Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
    Con n00b quesiton!

So I finally got everything together and I go to buy my ticket and I noticed this

"Row Listings are tentative and seat locations are subject to change"

Has it ever changed? because I like the seat I picked and would be very disappointed if the rows changed and got clumped together.
    No. Nada. Nein. Non. Naw. Nah. Nutt. Nope. Negative. Nahin. Ghobe. Méiy?u . Nashi . Hakuna. Ei. Deyil. Voch. Ikke. Tidak. Aniyo. Néra. Não. Mïmi. Yok. Không. Nid Oes. Illa.

Been to a lot of cons, and have never experienced that.

oh, and I can say no in sign language too.
    Music and Stargate
    sigpic
    Perfection

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post
      No. Nada. Nein. Non. Naw. Nah. Nutt. Nope. Negative. Nahin. Ghobe. Méiy?u . Nashi . Hakuna. Ei. Deyil. Voch. Ikke. Tidak. Aniyo. Néra. Não. Mïmi. Yok. Không. Nid Oes. Illa.

Yes I have had it change before but for me it was for the better. My first year I was in the back row at the Vancouver con and there was a "walk way" between me and the row in front of me so I constantly had people walking in front of me to get to their seat during the panels and when I was trying to take a picture (even though none of them turned out great because I was in the back of the room but none the less was quite annoying). So after 2 days of complaining they changed the layout so people walked behind us instead of in front of us. And I think I remember hearing that a year or two ago some one had their seat changed as well but they were moved up too can't remember the reason. Don't think I've heard seats changing for the worse though.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
        Con n00b quesiton!

So I finally got everything together and I go to buy my ticket and I noticed this

"Row Listings are tentative and seat locations are subject to change"

Has it ever changed? because I like the seat I picked and would be very disappointed if the rows changed and got clumped together.
        I was moved closer to the stage. There was a "removal" of a row in the seating chart.

Comment

One thing I have noticed. Is they tend to move the chairs around. Especially after events held at night. I'll have been in one spot on one day and the next I'll be sitting a bit closer or farther away.
          MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
          MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
          POLARIS TORONTO 2007
          CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
          GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
          VCON VANCOUVER 2010
          FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Looks like Gold has almost sold out.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey everybody--

Vancouver will only be my second convention (first one being LA, 2011), and I'd like to make it memorable...especially with it being the last one.

Has anyone gotten the backstage VIP passes or the 1 hour meet and greets before? What was your experience like? In your opinion, was it worth paying the auction prices Creation is asking?

I'd be interested in bidding on a couple of those things, but I'd like to know a bit more about what actually happens before I give Creation several hundred more dollars!

Thanks in advance!!
              sigpic
              ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

GateWorld Meetup Dinner at Red Robin
                4640 Kingsway(around the corner from the Hilton)
                Thursday April 26, 2012
                Time: 7:00pm
                Attendees:
                mamasue9
                Camelot7414
                Geoi McKay
                MylittleEli
                Doublecut
                AnnieS
                Nut_ty
                hlndncr
                Krisz
                silvercomet (hope I'll arrive in time)
                Scarym1
                Starbird
                Dimonah Tralon

Snowflake
                SabrinaB - very excited
                Nynaeve69+1
                CareBear
                Clairec007
                Arctic Goddess +2
                Rivers
                Maidenhead Reds
                Picardythirds

Official Final GateWorld Dinner Sign-Up
                Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 8pm
                Earl's -- 4361 Kingsway (just around the block from the hotel)

It's officially time to start planning for what will (sadly) be the final official GateWorld dinner in Vancouver. Our home for the past several years (Sammy J Peppers) closed their doors, so I was tasked with finding a new and last home for us that was nearby and could accomodate all of us. It wasn't an easy job.

Prices for menu items are mostly comparable to previous years. Attending the dinner does not mean you HAVE to eat. The potential size of this year's group -- between forum members, special guests (some are con guests, some are NOT), and Stargate crew -- means that eating may need to be staggered no matter how we do it. Rest assured though, between the spacious lounge area we'll have, the cast and crew drop-ins I'm setting up, potential prize giveaways and the later closing time (11pm)...we're all going to make this final dinner one not to forget.

