Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who listens to the DVD's audio commentaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who listens to the DVD's audio commentaries?

I always wondered where the fun lied in that. Don't get me wrong, some shows have great commentaries, that are really fun and entertaining to listen to, but any half serious shows are quite bland.
    They often just talk about how a scene was shot, or what the weather was like. It becomes an annoyance as one bad commentary could make you miss good ones, etc.

Originally posted by Automission View Post
    I always wondered where the fun lied in that. Don't get me wrong, some shows have great commentaries, that are really fun and entertaining to listen to, but any half serious shows are quite bland.
    They often just talk about how a scene was shot, or what the weather was like. It becomes an annoyance as one bad commentary could make you miss good ones, etc.
    I do!

but in some scenes that interest me... im like:
    "Talk about the ******* scene before it ends!!! and not about the weather or something like that!!! X.X

Comment

I have listened to all the stargate (sg-1 and SGA) DVD commentaries but only a few non stargate movies.

Comment

I've known a few other DVDs to have good commentaries. Most of the ones I like tend to deviate from to scenes though. I think my favourite one was on Ricky Gervais' Politics stand-up DVD. He read out a very over exaggerated diary he kept for his relatively unknown warm-up act. Back on topic, I don't think I've listened to any stargate commentaries because I only listen to commentaries that people recommend to me.

Comment

I don't think I have even seen one episode with commentary...maybe I should start listening.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, if I love a show I always give the commentary a try. So far, I haven't gotten that far in my Stargate viewing. But Futurama has a great commentary track on every episode and movie. The Futurama fan I am, I find the commentary almost as entertaining as the show itself.
            Most of the time they come with really interesting stuff about the show, like names and hidden feautres. And sometimes they just goof around in god Futurama stile.
            Going through the Stargate for the second time.
            Work in progress:
            sigpic

Comment

I listen to some of the commentaries. Mostly ones where they have at least one actor there, they seem to be more entertaining. I would really recommend you listen to commanteries done by Gary Jones and Peter DeLuise. They're often off topic but its just really funny.

Comment

I do. They are the reason why I buy the DVDs, they and other bonus features. My favorite SGA one? "Outcast", definitely. Andy Mikita had the funniest things to say about Joe Flanigan and Jason Momoa

Comment

I am a proud watcher of Stargate commentaries

I especially enjoy the ones that have Martin Wood, Martin Gero and David Hewlett commenting on the scenes, because those three are just hilarious as well as informative.

I recently bought seasons 2,3 and 4 of Atlantis just so I could watch the commentaries. I don't know what makes me like them so much, but I just do. And you get to know a lot of things about actors, behind the scenes stuff and the occasional deleted scene.
                  "The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!"

Comment

Originally posted by asdfgh View Post
                    I would really recommend you listen to commanteries done by Gary Jones and Peter DeLuise. They're often off topic but its just really funny.
                    They annoy the hell out of me.

The more extras on a DVD-set, the happier I am. If there's a special edition set of a film than I'll wait for that - if it has more features that is.

I've listened to most of the SGA commentaries when it comes to Stargate DVD's, except season 3 because those were just down-right disappointing, and season 4 because I don't own that set.

Of all the DVD's that I have, be they film or serie, I listen to the commentaries at least once. I love the inside scoop of shows, and the more they talk about anything else the more disappointing they get. If you can't stick to what is going on screen, then don't do a commentary for the sake of having that as a feature.

Even with the LOTR extended editions I did the commentary-watching. They are super hilarious, especially with the guy playing King Theoden. ROTFL!! Seriously funny.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I love listening to Audio commentries... i've not bought DVDs purely on the fact that they didn't have one listed in their extras....

The SG ones can be quite fun... though they can also be a bore IMHO.

The best DVD commentry i've heard was the M:I3 commentry with Cruise and Abrams

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I love the audio commentaries!
                        Martin Wood and Amanda Tapping did great ones (All IMHO, of course )

To me it adds to enjoying fandom more than to enjoying the actual episode. It's fun to know what goes on behind the scenes and to hear directors, writers or actors say how they invisioned certain scenes.
                        ...Or talk about the weather
                        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

i do listen to them sometimes , on specific shows just to see there reactions, but on Stargate just the beginning i think it ruins the illusion
                          sigpic
                          May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

I listen to the Audio Commentaries for Season 4 and most of Season 5, but later on as the Seasons go on, I don't listen to ones that Peter Deluise does, I am not interested in the "internal noises of his intestines"

I like the one, can't remember what episode it was, where Peter Deluise, Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie sing the Stargate Song!

Edit: found it, the episode is called "Prodigy" where they sing!
                            Last edited by OneillTwo"LL"s; 04 April 2009, 04:52 PM. Reason: to add edit
                            Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
                            sigpic
                            Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
                              i do listen to them sometimes , on specific shows just to see there reactions, but on Stargate just the beginning i think it ruins the illusion
                              I agree. I don't listen to them, either. And it's pretty interesting that some really "big" eps you'd want to see commentaries on don't have any. I wonder why that is- could it be that TPTB want to leave the audience with a certain impression and don't want any extraneous information presented? Well, if that applies to those eps, it applies to all of them in my book.

Comment

Working...
                              X