No announcement yet.

Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may not make it until late on Thursday, so might not meet you all before the con, but don't worry, it is very hard to miss me

Well done on making everyone feel like Canada is crazy guys...It's more like the rest of the world is crazy and we are all just perfect Plus, toques rock, I have eight!
    Music and Stargate
    sigpic
    Perfection

Comment

For those who need a printer, the Hilton has a business center in the lobby where you can print boarding passes, etc. There's also a Staples.

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
        If you want some sensible (and less amusing, but slightly more boring) advice on packing from someone who's been a few times I'd suggest layers, layers, and for good measure layers!...

For someone like me (UK) who's coming from a temperate European climate the weather is not very different from our normal Spring weather...the rain is probably a little more long-lasting in Vancouver when it comes - aka 2007 when it rained solidly for 4 days without respite!.. If you are used to these sort of temps you won't need to wrap up tremendously - just take sweatshirts and waterproofs if you are out, especially when the sun goes down..

If you are from much hotter climes (like a Floridian friend of mine who used to con go with me) then you WILL find it cold at this time of year....you may need gloves and hat more than the rest of us.....

But it's the waterproofing for sightseeing that really is the most important...however Vancouver has some AMAZING shops selling really good Outdoor Weather Gear...I have probably stocked up ALL my wardrobe of this kind of stuff from trips to Sportchek and Eddie Bauer....

And also take something to wear if the weather turns unseasonally warm...last year temps went from 15degC (I dont' do F I'm European ) to over 20degC in one day!!..I boiled on the way to the airport to go home..oh yeah, expect the weather to change the day you leave - always did with me!

Sturdy waterproof boots and trainers are a must for sightseeing....Vancouver is eminently "walkable" - loads of things to see on foot....worth it...

Enjoy yourselves...I shall be spending all my Con and vacay money on decorating at home..I shall think of you whilst I wave my paintbrush!!

Deeds xx
        Ah, yes, 2007. My first introduction to Vancouver in April. The clouds were so low I felt claustrophobic! For a change of pace, we drove up to Whistler, where it was snowing. And yes, the sun came out, and I FINALLY got to see the mountains, on the day we left. LOL!

I'm hoping for a little warmer weather this year, but I don't go out much when at the con anyway, so either way it'll be okay.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
          I may not make it until late on Thursday, so might not meet you all before the con, but don't worry, it is very hard to miss me

Well done on making everyone feel like Canada is crazy guys...It's more like the rest of the world is crazy and we are all just perfect Plus, toques rock, I have eight!
          Only eight!! And to think you live near an awesome ski hill.....
          I, on the other hand, have more toques than I can count, I wear them all the time.
          Are you sure you are Canadian?????

Comment

Does anyone know anyone who needs a roomie for the con? I need to get a room mate to cut the con costs effort my dad will let me go fingers crossed someone does xx
            Last edited by SerenBunny; 21 April 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

did you book already a hotel room, or first of all have even a ticket? do you wanna go to all con days or just specific ones?

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
                Ah, yes, 2007. My first introduction to Vancouver in April. The clouds were so low I felt claustrophobic! For a change of pace, we drove up to Whistler, where it was snowing. And yes, the sun came out, and I FINALLY got to see the mountains, on the day we left. LOL!

I'm hoping for a little warmer weather this year, but I don't go out much when at the con anyway, so either way it'll be okay.
                I know what you mean about the low dark clouds, it really does make you feel closed in! After a few months of that it's no wonder Vancouverites go nuts when the sun comes out, even for a couple of hours. They are out there walking around in shorts and T shirts in December and January, not me you will all be glad to know, can't remember the last time I wore shorts. !!! One year I was enjoying the sun by a lake in February in a T shirt with a temperature of 15C.

We go out to a restaurant just up the road for breakfast every Saturday morning to meet up with our kids and catch up on stuff, last week we drove up there because the weather was so dismally wet. Today it was a totally different thing and a lovely walk with the sun out, blue skies and blossoming cherry trees. I'm hoping this weather continues this week and we have nice sunny weather for the con. Really hoping for the nice clear sunny weather for Thursday for the location tour.

