Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
    Well I'm in seat 12D, where are you guys at?
    Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    We're a couple rows back and across the aisle in 14A and 14B.

Our connection is also only 55 mins. Sure hope everything is on time.
    20D.....I can wave at ya'll..

Comment

Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
      Camelot,

Congrats! I see we both just won the M&G with Kavan!!
      Congrats to you too, and at the starting bid too. It was the only one that I really wanted.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        We're a couple rows back and across the aisle in 14A and 14B.

Our connection is also only 55 mins. Sure hope everything is on time.

That is a short connection. I had a stopover that short before. The plane was late and I almost had a heart attack getting to my connecting flight. My Vancouver flight has a 3 hour stop over so that shouldn't be a problem this time. I shouldn't complain because my airfare was $200 off the reqular price.

The first time I saw David H at a con, there was M & G and I got so tongue tied I could barely tell him my name. D'OH Fortunately when I got his autograph later on that weekend, I was able to speak a bit better.
        sigpic
        Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1 View Post
          That is a short connection. I had a stopover that short before. The plane was late and I almost had a heart attack getting to my connecting flight. My Vancouver flight has a 3 hour stop over so that shouldn't be a problem this time. I shouldn't complain because my airfare was $200 off the reqular price.

The first time I saw David H at a con, there was M & G and I got so tongue tied I could barely tell him my name. D'OH Fortunately when I got his autograph later on that weekend, I was able to speak a bit better.
          I used frequent flier miles for mine, which is why I have to leave at 7 am on Tuesday

I was the opposite. I worked up the courage to talk to Kavan in the meet and greet, but have a harder time in the autograph line. Course the meet and greet was the last thing so by that time, I had gone through the autograph line and the photo-op session so I was more comfortable. Course having Kavan say in the autograph line, that he saw me sitting in the audience and he liked to make me smile did wonders for my confidence. There were a lot of little personal memories during the con in LA.
          Last edited by camelot7414; 14 March 2012, 06:56 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

What are the meet & greets like? Does everyone just sit around a table and do a little Q&A, or is it cooler than that? Like, drinks or something?
            sigpic
            "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
              What are the meet & greets like? Does everyone just sit around a table and do a little Q&A, or is it cooler than that? Like, drinks or something?
              For most I've been to, it's just sitting around a table, doing a little Q&A. I think Joe's the only Q&A that has actual drinks (other than water) that I know of. Of course I'm really not sure if there's drinks there as I've never been to one of Joe's, and I've heard rumors of there just being water and soda there. No alcohol, other than what a few fans bring to give him.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
                For most I've been to, it's just sitting around a table, doing a little Q&A. I think Joe's the only Q&A that has actual drinks (other than water) that I know of. Of course I'm really not sure if there's drinks there as I've never been to one of Joe's, and I've heard rumors of there just being water and soda there. No alcohol, other than what a few fans bring to give him.
                Most of the M&Gs I've been to have just had either water or coffee.
                sigpic

Comment

My only experience with meet and greets was via the VIP passes at the Star Trek convention, but as those were just behind the stage either just before or after the guests went on stage, it was just a short greeting and conversation.

If it's anything like last year, the meet and greets for Stargate take place in a room near the photo op room. They're also far more lengthy than the VIP greets (an hour as opposed to ten minutes) and, going by the description in the auction, there is even the option of a group photo shot using your own camera at the end of the hour.

Originally posted by Kikyonyc View Post
                  I want to go to M & G too, but the tickets are just so expensive, and I'll be too shy to ask any questions to make it worth it
                  Usually the guests (David in particular, I imagine) will engage people in conversation and there's nothing to worry about when meeting them. I'm not the biggest talker either, as I usually don't have much interesting to say or what I might bring up is really only funny between me and another friend. Had I had the nerve, I would have asked Robert O'Reilly to include a "quote" when he autographed a picture. The quote in question has become a form of shorthand between me and my friend when we decide to play Star Trek Armada, though it was inspired by Gowron speaking Klingon in Star Trek Klingon.
                  Last edited by Dr. Carson Beckett; 14 March 2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

For those of you in Canada, both WestJet and Air Canada currently offer a 15% discount on flights within Canada. Must book by the 16th, though.

