Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey people. My name is Juggernaut975 but then you already knew that, thanks to the handy-dandy info just to your left there.

I haven't been to GW in some time, I think it's been about 7 or 8 months, but when I got wind of the re-watch I found that my curiosity had been piqued.

I came into Stargate a bit late, I was 18 or 19 when I saw the original film in theaters and while I enjoyed the movie immensely I never once tuned into the television series. I was vaguely aware of SG1 but I had zero interest in watching it. I remember thinking 'Oh, wow...they got Macgyver to play Kurt Russel's character.....pass.'

Dumb, I know.

Fast forward to 2005 when I meet my wife. We were dating and enjoyed movie nights, just picking something random off the shelf and enjoying it together. One evening she asked me if I had ever watched SG1, because...if I wanted to...she had Seasons 2, 3 and 5 that we could watch together.

My first episode was 1969 and, while it was brilliant, I wasn't completely hooked yet.

Because, really, who can watch a series with huge gaps like that? On one of our first holidays I picked her up seasons 1, 4 and 6-8 and the rest is history.

I really dove into it and I could spend several pages gushing about the many ways I love the show but I'll spare you that, lol, just know that I was hooked.

I was then introduced to SGA but, being the weird 'watch 'em in order' fellow I am I felt that I had to start at the beginning with season 1 so I missed out on most of the new episodes of THAT franchise as well.

Fast forward to 2008/2009....there's a NEW show about to debut, SGU. I was thrilled. For the FIRST time here was a Stargate show that I could watch right from the beginning along with everyone else! It was at this point that I discovered GateWorld and the Podcast and all the awesomeness that this community is all about.

From the very get go I was on a journey with the rest of you as we followed the crew of the Destiny and it was an incredibly special feeling. I love my DVD's of course but there's just something more about watching the series as it broadcasts, there's something awesome about being right there from the start to witness every twist and turn, to be a part of every discovery and reveal. There's just something better about listening to the reviews a day or two after broadcast, it makes you feel like you're an a part of it all.

Was the show perfect? Nope. Was it JUST like SG1 or SGA? Nope, it was WAY different but I was really enjoying the journey and seeing just where they were headed with it.

And really, for the first time in my relatively short time of fandom, lol, this was MY show. This was the very first SG program that I got to participate in from the ground floor and that made it mean that much MORE to me.

Not everyone shared my opinion. In fact, believe it or not....there is a particularly ANTI StarGate Universe presence within fandom (It's true!). And the dissent was varied in intensity, everything from folks just not enjoying the show and taking a pass to the fringe folks who spend their every waking moment finding ways to attack the creators, the actors and the fans. Everyone has a right to their opinion of course but I made the mistake in engaging some of the members of that fringe. Why did I stoop down willingly into the muck and the weirdness of that fringe?

I dunno. I was just surprised (well, a bit horrified really lol) to realize that there are people like that out there I guess. I think that I was tired of hearing all of the attacks on the cast and crew of SGU, and posters here. In my own weird way I felt that I was making a difference by engaging them head on and calling them on their b.s.

I wasn't. While I was tilting at windmills the show carried on just fine (as it would have with or without me) and, really, all I was doing was stirring the fringe up and frustrating myself.

And it wore me out. And unfortunately, having mired myself in the muck and weirdness THAT long and realizing that SGU wasn't going to continue, I dropped out. I haven't watched any SG in about, oh, as I said, ten months or so.

It really depressed me because, like I said, this was MY StarGate and it was coming to an end far too soon. And not only that, it felt like a death knell for the entire franchise and it just got to me.

It got to me to the point where I couldn't watch ANYTHING SG related because it always brought me back to feeling down about SGU's cancellation.

It blew.

About a week ago I was organizing my bookmarks when I saw GW pop up. On a whim I checked in to see if the site was still there (since, you know, it would probably be gone since SGU was cancelled) and saw the banner proclaiming the ReWatch.

Something about the proclamation of '17 seasons.....' just stuck with me and the more and more I thought about it I realized that as a Stargate fan I have nothing to mourn and nothing to feel bad about. I have been given 17 seasons of fantastic adventure and excitement and I should feel damn lucky about that.

Submitting myself to....ugh, alright, I'll use that term....the 'Dark Side' of fandom as it were, that fringe portion of SG fans, soured me to EVERYTHING. I lost sight of the fact that SG fans and this community as a whole are simply remarkable and this ReWatch is a testament to that.

So during this ReWatch, let's not mourn the end of SGU but, rather, use this time to celebrate it and all things StarGate. Let's get ready to sit back and re-live all the great memories and moments that made us fans in the first place. And as we watch it together let's look at this period in Stargate History not as an end to anything, but rather as a time of renewal and remembrance.