The last really nice April I can recall was in 2008! In 2010 February was warmer than April when we had snow in the week of the con! That's crazy Vancouver weather for you!

I'll join in with the what to pack for the weather. A good quality lightweight water/wind proof jacket that you can put in a bag easily is a must, don't know what I'd do without mine! You can then just put that on over the layers you wear according to the temperature if the rain decides to make an appearance! Saves carrying a coat and an umbrella around and then going nuts with the extra weight and stuff when the sun comes out, then it can actually get quite hot. The one thing I've found is that the Vancouver sun when it does come out is really intense due to the clearer air.

Comment

I need to get a room mate confirmed before my dad will let me get a ticket. I'm aiming for Gold so I can go to all the days so I'm looking to room with someone who already has a room, maybe needs a third or fourth etc to drum down costs xx

Comment

I was thinking about spending part of a day before the con in the Chinatown area. With the possibility of unpredictable weather and the fact that I'm not sure what that area is like would an umbrella or other wet weather gear be advised or are a lot of things close together or covered?

Comment

Originally posted by SerenBunny View Post
                      I need to get a room mate confirmed before my dad will let me get a ticket. I'm aiming for Gold so I can go to all the days so I'm looking to room with someone who already has a room, maybe needs a third or fourth etc to drum down costs xx
                      I've got a gold ticket for sale when you find some roommates

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
                        Only eight!! And to think you live near an awesome ski hill.....
                        I, on the other hand, have more toques than I can count, I wear them all the time.
                        Are you sure you are Canadian?????
                        Lets see, my dad was born and raised in Newfoundland, my mom in Manitoba, and I in Kelowna..pretty sure I got being Candian covered, plus, I'm used to the weather, so I don't need to cover my head all the time
                        Music and Stargate
                        sigpic
                        Perfection

Comment

Lets see, my dad was born and raised in Newfoundland.
                          Have you been back to Newfoundland or can you give any advise what time of the year would be the best to go to Newfoundland for a vaccation? I hope this question is not to personal for you. But I'd rather here from people some considered advise than read a travel guide.

Comment

It is running in the high 80s here in south Texas. I did remember to buy warm clothes for this trip back during the winter though. Hopefully I won't freeze while I'm up there! I am planning on doing a lot of walking!

If anyone wants to room up at the accent inn on tues or weds, let me know. I already made my reservation there.
                            sigpic
                            "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by shipcat View Post
                              Have you been back to Newfoundland or can you give any advise what time of the year would be the best to go to Newfoundland for a vaccation? I hope this question is not to personal for you. But I'd rather here from people some considered advise than read a travel guide.
                              Go in the summer. DO NOT go in winter, it's cold and it snows wayyyy to much! I usually go in late July or early August. Newfoundland is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and the people there are super nice. There is an app to help you understand Newfie (yes, they can be that hard to understand). Plus you can go whale watching, there is an Island that has over a million birds on it, and they have a whole street in St. Johns that just has pubs on it(George street). If you can time it so that you hit the George street festival you are in for a treat!! Ok, I am stopping here because I could go on for hours, and now I want to go there again...
                              Music and Stargate
                              sigpic
                              Perfection

Comment

Go in the summer. DO NOT go in winter, it's cold and it snows wayyyy to much! I usually go in late July or early August. Newfoundland is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and the people there are super nice. There is an app to help you understand Newfie (yes, they can be that hard to understand). Plus you can go whale watching, there is an Island that has over a million birds on it, and they have a whole street in St. Johns that just has pubs on it(George street). If you can time it so that you hit the George street festival you are in for a treat!! Ok, I am stopping here because I could go on for hours, and now I want to go there again...
                                Thanks so much for this great travel tip. THis sounds really good, especially the George street festival. I like to go to different countries and places. Big cities are also interesting but I am usually a lot faster bored or annoyed of all the people and crowded places all the time. I like space. And like I said it is much more informative if I get some tips and info from someone who spent at least some more time there than just a travel guide. So now it means saving money for the next trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X