No announcement yet.

2016 Creation Entertainment Stargate Convention - Chicago September 23-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sad and if I might be allowed my own personal opinion, very shoddy treatment from a Company, that if I'm hearing right, is probably a lot to blame for letting fans get out of control at these autograph sessions...

At least from what I'm hearing, Stargate has gone out with a decent enough of a bang with both Gatecon and Chicon this year and Michael Shanks did say that there will be other cons which is true, they might just be in a different format to what has been the "norm" over the past few years..
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
      Michael Shanks did say that there will be other cons which is true, they might just be in a different format to what has been the "norm" over the past few years..
      I do not remember him saying this, do you have any more details?
      sigpic

Comment

No I wasn't there...a friend mentioned it to me in passing
        sigpic
        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

A few of the actors seemed to disbelieve that this was the last one. Either they were being optimistic or referring to other cons. Maybe our con will return in 2018, who knows?
          sigpic

Comment

I did hear some mention that they believed there should be more conventions, I feel like it was either Joe or Paul.
            Some people from the Facebook page are sending in emails, I am not sure how well it will work but I tried anyways. I expressed that I felt like after the reboots happen that they could probably bring in a bigger crowd.
            Last edited by Kalyov; 28 September 2016, 05:28 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Last edited by Zylek; 10 October 2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                I think they have a new "golden ticket" lined up with the amount of Once Upon A Time Cons announced and getting both the actors that play Emma and Hook on board....if the "rumblings of discontent" on Social Media amongst the SPN crowd now that it's been announced that unless you have a Gold or Silver ticket, the main two actors won't be signing autographs for separate autograph tickets...aka you will get a pre signed one but not be able to meet them face to face and have it done at the table unless you're Gold or Silver....lot of unhappy, poorer, fans in that fandom at the moment if what I'm reading on Twitter is correct...
                Really? Hmmm... I've been considering whether or not to try to go to the Vancouver convention but if they're going to pull that kind of stunt I'm not really sure if I want to anymore. It really would be false advertising as they're section for autographs makes it explicitly clear that any autograph ticket you purchase gets you an in-person autograph. Considering how the prices for autographs have been jacked up from this past year.

Originally posted by Zylek View Post
                However, even if the licensing thing is true, then legally a non-profit, volunteer-type group - and Gatecon was all about charity, thanks mostly to Rick's request (in order to be a guest) and with support from Amanda's charity - a group like the Gatecon organizers could still continue to run their conventions.
                Gatecon will definitely be returning next year, though the specifics have not yet been announced. All that is known is it is titled "The Invasion" and will be back at the Sheraton.

Comment

Although I enjoyed my time at the convention in Chicago, meeting several people, hanging out with the Stargate cast, partying with the Stargate cast after hours late into the night (which was free social time with them, and way better than any "meet & greet" that people pay for), I probably won't go to it next year if they have another one. People were talking about due to licensing, Creation Ent no longer has permission to run the conventions.

Being the 20-year anniversary of the start of the TV spin-offs, if there's a Gatecon in Vancouver, then I'll try to go to that instead. This year's Gatecon had nearly 40 Stargate cast/crew as guests, plus it's in the home town of the shows, and it's even a volunteer-run convention, not a money-grubbing business like Creation Ent. That also means it's time to start saving pennies now, and to buy the pass as soon as possible. Also need a passport.

If the whole licensing thing is true about Creation Ent not having permission, that might apply to other groups providing SG conventions. That would explain why this year's "homecoming" Gatecon was called homecoming and it might also be the last. It could mark the beginning of the new era of Stargate being handed back to Devlin and Emmerich.

However, even if the licensing thing is true, then legally a non-profit, volunteer-type group - and Gatecon was all about charity, thanks mostly to Rick's request (in order to be a guest) and with support from Amanda's charity - a group like the Gatecon organizers could still continue to run their conventions.

It would be absolutely cruel to supporters of the TV branch of the franchise if the 20-year anniversary of the TV shows doesn't have a convention in Vancouver, and that would be Gatecon.
                  MGM owns the name "Stargate" lock, stock, and barrel. To hold an official "Stargate" convention, Creation had to "buy" a license to use the name "Stargate" for their conventions plus give a percentage of the convention sales back to MGM. With series cancellations, the attendance dwindled. In Vancouver, the last standing set tours was in 2009. We didn't get to see the SGU sets at Bridge Studios. If you look at the very bottom of the GW homepage, you'll see the info about MGM copyrights.

Comment

Zylek,

I'm glad you enjoyed your first convention and got to hang out with some of the cast & crew after hours. Like you, I don't know that I would go to another Creation Entertainment convention. Regarding your plans for GateCon Vancouver in 2017: I went in 2008 and would love to go again. I had a blast at that convention and Vancouver is a fantastic city to visit. Go for the Gatecon, stay for the city! And, since you never know when you might have to make a quick getaway, it's always good to have a current passport

Comment

It was a total blast! I'm actually still at the convention hotel as I write this. Some of the Stargate cast have been hanging out after it finished each night, chilling at the bar with people, talking, or hanging out wherever. It's awesome.

