Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarym1 View Post
    Congrats on the new job.

Fortunately we have had quite a mild winter so it wasn't so bad walking. Some say that was why the strike went on for so long.

The weather is always nice in Vancouver. Right now it is a balmy 43 F.

Only 44 more days to go.
    Haha. It's 43 in the dead of winter here. I don't even own a winter coat. And thanks. This job is torture, but it's better than unemployed. Had to take a dollar and a half an hour pay cut, which REALLY sucks. But I'm going to be able to get to Vancouver, so that's what really matters.
    sigpic
    "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      I just looked on the Creation site and it looks like they've got more tickets available for the Monday location tour. So instead of going to Victoria we may do that, or possibly go to Victoria on Thursday.
      Just an FYI, a trip to Victoria is a full day trip. Should you decide to go, you likely won't get back until late in the day. Traffic to and from the Ferry can be heavy.
      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
        Just an FYI, a trip to Victoria is a full day trip. Should you decide to go, you likely won't get back until late in the day. Traffic to and from the Ferry can be heavy.
        Yeah, I know. That's why we were planning on Monday. But the Thursday location tour was full and we'd rather do that, since this trip is all about Stargate. So we may not go to Victoria after all. We're still making plans.

Comment

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
          In LA, we ended up with 11 people at our M&G with Kavan, Eddie McClintock and Saul Rubinek. Only 9 sold before the con. Made for a very crowded table and a very strange M&G. Kavan commented that it was the strangest one he's ever been at. Probably a result of having several actors from different shows. Instead of just asking the actor questions, it was a very general conversation that went from sex to God in about two seconds.

We had one VIP from the Farscape con that apparently thought that the VIP pass would get him whatever he wanted. He was extremely insistant that Kavan sit next to him to the point of being rude about it.
          I did the M&G with Colin and Niall, and...uh, I forget the 3rd person. And then another guest joined us, because she felt like it, so yeah. Full house, and the conversation drifted a lot. It was even funnier the next day, with Jason, Torri and JR. A lot of little conversations going at once, then we started talking about random stuff. Torri and JR compared notes on how their characters died, and how they should be brought back. Very funny.

I've only encountered 1 VIP who thought his pass was good for everything and was confused why he couldn't attend the MGs with us. He didn't make a stink about it though.

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post
          That's too bad. VIP is a privilege, not a right and everybody paid good money for meet and greet tickets, so unless there was any sort of seat lottery, it should be a first come/first serve type of seating arrangement. Well... hopefully none of the people who get VIP passes for this convention will have any sort of attitude problem.
          Not sure I would call it a privilege, as people pay good money for VIP too, but I get your point. VIP is totally separate from the MGs and no one is entitled to special treatment in there because of it. I, personally, have never seen it happen.

He kept waving the pass in our faces, saying "well I have this and I spent $500 for it". I'm like, so, I paid more than that in Chicago, and that didn't entitle me to anything more than the backstage pass and front of line privileges. My roommate was in charge of the Farscape VIP's and said he was like that about everything. She knew exactly who I was talking about, lol. He kept trying to get Nici to move over so Kavan could sit between him and her. It was kind of funny in the end as Kavan came in, walked behind me, and I told him he could sit in the seat next to me if he wanted. The guy said, "or you can sit here", pointing to the seat next to him. Kavin said "I do what I'm told", and sat next to me.
          I can totally see Kavan doing that. Good for you! Sounds like that guy was a real pain. Even funnier, considering he had a FARSCAPE pass, and none of the guests at the MG were even from his show. You should have asked him if they were catering his lunch back there, to divert him, but that probably would have just caused more grief for your roommate.

There are definitely some people that don't know how to behave at these things. A friend told me in a Ben Browder M&G someone had their kid there (had to be at least 6 to get in), and the kid went around hitting people on the back of the head. The mother didn't stop them. Ben had to finally say something to get them to stop.
          I heard about that! How awful! I think it's bad enough when parents buy their kids MG tickets, who have no interest in being there, and thus keeping out a fan who really wanted to attend. Glad Ben spoke up, but he shouldn't have had to. What is the point of those 'body guards' that hover in the room the whole time?

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
          That's kinda sucky. I'd be way more happy about spending hundreds of dollars I don't have for my M&G if there were less people. I will try not to be a "conversation hog", but damn me if it doesn't just happen. I guess I'll say something like, "Hey, if I am being an attention hog, just please cut me off." Like ask the other people to tell me to STFU. I sincerely probably won't notice at the time.
          Well, at least they do limit the MG ticket number to 10 seats each. That way it's not a big crowd. But yeah, it would be cool to have a smaller group. More casual, and easier to chat with the guest. I think there is a difference between someone who is just chatty and excited and not realizing they are "hogging" the conversation, and someone who deliberately takes over and doesn't let anyone else talk. I'm sure no one would think you were the latter.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
            I did the M&G with Colin and Niall, and...uh, I forget the 3rd person. And then another guest joined us, because she felt like it, so yeah. Full house, and the conversation drifted a lot.
            Yeah I was there. I was sitting between Ryan Robbins and Colin. Probably the best seat in the room, when Deborah Farentino came in and sat between me and Colin. She was very sweet though. It seemed though that instead of a meet and greet between the fans and the actors, it was a meet and greet between the actors. Still fun, but not as intimate.

