Stargate Minneapolis Convention June 12-13 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
    It's probably one of those things where hindsight might make more sense.

When they first put this convention out there, they really had no idea how the response would be. Minneapolis and Chicago are really not that far from each other, just alittle over 7 hours so this convention hits pretty much the same audience that would most likely go to the Chicago convention. Creation isn't known for putting on smaller conventions so I can see why they would go with a formula that has worked for them in the past.

I agree, I think the flat ticket price would have been the best and then pay for add-on's, though given how slow the auctions are going, maybe paying for add-on's is not such a good idea from a business standpoint.

These type of business decisons are not easy to make and you can only learn from them for future conventions!
    Well, I slept through econ in college. I most likely would have paid more for a better seat, but I wasn't interested in all the add-ons, so it made no sense for me to go for a more expensive ticket. As far as autographs go, I'm not sure if the guests get a percentage or not with Creation - or if it's part of their fee - and it probably varies with the guest (I know they get a cut with photo ops).

Like you said, Chicago is close to MSP and this con was announced at the last minute, which probably hurts. It also isn't that easy or cheap to fly into.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nakedwesley View Post
      Don't you think Joe and David should do a 3 hour talk?

I'm sure David would have no problem talking for three hours - as long as there was someone willing to talk laptops and gadgets with him. I'm more than willing to volunteer for this task if someone wants to shout me a ticket

On the one hand, it would look silly to have 12 empty rows between groups of people. On the other hand, I'd be a little put out if I paid for a gold pass, and the person in Row C paid for a day pass. Know what I mean?

I guess it's a little like being Row K(?) at the Vancouver con - you're one row in front of people who've paid less, but you get extra benefits.

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
      I don't know how big Creation expected this con to be, but I think a smarter strategy would have been to simply put up a flat ticket price (say $125) and let seat selection be first pay, first pick (like on most airlines). That ticket price might include either the dessert or breakfast, but would not include autographs. Makes sense to me, at least.

Does anyone think that maybe they would have more people coming if there weren't soo many cons on atm? We've just finished with Vancouver, there's the SE and MTM cons next month, Gatecon and Chicago after that - as well as the non Stargate and overseas cons.

Edit: Agree with you Vecturist - Minneapolis is not cheap to fly into. From Aus it's cheaper to go to Vancouver.

Originally posted by BeemersMommy View Post
      Kathryn,
      I'll take lots of Photos if I can, I'm working it!!! Hopefully like hubby did in Vancouver! It will rock it that happens. If not I'll cry afterward.

BTW: Beemer says hi!!
      Yay - have an awesome time. Remember not to let people drool on Joe - I can't have him smudgey for LA
      And give your little cutie a big hug for me
      Last edited by Kathryn; 01 June 2010, 08:29 PM.
      The Wraith the Wraith are a very bad race. A very bad race indeed
      Next convention: Creation LA SG/FS/Eureka WH13 Sanctuary TriCon

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
        A big part of the gold ticket though is the Dessert Party, the Breakfast Party and the autographs that are included as well as being first in line for the autographs. So even if Day passes do get to sit closer which if the convention ends up being a small one, it's much better for the guests to have everyone move up and sit closer together as it gives the more intimate feeling instead of talking to an empty space type feeling, then I would be okay with it.
        I don't think they're doing the breakfast this time around. At least, it's not on the website. I agree with the other comments though. Doubt they could change to a smaller room, given their stage set up, but they shouldn't have had the rows go so far to the sides. Maybe they can close off the back half of the room or something. Heck, we could almost all just sit in a circle on the floor and chat.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't think they're doing the breakfast this time around. At least, it's not on the website. I agree with the other comments though. Doubt they could change to a smaller room, given their stage set up, but they shouldn't have had the rows go so far to the sides. Maybe they can close off the back half of the room or something. Heck, we could almost all just sit in a circle on the floor and chat.
          Now that would be cool (somehow I could see someone like Colin doing that). I was going to make some comment about Joe bringing his guitar and doing a sing-al-long... (I'm in a weird mood at the moment).
          sigpic

Comment

Heck, we could almost all just sit in a circle on the floor and chat.
            Oh that would be so much fun - stop making those of us not coming jealous!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kathryn;11563958

[COLOR="green"
              Does anyone think that maybe they would have more people coming if there weren't soo many cons on atm? We've just finished with Vancouver, there's the SE and MTM cons next month, Gatecon and Chicago after that - as well as the non Stargate and overseas cons.

