Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate is my all time favorite show. It made me join the air force. I am proud of my job, and love doing with the hope that one day we will encounter another being from space. The show has helped me through some tough times. My drug abuse, and depression. Now I have a great job and 2 beautiful girls and Stargate deserves some of the credit. I will watch any episode or movie any day of any week!! In short, I love this series and will always be a fan!!!

Comment

Well, I don't think I can compete with some of the other entries for this contest, I'm a relative newbie to the Stargate world compared to some others, I've also never been to a convention of any kind. But, I will say that it has been a long while since I have found and enjoyed a series as much as the Stargate series. I was so clueless that I've actually been watching them in reverse order, started with Universe and now am on to Atlantis. I wasn't really sure I could get into another series as I loved Universe so much, but Atlantis has really won me over. After a long day of work and family it's been a real pleasure to sit down and watch something that is sure to put a smile on my face and erase the days stresses. I would just love to experience a convention, sounds pretty awesome! Good luck every one!

Comment

How Stargate has affected my life*?

Well, it changed it in many ways. When the show first aired in my country (France), I was about 11. I basically grew up watching SG-1 and Atlantis. Adolescence is a tough time in somebody's life and Stargate was my way to escape reality for about 40 minutes each and every day. Now, after watching the show over and over again, I still see it as a wonderful window to another world where the troubles that I can have in my life are insignificant compared to what the kick-ass SG Teams face on a daily basis. Simply put, it made me a very positive person who always try not to complain about anything.

Stargate also made me curious about a lot of different things, like learning more about the different cultures in our world. I guess that Daniel Jackson influenced me a little, lol. And even something as simple as looking at the stars make me think about the show*: I always recall Sam saying to Jack that «*only a few planets with a Stargate are visible to the naked eye*» and I can't help but trying to figure out which stars has a gate, lol.

In essence, Stargate has affected my life the best way possible*: it opened me up to all the «*worlds*» that are contained in our own planet, and made me meet some great people. I've been a hardcore Stargate fan for almost 14 years now and I always will be*!

Comment

How has stargate affected my life? I could write an entire book based on that one question; with respect to everyone else ill ATTEMPT to keep my answer somewhat coherent...
          -The women greatly influenced the way I precieve women, and what is and is not "sexy". I think that the female cast of the show did an amazing job of depicting a woman's strength, character, and intelligence as sexy traits. In turn I think that the show influenced my respect, admiration, and love of all women. On a side note, I'd like to say that while the women of star gate are gorgeous, they are by no means skin and bone. These women had curves; they are women with a woman's body, and did not go along with some ridiculous/potentially health hazard standard that women must me deathly skinnee. The female characters also played important roles, and kicked as much ass as any of the male characters. I definitely admired that.
          -Christopher Judge proved that a black man could play a serious part in a sci-fi series that everyone could identify with. I really do think that his work on the show helped round up some edges in a transition from ignorance to acceptance; that strange period between the equal rights movement of the violent 60's to a more educated/accepting modern age. My mother allways recalled my favorite character as the "big black guy with the gold **** on his head"; mom could never tell a lie, but it retrospect it's interesting to remember Teal'c as a hero for all. In that way Stargate, Judge, Teal'c, etc stood out in my mind as a illustration of the plight of the weak many vs. the privledged few (system lords).
          -Characters like Daniel Jackson, and Samantha Carter made it sexy to be a nerd. Though I would love to give Micheal Shanks hell for going from the wheezing nerd, to the stud taking his shirt off every other episode. Daniel Jackson got more women than a twilight convention; not only that, but he got the most beautiful women possible. It made me read more, and try to learn math....and work out cause there's noway that Shanks love affair with hockey didn't give him those pecks. Damn, Shanks.
          -Stargate has greatly affected what I believe about religion, and it's place in society. More specifically, religious oppression vs. true spiritual enlightenment. I also contribute the show with some of the views i have in regards to acceptance of all religions (so long as these religions do not hinder the rights of others). It (stargate) also taught me to kill false Gods.
          -Most importantly Stargate gave me an escape from the cruelty of the world. Puberty sucks. It was nice to have something somewhat wholesome that did not waiver from expressing true humanity. The characters were flawed, had problems, were good/sometimes bad. Not everything in the series was so cut dry; there was alot of grey area. I've had problems with shades of grey my entire life. At least Stargate exposed me to it. Stargate also gave me a respect of the military, and a respect/acknowledgement for civic duty. Stargate also managed to make Canada seem more to me in my mind than just some big American state (please remember I live in the South, and Canada is a great distance away; more of an idea then an actual place that I could visit) not yet made sovereign. The show gave me more of a view of cultures I had not yet experienced, and for that I am grateful. I also give the show credit for influencing me in my love of sociology/anthopology, pyschology,history, science fiction, and my intense attraction to Amanda Tapping, and Claudia Black.
          Hope this was a decent enough of answer, and did not step on any toes. I've never been one to know what "modest" meant.