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                      4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                      Thursday April 26, 2012
                      Time: 7:00pm
                      Attendees:
                      mamasue9
                      Camelot7414
                      Geoi McKay
                      MylittleEli
                      Doublecut
                      AnnieS
                      Nut_ty
                      hlndncr
                      Krisz
                      silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                      Scarym1
                      Starbird
                      Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                      SabrinaB - very excited
                      Nynaeve69+1
                      CareBear
                      Clairec007
                      Arctic Goddess +2
                      Rivers
                      Maidenhead Reds
                      Picardythirds
                      helen450

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                      Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                      Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                      Doublecut
                      mamasue9
                      Dr. Carson Beckett
                      Camelot7414
                      Krisz
                      Geoi McKay
                      Snowflake + 3
                      silvercomet
                      Scarym1
                      AnnieS + 1 maybe
                      Nynaeve69 +1
                      MylittleEli
                      SabrinaB
                      Starbird
                      Clairec007
                      Jian
                      picardythirds
                      nakedwesley
                      knightie
                      Vecturist
                      SGAFan + 1
                      Hoschi
                      Lea
                      helen450
                      Nut_ty

hlndncr
                      Dimonah Tralon
                      CareBear
                      llp
                      RinkRat
                      Arctic Goddess +2
                      taris-eirien
                      dakodia
                      SweetTart
                      Ovolactopesco
                      Rivers
                      Vala-Mal-Doran
                      Maidenhead Reds
                      SeiyaTheLeaper

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 15*

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                        I would imagine in the morning, but perhaps we could swing by the airport later?

Which location is the $7.80 one? I recently went to the bloedel conservatory (sg1 "game keeper") and it was only $5.60 so it couldn't be that? Also, the chan center (atlantis "condemed") is only open at certain times (unless there is a school of music performance going on...)

Krisz, where else were you thinking of going?
                        Yes it would be the morning. I was thinking of going further out, the SGU locations are closer to where I live. Pitt Lake/Widgeon Creek,(on the way you drive through 'Edora' SG-1's 'A Hundred Days' area in Maple Ridge) but the actual 'town' is on private land) part of the area where 'Faith' was filmed although you have to hire a canoe to get to the exact place or a logging road from the Coquitlam side of the Pitt River but that's locked and you can't go that way.

Fort Langley- where SGU's 'Epilogue' was filmed. This costs $7-80 to get in but it's a Heritage site as well as a Stargate location, so you get to learn a bit about the birth of British Columbia and its first European settlers! The town hall in the town would be recognisable to those who are watching 'Once Upon a Time', and you get some nice views of the Fraser River on a path that runs alongside the river.

Cloverdale- SGU episode of the same name! The church that was in SG-1's Red Sky is in Cloverdale too.

I just thought I'd like to do something a bit different, although I don't mind going to the usual spots like Jack's cabin and 'Tollana' if people really want to go, after all they are the visitors and I'm happy to go where they want to. Any more suggestions of any other places people want to see are welcome!

I haven't watched all of SGA so I'm not familiar with any of the locations that may have been used on SGA apart from 'Sunset Beach' in 'Rising', but that's a location people can visit if they are visiting Downtown Vancouver.

Comment

Some great suggestions put forth by Krisz

So...Locations list (let's just get them all down first and start from there?)

East - around 1hr away from Burnaby (where the conference is)

-Pitt Lake/Widgeon Creek (SGU "Faith") with Edora on the Way (SG1 "100 days")
                          -Fort Langley (SGU "Epilogue", Once Upon a Time hall)

West (Downtown-ish & UBC) - around 30+ minutes
                          -Sunset Beach + appartments (SG1 "affinity")
                          -Granville Island (SG1 "Moebius")
                          -Vancouver Art Gallery (it was washington DC in various, such as "foothold", "secrets")
                          -YaleTown (daniel's apartment)

-Chan Center (SGA "Condemned") (UBC)

Vancouver proper/Burnaby
                          -Bloedel Conservatory (SG1 "GameKeeper")
                          -SFU (Sg1, homeworld of the Tollans)
                          -Bridge Studios (well, we can always just drive by...)

South Fraser (Richmond, CLoverdale, etc)also around 30 minutes away

-Steveston (SG1 "Night Walkers", Once Upon a Time)
                          -Richmond Sand dunes (I'm not sure if they're accessible this time of year...)
                          -Cloverdale (SG1 "red sky" church, home of smallville, SGU)

Help me out! I'm sure I've left some obvious ones out. And no, I actually don't know where Jack's cabin is so someone please add that to the list. Does anyone know where Jack's house is?

