Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. My late father, an aerospace engineer, spent years working for companies (Northrop-Grumman, General Electric) that built military aircraft.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

hey guys, just need some help with my the country 10 000 miles away, plz pm me
      sigpic
      Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Generally speaking, do the Military Police operate in pairs like regular police?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Generally speaking, do the Military Police operate in pairs like regular police?
          As far as I'm aware they do. When I used to go to camps on Royal Air Force stations I rarely saw a solo RAF policeman.
          Or a Red Cap for that matter.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Thanks.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Glad to help.
              I am not sure if it is the same elsewhere.

Comment

It works for my purposes.

Besides, it makes sense.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  It works for my purposes.

Besides, it makes sense.
                  I can understand that.

Comment

Anyone got any tips on naming characters? It's always been one of my weak points. I'm wanting to write a short series just for fun but the character names are getting in the way of starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                      Anyone got any tips on naming characters? It's always been one of my weak points. I'm wanting to write a short series just for fun but the character names are getting in the way of starting.
                      Try a random name generator - http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm
                      sigpic

Comment

With the random name generator--keep in mind that if you're trying to introduce characters of a particular nationality, you might want to stick within a pool of names from that country.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                          Human or non-human? Mostly, I consider who this character is going to be--nationality and where they are in time/space play a factor, as do characteristics. Strong characters need strong names, but if they are throw-away characters (walk-on rolls/extras), I just pull any name from a hat. If they are historical, bear in mind that names like "Taylor" or other names that are popular today might not have been then--many names had Biblical or regal roots.

My current NaNo project features Nephalim as the main characters and so I put into Google--"angel names" or "names of angels", then checked out meanings. I focused on fallen angels, as mythologically, the Nephalim were a cross between fallen angels and human females. Funny you should ask this, though, at this time--check out my blog for more about naming.

If my characters are Scandinavian, I'll put in "Scandinavian boy names" (or girl, whichever I'm looking for). Once I find the list of names and what they mean, I roll each one around a bit and see if Miss Muse approves (without her approval, the story ain't goin' anywhere ); the characters have to agree to their own names, too.

Hope that helps!
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                            ...if they are throw-away characters (walk-on rolls/extras), I just pull any name from a hat.
                            Minor characters like this don't necessarily need names. You can describe them by their jobs or what they're wearing. I've been told by professional writers that insisting on giving names (and using them) to every single character, no matter how minor, is a sign of amateurism.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              Minor characters like this don't necessarily need names. You can describe them by their jobs or what they're wearing. I've been told by professional writers that insisting on giving names (and using them) to every single character, no matter how minor, is a sign of amateurism.

Seaboe
                              Wow! Thanks for that last part. Looks like my coffee hadn't kicked in yet and I messed up; it's always good to know that there's someone on the internet who'll catch it when you do.

No, I'm not so "amateurish" that I'll name all the people in line at the post office with my main characters; I won't name the gas station attendant or the grocery clerk or the kid walking his dog down the street (or the dog), assuming that those people or places even make an appearance in the story. However, people in the lives of my MCs that are going to play a small role, but not have their own story, should have a name--just like guest characters on a show. My character's boss, who owns a bar & with whom she interacts in a scene or two (as does the hero), should have a name; the bar patrons--no (unless I'm writing a story set in the bar and they are regulars--Norm!). Those are the ones I meant when I said "walk-ons" and "extras".
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I go with the theory that if a character has a speaking part longer than a cameo, they need a name. I was told about over-naming in a panel on names. The speakers set out a few rules (don't use random apostrophes, don't use unpronounceable names, don't name every single character), then the panel was hijacked by some goon in the audience who was so proud of himself--yet he'd broken all three of those rules in his novel-in-progress. He didn't seem self-aware enough to realize he was bragging about violating the tenets the speakers had just given.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X