Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically, if you stick to "letter-numeral-letter dash numeral-numeral-numeral" as your formula, you're good. Well, that and being sure to use "P" as your first letter for gates on planets and "M" for gates on moons (this appears to be the generally-accepted formulation in most of canon and also in fanon). And always check here to make sure the address you're about to use has not been used before.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Has it ever been mentioned exactly what Jacob Carter did when he was an active General? As far as I know (or searched), it hasn't been stated.
      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
        Has it ever been mentioned exactly what Jacob Carter did when he was an active General? As far as I know (or searched), it hasn't been stated.
        Nope they didn't say. Jacob was seen wearing Command Pilot wings on his class A uniform jacket in Secrets.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
          Nope they didn't say. Jacob was seen wearing Command Pilot wings on his class A uniform jacket in Secrets.
          I'd say that if you can figure out what all of his decorations are, you'd be able to figure out Jacob's service history.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Yeah, thanks...maybe I could make up something then - perhaps something to do with pilot training or something?
            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

You can always skim through the many bios of AF personnel and find someone of a similar age, rank and history/medals&awards to see what would suit Jacob.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                You can always skim through the many bios of AF personnel and find someone of a similar age, rank and history/medals&awards to see what would suit Jacob.
                Col. John A. Warden III for example.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Yep, thanks much!
                  Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

This is probably a really daft question, but - how do military bases support themselves in food and other consumables?

Is it a case of a convoy of trucks shuttling back and forth between the base and the local Cash & Carry?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      This is probably a really daft question, but - how do military bases support themselves in food and other consumables?
                      Contractors. IOW, they might hire someone to run the commissary or else just someone to deliver the supplies. A lot of non-military people work on military bases.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Ok, thanks.
                        sigpic

Comment

"Contractors" only addresses the issue of who is employed in the commissary, etc. As far as the actual food and other supplies, here is how it works (this opens a PDF file from the government describing exactly how the procurement process operates).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I guess I have a different definition of contractor. Anyone who signs a contract with the government is a contractor. Which includes suppliers.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I think the question was how the actual supplies got to the bases and from where... and no, it isn't trucks full of local groceries. I was expanding on the answer.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I guess I can see that. I work for a company that has lots of employees on military bases, so I don't think of that aspect, I think about things like jurisdiction and what the military does itself versus what it hires other people to do.

Like, the military doesn't build airplanes, and while military personnel do the upkeep, there's always at least one representative of the company that does build the airplanes available to trouble shoot. Major repairs and reworks are done by the company that builds them.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X