GATECON & LEGENDS : THE HOMECOMING with RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    A little research and GPS can find you many of the shooting locations. After going on the tour a few times they can be relatively easy to find. I think the trickiest is Jack's cabin, which is a real residence by a very tiny little pond. My friends and I found and 'stalked' it the last time we were in vancouver.

As to the studio....well standing outside the fence is all that's really needed there. THe buildings may be the same but I'm sure the insides are totally changed.
    oh, I have no doubt - I was in vancouver a few years ago for Supernatural and visited a bunch of filming locations myself. Granted, I didn't have a car so a lot of them were hard/impossible to get to, but I did visit a number of the more obvious/reachable ones. But it's just so much more fun when you're doing it with lots of other people who are also going to squee with you over something as simple as a sidewalk, a pier, a streetlight, a plaza/square/fountain, a church...
    Help me save the Stargate convention! Creation announced that the 2016 Con will be the last one, but I'm trying to keep them going. Read more about the campaign HERE and join me to make it happen by liking THIS page and spreading the word!

"My mind rebels at stagnation." - Sherlock Holmes

My Blog: Monitoring Broadcast Signals

Comment

A little research and GPS can find you many of the shooting locations. After going on the tour a few times they can be relatively easy to find. I think the trickiest is Jack's cabin, which is a real residence by a very tiny little pond. My friends and I found and 'stalked' it the last time we were in vancouver.

As to the studio....well standing outside the fence is all that's really needed there. THe buildings may be the same but I'm sure the insides are totally changed.

And the lovely sign is gone...

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

discodiva the blocked rooms at the hotel are actually now sold out!

We secured another mini block over the main con days and that is likely to go today. After that the hotel will run a waiting list and once they get enough interest may offer us a new block at that rate, or they may revert to the regular rate.

Comment

Luckily for me, it doesn't matter.....my hubby and I will be staying Downtown and travelling over to the hotel for the con....I'm more worried about getting con tickets as I'll be away in Rome from 4th - 9th October, but hopefully will a) either have wifi if they go on sale then, or use my contingency plan - aka best friend - to purchase our two tickets for us...

As we always combine a con with a longer vacation renting or getting a suite is far more value for us and using public transport to travel in is better value in the long run....

Deeds xx
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a plan. We are actually hoping to stay on for an extra week or so this time to a)Recover and b)Recover

The last Vancouver event we did I had commitments at home so flew over from the UK on the Thursday and home again on Monday. Not sure if I even saw the outside world on that trip!!

Comment

I've done a 5-day long weekend break trip to Vancouver....in November in 2006...flew out Weds from Heathrow and home Sunday night from Vancouver, arriving Monday lunchtime....all to see the Stargate float lead the Rogers Christmas Parade....best fun in the world!!..exhausting, but fun!!!

sigpic

Comment

Wow! I love your guys' pictures, please post more! (the now-nonexistent Stargate sign makes me sad. I wonder what they did with it? They could've sold it for a lot of money...)
                Help me save the Stargate convention! Creation announced that the 2016 Con will be the last one, but I'm trying to keep them going. Read more about the campaign HERE and join me to make it happen by liking THIS page and spreading the word!

Comment

The last Vancouver convention I went to, we actually got to tour inside Jack's cabin. The couple was so funny, they couldn't understand why people wanted to see the cabin and property.
                  sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Photo taken on August 19, 2008: One of the several locations my friends and I visited.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, it has been literally years since I've posted anywhere on the GW Forum. But I've been hearing about the 2016 GateCon - I briefly entertained the notion that just maybe next year could be the year I can come to a SG con in Vancouver again, but now seeing that the hotel might already be booked out and con tix might sell out in 20 minutes (what?!!!!), well, I'm guessing it won't be too likely I can attend. Hope all of you who get to go have a fab time and share lots of stories and photos for the rest of us to enjoy vicariously.
                      OregonJen

Thanks for the VanCon sig, Nathan!

Comment

Originally posted by thephoenix77 View Post
                        hey krisz, ive sent an email to starwander to see if she has seen the news yet, might be making a return trip for this one...6 years is just wayy to long!
                        Yes indeed, six years already! Great to see you back on GW, and I sure hope Starwander can make it too.

Originally posted by Gatecon View Post
                        I guess after we launch ticket sales. If we sell out in 20 minutes like we did last time we had RDA then things would be looking very good for a repeat performance.
                        I remember that, getting up at 4.30am Vancouver time, wishing like anything that I would get one of the VIP tickets so I could get that photo op with RDA! I couldn't believe my luck when I was successful! I hope we don't have to go through that again!

Originally posted by ComtessedeBussy View Post
                        oh, I have no doubt - I was in vancouver a few years ago for Supernatural and visited a bunch of filming locations myself. Granted, I didn't have a car so a lot of them were hard/impossible to get to, but I did visit a number of the more obvious/reachable ones. But it's just so much more fun when you're doing it with lots of other people who are also going to squee with you over something as simple as a sidewalk, a pier, a streetlight, a plaza/square/fountain, a church...
                        I agree, it is so much more fun going to locations with fellow fans, I get to be excited about being in them all over again! I'm always happy to fill up my car with a bunch of people and wander off around Stargateland. I agree, you get to see more locations and more out of the way ones with the car. With Gatecon being in Richmond you're not far from Steveston and some more out of the way locations that most people will have not visited on self run tours. Of course there are always the more popular locations like Jack's cabin that everyone wants to see.

