Hawaii Con (September 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iheartcam View Post
    A friend of mine asked if she could get her money back because she booked a tour with Rachel. They offered to credit her amount toward a tour with someone else, and told her that they would offer cash back refunds only after the con and only on a case by case basis. That doesn't sound very promising. Hopefully, the response you get is better!
    I'm still discussing with their customer support. They've offered to move my funds to something else, but I prepaid for everything I expected I'd want because I wanted to help bootstrap the convention. I don't mind waiting until after the event for a refund.

Also, did Hawaiicon notify you in any way that the actors had been cancelled? The other 3 friends I am going with had absolutely no idea until I mentioned it a couple weeks ago. I'm worried there are fans out there who are going to be completely blindsided because they are expecting to see certain actors/guests.
    I have not heard anything directly, I think I heard it here first. They emailed my pre-wife about a week ago to tell her that the horseback riding with Dan was canceled and that they would reschedule her on any of the remaining events for no additional charge. If I remember right, the list included several helicopter tours (which she won't do this close to the wedding), the dinner sail with Paul and Torri (which we had already signed up for), a night snorkeling trip (she didn't want to go at night) and a morning snorkeling with Aaron Douglas. She took the last one mostly by elimination.

I'm sure the event will be a good time, and we finally bought our plane tickets last Saturday. I'm mostly disappointed with the lack of communication about this, and I've said that to them directly via twitter and email.

Comment

Getting on my plane in 17hrs. WoooHoooo
      Where there's a will there's an or.....

Creation Con - Vancouver 2007
      sigpic
      Gatecon - Vancouver 2010
      HUB - Perth Western Australia 2010
      Oz Comic Con 2012 - Melbourne, 2015 - Sydney
      Oz Comic Con 2013 & 2014 - Perth
      Hawaii Con 2014 and 2016

Comment

My journey begins in just over 24 hours. Spending Monday night in Milwaukee and then after 3 flights over 15 hours and 5 time zones, I will arrive late afternoon on Tuesday, though I won't get to the resort until Wednesday afternoon. To all of you coming, PLEASE...don't be a stranger. If you see me, come say "Hi!". See all of you soon!
        Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
        Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
        Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
        Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
        Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
        Con-Version Calgary 2010
        C2E2 2013-2015
        TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
        Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
        Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
        FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

I will be leaving in about 36 hours (with my brother who is tagging along). We're spending Wednesday in Honolulu. My brother has never been and really wants to see Pearl Harbor so we're taking a day tour before jumping over to the Big Island. We'll be at the resort Wednesday evening.

Don't really want to think about the total hours flying+connection time. Frequent flier miles = a couple lay overs each way.
          John Sheppard - thunkable, whumpable but absolutely NOT shippable - he's mine and I'm keeping him.

sigpic
          sig and avi by mrscopterdoc for Secret Santa 2015
          Recommended Sheppard/Team Sheppard Fics

Comment

I feel like such a slacker because we're not leaving until Thursday morning.

Comment

What are people's impressions now that it's over?

Comment

Originally posted by jo2y View Post
                What are people's impressions now that it's over?
                That's what I am curious about. I know they are planning another con next year - my big issue with attending that is it is right after Dragon*Con.
                sigpic

Comment

I'd like to know also, seems from the photos people were having a nice time. Looked relaxing anyway. Just wonder if they got enough people to cover the costs that they needed.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'd like to know that as well. How as the con? Was it worth the expense and travel? From the pics I have seen it does look very lovely and relaxing. Depending upon the guests next year I might consider this con again...if my finances would allow it, that is. LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

tickets are up for 2015 on facebook

Comment

I attended this con, and if you want a con that is relaxing for both guests and fans, interactive activities with the guests, i.e sunset cruise, star gazing etc. plus other activities that were offered at discount prices. Little to no line ups for photo ops and autographs, small intimate panels as well as the big ones, not to mention the most fantastic site seeing, then this is the con for you.

This is part of my experience. I bought a VIP ticket. Usual deal, 1st 3 rows. I sat in on a Richard Hatch panel. this panel was one of the small ones approx. 25-30. I could here every word. When i sat in on Torri Higginsons panel there was another panel at the same time that I wanted to see. Apparently so did Torri. She suggested that we merge the panels. So after a few questions from the people attending her panel we all crashed the other panel. Women in Sci-fi I think it was called. I loved the fact that no one stopped us quoting contracts etc. I saw another panel by Esme Bianco as i was walking by and she had moved the group out on to the small grassed coutyard area. Again, no one prevented this from happening. The guests were great. I don't think they felt hassled. Most of the time they were left to their own devices so they went to the pool or beach. The fans (including me) did not disturb them overly much.