I guess it depends on who wants to go where. All times are approximate by car and don't take traffic into account. If some people want to go east and others west, well, I can take a carload too

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                            4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                            Thursday April 26, 2012
                            Time: 7:00pm
                            Attendees:
                            mamasue9
                            Camelot7414
                            Geoi McKay
                            MylittleEli
                            Doublecut
                            AnnieS
                            Nut_ty
                            hlndncr
                            Krisz
                            silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                            Scarym1
                            Starbird
                            Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                            SabrinaB - very excited
                            Nynaeve69+1
                            CareBear
                            Clairec007
                            Arctic Goddess +2
                            Rivers
                            Maidenhead Reds
                            Picardythirds
                            helen450
                            SeiyaTheLeaper

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                            Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                            Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                            Doublecut
                            mamasue9
                            Dr. Carson Beckett
                            Camelot7414
                            Krisz
                            Geoi McKay
                            Snowflake + 3
                            silvercomet
                            Scarym1
                            AnnieS + 1 maybe
                            Nynaeve69 +1
                            MylittleEli
                            SabrinaB
                            Starbird
                            Clairec007
                            Jian
                            picardythirds
                            nakedwesley
                            knightie
                            Vecturist
                            SGAFan + 1
                            Hoschi
                            Lea
                            helen450
                            Nut_ty

hlndncr
                            Dimonah Tralon
                            CareBear
                            llp
                            RinkRat
                            Arctic Goddess +2
                            taris-eirien
                            dakodia
                            SweetTart
                            Ovolactopesco
                            Rivers
                            Vala-Mal-Doran
                            Maidenhead Reds
                            SeiyaTheLeaper

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 15*
                            Last edited by SeiyaTheLeaper; 15 March 2012, 01:27 AM.
                            Francis from Italy

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                              Some great suggestions put forth by Krisz

So...Locations list (let's just get them all down first and start from there?)

East - around 1hr away from Burnaby (where the conference is)

-Pitt Lake/Widgeon Creek (SGU "Faith") with Edora on the Way (SG1 "100 days")
                              -Fort Langley (SGU "Epilogue", Once Upon a Time hall)

West (Downtown-ish & UBC) - around 30+ minutes
                              -Sunset Beach + appartments (SG1 "affinity")
                              -Granville Island (SG1 "Moebius")
                              -Vancouver Art Gallery (it was washington DC in various, such as "foothold", "secrets")
                              -YaleTown (daniel's apartment)

-Chan Center (SGA "Condemned") (UBC)

Vancouver proper/Burnaby
                              -Bloedel Conservatory (SG1 "GameKeeper")
                              -SFU (Sg1, homeworld of the Tollans)
                              -Bridge Studios (well, we can always just drive by...)

South Fraser (Richmond, CLoverdale, etc)also around 30 minutes away

-Steveston (SG1 "Night Walkers", Once Upon a Time)
                              -Richmond Sand dunes (I'm not sure if they're accessible this time of year...)
                              -Cloverdale (SG1 "red sky" church, home of smallville, SGU)

Help me out! I'm sure I've left some obvious ones out. And no, I actually don't know where Jack's cabin is so someone please add that to the list. Does anyone know where Jack's house is?

I guess it depends on who wants to go where. All times are approximate by car and don't take traffic into account. If some people want to go east and others west, well, I can take a carload too
                              Disclaimer:
                              Here’s my two cents. I can’t guarantee that everything is still standing, as I don’t live ANYWHERE near Vancouver and can’t really check. :-)
                              Also, I don’t remember episode names for these things, but I’ve been to them all/found them all by myself. And THEN went again on location tours.
                              And I only saw the post by PICARDYTHIRDS, so if someone else had already listed these, I apologize. I’m really really busy with work, couldn’t read all the posts, but wanted to contribute something for fellow Stargate fans.
                              Also, I’m posting these because I know how excited one can be to see one’s favourite show’s locations “live”, but please PLEASE PLEASE! BE RESPECTFUL. Some of these places are not open to the public, so view them from outside, and do not be tempted to knock on people’s doors. I know it shouldn’t be necessary to say this, but I have anyways!

