No announcement yet.

Stargate online game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW..... this.... sounds...... AWESOME! You'd better do it, 'cause I wanna play!! Hmmm, well, disgreguarding the Harry Potter part, a HP fan-site is doing something similar. The addy is here. You might want to ask for tips and the engine that they use.

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
    "Be nice to nerds;
    one day, you'll end up working for one."
    -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
    Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
    Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Brilliant idea. I would help, but I cannot program anything except VB and Im not brilliant at that but if you tell me where I can find tutorials for the languages you want to use, then I'd help yeah. And Id definately play, youv'e got good ideas behind it

Comment

Wow what a coincidence. I was wondering the same thing. Currently
        sketching out details of the game. Basically I have the same idea as
        you, but difference being the game will be all-goauld (i.e. many system
        lordds). I think it would be weird if we have many tauri each with different
        planets, etc.

Also, I dont think we should be bogged down with chevrons/gate
        addresses. Just have stargates as means of transport (though tablets of
        gate addresses is a great idea).This is after all a strategic level game and
        Apophis doesn't have to remember gate addresses. As mentioned before
        game should be in PHP/MySQL.

-Sekinoss
        Last edited by sekinoss; 23 November 2004, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I'm working on it, trying to make a mainframe and such, but midterms are coming and that means thousands of pages to learn and less time to work on this ofcourse
          Anyway, how I saw it, is that everybody could play as a Goa'uld, human or other lifeform (maybe even fictional), and that Earth would somewhat be the center of it all, a moderator/administrator planet ... not to be selfish, but to resolve that issue.
          Personally, I think exploring and problem solving would be more unique of a game, than command and conquer the Goa'uld

Comment

Ok now you've lost me. So you're making a politic driven stargate
            game, with Earth as the center? Can you describe the gameplay
            idea a bit more?

-Sekinoss

Comment

Originally posted by sekinoss
              Ok now you've lost me. So you're making a politic driven stargate
              game, with Earth as the center? Can you describe the gameplay
              idea a bit more?

-Sekinoss
              Sure.
              First, the game will be in rounds of aproximately 4 to 6 months. Every player will control a Goa'uld, human or other society except the Ancient and the Asgard. Those races will be available to the better players of the round before as a reward and they'll have their little tasks to do.
              The goal is to explore the galaxy and to conquer it if you're Goa'uld, or to get rid of all the Goa'uld and free yourself (or perhaps conquer it yourself ?) if you're a human race or something else.
              Each race will have specific goals to achieve, and the first goal is defense and exploration. The others depend on what race you are.
              Earth and the SGC will function as a center, a well defended center with the ancient superweapon as a main defense available ofcourse. If any help is needed, you can contact the SGC, from the skies or through the gate.
              It's merely a place where if assistance is required to survive, it might be granted ... sometimes as a tribute, sometimes as a trade deal for technology, but Earth will never make the wrong choice. Evil players are far less likely to be helped than players who've proven themselves to be worthy of an ally.
              Pretty much like in real SG, and there you'll have to trust the admins who control Earth, but yet again, everywhere you'll need the admins to trust and which admin would screw up his own game ?

When does the game end ? When the galaxy is controlled by a single player. An evil player (usually goa'uld) might try to take Earth out as they're willing to help humans easier than goa'uld. The goa'uld have a technological and tactical advantage over humans, but humans have an advantage in reaching the Asgard or Earth for assistance. When Earth is taken out, that goa'uld is in a great position over others, but if the assault fails they'll lose a lot and they'll be known by Earth.

What if you're eliminated before the end of the game ? You won't have to wait months to play again, but restart as a rebel Jaffa and your new goal will be to free the Jaffa en defeat the Goa'uld.
              The advantages and disadvantages of each race will be balanced.

Do you understand where I'm going with this ?

Comment

Ok I understand the objective. Whats still unclear to me is the
                gameplay involved. You mentioned exploration and defense being
                as goal, so this game will have colony building, armies and
                fleets? Or will the game be more abstracted, ie. politics, alliances,
                trade between race. How do you "annihilate" the enemy?

Comment

i already play a stargate game lke the one your on about describing and its really gd
                  http://www.stargatewars.com/recruit....d=ot1123093193
                  thts the website so if u wantcheck it out sometime, you can pik one of four races and make war with other people as well as joining alliances and making weapons and upgraading planetary defences worth cheking out people

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
                    I'm wondering if anyone is interested in playing a Stargate text-based online ?
                    I've been wondering about making a real world politics game online, but recently I think a Stargate game would attract more reliable players as most players are into the concept itself instead of bombing the **** out of everyone and destroying all built-in diplomatic models.

What idea do I have ?
                    Every player own it's own planet in a galaxy with it's own coördinates and starts with the choice between various races (human, humanlike races, asgard, goa'uld and some more new ones) and various technologies. They also start out with 3 other gate coördinates and can explore the universe to other planets with various life forms and conditions.
                    Some worlds will posess secret without inhabited life forms, and those secrets might be technologies, gate coördinates tablets or hostile activities.

The goal of the game is to maintain diplomatic relations, grow stronger, maybe even conquer some worlds and set off-world bases to create a real Stargate feel to the game.
                    No forum will be installed, you'll only be able to contact the people of the planets you know by PM, and every world has it's message board where discussions and negotiations can take place.

Ofcourse, this is only an idea so far, but before I start building the basics (set up the database for many world with different coördinates and conditions, add new races and languages) I'll have to know if people over here would be interested in seeing such a game. Also, if someone knows quite a bit about PHP, pixelart (visuals for races, gods and icons), MySQL or so and would be interested to set something up, I'd like to know. It's a bit too much to do by myself perhaps, and I think it would really be worth it
                    It sounds like a good idea. I think it would be fun
                    Who ever has a snake in there head raise there hand.

Comment

I am with you i would love something like that and id help i have been desining a gme like that for years but dont have the necassary programs but i will help you as much as possible.
                      Yours Deaka

Comment

There's an online mostly text-based (and free) stargate game out there, been there for a few years now - it's called Stargate Wars. http://www.stargatewars.com. Think maybe this is what they developed? Way to dredge up a REALLY old thread, mate.
                        Last edited by Jersey13; 18 September 2008, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey13 View Post
                          There's an online mostly text-based (and free) stargate game out there, been there for a few years now - it's called Stargate Wars. http://www.stargatewars.com. Think maybe this is what they developed? Way to dredge up a REALLY old thread, mate.
                          I stumbled accross this thread, and the day before I found this http://www.stargate-origin.com/home

Was that created by the creator of this thread? Seems similar, and it's in Beta. Looks good so far though.

Comment

sounds like a great idea if u make it i will play it!!!! good idea
                            sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

to be truthful, that's sounds like a great idea, save for one small problem with the asgard. how do you overcome their genetic weakness? they are too fragile to possibly fight, or, on that hand, to survive repeated gate trave, which is why they probably avoid it; but anyway, how would you do it? A gene manipulator? just a thought.

Comment

Sounds like a good game! i would play it!

Originally posted by thor rocks View Post
                                to be truthful, that's sounds like a great idea, save for one small problem with the asgard. how do you overcome their genetic weakness? they are too fragile to possibly fight, or, on that hand, to survive repeated gate trave, which is why they probably avoid it; but anyway, how would you do it? A gene manipulator? just a thought.
                                They are weak but have better technology, I guess every race should have its pros and cons!
                                Last edited by nmmb; 12 July 2009, 12:13 PM.
                                My blog:Nuno Barreto's Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X