Edit: Agree with you Vecturist - Minneapolis is not cheap to fly into. From Aus it's cheaper to go to Vancouver.
              [/COLOR]

Yes. I'm going to SE and MTM. If I wasn't doing those I would have gone to Gatecon for sure. Despite my less than satisfactory experience with Creation in my first and only con with them I might have considered this one if it weren't for the fact I'm going to SE and MTM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I don't think they're doing the breakfast this time around. At least, it's not on the website.
                It sort of is and sort of isn't on the website. They don't have the breakfast in the agenda but it is listed under Dan Shea's name that he is attending Sunday morning breakfast!

Originally posted by nakedwesley
                I agree with the other comments though. Doubt they could change to a smaller room, given their stage set up, but they shouldn't have had the rows go so far to the sides. Maybe they can close off the back half of the room or something. Heck, we could almost all just sit in a circle on the floor and chat.
                LOL. I'm really liking the fact that this is going to be small convention. Smaller lines, more time for talking with the guests (at least we hope so) and more of a chance to get to meet and talk with other fans. It will be interesting to see how Creation sets this up for everyone next weekend!
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

hi all:
                  so does anyone know who won the gold passes??? james from chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by james watson View Post
                    hi all:
                    so does anyone know who won the gold passes??? james from chicago.
                    Don't think they've announced it yet. Should check the other thread and see...nope, no new posts in that thread. I'm curious to see who won too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't think they've announced it yet. Should check the other thread and see...nope, no new posts in that thread. I'm curious to see who won too.

I would have expected some exciting squealing (hell I know I would have been!), but maybe it was one of the newbies who joined just for the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by james watson View Post
                        hi there:

oh cool, what row are you in?? i'm in the fourth row this year row D1. is it august yet?? james from chicago. yes should be fun this year with lots of great guests.
                        Hey I'm A1 and A2 in Chicago. My client with Down Syndrome is coming with me so hopefully my friends will welcome him too!

Comment

This weekend used to be the Twilight Con. Twilight is having a big press junket and the actors had to back out. They threw this together to recoup the hotel costs a bit! I personally am thankful to have Stargate in my back door. I do wish they had more guests and stuff going on but it will be great to just be there in the moment having fun at a Con so quickly! I also understand why they put this one together when they needed to cancel Twilight.
                          I also thinks it says a lot about Stargate fans that out of all the conventions they could have done here they chose us!

Comment

Originally posted by BeemersMommy View Post
                            This weekend used to be the Twilight Con. Twilight is having a big press junket and the actors had to back out. They threw this together to recoup the hotel costs a bit! I personally am thankful to have Stargate in my back door. I do wish they had more guests and stuff going on but it will be great to just be there in the moment having fun at a Con so quickly! I also understand why they put this one together when they needed to cancel Twilight.
                            I also thinks it says a lot about Stargate fans that out of all the conventions they could have done here they chose us!
                            I'm curious what kind of deal Creation made with the guests...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
                              I'm curious what kind of deal Creation made with the guests...
                              One that involves money?

Seriously though, I think it'd be really interesting to see the contracts that Creation (or any convention) has with guests - not to pick at them, but just to see the business side of the industry.

I'm guessing that since most of the guests are people already appearing at multiple cons this year, it wouldn't be too hard to negotiate to have them fly over for a day (esp on the weekend). Wonder if the flights are included?

Comment

Hi, I'm a lurker-turned-soon-to-be-first-time-CreationCon-attendee. Since the new MPLS con is practically in my back yard, purchasing an extra con perk is tempting. I'm thinking about either the Hewlett M&G or the VIP pass. I've read the descriptions on the auction pages, but could anyone who's had either or both tell me about their experiences, especially with the VIP pass? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X