Richmond
                              - Fantasy Garden: corner of Stevenson Highway and No 5 Road. No longer accesible, sold to new owner. I think it was still standing last year, but I can’t guarantee it’s still there. You can see it from the outside or peak in through the gates, thug.
                              - Dave’s Fish and Chips: 3460 Moncton St. in Richmond, BC + Gulf of Georgia Cannery (next to it). Episode “Nightwalkers”. Have some chips on me!

Vancouver (not downtown):
                              - Jericho Beach. Northwest Marine Drive. Episode “Fire and Water”. It’s “just a beach”, but it’s nice!
                              - HR McMillan Space Center/Vanier Park/the observatory. 1100 Chestnut Street V6J 3J9. The space center is quite fun too!
                              - In the area, at about 1550 Burrard Street is Seaforth Armoury.
                              - Burrard Bridge!!! “1969”

Downtown Vancouver:
                              - The Sunset Beach apartments are, if I recall properly, on Jervis Street.
                              - Hamburger Mary’s: diner on the corner between Davie Street and Bute Street. Have a Sundae there… :-)
                              - Vancouver Library Square: Homer Street and Robson Street… ok, maybe this wasn’t on Stargate, but if you’re going to YaleTown House, might as well see it. They’ve used it in Smallville and in Fringe.
                              - Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Gardens. Corner between Carrall and Keefer Street (Chinatown area). Part of it is free, part of it you have to pay for, but it’s really cheap.
                              - And if you’re a Doctor Who fan, keep going down on Carrall street towards Expo Blvd, and there’s a beautiful park with a cool waterfall “thing”, where they filmed the Doctor Who movie with the 8th Doctor.

Burnaby:
                              - Adanac Lodge: corner between Adanac Street and Boundary Road. Young Jack’s high school. It’s now a senoir citizens’ home, so just drive by please!
                              - Keep going south on Boundary Road. On the left is Bridge (doh!). Opposite Bridge, on Henning Drive, is the Accent’s Inn, and, a few step down the road (same parking lot) is a small cafè. Can’t remember the episodes. You’ll remember.
                              - On the right (when Bridge was on the left, see above) is the OpenRoad Audi with a bar that was used for some episode.
                              - Inman elementary school, on the corner between Inman Street and Price Street. Cassandra’s school. Again, it’s still in use, there could be children there.
                              - Down the hill from SFU is Horizon’s. http://www.horizonsrestaurant.com/ Apparently NOT cheap.

Coquitlam:
                              - Riverview Hospital 2601 Lougheed Highway, Coquitlam, V3C 4J2. Down the bottom there’s a building in disues. The resto f it is still a psychiatric hospital, SO PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL!!!

North Vancouver:
                              - Murdo Frazer Park. Jack’s cabin. It’s a public park, but there’s a hedge that clearly defines the private property around Jack’s cabin. THAT PART IS PRIVATE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL! Or the owner will shoot you. Ok, not really, I’m sure he’s a very nice Canadian guy, but please don’t enter his property! All you need to see really is the outside of the house. And if you go from the other side, you get a beautiful and legal view of the lake (with no fish), the dock and the house.
                              - Capilano Salmon Hatchery. As the Arrogant Worms would say, “rocks and trees and water.” But they’ve filmed the Atlantis episode in which Teyla and Dr. Keller are alone on a planet together. And it’s quite a nice area anyways. Have a walk around, they’ve used a lot of that general area.
                              - Further north on Capilano Road is Cleveland Dam, for you McGyver fans. (They’ve used it in other shows too).
                              - Somewhere on W. Grand Blvd, I think between 10th and 13th street, is Sam’s house. Repainted, new owners, but it’s there. Again, it’s PRIVATE PROPERTY, please do NOT trespass and be respectful, if you find out which house it is. In the “park” in the middle of Grand Blvd is where they filmed Sam and Orlin walking in the park.

Ok, that’s all the locations I can remember. At the risk of being hated for being annoying and repetitive, please do not enter private properties! And be respectful of people living/working/studying in these places. Also, most of the insides of places have probably changed during the years, so why bother?
                              Please do not post this information around the internet, keep it on Gateworld. If you tell friends, pass on the “be respectful” part, please!!

Have fun.
                              Francis from Italy

Comment

NORTH VANCOUVER

I am also near Jack's house and the building that Sam is driven past in Continuum.
                                MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                                MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                                POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                                CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                                GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                                VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                                FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X