This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kri
    4. Bravo to Gatecon for being a charity run event. Creation is ALSO a charity run event. They have the same kind of charity auctions throughout the weekend. But also remember that while Creation is in this because it is a business, so is Stargate. Why do you folks think we are having a season 9? Because when it comes right down to it, the show is about money.

just my opinions.
    I want to correct Kri on this point. Creation is not a charity run event. They have never claimed to be one. They are a for profit company. There's nothing wrong with that.

Creation does sometimes have a Sunday breakfast at its events where the money goes to charity. This is always clearly stated. If it doesn't mention a charity, then the breakfast is not for charity.

And they usually have items in its auctions with the proceeds for charity. But these are selected items that they clearly state are for charity. The other items are not. I know that some charity items have been donated by someone other than Creation and they are just weaving the item into their general auction. If it's a charity item, then the bidding can go over the retail price of the item. If it's not a charity item, Creation stops the bidding at retail. They don't make you pay more than what you would pay by stepping into the dealer room. It's mostly all their stuff anyway, they have a lot of the official merchandise licenses, especially the photo licenses. They pretty much have a lock on those.

Creation has not always had charity events. It is a relatively recent thing, starting with their Xena conventions and spreading thru their other shows when they saw it was good pr and the fans liked paying for the opportunity of meeting the guests close up. Other conventions were doing breakfasts/dinner/happy hour/whatever before Creation.

Creation started having the breakfasts before they had the "pay for a photo op". Which again did not start with Creation, but they were savvy enough to see how well it went over with the fans.

Other conventions were doing charity events long before Creation decided to do so. And I'm not saying they don't have good hearts about the charity events. I'm just saying that charity is not what Creation is about.

Not having been to GateCon (and currently unable to access their site because of a dns problem, my fault), I don't know what their policy is. But I got the impression from this thread that all the money raised from the event goes to charity, not just money from selected events/items.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

in the past 5 years, gatecon has raised over 100,000 dollars for Make a wish, and i don't know how much Sekh's party has raised. They've also raised a lot of money for the canadian Cystic Fibrosis foundation (jr bourne's niece, Maddy has the disease and he supports it)
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to admit that I'm a little confused now. The Gatecon e-mail and what David got from Creation are kind of conflicting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Perhaps 'walk a mile'

It might benefit both sides to volunteer with each others convention ... thus getting a look inside.

I resisted working for the mouse, but had the opportunity to work on a joint Loony/Mouse project. I was surprised at the excellent orgainzation they presented, and have added those 'positives' to Loonyville.
          The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            I have to admit that I'm a little confused now. The Gatecon e-mail and what David got from Creation are kind of conflicting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...and just like when a certain actor left the show, none of us are likely to ever know what really happened/happens

we're just victims of it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              If you want to clear the good name of Creation, that's fine, but try not to do what you think some of us are doing- misrepresenting the facts.
              I do have more than one friend who was turned away for photo ops they purchased though. Sorry, but I've heard quite a few bad experiences come out of Gatecon as well.
              Webbgirl
              Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
              My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Webbgirl
                I do have more than one friend who was turned away for photo ops they purchased though. Sorry, but I've heard quite a few bad experiences come out of Gatecon as well.
                Photo ops and panels are extremely different things. No one was turned away from panels. Photos always get screwed up.

Comment

Photos always get screwed up.

Photo Ops always get messed-up.

Seats are to far apart, stemming from camera, actor, and backdrop issues.
                  Lines way too long, as it is a great opportunity. People never listen to directions, too many want to sit on Michael’s lap, bring in food, their own cameras.

And then those photographers who think they are Annie Lebovitz.
                  The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Photo ops and panels are extremely different things. No one was turned away from panels. Photos always get screwed up.

they are very different things. gatecon 2004 was plagued by two things

being sold out
                    over 50% of those attending being newbies

being sold out meant a larger crowd than they'd ever dealt with. all the newbies meant that there were more wanting to experience it all.

I've been 4 times. I skipped the autos because the only ones i wanted were amanda or chris, who weren't signing. i didn't even queue. I went up to my room and laid down and tried to regain feeling in my feet.

There were 15 actors doing photos. I only wanted ones with amanda, teryl, corin and chris. I waited and got my two pictures. Others waited and waited and got up to fifteen separate pictures. That's a lot and it takes time. I know that one person was in the photo room for over an hour to get her 15 different shots.

I'm not making excuses for Gatecon. the pictures were messed up and not only were they complicated by an overwhelming number of actors and fans, but also computer issues as well.

Every convention has its issues and, to the best of my knowledge (and i know folks will correct me if i'm wrong) all the superpass holders, who were the only ones who were guaranteed pictures - tripass holders are not guaranteed pictures, they are told up front that they get thier pics - if time allows - got their pictures.

It may not have been the pictures they wanted. The last however many were given a choice of a group shot at a set price (i think it was roughly $50, which consideriing every one but the 'big 3' was priced at $15 each, with amanda, chris and michael being $25 each, their picture was 'worth' nearly/over $250 dollars) but it was a picture.

Like i said, they're not perfect, but they try. And i encourage anyone who has suggestions to e-mail gatecon with them. Let them know your concerns and if you have solutions, speak up. They do listen and learn from each year to try and fix issues.

sigpic

Comment

I recieved this email from Creation this morning, which says the same as what David did before:

Afraid you have it wrong. There are no exclusive contracts in Star Trek or Stargate and Gatecon failed to make a deal with MGM. Our contracts with the actors are the same as any promoter has.

MGM owns the property, and in fact we helped Gatecon get their studio tours last year when they were not going to.

MGM wanted us and Gatecon to work together, they passed. MGM has issues with the Gatecon people, so get your facts straight. No one is stopping them from running their convention, they are doing it again.

Now I guess its just a game of who do we believe??

Comment

Look, neither group is going to be perfect. Both Creation and Gatecon do indeed have flaws that they are working out. But name me one business/organization that doesn't. One. Fact is, they both are offering fans some awesome opportunities and neither Creation nor Gatecon should be brushed aside. Give 'em a chance!

Comment

I can't afford to give Creation a chance! $500?! Jeez. PLUS travel expenses. Forget that.

Comment

Well for the next year it's not a problem for me as another thing called 'high school' is getting in the way of me travelling to Canada

We'll see the year after!!!

Good luck to both Creation and Gatecon

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim
                              Seats are to far apart, stemming from camera, actor, and backdrop issues.
                              Lines way too long, as it is a great opportunity. People never listen to directions, too many want to sit on Michael’s lap, bring in food, their own cameras.
                              Now we are getting into personal issues! Lines: partly due to people joining when they don't have to. People not listening is going to happen at any con.

As for seats too far appart! LOL. Having been to a load of UK cons my first reaction when I saw the seats at Gatecon was 'Great! They've actually got space between the seats!' Then I realised the average size of attendee was larger and you could easily end up as cramped as in the UK!

I'm slightly above average, and also have back and neck problems (and I'm a bit claustrophobic), so having someone leaning on me for hours because there's not enough space is my idea of hell. For me the further the seats are appart the better! (OK, actually there would be an upper limit around half a chairs width... but you get my point! LOL)
                              My 100 Mile Challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                                And I guess I am one of the weirder ones NOT being a fan of all of these other shows as well
                                Weird maybe, but not the only one. I've never watched any of the other Sci-fi shows either.

Comment

Working...
                                X