No announcement yet.

Chicago Creation 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have done that too (I did on Saturday and Sunday...) on Friday, but Gary specifically said, "Stay in your seats for autographs!" So I did what I was told. I learned my lesson that day.
    I literally ignored him when he said that. We were in Row W. We had a good 300ish people in front of us, so at least 3-600 autos to be signed. we knew it'd be hours. The sad thing was, we just didn't know how many hours. So you couldn't be productive with your time, like go and grab dinner and come back, because unless i had a person sitting in the room monitoring the row, we had no idea how fast it'd really move. So you were stuck at the hotel.

which is fine, part of being at a con. waiting in line isn't an issue, it's part of the 'game' so to speak.

And i understand why he wants people to stay in the room. He wants to avoid the 'you told me i could leave and come back and i did and the actor's already gone, you 'lied' to me and tricked me out of getting my auto' situation. (and yes, it would happen).

Yet, the second time or third we went down and they were on row P or something and we decided to wait, i could feel the frustration building in the rows behind us. Because those people had been sitting there for hours and were afraid they wouldn't get their opportunity.

Maybe, another option is, if you really want people to stay in the auditorium, don't cram the autos in that eentsy tiny little space behind the stage. It was cramped and crowded and just horrible. Have the autos in a nearby or attached room (such as in a hotel, open up a panel of the air wall and have the tables in another part of the room or something like that.

The actors looked uncomfortable crammed back there, with their backs to the wall. They were obviously feeling the time crunch cause it was 'don't look up, just sign' a lot of the time. (they weren't being told to do that,but i got the 'i gotta be somewhere and i have to crank these through' feeling. They were trying to meet all their commitments. It looked uncomfortable for them, i know it was close quarters and uncomfortable for us, holding our items to be signed and trying not to get them crushed or folded in the tight quarters. It just wasn't the best location. In the case of this hotel, two of the doors from the auditorium opened out into the dealer's room, and half of that room was empty, so maybe they could have gotten screens put up to be 'walls', funnel people out a door of hte auditorium, have them get their autos, then file out the other side of the dealer's room.

If you get the auto tables out of the auditorium, then you can entertain people in the auditorium. Play an episode or ten, play a movie, loop the music videos, do something to entertain the masses, encouraging htem to stay in the room while still not just letting them sit there and stew.

Now, on Friday, i was down there, waiting for my friend to get her auto and the employees were very conscientious about asking everyone if they'd gotten theirs and were being very proactive about getting people in line so were nice about that.

As to private functions, cons are always about 'the richest fan/fan with the biggest credit balance matters most'. It's the same with any con. And just something you have to accept. The organizers of any con cater to those with big pocket books and the willingness to open them.

It sucks for most of us that don't have a ton of money or that aren't willing to rack up a few thousand in debt. but that's just how it is. It's how the world is and not much anyone can do about it.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shadadukal View Post
      I'm sure the private functions are fantastic, if you can afford them, and they allow Creation to make a lot of money. But it adds stuff to the guests' schedules and because they aren't going to cut down the time of people who may have paid over $1000 for a private function, the rest of us, i.e. the majority gets shafted.
      In all fairness to the private functions, most were scheduled at times that really didn't conflict with other activities or affect the majority of the fans there.

Conners was Friday night and though it did run over because the hotel hadn't served dinner until the hour was up, the only thing it conflicted with was the Caberet which as much as I wanted to see it, I didn't mind being late to it and it didn't affect the other people.

Michael's lunch, I didn't hear any issues or delays with that.

Rachel's event was held later in the evening on Sunday, so basically it was only Joe's which had the major scheduling conflict. It would have been much better to probably schedule his at the end of the convention rather than in the middle.

As to the actors schedules dictating the departure times I have heard the other side that it is not the actors schedule rather that it is Creation that sets the schedule and plane times. Regardless of which is true, and I am sure there is truth in both sides, just different viewpoints as these are items to be negotiated, this is the third Chicago convention that I have been to and the Sunday autographs are ALWAYS rushed. Given that you would think they would find a different way to negotiate the schedule to improve this situation.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I know amanda was hurrying to get to the dessert party. she was supposed to attend, and i'm sure did, but sat photos/autos ran over so i know she was crunching.

of course, she wasn't the only actor there, so there was probably less pressure in that the event could 'go on' with her being late.

I know there are things going on sun am, breakfasts etc, but i wonder if there'd be less running late at night if some things started a bit earlier in the am.

sigpic

Comment

WOW!
          There has been some discussions happening in here.
          I agree with so many points.

Chicago was my second Creation Con (my second con ever), the first being Vancouver in April, and I will tell you I will NEVER go to another Creation Con, ever.
          I didn't find Chicago any better run than Vancouver, IMO it was worse.
          The best part of the Con was meeting up with friends I made in Vancouver and hanging out with them. I was very disappointed with this Con.

