X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Diego COMIC CON - July 23-26, 2009

Official URL:

http://www.comic-con.org/

I suppose Stargate Atlantis, etc. appearances will depend upon a renewal of season 6...

By the way, can't find anything on the site where one can buy tickets for '09, or am I just missing it?

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Official URL:

http://www.comic-con.org/

I suppose Stargate Atlantis, etc. appearances will depend upon a renewal of season 6...

By the way, can't find anything on the site where one can buy tickets for '09, or am I just missing it?
    Registration for '09 is not yet available on the website; it's usually not up until after August. However, attendees at this year's con (as well as in previous years) were able to pre-register for the next year at a discounted rate.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Registration for '09 is not yet available on the website; it's usually not up until after August. However, attendees at this year's con (as well as in previous years) were able to pre-register for the next year at a discounted rate.
      thanks! what do you think the rate for the con will be next year?

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        thanks! what do you think the rate for the con will be next year?
        They've already announced the rates for 4-day passes; $75 general, $35 for juniors (age 12-16) and seniors (65 and over). We won't know about the rates for 1-day passes until they open that up next spring.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

A quick update on membership pricing:

The Fall 2008 Comic-Con magazine/newsletter (mailed out to members) has listed the prices for single-day memberships. The website has not yet been updated with this information, but it probably will be soon.

Thursday, July 23: Adults - $25, Juniors/Seniors - $12
          Friday, July 24: Adults - $30, Juniors/Seniors - $15
          Saturday, July 25: Adults - $35, Juniors/Seniors - $15
          Sunday, July 26: Adults - $20, Juniors/Seniors - $10

Hope that helps anyone who's trying to figure budgets for a visit.

Comment

Another update:

One-day memberships are finally available for sale through the Comic-Con website; prices are as detailed in my previous post.

Also, there is now a little bit of information on hotel rooms; the Travel and Housing Desk will be opening up hotel reservations on Thursday, March 19, at 9am Pacific Time. Currently, there is no list of hotels that will have room blocks for the convention, and there is a note on the website saying that Comic-Con did not get enough rooms from the hotels to meet the expected demand.

Comment

I am considering attending ComiCon this summer - it would be my first trip to ComiCon, but definately not my first scifi convention. How does it compare to others? Just curious - would love to hear stories from past attendees before I make the big leap!

Comment

Originally posted by debskec View Post
                I am considering attending ComiCon this summer - it would be my first trip to ComiCon, but definately not my first scifi convention. How does it compare to others? Just curious - would love to hear stories from past attendees before I make the big leap!
                It is HUGE! The most massive event I've ever been to. The convention center is just packed with people. And there are amazing displays everywhere. Most venues hand out novelties as marketing tools for their latest movie, tv series comic book, or what ever. So there are lots of cool collectibles you can get for nothing. Just about everyone who is anyone in Sci-fi, comics, etc. is there. And the panels that are put on to do Q&A's are amazing as well. Fans also walk around in costume, and some costumes are simply amazing.

However, because there are lots of people, there are lineups for everything, even the bathrooms. You will do a lot of walking and standing, and if it's hot, which it often is, the line-ups outside can be brutal. There are places to buy food, although they can be pricey. And hotels get sold out for miles around, so get your room early. However, it was definitily an experience I really enjoyed. I'd do it again in a minute.
                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

And when Arctic Goddess says HUGE, she means HUGE!

Just as an example, over 125,000 people attended over the four days in 2007. In 2008, they sold out all four days in advance for the first time ever. I can't find attendance numbers for 2008, but they apparently broke the 2007 record.

So yes, be prepared for crowds and walking around a lot. Bring comfy shoes, drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated, and, of course, have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the insights - much appreciated!

Comment

The website's been updated again; they now have those amusing little progress bars showing availability of specific membership dates.

4-Day passes are now 80% sold. And the convention is still about 5 months away.
                      Thursday is at 2%, Friday at 3%, Saturday is 14%, and Sunday is 2%.

Still no info on what hotels will have rooms for the convention.

Comment

Don't go through the company the convention uses for booking rooms, you'll only come out of it frustrated. Book them on your own. They sell out same day registration opens.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by debskec View Post
                          I've been going for 13 years and its just gotten bigger every year. It's actually TOO big now. There are too many people, too many lines and a lot of fustration. So bring your patience, walking shoes and water and be prepared to walk a lot

There are a LOT of food places around the convention center so I wouldn't eat IN it, if you can avoid it.

Horton Plaza is a big mall a few blocks away and its got shopping, theaters and all kinds of food. Always go there. And there is a grocery store on the way up to the mall as well.

It IS a great, fun time, but definitely be prepared.

I got frustrated with a lot of it last year and just decided to work at my company's booth, rather than try and maneuver around the crowds.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Another update on membership availability:

4-day passes are now SOLD OUT. And it's only March. Last year, 4-day passes didn't sell out until June.

As for the 1-day passes, Thursday (July 23) is at 4%, Friday (July 24) is 7%, Saturday (July 25) is 23%, and Sunday (July 26) is at 4%.

Comment

If I went I would have to be there for Sat and Sun. Wow...early sell-out of the 4-day tickets. There must be people staying in town for more than four days. It's early yet to mention anything about SGU, so don't know if there will be a panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X