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                        I've done a 5-day long weekend break trip to Vancouver....in November in 2006...flew out Weds from Heathrow and home Sunday night from Vancouver, arriving Monday lunchtime....all to see the Stargate float lead the Rogers Christmas Parade....best fun in the world!!..exhausting, but fun!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/dancingwallnut/rogersparade_002a.jpg
                        I remember you saying you did that, makes me a bad fan when I couldn't decide whether to go and I only live a few miles away!

I did however have a great time when they still did the Halloween Haunted Studio Tours a few weeks before at the Bridge studios. Got to wander around the Atlantis set and we were set upon by zombies! They had cobwebs all over the gate. There was also a wonderful 'vampire war' stunt presentation in the 'village set' that was amazing. I also got to sit down and have a rest in a puddle jumper too. It was great value for the $35 entry ticket!

Wow, can't believe it about how quickly the rooms at the hotel have been booked. I was thinking of spending a couple of nights there so I didn't have to drive to and from home with the long day in between as I find that really tiring. It was so much better when I had a room to go back to and have a rest when I got tired. Sitting in the hotel lobby or the car isn't as relaxing! I guess I'll just have to see what is available next year and drive if I can't get a room or the cost is just ridiculous. Getting a cab so I can relax on the journey doesn't really help, that costs almost as much as a room for the night for the return journey!

Comment

If I'm remembering right there are other hotels a block or two away. Walking distance (for the averagely enabled person)

Pull up the hotel on google maps, then look to see what else is in the immediate vicinity.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If I'm remembering right there are other hotels a block or two away. Walking distance (for the averagely enabled person)

Pull up the hotel on google maps, then look to see what else is in the immediate vicinity.
                            You're right. There are hotels nearby and some at lesser cost than the Sheraton special rate. If you aren't in easy walking distance you may be able to share cab fare with others to/from the con hotel.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OregonJen View Post
                              Well, it has been literally years since I've posted anywhere on the GW Forum. But I've been hearing about the 2016 GateCon - I briefly entertained the notion that just maybe next year could be the year I can come to a SG con in Vancouver again, but now seeing that the hotel might already be booked out and con tix might sell out in 20 minutes (what?!!!!), well, I'm guessing it won't be too likely I can attend. Hope all of you who get to go have a fab time and share lots of stories and photos for the rest of us to enjoy vicariously.
                              Oh Jennie it would be lovely if you could come!..we're going to do our best to get tickets and probably stay Downtown somewhere and drive in if it all pans out...

Problem is that Gatecon haven't indicated how many tickets they are going to release...if it's only a couple of hundred then of course they will sell out within minutes, but Creation haven't sold out of their 500-600 tickets usually in the past...I was able to buy a Day Ticket at the 2008 Gatecon, but until we know what sort of a fighting chance we'll get, we are all "up in the air"....I'm not booking anything till I get the Con Tickets, yes I've missed out on the hotel choice (but I didn't want to stay there anyway - bad memories ) but it'll be easier to choose a hotel/apartment/accommodation and worry about flights etc once I know I'm DEFINITELY going to the Con...

A Mini-DJ Hussy reunion would be wonderful....all the Shanks' Girls together again...well as many as can possibly make it... *dusts out the old Whisk*

Deeds xx
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                                Oh Jennie it would be lovely if you could come!..we're going to do our best to get tickets and probably stay Downtown somewhere and drive in if it all pans out...

Problem is that Gatecon haven't indicated how many tickets they are going to release...if it's only a couple of hundred then of course they will sell out within minutes, but Creation haven't sold out of their 500-600 tickets usually in the past...I was able to buy a Day Ticket at the 2008 Gatecon, but until we know what sort of a fighting chance we'll get, we are all "up in the air"....I'm not booking anything till I get the Con Tickets, yes I've missed out on the hotel choice (but I didn't want to stay there anyway - bad memories ) but it'll be easier to choose a hotel/apartment/accommodation and worry about flights etc once I know I'm DEFINITELY going to the Con...

A Mini-DJ Hussy reunion would be wonderful....all the Shanks' Girls together again...well as many as can possibly make it... *dusts out the old Whisk*

Deeds xx
                                The Sheraton is a Starwood property, I was under the impression that with Starwood properties you book now, pay when you arrive, and have free cancellation until the day of your arrival. Granted, I'm basing this on the Westin in Chicago where the STargate cons usually happen, but it's the same program (Starwood) that runs these hotels. It's always more fun to stay in the hotel with everyone else, but hotels in Vancouver are expensive enough that I can see why you'd consider another hotel - it's definitely a good option. There's a lot of hotels near the Vancouver airport.

Also, do the actors stay at the hotel for Vancouver cons? I know most of them live in Vancouver, so do they stay at the hotel or do they just get driven to the con from their home?

Comment

Working...
                                X