To sign up, simply reply to this post, add your forum name in the appropriate area, and remove the quote tags. It's as simple as that. Please also indicate if you plan on bringing guests (+1, +2, etc.). Extra guests are fine, but only forum members can win any potential prizes we giveaway.

Finally, Earl's has stated that giving them a menu list of our choices is unnecessary. However, as an aid to both them and us, we're doing it anyway. After reviewing the menu off their site, please PM mamasue9 with your items. She'll be keeping tabs over the next 10 weeks.

Can't wait to see all of you in Stargate's hometown one final time!

Earl's Official Website

GUEST LIST:
                Doublecut
                mamasue9
                Dr. Carson Beckett
                Camelot7414
                Krisz
                Geoi McKay
                Snowflake + 3
                silvercomet
                Scarym1
                AnnieS + 1 maybe
                Nynaeve69 +1
                MylittleEli
                SabrinaB
                Starbird
                Clairec007
                Jian
                picardythirds
                nakedwesley
                knightie
                Vecturist
                SGAFan + 1
                Hoschi
                Lea
                helen450
                Nut_ty

hlndncr
                Dimonah Tralon
                CareBear
                llp
                RinkRat
                Arctic Goddess +2
                taris-eirien
                dakodia
                SweetTart
                Ovolactopesco
                Rivers
                Vala-Mal-Doran
                Maidenhead Reds
                SeiyaTheLeaper

*Last day to submit menu orders is April 15*

Comment

Originally posted by iheartcam View Post
                  Hey everybody--

Vancouver will only be my second convention (first one being LA, 2011), and I'd like to make it memorable...especially with it being the last one.

Has anyone gotten the backstage VIP passes or the 1 hour meet and greets before? What was your experience like? In your opinion, was it worth paying the auction prices Creation is asking?

I'd be interested in bidding on a couple of those things, but I'd like to know a bit more about what actually happens before I give Creation several hundred more dollars!

Thanks in advance!!

When Creation first started the VIP packages, a friend and I were the first of only three people to take advantage. Since they had not done it before, I think we got extra special treatment and some awesome food provided. They asked what we would like, we told them and they agreed. So it was pretty cool. We could walk to the front of the line and get into the rooms for the breakfasts or other special functions first and visit with the celebs behind the stage, etc. The one thing that bothered me about the experience was that, although I had paid an extra $500.00, I constantly felt guilty for taking advantage of it. To me, it was just rude to walk past people who had been waiting in line to get into a breakfast, or whatever was going on. But it did give me a taste of what it must be like to be a celebrity, which was interesting and a guilty pleasure. My friend and I would walk past people and say, "Uh, we are the ones that bought the VIP package, so we were told we could do this. I hope you don't mind", or, "Sorry, um...we really are sorry..."

Other than that, you really don't get that much more time with the celebrity behind the stage curtain, and when you do, you can't really hear them talk to you because the auditorium is so noisy. However, if you really, really want to have some time with a favorite actor, the meet and greets are pretty cool. You only have about 9 other people, tops, in the room with you and the celebrity. If everyone behaves themselves and takes their turn talking to the celebrity, it's a great experience. Sometimes, however, there will be an attention hog in the group who can ruin it for everyone else. I'd suggest being prepared for that since celebrities will not often tell the person to let others have a turn. And then the others just stew and get madder and madder, but they don't do anything about it, but complain afterwards. And, as far as I know, Creation does not referee the event, so, you may want to come up with a plan of action should that happen to you. I suggest coming up with some assertive (not aggressive) things to say to the attention hog, should that happen at a meet and greet you attend. After all, you have paid the same amount of money as everyone else in the room; you deserve the right to talk to the celebrity too.
                  Those are the pros and cons that I have discovered. I hope that helps.
                  Last edited by Arctic Goddess; 06 March 2012, 06:12 PM.
                  Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake View Post

Excellent. Glad to hear that things rarely change for the worse...I like my seat. Someone add me to the chart? L13, I believe.

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post

My friend and I would walk past people and say, "Uh, we are the ones that bought the VIP package, so we were told we could do this. I hope you don't mind", or, "Sorry, um...we really are sorry..."