Life long fan,
          Patrick (aka. bascotty)

Comment

I feel like Stargate has changed my life for the better. I keep kicking myself for not watching it when it was actually on the air. I missed it! I started watching it from the beginning at the end of 2010. I went through the whole series using a list from another thread on this website listing episodes of SG1 and SGA and the order in which they aired. I think this really enhanced the experience. No one around me, friends, roommate, could understand why I was constantly watching his show. I didnt care. Something about the writing and the acting makes you feel like you are there with the characters, like you know them. When I was done with SG1, SGA, and SGU. I was so sad. luckily not long after the world wide rewatch started, and I also met a really great guy. I told him I was going to participate in the rewatch and he was onboard. We are still not done yet with season ten, but he is loving every episode we watch! It feels great to be able to share this show with someone else who appreciates it like I do, and even though I have seen it its like I am watching it for the first time. We talk about the episodes and social issues they may touch on which helps us bond and become closer. He even bought me one of the SG1 collectors books off this site for christmas, and it was the best christmas ever! I have never cried from happiness so much haha. I know Stargate will always be a part of our lives, even if MGM does not revive the series or do anything else with it.

Comment

So many things come to mind when i think how Stargate changed my life. I first found the show flipping through channels on vacation when i was young and quickly fell in love with show. I first played catch up on the first five seasons and decided this forever would be my favorite show. I continued to watch the show throughout the years growing up and having the cast and the characters effect my life and i even felt that they were a part of my life. I was heartbroken when the show was finally cancelled but i knew all good things must come to and end. The show simply put changed my life and il never get tired of watching it as long as i live.

Comment

I started watching stargate when I was little and fell in love with the show. The character Daniel Jackson was my favorite and made me fall in love with history. I decided then that I was going to Study History in College. Watching stargate sg1 and Atlantis with my family was one of the fondest memories of my life. My mom loves Jack O’Neill and my dad loves Tealc. They didn’t like the show at first mostly because they thought it was some cheesy Sci fi show, but as time went on they began to love it completely. Stargate is always on my mind and it will always be a part of me forever.

Comment

I watched Children of the Gods during my senior year of college on Hulu Plus. Over the following four weeks leading up to finals I managed to squeeze in every episode of SG-1, SG-A and all the films in order of air date. It was the most mesmerizing month. I had always been a bit of a sci-fi geek but I had met my dream show in Stargate.

I wanted to travel to other worlds, meet creatures from other planets, ancient Earth cultures and see unbelievable things. I wanted to become Sam Carter, freak out with Daniel over some ruins, get treated by Janet for an unknown disease, go fishing with Jack and have Teal'c save me from impending doom. Then I wanted to fly puddle jumpers with Sheppard, spar with Teyla and Ronon, and listen to Rodney freak out after destroy most of a solar system. After graduation, I watched it all over again to lead myself up to watching SG-U. Then again for the second season. I've been reading the Atlantis Legacy series like it's my own personal bible and I'm waiting very impatiently for The Furies to be released.

The characters became a part of my life. I commended Dr Weir on her undertaking with the Atlantis mission, I mourned Carson, and rejoiced after his clone was retrieved. I cried my eyes out when Janet died, and cringed every time Sam and Jack never quite got together. My heart broke for Daniel as his wife was taken from him, and I even felt bad for Walt in the future timeline when he was stuck being a tour guide. I laughed out loud when Cam and Vala joined the rest of the cast in a parody of Farscape. I felt sorry for Michael until he created those monsters and kidnapped Teyla. I respected Todd for his mutual understanding with John. Stargate is my favorite science fiction franchise by miles. I've watched all 250 hours of the franchise four times over by now. Most may consider it a waste of time, but another Stargate just knows, it's more than just a television show.

I've never been to a convention, but every time a Stargate one rolls around I just dream that I could attend. Usually it's work or funds that stops me from attending, but with the show gone (possibly for good) I don't know how many more of these conventions with come around. Attending this convention would be a dream come true.

Comment

Stargate was my first science fiction fandom that I was really serious about. I'd never really gotten into television before. While I was interested in going into film production as a career, I'd never considered television as a real job. But seeing the complex plots of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, I realised that it could be a real thing after all.

