Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shipcat View Post
    These words are canadian synonyms for the general known words for hat and boots? Mhh... good to know.
    Specifically, the "hat" is the equivalent of what I believe Americans would call a "knit cap" (a woolen hat with no visor, though it can sometimes be found with a tassel of sorts at the top - can also be spelled "toque" or "tuque" though they are all pronounced "took") while mukluks are snow/arctic boots (not the average "Wellington" rain wear), the bane of sock wearers everywhere. I honestly don't know why every time I wear snow boots, it is impossible for my socks to stay on my feet!

When I first glanced at "touques and mukluks" I originally read it as "tongues and mukluks."

Comment

Do you buy these cookies or from where do you bring them? Because I wonder, if I fly in from Europe will there be any problems with customs about food you bring into the country? some countries don't allow any food brought into the country for example AUS/NZ. SO what about Canada? I don't think I will have the chance to bake cookies in my motel room. Buying them will be then the only chance.
      I only remember that milk products aren't allowed.....haven't been to Germany in a while, but that one stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post
        Specifically, the "hat" is the equivalent of what I believe Americans would call a "knit cap" (a woolen hat with no visor, though it can sometimes be found with a tassel of sorts at the top - can also be spelled "toque" or "tuque" though they are all pronounced "took") while mukluks are snow/arctic boots (not the average "Wellington" rain wear), the bane of sock wearers everywhere. I honestly don't know why every time I wear snow boots, it is impossible for my socks to stay on my feet!

When I first glanced at "touques and mukluks" I originally read it as "tongues and mukluks."
        WOW, thanks for this explicit explanation. I felt like I read something in WIKIPEDIA. And I mean this in a positiv way!
        Also, you are so true about the socks thing. They NEVER stay on your feet in these boots. How does that happen? Maybe I should have asked one day my physics teacher. In fact these are the most important things they should teach in school. These are live relevant situations! What to do to keep your socks on your feet and don't die of frostbites on your feet?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post

WOW, thanks for this explicit explanation. I felt like I read something in WIKIPEDIA. And I mean this in a positiv way!
          Also, you are so true about the socks thing. They NEVER stay on your feet in these boots. How does that happen? Maybe I should have asked one day my physics teacher. In fact these are the most important things they should teach in school. These are live relevant situations! What to do to keep your socks on your feet and don't die of frostbites on your feet?!
          LOL. You obviously are not buying Canadian socks. We take that the boot problem into consideration. Sometimes, after wearing the socks for a while, the elastic will get old and the socks will slip off, but if you buy Canadian made socks, you won't have that problem...at least for a while. By the way, one of the best Canadian brands is a company called Stanfield's.
          http://www.stanfields.com/

By the way, this is a touque:
          olympic-vancouver-2010-team-canada-toque-hat-profile.jpg

These are Mukluks:
          tall_wrap_charcoal_mukluk.jpg

Mukluks are the warmest, most comfortable boots you will ever wear.

And, in Churchill Manitoba where the polar bears wait for the sea ice to freeze, they often make friends with the dog sled teams:

Polar bear and husky.jpg

When you arrive in Canada you may see that, people who drink and drive are not identified as DUI, but as DWI (Driving while intoxicated), like this:

Alberta DWI.jpg

Life is just a little different in Canada.
          Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

You guys are hilarious! Try Duck Taping the socks to your ankles....JK However I have found that good quality wool-blend socks work better than cotton Hope that helps keep your frostbite to a minimum!
            sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
            Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
            GateCon Vancouver 2011
            Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
              LOL. You obviously are not buying Canadian socks. We take that the boot problem into consideration. Sometimes, after wearing the socks for a while, the elastic will get old and the socks will slip off, but if you buy Canadian made socks, you won't have that problem...at least for a while. By the way, one of the best Canadian brands is a company called Stanfield's.
              http://www.stanfields.com/

By the way, this is a touque:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]34393[/ATTACH]

These are Mukluks:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]34394[/ATTACH]

Mukluks are the warmest, most comfortable boots you will ever wear.

And, in Churchill Manitoba where the polar bears wait for the sea ice to freeze, they often make friends with the dog sled teams:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34395[/ATTACH]

When you arrive in Canada you may see that, people who drink and drive are not identified as DUI, but as DWI (Driving while intoxicated), like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34396[/ATTACH]

Ah....I love being Canadian.
              sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
              Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
              GateCon Vancouver 2011
              Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Yeah looks like it. But I hope I can manage my survival with these 101 lessons on Canadian life here in the thread. So I better keep up, my life could depend on it!! I am a sucker for information. Keep it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by dre bombay View Post
                  Why yes, as a matter of fact I am...
                  And no, I didn't. Couldn't afford it. With all the autos and photos I'm getting I had to sacrifice a few things.
                  It's going to be a crazy weekend. AND I get to meet Amanda Tapping WHOOP WHOOP!!

I really wish these two weren't on the same weekend. I was very excited when I bought my ticket. Never been to a Stargate Con before. Oh well.....
                  I was going to go to the Expo until I was offered a trip to Vancouver.
                  I also wish they were not on the same weekend, I want to meet up with Amanada again.

Those autos and photos sure add up quickly, don't they.

Hope you have fun!!