How C A N A D I A N of you

Comment

Hey everybody--

Thanks in advance!!
                      I've done quite a few of the Meet N Greets and I have had pretty good experiences with them.
                      Like AG said, there can be conversation hogs. I was at two that had kids and both times the actor spent so much time talking to the kids, the rest of us got left out. At least one actor will always do that so I won't do any more M&G's with that person who is not at the convention this year. Most of the actors - Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett were great about making sure they connected with each person at the table, Joe even asked me during my photo op last year if I got all my questions answered. I know in the past both Joe and David have had conversation hogs and I am sure they heard about it - Creation definitely did, so I think those two try to be conscientious of making sure that they connect with everyone.

Last year they had a few group M&G's with several talent at one M&G and those were fun because everyone got to interact if they wanted.

If someone does end up hogging the conversation, feel free to jump in with a question...the actor can get so caught up in the conversation and not realize that they have not talk with everyone and they really do want to make sure that they answer everyone's questions if they can...so be respectful but don't be afraid to jump in if one person keeps on talking and/or asking questions.

I have been to several M&G's and have enjoyed each one. I am not one that likes to stand up front to ask questions and I love to listen to the Talent's stories so it works out for me when I can afford them.

Price wise - that's really a subjective thing. Most of them I thought were way too expensive but it is a bidding process so the price is what it is. The more popular the actor, the higher the price. I had a little extra spending money so that's how I chose to use it.

If you can afford it, it's fun. You really not missing much that is usually not already discussed on Stage.

Creation has had problems with fans coming in and telling other fans where to sit, so now - at least for the popular actors - they have you drawing numbers for seat positions. Last year, I was last one in the room because I had to get my photo op with Hewlett first and the last number was lucky 7; lucky 'cause it was one of the seats next to Joe!
                      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I got the VIP pass for last year's Star Trek con in Vancouver and definitely wish I could have got it for last year's Vancouver Stargate con, considering how long I had to wait in lines being in Row G. The worth, however, is subjective as to whether you find the perks to be worth the price.

I think, for me, the two most memorable bits with the backstage meet and greets were with Connor Trinneer and JG Hertzler & Robert O'Reilly. For Connor, it was fun to hear his wall banner being auctioned off and Connor shouting for people to bid more, adding handshakes (for men) and hugs (for women) as incentive. JG Hertzler and Robert O'Reilly, on the other hand, were in costume as Martok and Gowron so it was crazy for sure. It's certainly surreal when Martok sits down next to you and asks how to pronounce "Canucks" while Gowron extends his hand and says "Hi, I'm Bob."

It can definitely be hard to hear with the general noise level in the auditorium, especially if the guest is soft spoken. However, my main interest especially from experience last year is the front of the line access for the long queues.

Comment

Thanks for all the insight and stories about the VIP passes and m&g's!! You've all given me a lot to think about!
                          sigpic
                          ~~sig created by bailey1ak~~

Comment

Hi Everyone

Finally made it back to GateWorld. It's nice to see all the familiar names. Hi to everyone. I miss everyone. I would love to come to Vancouver - even just for the parties but it is highly unlikely. But never say never.

Dana Lee
                            sigpic
                            Lets Go Red Wings

Comment

Originally posted by DanaLee View Post
                              Hi Everyone

Finally made it back to GateWorld. It's nice to see all the familiar names. Hi to everyone. I miss everyone. I would love to come to Vancouver - even just for the parties but it is highly unlikely. But never say never.

Dana Lee
                              Hey Dana!

It won't be the same without you there!
                              I am going to VanCon, thanks to AG!

Sadly, I will not be at ChicagoCon this year, unless I come into some money before then.

Those Wings are going great again this year. Doesn't look like the Flames will make the playoffs, again.....

Comment

Originally posted by DanaLee View Post
                                Hi Everyone

Dana Lee
                                Hi DanaLee, shame you can't make it, but as you say.............!

Can't believe how fast time is flying, the con is next month already!

Is anyone around on the Wednesday before the con? Want to meet up and decide on the day what to do,jump in the car and do some location sightseeing or just hang around. Otherwise, I'll just stay and laze around in Maple Ridge and enjoy not having to get up at 6am to go to work!

Updated seating chart.

Comment

Working...
                                X