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for allowing me to post this LONG ass rant and if you made it through the whole thing, thanks for lending an 'ear' as it were, lol.

I've enjoyed a great morning running with my dog and I'm all set here to enjoy the StarGate movie as we count down the days until August 1st.
    sigpic

Comment

Funnily enough, I first discovered this today, right after popping in the Stargate movie DVD.

I just finished up Season 2 of my own personal SG-1 marathon (after some prompting from some friends who are just as obsessed as I am), but I'll start over and rejoin the rest of the pack next month.

Comment

Loved SG:U, and definitely down for watching the rest of the franchise. In fact, I've started a blog specifically for this event at http://rewatchingtogether.wordpress.com/

Can't wait!

Comment

Hi Fellow Wannabe Gate Travellers!

This is an amazing idea, I have actually just started rewatching the series! Through Season 1 already but I will be overseas for all of September so I can watch Season 2 in August and join in the Season 1 festivities, and then join back in for Season 3 in October

I was a very late Stargate fan, I actually began with Stargate Universe in 2009, then picked up the rest of the show, starting from Season One, early last year. Finished with Season 5 of Atlantis just before Season 2 of SGU started

Saw this today while I was browsing GateWorld reading trivia, never signed up to the forums, but thought I might join in the awesome-ness that this will be!

Comment

Originally posted by Breno314 View Post
            Loved SG:U, and definitely down for watching the rest of the franchise. In fact, I've started a blog specifically for this event at http://rewatchingtogether.wordpress.com/

Can't wait!
            Welcome to Gateworld. I have just read your blog and see that you will be watching SG-1 and Atlantis for the first time. Having people who are new to the shows will add to the fun of the re-watch for me, and I look forward to reading everyone's views on the episodes as we work through them.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey!!!

My first post!! Since first time I saw on twitter about SGRewatch, I'm join it!!! This time, more complicated for me, cuz I'll see the serie VOS, but you can see that I don't write or understand english very well, but really, it's the best way, and more like I do, to learn it!!

I think could be better see SG1 and SGA chronologicaly, to see the characters of SG1 in order. And of course the movies!!

From Spain,
              You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body
              C.S. Lewis

Comment

how many are watching the orignal movie
                sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Very nice, Deltah! My brain didn't recognize the two chevrons as rewind arrows, so what do you think about making the regular triangle arrows orangy like the chevrons (maybe with a slight gradiant)? (This one: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/...8a782438b5.jpg )

If you could e-mail me a layered version with a transparent background to webmaster -at- gateworld -dot- net, I'd love to use it as a logo. Thanks!
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Wow almost forgot about the Rewatch Project until yesterday (that's what i call it) just finished watching Doctor Who, not the whole series just the 2005 version till now felt like i was watching Stargate for the very first time again it was so exciting, can't wait to watch Stargate again get that same feeling s i've got the entire series on dvd well except sgu season 1.5 and season 2 but i all ready downloaded them so im set just a ? though are we going to watch the original pilot or the recut version with all the new footage?

"ALL THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE AND WILL HAPPEN AGIAN"

Comment

Question:
                      Is it going to be an orginized, in depth discussion or just what we liked and didn't like?

Comment

Only 7 daaaaaaaaaaaays

Comment

We're kicking off the Stargate Rewatch awesomeness (which will continue each week on our blog) by doing a Best of Stargate Podcast.

If you haven't listened to us before, we take a list of 32 things (contributed by the panelists) that we love about Stargate, everything from characters to episodes to quirky things about a particular show, and pit them against each other tournament style until one rises to the top.

-Karin

Comment

A question. I suposse each week have a post about de episodes we'll saw (5 by week), or we'll have a Thread for each independent episode?
                            I can see there are a lot of "probies", now, for this rewatch
                            You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body
                            C.S. Lewis

Comment

And we're off! Check out the inaugural post for the Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

There's a link in that story to a discussion thread for movie Rewatchers.

Originally posted by imperio View Post
                              are we going to watch the original pilot or the recut version with all the new footage?
                              Which edition to watch is always the viewer's choice, so pick your favorite version!

Originally posted by PuddleJumper1 View Post
                              Is it going to be an orginized, in depth discussion or just what we liked and didn't like?
                              Originally posted by CarsonBeckett View Post
                              A question. I suposse each week have a post about de episodes we'll saw (5 by week), or we'll have a Thread for each independent episode?
                              Not really organized, no. We have existing "official" threads and folders for every episode of all three shows, and we'll be encouraging people to post in there as they rewatch the episodes again. That way, you can talk about specific episodes on their own threads, or start new threads about the season overall.

Meanwhile, this thread will remain the central hub for the Rewatch project -- info and announcements, questions, suggestions, etc.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Ak, I still haven't managed to pick up the original film yet...
                                Ya, cutting it close, I know...
                                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
                                X