Anyone was allowed in the autograph room which was an outside courtyard. It got a bit windy but i think that overall the guests loved it. (they just had to put paperweights on so that their photos etc wouldn't blow away) It was NOT cold. It was NOT raining.

The vendors room was a little tight, but the stuff that was on sale was fantastic.

Not everything was about Science fiction. There was actual science panels and vendors. I heard about the 30 metre telescope that is going to be built. For me this is a new aspect that i haven't seen previously at another convention.

I bought a one on one with Paul McGillion. Originally this was supposed to be held in one of the office suites. Paul was down by the pool and asked if we could change the venue. I agreed and we stayed by the pool. He even bought me a drink. Again no one interupted us and his handler was great. Although it was called a one on one, a small group was allowed. I bought a friend along. The conversation did not feel stilted or rehersed in any way.

I know that there were some exeptions and some people had a few issues. But what con does not have that happen. My experience was that it one of the best cons that i have attended. This is not a reflection that the other cons that i have attended have been bad by any means, or that this one did not need tweeking. But throughout the whole weekend the atmosphere was very relaxed, so i was relaxed. I will come back again and I think that it is worth the expense.

I even rented a car and drove on the wrong side of the road! At night time too! Pats myself on the back.
                        Where there's a will there's an or.....

Creation Con - Vancouver 2007
                        sigpic
                        Gatecon - Vancouver 2010
                        HUB - Perth Western Australia 2010
                        Oz Comic Con 2012 - Melbourne, 2015 - Sydney
                        Oz Comic Con 2013 & 2014 - Perth
                        Hawaii Con 2014 and 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantia View Post
                          I attended this con, and if you want a con that is relaxing for both guests and fans, interactive activities with the guests, i.e sunset cruise, star gazing etc. plus other activities that were offered at discount prices. Little to no line ups for photo ops and autographs, small intimate panels as well as the big ones, not to mention the most fantastic site seeing, then this is the con for you.

This is part of my experience. I bought a VIP ticket. Usual deal, 1st 3 rows. I sat in on a Richard Hatch panel. this panel was one of the small ones approx. 25-30. I could here every word. When i sat in on Torri Higginsons panel there was another panel at the same time that I wanted to see. Apparently so did Torri. She suggested that we merge the panels. So after a few questions from the people attending her panel we all crashed the other panel. Women in Sci-fi I think it was called. I loved the fact that no one stopped us quoting contracts etc. I saw another panel by Esme Bianco as i was walking by and she had moved the group out on to the small grassed coutyard area. Again, no one prevented this from happening. The guests were great. I don't think they felt hassled. Most of the time they were left to their own devices so they went to the pool or beach. The fans (including me) did not disturb them overly much.

Anyone was allowed in the autograph room which was an outside courtyard. It got a bit windy but i think that overall the guests loved it. (they just had to put paperweights on so that their photos etc wouldn't blow away) It was NOT cold. It was NOT raining.

The vendors room was a little tight, but the stuff that was on sale was fantastic.

Not everything was about Science fiction. There was actual science panels and vendors. I heard about the 30 metre telescope that is going to be built. For me this is a new aspect that i haven't seen previously at another convention.

I bought a one on one with Paul McGillion. Originally this was supposed to be held in one of the office suites. Paul was down by the pool and asked if we could change the venue. I agreed and we stayed by the pool. He even bought me a drink. Again no one interupted us and his handler was great. Although it was called a one on one, a small group was allowed. I bought a friend along. The conversation did not feel stilted or rehersed in any way.

I know that there were some exeptions and some people had a few issues. But what con does not have that happen. My experience was that it one of the best cons that i have attended. This is not a reflection that the other cons that i have attended have been bad by any means, or that this one did not need tweeking. But throughout the whole weekend the atmosphere was very relaxed, so i was relaxed. I will come back again and I think that it is worth the expense.

I even rented a car and drove on the wrong side of the road! At night time too! Pats myself on the back.
                          Thanks, nice to hear some feedback.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like you had a terrific time!
                            sigpic

Comment

So, what sort of numbers did they pull?

Deeds xx
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Glad to hear the people who went had a nice time.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X