Comment

SWEET! Dan Payne has been added to the guest list for Saturday and Sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by iheartcam View Post
                      Blue jello and brownies!?! picardythirds, I think I'm going to LOVE sitting (almost) next to you
                      You're assuming I get everything done in time. However, at the very least I will have jello

Originally posted by dre bombay View Post
                      Why yes, as a matter of fact I am...
                      And no, I didn't. Couldn't afford it. With all the autos and photos I'm getting I had to sacrifice a few things. It's going to be a crazy weekend. AND I get to meet Amanda Tapping WHOOP WHOOP!!

I really wish these two weren't on the same weekend. I was very excited when I bought my ticket. Never been to a Stargate Con before. Oh well.....
                      Me too. I would have completely gone to both. Financially Vancouver made more sense but I just entered the fandom last year and I wanted to meet Amanda. Have fun and report back to us!

Oh Arctic Goddess you crack me up every time.

By the way, it's nowhere NEAR that cold in Vancouver right now. At least, not for mukluks. And very soon not even for touques (although today was an exception if you are prone to cold ears)

Comment

If you want some sensible (and less amusing, but slightly more boring) advice on packing from someone who's been a few times I'd suggest layers, layers, and for good measure layers!...

For someone like me (UK) who's coming from a temperate European climate the weather is not very different from our normal Spring weather...the rain is probably a little more long-lasting in Vancouver when it comes - aka 2007 when it rained solidly for 4 days without respite!.. If you are used to these sort of temps you won't need to wrap up tremendously - just take sweatshirts and waterproofs if you are out, especially when the sun goes down..

If you are from much hotter climes (like a Floridian friend of mine who used to con go with me) then you WILL find it cold at this time of year....you may need gloves and hat more than the rest of us.....

But it's the waterproofing for sightseeing that really is the most important...however Vancouver has some AMAZING shops selling really good Outdoor Weather Gear...I have probably stocked up ALL my wardrobe of this kind of stuff from trips to Sportchek and Eddie Bauer....

And also take something to wear if the weather turns unseasonally warm...last year temps went from 15degC (I dont' do F I'm European ) to over 20degC in one day!!..I boiled on the way to the airport to go home..oh yeah, expect the weather to change the day you leave - always did with me!

Sturdy waterproof boots and trainers are a must for sightseeing....Vancouver is eminently "walkable" - loads of things to see on foot....worth it...

Enjoy yourselves...I shall be spending all my Con and vacay money on decorating at home..I shall think of you whilst I wave my paintbrush!!

Deeds xx
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

That's vancouver, from Sun & Beach weather to "hide inside from the rain/hail/snow-storm" weather at the blink of an eye.

Comment

Absolutely love it....going to miss my annual visit greatly...

Roll on 2013 and the Great West Coast Summer Road Trip I hope to be planning!..

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                              If you want some sensible (and less amusing, but slightly more boring) advice on packing from someone who's been a few times I'd suggest layers, layers, and for good measure layers!...
                              Oh I am definitely a layers kinda girl. I often pack too much. But I think better be safe than sorry. Thanks for the weather forecast/outlook. You know there's the saying: Bad weather don't excist, only wrong clothes! I will go with that and my raincoat was the first thing a packed for this trip.

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                                4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                                Thursday April 26, 2012
                                Time: 7:00pm
                                Attendees:
                                mamasue9
                                Camelot7414
                                Geoi McKay
                                MylittleEli
                                Doublecut
                                AnnieS
                                Nut_ty
                                hlndncr
                                Krisz
                                silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                                Scarym1
                                Starbird
                                Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                                SabrinaB - very excited
                                Nynaeve69+1
                                CareBear
                                Clairec007
                                Arctic Goddess +2
                                Rivers
                                Maidenhead Reds
                                Picardythirds
                                helen450
                                SeiyaTheLeaper
                                slamaina (aka Slam)
                                lemonpiefirefly +1

Jian
                                shipcat
                                syncline +2
                                Korean_Turtle87
                                Nirrti
                                iheartcam +1

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                                Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                                Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                                Doublecut
                                mamasue9
                                Dr. Carson Beckett
                                Camelot7414
                                Krisz
                                Geoi McKay
                                Snowflake + 1
                                silvercomet
                                Scarym1
                                AnnieS + 1 maybe
                                Nynaeve69 +1
                                MylittleEli
                                SabrinaB
                                Starbird
                                Clairec007
                                Jian
                                picardythirds
                                nakedwesley
                                knightie
                                Vecturist
                                SGAFan + 1
                                Hoschi
                                Lea
                                helen450
                                Nut_ty

hlndncr
                                Dimonah Tralon
                                CareBear
                                RinkRat
                                Arctic Goddess +2
                                taris-eirien
                                dakodia
                                SweetTart
                                Ovolactopesco
                                Rivers
                                Vala-Mal-Doran
                                Maidenhead Reds
                                SeiyaTheLeaper
                                slamaina (aka Slam) +1
                                lemonpiefirefly +1

shipcat

syncline +2
                                Korean_Turtle87
                                Nirrti
                                iheartcam +1
                                Triskele925 + Triskele's Mom

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 20*
                                GateWorld Forum ID: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ateSGUcopy.jpg
                                *extended menu submission date*
                                Music and Stargate
                                sigpic
                                Perfection

Comment

Working...
                                X