Enough said because I don't want to go on a rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            or limiting the autos. I know they're trying to accommodate as many as possible, but it seemed like the autos on saturday were jsut fantastically oversold, resulting in hours long waits.

Wasn't horrible, wasn't miserable. In fact, since we had daily passes (the ones purchased early so we were in between the golds and preferred folks) we just went up too the room for an hour or two, then checked back in, and did htat a couple of times.

that said, wouldn't it make more sense - to accommodate as many as possible - to limit ALL patrons to no more than 2 autos per person. Then, if they want more, they can wait until the end of the allotted time and purchase them then - if there's still time left. (for example, if time allows for an actor to sign 300 autos and tickets for 250 are sold, then those that want extra can wait and purchase them later in the session)

wouldn't it be better for 90% of those that want autos to get them in a couple of hours than for the fans to have to wait hours and hours and hours and for the actors to be stressed trying to meet other deadlines while fulfilling all their commitments

I also think that there needs to be a better way to communicate what row they're on. we were in the con hotel, so we just went up to our room, came back down every hour or so until it got close. However, each time we had to go into the room and ask someone. It would have been helpful to have a sign/board/etc outside the room saying which row is up for autos.

Or, in this electronic age, twitter it. Or have someone with a laptop posting on whatever forum/message board, etc, what row is up now.

It would, of course, have to be with the understanding that it's 10000% the fan's responsibility to not miss their turn. That the con will make the info available but it's up to the fan to seek out the info.

In addition, i think the con staff needs to wear a shirt/vest/something that says 'i'm an employee'. Until we learned who the employees were, we had no idea who we needed to listen to.
            I think limiting autographs is a good idea. In Vancouver, there was one person in front of us getting 8 autographs from AT. Eight! Now maybe it is because I'm not a big collector of things but one seems enough to me. Two allows you to get an autograph for someone who couldn't attend (that's what I did at AT3 when you were given 2 autographs). Or, as suggested, make those wanting more go to the back of the line but only if it doesn't interfere with the next scheduled event for the guest.

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            I hate the idea of limiting photo ops as people alot of people do travel pretty far to see the guests and also to meet up with friends which many times also includes photo ops with them.

I would rather see them starting the photos and/or autographs earlier in the morning to allow themselves time then to see them limited the photo ops available.

Also, if Creation would get rid of the $7.25 charge per item ordered when you pre-order, alot more people would pre-order the photo ops and then they would have a much better idea of how long it would take.
            true. that does seem to be a blatant 'make money' scheme.

I ordered 2 auto ops and 1 photo op, and i'm supposed to seriously believe that it cost them 20 dollars to process those 3 items (only 2 of which were mailed).

I'd have no issue with a 1 time 7 dollar fee (unless they're shipping stuff, t-shirts, etc) but 20 bucks for a sheet of paper and two tickets?
            I did not preorder my photo op. From what I gathered from reading the con thread the chances of "selling out" were pretty slim.

I understand that maybe a group wants to do a photo but perhaps then people will just have to chose between an individual photo with a guest or a group one. IMO limiting the number of photos and giving people a little more time would make for a better experience. My photo with MS and AT in Vancouver was so rushed as to really not be worth it. I wouldn't bother with a photo op again at Creation unless things change.

Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
            WOW!
            There has been some discussions happening in here.
            I agree with so many points.

Chicago was my second Creation Con (my second con ever), the first being Vancouver in April, and I will tell you I will NEVER go to another Creation Con, ever.
            I didn't find Chicago any better run than Vancouver, IMO it was worse.
            The best part of the Con was meeting up with friends I made in Vancouver and hanging out with them. I was very disappointed with this Con.

Enough said because I don't want to go on a rant.
            Sorry to hear it was worse.

I don't think it is ranting if you are just relating your experience. Besides, it may prompt some changes for the better if the thread is monitored by TPTB. Also, these threads should give folks a realistic picture of the event, good and bad. It is better for those considering their first event to go in with open eyes.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I would say, if folks have suggestions, don't make them here and expect Creation to read them. they have no responsibility to read this thread. e-mail them to creation. that's the only way you can know they'll read your words

Gary has popped up here in the past, but there's no guarantee that he will. So posting here is just talking to other fans

sigpic

Comment

I would say, if folks have suggestions, don't make them here and expect Creation to read them. they have no responsibility to read this thread. e-mail them to creation. that's the only way you can know they'll read your words

Gary has popped up here in the past, but there's no guarantee that he will. So posting here is just talking to other fans
                You're right. I think there is value in posting here for the benefit of other fans but, as we've said before, also send an e-mail to Creation.

Comment

I did not preorder my photo op. From what I gathered from reading the con thread the chances of "selling out" were pretty slim.
                  what i basically paid 8 bucks each for was the privilege to NOT have to spend 3-4 hours sitting on the floor waiting for my turn in line to buy tickets.

