This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does gatecon have set tours

I know that there has already been a great deal of discussion about Gatecon v. Creation Con but I am still undecided. The price is of course a factor but since I am flying from Miami I have decided to go with whichever one has more actors and events. Creation Con has a set tour but does Gatecon? Also, speaking of money, will only gold pass Creation Con people get to tour the sets or will people that buy cheaper tickets also be able to? Gatecon does trips to filming locations but I am unsure if Creation Con will. Also, someone mentioned that many of the big names will not be at Gatecon because it will be more of a general sci fi function made up of actors that have had guest spots on Stargate. Is this correct? Any help would be great since I want to make a decision prior to the Creation Con tickets rising.

I know for a fact that the Creation Con has Set tours offered only to the Gold Package ticket holders. I thought "Gate-Con" had set tours, too. There is a thread around here dealing with GateCon, but I can't seem to find it right now. I think GateCon does offer tours, but don't hold me to that. Veteran GateCon goers can probably answer this question better than I can.

Comment

Gatecon has had set tours for at least the last three years. These were auctioned close to the event and the money raised went to charity. Gatecon was also very much a Stargate event, with large numbers of actors coming, from the headliners to 3rd Jaffa on the left and lots of backstage folks too: stunt men, Jan the lovely make-up lady, producers, directors and writers. All this happened with the help of the people at Bridge Studios in Vancouver. They also always had actors coming in from other shows (often freinds of planned guests would just turn up).

Now MGM has signed a deal to provide set tours and official support to Creation's convention, which makes them money. It's as a result of this that Gatecon has decided to go more multi-media, since they can no longer get the same support they've had in the past. As it stands at the moment it looks unlikely that they will have tours of the Stargate set.

I'm not totally giving up on Gatecon having the set tours again. Last year it looked like they would not happen, but a very short time before the con they were suddenly back on (Gary at Creation has said he had something to do with getting them back on again, I've also heard it was someone else, maybe it was both, who knows). I guess you can't count on it.

Gatecon is going to be 5 days, with probably many more actors (maybe not so high a percentage of headliners, but I'm sure most regular con goers will agree that how high they are on the credits isn't always a measure of how much fun they are at a con). They'll also have the location tours. And if they don't go on the Stargate set, I wouldn't be surprised if they arrange a trip to another set. There are some great shows that film in Vancouver.

Gatecon will have more actors and more events I should think. But will the actors include Stargate majors? I'd be surprised if they don't end up getting at least a few. But I guess we can't count on it.

Myself, I wouldn't support Creation Vancouver. Gary at Creation seems a nice enough guy and it's nothing personal, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Gatecon has been promoting Stargate and raising money for charity in the process for years, and it's just not right that suddenly they can't do that because (it seems) MGM would rather do whatever makes them the most money.
      My 100 Mile Challenge!

Comment

I know that there has already been a great deal of discussion about Gatecon v. Creation Con but I am still undecided. The price is of course a factor but since I am flying from Miami I have decided to go with whichever one has more actors and events. Creation Con has a set tour but does Gatecon?

Gatecon has had set tours the past 3 years, but they never know until closer to the event. which means, probably, they won't know until after the creation con is over

Also, speaking of money, will only gold pass Creation Con people get to tour the sets or will people that buy cheaper tickets also be able to?

check out the creation site, but it's my understanding that only those that pay 499, or 599 for the gold tickets get teh tour.

Gatecon does trips to filming locations but I am unsure if Creation Con will.

locations tours are kind of a separate event. I have no idea if gatecon is planning one, however a list of addresses, map of vancouver and rental car can work too (that's what my friends and i do)

i don't know, but my gut feeling is they might try to arrange some sort of locations tours, but it might not be stargate exclusive.

Also, someone mentioned that many of the big names will not be at Gatecon because it will be more of a general sci fi function made up of actors that have had guest spots on Stargate. Is this correct?

depends on who you ask. Actors have been reported to say they are bound to exclusive contracts with creation, creation denies it.

I believe the main reason gatecon is going for more of the supporting actors is due to creation's con and not being allowed access to the 'bigger' actors.

mgm has apparantly chosen to support the money making venture of creation, not gatecon. because of this, it is very likely that gatecon will not be as stargate focussed as it has been since its inception.

Precisely what gatecon is allowed to do, unfortunately, won't be apparant until after creation's con is over
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X