There were a couple screw-ups with the booking (bundle deal for flight + car + hotel) but they've been straightened out. I will probably never use expedia again.

I'm curious how the Star Trek convention differed from the Stargate one.
                      I just found the people at the Stargate conventions a lot more friendly. It is almost like they are one big family. How they are structured are the same since Creation does them. My only guess is there are way more Star Trek fans than Stargate fans and therefore I think maybe the Stargate fans are just more interested in getting to know other fans. Many of us (I know I am) the only person I know who is a fan, so getting together with others who are fans of Stargate just seems special. I've had a really good friend from college that is a Star Trek fan as well so I'm never had to look for Star Trek fans....they are everywhere (or it seems that way). Finding a Stargate fan is just something special. And it is always nice to share something you love with others who also love it.

For me personally I walked away from the Star Trek convention and I'm not sure I met one single person (although I'm an introvert and didn't really try) but it was impossible to walk away from the Stargate convention and feel like I hadn't talked to a ton of people. I was even in the ladies restroom last year and someone asked me "Oh are you getting in line for the MS photo op". It was like everyone almost knew everyone and everyone was just friends hanging out.

Comment

Last edited by Zylek; 10 October 2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Talk of gold/silver stuff sounds like a Creation Ent thing.

I'm glad to hear Gatecon's returning next year! I'm going to start saving my pennies.

The Invasion, eh? I wonder why that name. Prior to The Homecoming, did it always have a name?

I cannot believe Creation's Chicago convention for Stargate is "official" even if they have some silly license. The only official one, in my personal opinion, can be the one in Vancouver.

Plugging in the property-of statement is pretty standard for any website that focuses on a property owned by anyone other than themselves, or at least it is a standard expectation.

Anyway, the transition to Devlin & Emmerich's Stargate would be good reason for any potential license relating to the TV shows to expire with regard to conventions.

I think it's great that Stargate people at conventions are more friendly than elsewhere. I got that vibe when I was at the Chicago event. Of course, I wish there was a better way or an easier way to stay in contact with everybody I met. I should've had and handed out a business card with a website for the sole purpose of staying in contact with fellow Stargate fans printed on it. lol Oh well. I see what you mean about it being special to find a Stargate fan. They're not an all-over-the-place type.

That's a bummer that you left the Star Trek convention and didn't actually meet anybody at it. I was actually a bit surprised about how I was with the Stargate convention. I am usually quite introverted, shy, keep to myself, definitely not a social butterfly, although it was very easy to make new friends at the Stargate convention. Only had a chance to continue staying in contact with just a few of them, but that's still pretty neat.

That's funny about when you were in the ladies restroom. I met one of the Stargate cast members at a neighboring urinal in the men's restroom. Kind of weird! lol
                          Wow, you have no clue about the owner of GateWorld do you? With that mentioned, MGM is only allowing Devlin and Emmerich to continue to use the "Stargate" theme to finish what was originally started. Devlin has already said that the "reboot" won't be like the original movie or the tv franchise.

Comment

<ignoring scifigirlsg>
                            Last edited by Zylek; 10 October 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

That's a bummer that you left the Star Trek convention and didn't actually meet anybody at it. I was actually a bit surprised about how I was with the Stargate convention. I am usually quite introverted, shy, keep to myself, definitely not a social butterfly, although it was very easy to make new friends at the Stargate convention. Only had a chance to continue staying in contact with just a few of them, but that's still pretty neat.
                              No worries on me not meeting anyone. As I said I am an introvert and I'm not unhappy or uncomfortable floating around in the back of the room during the conventions. If I remember right, at last year's Star Trek con that's exactly what I did. I didn't even sit in a seat, I just either stood in the back or sad down along the wall. I likely was eating stuff too which have made me even more stay away from the group. I'm actually ok if I don't meet people and just come and go and no one even knows I'm there. It doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out the difference between the two cons as you almost can't leave the Stargate con without having talked to someone.

Comment

No worries on me not meeting anyone. As I said I am an introvert and I'm not unhappy or uncomfortable floating around in the back of the room during the conventions. If I remember right, at last year's Star Trek con that's exactly what I did. I didn't even sit in a seat, I just either stood in the back or sat down along the wall. I likely was eating stuff too which have made me even more stay away from the group. I'm actually ok if I don't meet people and just come and go and no one even knows I'm there. It doesn't bother me. I was just pointing out the difference between the two cons as you almost can't leave the Stargate con without having talked to someone.

Comment

Working...
                                X