Fans are a crafty bunch and willingly accept sitting on the floor for hours to be an exchange for the money saved., especially since, at 8 bucks per item, that lack of pre-ordering can equal another photo/auto

sigpic

Comment

what i basically paid 8 bucks each for was the privilege to NOT have to spend 3-4 hours sitting on the floor waiting for my turn in line to buy tickets.

Fans are a crafty bunch and willingly accept sitting on the floor for hours to be an exchange for the money saved., especially since, at 8 bucks per item, that lack of pre-ordering can equal another photo/auto

I see. I didn't have to wait a long time in Vancouver. I was just buying one photo op. Can't remember when I did it (at pre-registration or later) but there wasn't much of a line up. Guess I lucked out.

Comment

I wouldn't attend another creation convention. It is really a money making organisation and waay overpriced. They really shouldnt sell so many gold tickets. I was in row 10 over at the side and found it difficult to see anything. I waited at least 2 hours for autographs and just about got Joe's on sunday before he walked the line... I gave up waiting for Amanda to get to my table at the cocktail evening as ours was one of the last tables for her to get to... I couldnt stay awake as hadnt had much sleep from all the travelling... I tried the Creation site today to see if I could get my photo op with Joe but still nothing...

I spent a lot of money coming from the UK and wish the organizers could have least scheduled the actors flights a little later on the sunday... having the autograph signing at 5pm and expecting the actor to make a 7pm flight seemed rather ludicrous.

But I had been warned about how creation operates but I was still a bit peeved, especially after Bedford that a gold ticket didnt really account for much.. can't believe the photo ops werent included in the price either..

But overall I still had a blast due to the great bunch of folks I met up with.... but I don't think I will be attending creation cons again..
                      sigpic

Comment

I know amanda was hurrying to get to the dessert party. she was supposed to attend, and i'm sure did, but sat photos/autos ran over so i know she was crunching.

of course, she wasn't the only actor there, so there was probably less pressure in that the event could 'go on' with her being late.

I know there are things going on sun am, breakfasts etc, but i wonder if there'd be less running late at night if some things started a bit earlier in the am.
                        Amanda made it to the dessert party. It wouldn't start without her. I don't know if it started late as I didn't check my watch but since there were no scheduled activities after this then it wasn't a big deal for us to go late unless you were really tired. I know the dessert party did go late as at some tables Amanda talked more than at other tables. She didn't always listen to the two minutes clock watcher.

The breakfast did start earlier this year than last but they waited way too long before bringing the guests out.

Originally posted by Skydiver

I've already done that with both some very positive things I saw and a few suggestions. Even then, they have no obligation to listen. For the most part though I thought the con went rather well for this style of convention. I didn't feel rushed through any of my photo ops and I was near the end of the line on most of them and I only felt rushed with Paul and Joe's autographs at the end which was a big bummer! And I was really disappointed that Joe's talk was cut short as it was rally interesting to listen to what he had to say.
                        Last edited by Rosehawk; 07 September 2009, 12:10 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Overall I had way more fun than the first Con I went to, maybe that's because I was old enough to go to the bar the only thing I didn't like was how rushed they were at the end (although I was expecting that), that they had to cut Joe's talk shory because it was interesting to hear him talk about different stuff, that the line for the photos was so long and we have to wait forever to get the pictures and I also won a con banner (the one by where Rachel was doing her signings) and I didn't want to wait for them to tear it down and such so I gave them my address and they said they'd send it to me....well I'm still waiting. I'm going to send an email to Gary later on asking him if he can find out where it is.

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

we didn't do anything on sunday. We needed to get the kid home for school, so the only waiting around we did was haunting hte photo room until they got someone to open it a little after 9 so we could get our photos.

I know i woujldn't call myself a morning person but things did seem to start really late in the day. LIke 10am or noonish, it felt like half the day was over before you even got anywhere...and then it lasted half the night. and then when things run so late i couldn't help but think 'man, if we could have just had some of those morning hours back maybe things wouldn't be so behind.

Guess i'm a frump, but i kinda like it when, by 7 or so, things are done and over and y ou can go out with your friends and have some time...rather than still be sitting waiting for autos or photos until 11pm or however late it lasted.

sigpic

Comment

Guess i'm a frump, but i kinda like it when, by 7 or so, things are done and over and y ou can go out with your friends and have some time...rather than still be sitting waiting for autos or photos until 11pm or however late it lasted.
                              Photo and jpg pick-up went until after 2:30 in the morning.
                              sigpic

Comment

the best advice i could give is that if you guys dont like creation events then dont go. i've been going there for 5 year snow and i never had a problem with them. there were some ppl there that were switching seats when a certain celebrity comes on, not suppose to do that either. also some were videotapping, absolutely no videotapping is allowed. i try to follow the rules that creation lays out when you order tickets. thats why i always go in gold coz they take you row by row. anyhoo just my opinion. james from chicago.

Comment

Working...
                                X