No announcement yet.

Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Friday of the convention usually a full day of panels and whatnot or is it usually more of a half day, with things going on more in the afternoon and evening?

My friend and I will be coming in on either Tuesday or Wednesday, and we are trying to cram both Victoria and Vancouver into the days before the con starts. So, we are thinking about staying in downtown Vancouver on Thursday and not checking into the Hilton until Friday.
    sigpic
    ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
      Yea, scarym! Wow, 6 weeks without transport in the winter, in Canada! I am shivering and grumpy just thinking about it! And congrats on the tax refund!

Since I started this new job, I have a bit more leeway on the days I can take. That's why I'm reassessing the dates I fly. I was planning on getting in on Tuesday, and going home the next Tuesday, but now, I dunno. I'll definitely be there by Thursday.

Either way, it's going to be AWESOMEBALLS! Let's just pray for some nice weather.

Congrats on the new job.

Fortunately we have had quite a mild winter so it wasn't so bad walking. Some say that was why the strike went on for so long.

The weather is always nice in Vancouver. Right now it is a balmy 43 F.

Only 44 more days to go.
      sigpic
      Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Just looked at the Meet and Greets on Creation's site. I don't think I've ever seen so few spots sold. Sign of the times?
        sigpic

Comment

I just looked on the Creation site and it looks like they've got more tickets available for the Monday location tour. So instead of going to Victoria we may do that, or possibly go to Victoria on Thursday.

Comment

Since I was planning to stay in Van a couple of days extra, would you guys recommend staying before the con, or after?

I was thinking before, because I'd get to have time to myself to explore the city/area, and it would be all new and exciting. And was thinking that, after the con, I might be pretty much spent emotionally and want to just go home. But then, I also am going to be on a slim budget, and wondering if I should think about being sure I have the money for all the convention stuff/dinners before I go hopping around Vancouver and Burnaby.

I mean, because I don't know how much I should be saving, or even if I'd be able to save anything once I visit the Canucks store on Robson. But seriously, you know how it goes. Hit up one or two pubs and coffee shops and buy a few souvenirs, and you've already spent more than you'd have thought you would.

So, suggestions?
            I usually leave it till after in case someone has a trip out during the con in the morning. Also you will be aclimatised to the weather / jet lag / area.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
              Just looked at the Meet and Greets on Creation's site. I don't think I've ever seen so few spots sold. Sign of the times?
              Yes, looks like lots of spots still open for Chris Judge, Jewel and Robert P., Sarah/Ryan... Kavan is doing quite well though!

That's been pretty common, I've noticed. Creation just starts another auction up with the remaining seats, until they are all sold. Any left over and they sell them at the con. Even the SPN cons don't sell off all the celeb MGs in one go. More people watching their money, I figure.
              sigpic

Comment

A list of all the people on the location tours so we know where people are!

Just add your name to the bottom of the list and remove quotes.

Location Tour Thursday
                Starbird
                Krisz
                Camelot7414
                Clairec007

Location Tour Monday
                Sabrina B
                Maidenhead Reds
                Dimonah Tralon
                hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
                  Yes, looks like lots of spots still open for Chris Judge, Jewel and Robert P., Sarah/Ryan... Kavan is doing quite well though!

That's been pretty common, I've noticed. Creation just starts another auction up with the remaining seats, until they are all sold. Any left over and they sell them at the con. Even the SPN cons don't sell off all the celeb MGs in one go. More people watching their money, I figure.
                  In LA, we ended up with 11 people at our M&G with Kavan, Eddie McClintock and Saul Rubinek. Only 9 sold before the con. Made for a very crowded table and a very strange M&G. Kavan commented that it was the strangest one he's ever been at. Probably a result of having several actors from different shows. Instead of just asking the actor questions, it was a very general conversation that went from sex to God in about two seconds.

We had one VIP from the Farscape con that apparently thought that the VIP pass would get him whatever he wanted. He was extremely insistant that Kavan sit next to him to the point of being rude about it.
                  sigpic

Comment

I mean, because I don't know how much I should be saving, or even if I'd be able to save anything once I visit the Canucks store on Robson. But seriously, you know how it goes.
                    Wait! There's a Canucks store on Robson? I've seen a general hockey store during my convention commutes but I never knew of any actual Canucks stores other than the team store at GM Pl... eh, sorry... Rogers Arena.

Originally posted by iheartcam View Post
                    Is the Friday of the convention usually a full day of panels and whatnot or is it usually more of a half day, with things going on more in the afternoon and evening?
                    Friday is actually looking to be just as packed as Saturday and Sunday. Depending on the size of the guest list, Fridays at a three-day con are usually the lightest as the Star Trek convention last year had just Connor Trinneer and Dominick Keating on Friday, whereas Stargate will have: Barclay Hope, Suanne Braun, Sarah Strange, Ryan Robbins, Andee Frizzell and Brent Stait. We'll need to wait until the schedule is posted before we find out how many (if any) are in joint stage panels or if they all have individual stage time, not to mention the Cabaret and Karaoke party on Friday night.

