Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new as well, but I haven't started any threads. I took the time to read the FAQ before I posted. Surely everyone is bound to make mistakes in the beginning, though.

I've been sort of looking at GateWorld for years, but I used to wait for the DVD boxed sets to come out and watch the episodes all at once, so because I was always a season behind, I was terrified of spoilers. Speaking of which, it seems like even a lot of the people who've been here for a while don't put things in spoiler tags—not that I'm picking on anybody.
    sigpic

Comment

*SPOLIERS FOR S1 ATLANTIS BELOW*

Originally posted by Discotrash View Post
      I'm new as well, but I haven't started any threads. I took the time to read the FAQ before I posted. Surely everyone is bound to make mistakes in the beginning, though.

I've been sort of looking at GateWorld for years, but I used to wait for the DVD boxed sets to come out and watch the episodes all at once, so because I was always a season behind, I was terrified of spoilers. Speaking of which, it seems like even a lot of the people who've been here for a while don't put things in spoiler tags—not that I'm picking on anybody.
      yeah and like they will, i hope you have seen season one, do this.......

and when ford
      Spoiler:
      died
      because of the enzyme, and falling into the water

i mean, come on, they can do better
      Last edited by Anon; 05 December 2008, 02:48 PM. Reason: spolier tag wasent working

sigpic
      Sig made by squirrely1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
      *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

im new here but i have been lurking around for a while aswell,i have made some wuite sucessful threads so far and accidental made a few wich have been used before.but hey i just want an active experince

is this worng to be new here?
        sigpicIts Scary To Think Of A Mix Between These To Isnt It

Comment

Spoilers can be a bit of a difficult one, I mean if the episode has been around for a long time, like say for instance Serpent's Lair in season 2 of SG1, someone who's reading certain parts of this forum may have only just started watching the shows and not know what happens at the end of the episode and just because it's so far back in SG1 history other people automatically think it's fine to post information about that episode anywhere on the forum.
          That may sound a little silly to worry about posting information about that episode, when it's been around for more than 10 years, but it's still spoiling it for people who don't wanna read about it coz they haven't say seen most of season 1, if it's not been posted in the correct folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney dex View Post
            im new here but i have been lurking around for a while aswell,i have made some wuite sucessful threads so far and accidental made a few wich have been used before.but hey i just want an active experince

Like you I'm a fairly new member of Gateworld, but I've only made one thread so far, here's the link if you wanna check it out and add to the comments:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=59831
            It's not been nearly as popular as I'd hoped it would be but never mind.

I think sometimes older members do also forget that old threads eventually die and the new ones can end up going in a completely different direction to the old ones, but the Mods can always merge threads together, so I don't think it's the end of the world if a topic gets duplicated, it's just when it happens all of the time that people will start to get annoyed, but again things can be changed.

The whole thing about making mistakes is that you learn from them and at the end of the day, we're all human, so we're bound to make at least a few.
            I think even the Mods aren't infallible and they're the ones that impose the rules when needed.

To finally answer your question, I would definitely not say it's wrong to be new to Gateworld.

BTW I think the threads you've made, that I've read and posted in have been really good.

Comment

Well, speaking from a new-member point of view here, so far I haven't felt the need to post a topic yet. Though I am sure someday some unquie thought or idea will strike

I found Gateworld basically the day I got addicted to SGA. I was a long time watcher of SG1 and for some sadistic reason refused to even glance in SGA's direction. But boy am I glad I did!
              Lets just say Radek Zelenka can be my Mad Scientist any day!
              sigpic
              Thanks to Humanityspotential for the awesome Zelenka Siggie!

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                Spoilers can be a bit of a difficult one, I mean if the episode has been around for a long time, like say for instance Serpent's Lair in season 2 of SG1, someone who's reading certain parts of this forum may have only just started watching the shows and not know what happens at the end of the episode and just because it's so far back in SG1 history other people automatically think it's fine to post information about that episode anywhere on the forum.
                That may sound a little silly to worry about posting information about that episode, when it's been around for more than 10 years, but it's still spoiling it for people who don't wanna read about it coz they haven't say seen most of season 1, if it's not been posted in the correct folder.
                The rules said to put anything pertaining to the current season in spoiler tags, so that's what I've been doing.

Had I just gotten in to Stargate, I think I would be cognizant of the fact that the sorts of people who post here are likely hardcore fans who've obsessively watched everything. Even though I was always only a season behind, that's why I waited to sign up or read posts. I guess it gets tricky when you're dealing with people from, say, Australia, where episodes air later. Putting spoilers about the current season in tags makes perfect sense to me.
                sigpic

Comment

no, i am just asking if people have noticed that abunch of new members are joining and posting new and interesting threads. THIS IS NOT A DISSING OF NEW MEMBERS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigpic
                  Sig made by squirrely1
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                  *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

BTW I think the threads you've made, that I've read and posted in have been really good.

thank you mate
                    sigpicIts Scary To Think Of A Mix Between These To Isnt It

Comment

Originally posted by Discotrash View Post
                      The rules said to put anything pertaining to the current season in spoiler tags, so that's what I've been doing.

Had I just gotten in to Stargate, I think I would be cognizant of the fact that the sorts of people who post here are likely hardcore fans who've obsessively watched everything. Even though I was always only a season behind, that's why I waited to sign up or read posts. I guess it gets tricky when you're dealing with people from, say, Australia, where episodes air later. Putting spoilers about the current season in tags makes perfect sense to me.
                      New members and everyone here should also be aware of certain folders that relate to particular
                      spoilers a recent example is First Contact and The Lost tribe (SGA season 5) and who was actually in those suits, of course anyone who has watched the episodes will know it's (do not click on the spoiler if you still haven't watched the episodes, or don't want to know the truth)
                      Spoiler:
                      a group of Asgard that split off from the Ida ones to do research into their genetic degradation.

Some thread titles actually warn of a particular spoiler fact like my example above, of which there have been numerous threads since GW members became aware of those two episodes, so to me that's the same as putting a spoiler tag around the whole thread and anyone who views those threads should expect to find more details of who or what is behind the mask (or whatever ).
                      Hopefully you get what I mean.

thank you mate
                      No problem, I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true.

Comment

Some thread titles actually warn of a particular spoiler fact like my example above, of which there have been numerous threads since GW members became aware of those two episodes, so to me that's the same as putting a spoiler tag around the whole thread and anyone who views those threads should expect to find more details of who or what is behind the mask (or whatever ).
                        Hopefully you get what I mean.
                        Exactly. Anyone not wanting to see spoilers from those episodes would know not to read the thread. "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe" are perfect examples of what I was saying before:

Spoiler:
                        I've noticed in a lot of the threads under general discussion that when speculating about the Asgard, people are speaking quite openly about the Pegasus offshoots.

That's the sort of thing I think should be in spoiler tags. Again, I'm not complaining; it's just something I've observed.
                        sigpic

Comment

since we have a welcome thread for New members and this realization could be stated in there in a polite manner we are going to close this thread

Thank You
                          TameFarrar
                          GateWorld Moderator
                          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                          X