Now I'm seriously looking at television as an option as I go to college for film production. (I only wish I was in Canada so I could have the opportunity to cast some of the wonderful actors from Stargate who have not gotten major roles since then.)

Comment

I put off answering this, because I could write a novel about it. But here are the highlights.

We found Stargate after it came to Syfy, and bought the DVDs to catch up. I remember racing home from work so we could watch as many episodes as possible. When we moved from an apartment to a house, we had almost no furniture and a tiny TV but somehow we had a projector, so we would set up the projector and our friends would come over on Friday nights and for "bring your own chair" Stargate night.

In the following years I had a ton of health issues, and when I felt like crap Stargate was tv equivalent of comfort food. Stargate always made me feel better, even if it was just by distracting me and making me laugh. I had seen it so many times I could just listen if I was too tired to watch. To this day, even though I'm feeling much better now, I have Stargate and Sanctuary on all the time, because they make me happy.

Stargate also gave us Amanda Tapping. And Amanda (and Martin and Damian) gave us Sanctuary. Between Helen Magnus and Sam Carter, Amanda gave us 15 seasons of strong women characters. That is what I'm most thankful for.

The coolest part of these beloved shows has been the friendships. Connecting with people around the world, giggling every day at quotes passed around on twitter... how can you beat that?

Comment

I started watching SG-1 when I was deployed overseas. A shipmate had his parents tape it on Showtime and send the tapes to him.
                        After I got transferred I started having my Dad do that.
                        Stargate helped me believe that I was part of something bigger than myself, even if it was just fantasy. It's the way I though the military should be.

Comment

Stargate changed my life through SG-1 and Atlantis proving that high quality moral entertainment not relying on sex and gore was still viable in today's world. It gave me hope. In the years since there's been nothing to replace it (Though the last half of Stargate Universe Season 2 came close.) I've really enjoyed the intelligent entertainment they've provided.

Comment

Well to start, I was 4 years old the first time I saw those Chevrons lock, captivated in my youth by both the love of archeology and the mystic power of being whisked away in science fiction(or real science cover-up). Since then, growing up through life watching and re-watching the adventures of SG-1 SG-A and Universe. It filled my youth with amazing imagination, where could I go in my universe? What things lay just beyond the stars? Stargate was the show I couldn't wait for the next episode, and I'm still waiting. I spent summers with friends pretending we were are favorite characters through out the series, endless nights imagining Atlantis out there somewhere underneath the waves, and feeling like we were part of something much more. It lead to my love of science and passion for the stars, and altered the course of my entire life, I couldn't imagine where i'd be without Stargate in my childhood. It brought me together with new friends, and gave me new adventures. Motivating me to live my life as a member of an SG team, remember life is all about exploring new things an taking risks, making friends and to be everything I want to be, literally any one of us could really walk through that gate in an alternate universe. In short, the show gave me hope growing up, it gave me a world I could only dream of, it was a true pleasure to be able to see the show, and would be an immense honor to have the ability to go to this Convention and have a Stargate experience like no other.

Comment

I'm a huge french fan of stargate since I was 11. (now I'm 21) My favorite serie is Stargate Atlantis but I love Stargate SG1 and Stargate Universe of course!
                              I want to share my passion with the other fans so I come to many conventions in France but now I'm older and I want to go in a convention abroad. Going in a official Stargate Convention is my dream and I hope realize that one day *_*
                              Stargate change my life in many ways. I have done scientific studies and I'm studying Computing because of Rodney McKay who is my god! <3 Thanks to Stargate, I have met incredible people and some of them are my friends and we see each other in the different stargate conventions.
                              I created a stargate french website to share our love for Stargate and meet new people online or IRL and this website use lot of my free time but I love that! The link if you are interested: http://www.stargate-pegasus.com
                              And some actors are models for me and give me hope or courage every day, in particular David Hewlett, Kavan Smith and Dan Payne.
                              Stargate Forever! It's my first love and first love is forever! <3

Comment

My husband and I were newlyweds when Stargate started. As the lives of the characters changed, our life changed, too. Stargate was our date night after we put our twins to bed then it became a favorite family activity once they got a little bigger. We owned every episode, but we still watched every minute of Stargate Mondays. My daughter's love for science and my son's love for archeology have their roots in their favorite SG1 characters. At seven, they went to their first and only convention in New Jersey. They loved every minute. While they also visited the Statue of Liberty and D.C. That vacation, their favorite moment was meeting convention attendees dressed as Jaffa. We now have four more little ones, and they are growing up on the dvds. Stargate did scifi better than anyone before or since, and its still a favorite family activity.

Comment

Working...
                                X