There is also Robert Picardo, Kate Hewlett (both of whom will be taking the stage on Sunday) and Mike Dopud (on stage on Saturday) who are advertised as meeting fans in the vendors area through-out the convention.

So, if pre-registration takes place on Thursday evening, Friday should be an early start and packed day. Like Adam has said at the conventions, there will be time to sleep when the convention is over.

Originally posted by camelot7414 View Post
                    We had one VIP from the Farscape con that apparently thought that the VIP pass would get him whatever he wanted. He was extremely insistant that Kavan sit next to him to the point of being rude about it.
                    That's too bad. VIP is a privilege, not a right and everybody paid good money for meet and greet tickets, so unless there was any sort of seat lottery, it should be a first come/first serve type of seating arrangement. Well... hopefully none of the people who get VIP passes for this convention will have any sort of attitude problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post

That's too bad. VIP is a privilege, not a right and everybody paid good money for meet and greet tickets, so unless there was any sort of seat lottery, it should be a first come/first serve type of seating arrangement. Well... hopefully none of the people who get VIP passes for this convention will have any sort of attitude problem.
                      He kept waving the pass in our faces, saying "well I have this and I spent $500 for it". I'm like, so, I paid more than that in Chicago, and that didn't entitle me to anything more than the backstage pass and front of line privileges. My roommate was in charge of the Farscape VIP's and said he was like that about everything. She knew exactly who I was talking about, lol. He kept trying to get Nici to move over so Kavan could sit between him and her. It was kind of funny in the end as Kavan came in, walked behind me, and I told him he could sit in the seat next to me if he wanted. The guy said, "or you can sit here", pointing to the seat next to him. Kavin said "I do what I'm told", and sat next to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

There are definitely some people that don't know how to behave at these things. A friend told me in a Ben Browder M&G someone had their kid there (had to be at least 6 to get in), and the kid went around hitting people on the back of the head. The mother didn't stop them. Ben had to finally say something to get them to stop.
                        sigpic

Comment

There are definitely some people that don't know how to behave at these things. A friend told me in a Ben Browder M&G someone had their kid there (had to be at least 6 to get in), and the kid went around hitting people on the back of the head. The mother didn't stop them. Ben had to finally say something to get them to stop.
                          OMG, seriously??? That's just rude!
                          It would be interesting to go to a M&G, but I think I would be totally awkward and wouldn't say a thing, cause I'm so shy.

Originally posted by Dr. Carson Beckett View Post
                          Wait! There's a Canucks store on Robson? I've seen a general hockey store during my convention commutes but I never knew of any actual Canucks stores other than the team store at GM Pl... eh, sorry... Rogers Arena.
                          There are several Canucks stores in downtown Vancouver. They even opened up a new one somewhere in the city, on Hastings and Renfrew, but that's an outlet store. Last year during playoffs there was also a store on Granville Street, when you go downstairs to the skytrain (Granville Station), but not sure if it's still there. I noticed they opened several locations in downtown Vancouver just for the playoffs.

Anyway I arrive Wednesday morning and leave Monday afternoon. If anyone is up for lunch or dinner somewhere in the city , let me know. Not sure how my internet is going to be (I will take my iPod, but will have to steal wifi from Starbucks to go online), but maybe we can exchange cell phone numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoschi View Post
                            OMG, seriously??? That's just rude!
                            It would be interesting to go to a M&G, but I think I would be totally awkward and wouldn't say a thing, cause I'm so shy.
                            Yeah, I'm fairly shy in these things, but even if you don't want to talk, there are plenty of other people that do, so it's not too awkward. It took me a couple of times doing a M&G before I finally got up the nerve to speak, but when you do, it's worth it. The guests I've met are very nice and surprisingly down to earth. It doesn't take long until you realize their just people too. I actually went up and spoke to Kavan by myself for a couple minutes at the end. Got a goodbye hug out of it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm fairly shy in these things, but even if you don't want to talk, there are plenty of other people that do, so it's not too awkward. It took me a couple of times doing a M&G before I finally got up the nerve to speak, but when you do, it's worth it. The guests I've met are very nice and surprisingly down to earth. It doesn't take long until you realize their just people too. I actually went up and spoke to Kavan by myself for a couple minutes at the end. Got a goodbye hug out of it.
                              I actually enjoyed the Cocktail Party they had last year. Yes, there wasn't much time to talk to the guests...maybe 10 minutes each, but from what I remember it was a lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post

That's kinda sucky. I'd be way more happy about spending hundreds of dollars I don't have for my M&G if there were less people. I will try not to be a "conversation hog", but damn me if it doesn't just happen. I guess I'll say something like, "Hey, if I am being an attention hog, just please cut me off." Like ask the other people to tell me to STFU. I sincerely probably won't notice at the time.
                                sigpic
                                "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Working...
                                X