Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doublecut View Post
    Hi all! So in regards to the GW dinner, I'm still waiting to hear back from the restaraunt...but I wanted to let you know I received this message in my personal email yesterday in regards to it...

"Hey Chad, Merry Christmas!
    My name is ********** and I am among twenty-or-so crewmembers that have worked on Stargate from SG-1's pilot episode until the very last day of SGU.
    As I'm sure you know, for every screen credit position on any show there are a dozens that remain somewhat invisible to the public, I was one of those.
    I was the series' de-facto graphic designer responsible for items like signage, military insignia, tattoos, alien text (including Ancient),weapons control systems etc.
    I later moved more towards fabrication and had virtually every piece used in the construction of SGU's Destiny pass through the hands of either me or my assistant.
    While our stories may not be as wild and woolly as some of the on-set crew, there are quite a few tales to be told of hidden messages snuck into Ancient text, specific design elements of some military insignia and more.
    My family and I are currently vacationing and will be back in Vancouver in January where I will resume work on Falling Skies. I won't know what my schedule will look like until I get back but would certainly be interested in attending, and please know there are dozens behind the scenes types like me that would likely feel the same way.

Have a wonderful Christmas, look forward to hearing from you again."

So, my question is...would those already planning to attend enjoy the presence and the ability to pick the brains of many of the behind the scenes crew that have remained unsung for the most part? Could be another fun way to celebrate this final con, and these guests would be in addition to special guest cast members. Sound off!
    Sometimes these guys/gals have the BEST stories to tell!
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

GateWorld dinner info is beginning to firm up. Some big changes though. Sammy J's is no longer in business on Kingsway so I'm securing a new location near the Hilton that's comparable. More info and official beginning of list to come after I finish all the details...Hold tight, Gaters!
      Creation Chicago Con 2004, 2005, 2008-2015
      Creation Vancouver Con 2008-2012 R.I.P.
      Creation Minneapolis Con (HOST) 2010
      Wizard Chicago Comic-Con 2010-2015
      Cyphan Con Chicago (TALENT MANAGER) 2010-2012
      Con-Version Calgary 2010
      C2E2 2013-2015
      TimeGate 2014, 2015 (GUEST)
      Hawaii Con 2014, 2015 (STAFF/PANEL MODERATOR)
      Fantasticon Milwaukee 2014
      FCD (First Contact Day) 2015, 2016 (HOST/TALENT COORDINATOR)

Comment

Hi all! So in regards to the GW dinner, I'm still waiting to hear back from the restaraunt...but I wanted to let you know I received this message in my personal email yesterday in regards to it...

My name is ********** and I am among twenty-or-so crewmembers that have worked on Stargate from SG-1's pilot episode until the very last day of SGU.
        As I'm sure you know, for every screen credit position on any show there are a dozens that remain somewhat invisible to the public, I was one of those.
        I was the series' de-facto graphic designer responsible for items like signage, military insignia, tattoos, alien text (including Ancient),weapons control systems etc.
        I later moved more towards fabrication and had virtually every piece used in the construction of SGU's Destiny pass through the hands of either me or my assistant.
        While our stories may not be as wild and woolly as some of the on-set crew, there are quite a few tales to be told of hidden messages snuck into Ancient text, specific design elements of some military insignia and more.
        My family and I are currently vacationing and will be back in Vancouver in January where I will resume work on Falling Skies. I won't know what my schedule will look like until I get back but would certainly be interested in attending, and please know there are dozens behind the scenes types like me that would likely feel the same way.

So, my question is...would those already planning to attend enjoy the presence and the ability to pick the brains of many of the behind the scenes crew that have remained unsung for the most part? Could be another fun way to celebrate this final con, and these guests would be in addition to special guest cast members. Sound off!
        I think he sounds very interesting. Would love the chance to meet him and his friends!
        sigpic

Comment

GateWorld dinner info is beginning to firm up. Some big changes though. Sammy J's is no longer in business on Kingsway so I'm securing a new location near the Hilton that's comparable. More info and official beginning of list to come after I finish all the details...Hold tight, Gaters!

I'm excited - and not exactly disappointed we won't be going to Sammy J's.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm definitely interested in meeting the behind the scenes guy(s). I'd love to hear their stories, having heard the stories of an 'Extra' with getting to know 'B.A.G'(the guy memorably clutching his briefcase and making notes in SGU's episode 'Faith'), over a couple of lunches, I found them to be really entertaining and gave wonderful insights in to what went on behind the scenes. It's nice to meet others who helped make the wonderful shows we all love possible with their contributions.

I wonder if he might know the guy whose name is on a business card with the SG-1 logo on it and the studio address I found tucked away on the back of a framed signed photo I have of RDA as Colonel O'Neill in the early SG-1 days. My daughter was given this by a work colleague who had received it as thanks for her company's help in providing goods for the production of the show when my daughter told her I really liked Stargate and RDA.

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
            Is your tour on Thursday because Creation just added the second location tour for Monday, which in the past there were two location tours?
            Yes, I'm going on the Thursday tour. At the time I bought it they were only offering the one day. Looks like there was quite a demand for it so it's good they added another day.

Comment

There are quite a few people I know on the Thursday Tour so it should be fun!
              Last edited by Starbird; 23 December 2011, 05:31 AM. Reason: added info.
              sigpic

Comment

Do you think it would be really really bad if we just rented a car and followed the bus around? LOL Totally kidding! I've got my own stuff to do on Thursday.
                sigpic
                "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by Geoi McKay View Post
                  Do you think it would be really really bad if we just rented a car and followed the bus around? LOL Totally kidding! I've got my own stuff to do on Thursday.
                  Trust me its not allowed. As it is, the people on the bus tour have to sign a waiver not to publish pictures on the internet or anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                    Trust me its not allowed. As it is, the people on the bus tour have to sign a waiver not to publish pictures on the internet or anywhere else.

Which considering Stargate is over and done with and more than likely never going to use those Locations again seems rather ridiculous to me now....same goes for pics of the old Set Tours.....

Deeds xx
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                      Which considering Stargate is over and done with and more than likely never going to use those Locations again seems rather ridiculous to me now....same goes for pics of the old Set Tours.....

Deeds xx
                      ^ Agree!

Wow, I didn't know about the waiver and no pic-posting. Seems bloody well pointless to even go, in my book. $200 so that you can keep it all to yourself? That's like paying someone to mug you.
                      sigpic
                      "It's all in the Algorithm." -Rodney McKay

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post

Deeds xx
                        I've wondered about that, the sets don't exist anymore so why can't we share our photos of the sets? I agree, it's ridiculous. As for the locations, I can't believe that you have to sign a waiver for sharing photos of places in Vancouver, most of which are there for anyone to photograph!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                          I've wondered about that, the sets don't exist anymore so why can't we share our photos of the sets? I agree, it's ridiculous. As for the locations, I can't believe that you have to sign a waiver for sharing photos of places in Vancouver, most of which are there for anyone to photograph!!
                          I went on the set tour last year and I don't recall having to sign any waiver. We went to a lot of places, including getting to go inside Jack's home. I think if they were still filming then you might have to sign the waiver but since they are not, I suspect it won't be an issue. Someone should contact Creation and have them ask Lynn.
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

That waiver was the main reason I didn't buy a ticket for the bus location tour in previous years. I could see it required for the actual set tours because of filming and other secrets.

Comment

Happy Festivities to All!..

Mr and Mrs Deeds xxx
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Looks like the Thursday tour is already sold-out according to Creation's website.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X