I can totally see Kavan doing that. Good for you! Sounds like that guy was a real pain. Even funnier, considering he had a FARSCAPE pass, and none of the guests at the MG were even from his show. You should have asked him if they were catering his lunch back there, to divert him, but that probably would have just caused more grief for your roommate.
            It was strange how insistent he was that Kavan sit next to him. It was like he had a crush on him or something (not that Kavan's not extremely crush worthy ). Course the guy was from San Francisco, and ran a Yaoi convention, so you can draw your own conclusions.

Well, at least they do limit the MG ticket number to 10 seats each. That way it's not a big crowd. But yeah, it would be cool to have a smaller group. More casual, and easier to chat with the guest.
            Yeah I agree. I know when I saw that there were only 9 tickets sold, I was hoping they wouldn't sell the last one. Apparently they sold 2 more without even checking with any of the auction winner to see if it was ok.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post

I heard about that! How awful! I think it's bad enough when parents buy their kids MG tickets, who have no interest in being there, and thus keeping out a fan who really wanted to attend. Glad Ben spoke up, but he shouldn't have had to. What is the point of those 'body guards' that hover in the room the whole time?
              I know if Hollie had been in there it would have been different. Course now she gets yelled at by management cause the stars all like her and are extremely friendly with her. They think she's too familiar with them. The girl can't help it if they walk up to her and give her a hug. It's sad because it's turned her off from volunteering. Said they can't yell if she's just a attendee. If they do discourage her, it's their loss cause she worked her butt off for them.

How about the guy that goes to all these M&G (at least at the last Chicago con) and tries to talk business the entire time. Didn't he get Chris Judge to ask Gary if this guy could be invited to the Gold desert party, even though he didn't have a gold ticket?
              sigpic

Comment

I just asked Kate Hewlett on twitter if she'd please do the Karaoke night, and she said, and I quote, "Count me in!"... YESSS! SO stoked. She's totally my favourite actress ever. This trip just keeps getting better and better!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
                  I just asked Kate Hewlett on twitter if she'd please do the Karaoke night, and she said, and I quote, "Count me in!"... YESSS! SO stoked. She's totally my favourite actress ever. This trip just keeps getting better and better!
                  That's awesome! Did you ask David Hewlett too (seeing that you might a David Hewlett fan) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kikyonyc View Post
                    That's awesome! Did you ask David Hewlett too (seeing that you might a David Hewlett fan) ?
                    Haha. I am a David fan! But he doesn't reply to me anymore really, so I pretty much don't bother tweeting him anything that requires an answer. Makes me feel pointless and stupid.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Karaoke party is on Friday night, David doesn't appear until Sunday while Kate is there the entire weekend.

Comment

I guess I'm going to the David Hewlett Meet and Greet. *sigh* Goodbye $250.
                        sigpic

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                          4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                          Thursday April 26, 2012
                          Time: 7:00pm
                          Attendees:
                          mamasue9
                          Camelot7414
                          Geoi McKay
                          MylittleEli
                          Doublecut
                          AnnieS
                          Nut_ty
                          hlndncr
                          Krisz
                          silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                          Scarym1
                          Starbird
                          Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                          SabrinaB - very excited
                          Nynaeve69+1
                          CareBear
                          Clairec007
                          Arctic Goddess +2
                          Rivers
                          Maidenhead Reds
                          Picardythirds

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                          Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                          Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                          Doublecut
                          mamasue9
                          Dr. Carson Beckett
                          Camelot7414
                          Krisz
                          Geoi McKay
                          Snowflake + 3
                          silvercomet
                          Scarym1
                          AnnieS + 1 maybe
                          Nynaeve69 +1
                          MylittleEli
                          SabrinaB
                          Starbird
                          Clairec007
                          Jian
                          picardythirds
                          nakedwesley
                          knightie
                          Vecturist
                          SGAFan + 1
                          Hoschi
                          Lea
                          helen450
                          Nut_ty

hlndncr
                          Dimonah Tralon
                          CareBear
                          llp
                          RinkRat
                          Arctic Goddess +2
                          taris-eirien
                          dakodia
                          SweetTart
                          Ovolactopesco
                          Rivers
                          Vala-Mal-Doran
                          Maidenhead Reds
                          SeiyaTheLeaper

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 15*
                          *bumping forward*

Comment

Okay has anyone heard from Vala-Mal-Doran. Still trying to find out if she needs roomies for the con.
                            MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                            MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                            POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                            CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                            GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                            VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                            FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

I didn't manage to win one of the VIP passes, bummer, considering I was out cold at the time the auction ended. However, I put that money to good use and got tickets to the David Hewlett and Paul McGillion Meet & Greets.

I hope there won't be any schedule conflicts with photo ops, specifically Jewel Staite or Joe Flanigan, as I'll be able to do the Kate Hewlett and Robert Picardo photo ops on another day.

Comment

Are the tickets for things (e.g., M&G's, photo ops, cabaret party) usually the same price at the convention, or do the prices go up from what is listed on the website?
                                sigpic
                                ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Working...
                                X