Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just recently found the site and the podcast, and I have to say I really enjoy both. I have finally managed to listen to all the back episodes, and now I'm fully caught up. I do miss the Stargate news section, not so much the site features. What I really liked and, I believe you only did in the first couple of episodes, was stump the geek where Darren asked David "hard" trivia questions. I liked to play along with him and try to answer it my head b4 he answered.

Keep up the great work, I hope to listen to this podcast more.
    "Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties.
    Three fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!."

Comment

Wow. I think you could use a couple of those podcasts as devices of torture. Good on you for braving all 78!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        Wow. I think you could use a couple of those podcasts as devices of torture. Good on you for braving all 78!
        ouch which ones didn't you like??
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by ukray View Post
          Sorry but you don't really have a conversation with callers, it's more like you've received a message.
          As much a fan of David and Darren as I am, I must admit that they are from the message school of playing voice mail messages. The people who really know how to have a conversation with voice mail messages are the Slice of SciFi people at FarPoint Media.

Comment

Good Job on S2 of SGA!!

Well done guys.

@Jeff: It's addictive isn't it??? Been trying to cut down myself!!!

But on that note, I hope to have a coherent thought on BSG vs SG ready for broadcast.

Best to all

S'n'T
            "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
            Sara O' Neill's father;
            COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

The idea to bring two women on the podcast and let them do the talking is just great!! I'm so glad you guys decided to go for it!! I think we all can only benefit from it, a different perspective is always refreshing. I can't wait!!
              sigpic

Comment

Hi All

Snuck in a voice mail late last night...hope it makes the podcast.

Best to all

S'n'T
                Sara O' Neill's father;
                COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Quick!! Here comes Darren to say the podcast is available...Everyone...shhh...hide!!

S'n'T
                  Sara O' Neill's father;
                  COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Funny guy!

Jeff, I apologize that only one of your voicemails is in the version currently online. It was an oversight -- we're going to make sure at least a chunk of your BSG comments are added in, and we'll re-upload the file.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Episode #79 is now available!

This week on the podcast we’re pitting our beloved Stargate against one of our other favorite shows (now becoming a franchise in its own right), Battlestar Galactica! Its the second in our occasional “Versus” podcasts, following last year’s show on Stargate vs. Star Trek. We’ll discuss the very different tones of the shows, their approach to storytelling and long-term arcs, and how viewers become invested in those stories.

We’ll also talk about Stargate Universe as a bit of a departure from the typical Stargate storytelling, closer instead to the dark, dramatic approach of BSG. And of course, we’ll hear what you have to say about these two venerable sci-fi franchises!

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...tar-galactica/
                      Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-02-24.mp3
                      Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: What do you think of the Stargate franchise’s portrayal of women? Which character has been a strong representation of women, and which (if any) has come up short?

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: 951-262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing to this week's show!

Comment

Problem not, Darren. I'll eventually get a full word in one way or the other; doesn't bother me much. I'm just having fun doing this!

Starting to listen as of right... now.
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

1.) Darren, you were correct. 1978. No crucifixion required. That said, however...

2.) David, I agree. The original BSG was... ugh. I can't take it either, man. Not at all.

3.) Don't remind me, guys! That magic combination... SG-1; Atlantis; BSG. I absolutely loved those nights. I'd give many things for those days to return! And David, I had an ass-backwards entrance as well. I thought BSG's marketing for its miniseries -- nothing but Tricia Helfer in a dress -- just looked kinda... eh. Then I watched '33' and 'Water' and they re-aired the miniseries right around then, and I loved it.

4.) I didn't mind Cavil's ending, Darren. Somehow I found it fitting. I do concur that the 'light aliens' idea was somewhere we were headed, but I'm squarely in the camp of viewers who believe BSG's finale was pretty good. Not stellar... but pretty good. I looked at your rating on the three-parter. I agree with the two stars for 'Part 1', but I thought 2 and 3 combined were three-and-a-half, not just two. (Fun (not really) fact: I never looked at your ratings for 4.5 'til just now.)

5.) Indeed, these shows are not cut from the same cloth. It's similarities; nothing more than that. It's quite possible that the network has stated that they want a 'BSG space opera successor', but SGU really doesn't strike me as that so much as its own entity with similarities.

6.) I loved BSG. Thusfar, I'm liking SGU overall. There's more of the things BSG had that I didn't like, but the switch to long-term, arc-based fun tied in with the long, long-standing mythos was awesome.

7.) AAH, I'M HEARING MYSELF ON THE INTERNET! Haha, I was still climbing out of a bad cold. I sounded like I was attacking you when I proclaimed that I 'vehemently disagreed with you'. Nothing intended!

8.) Good listener question. I may indeed leap into the fray... I have the podcast's number in my phone book now, so perhaps I'm trapped now.
                          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Nicely done Jeff! Great to hear you on the podcast. Well articulated views and wonderful insight. Well done! Puts the rest of us under pressure!!!

Also Jess...nicely done. Agree 100%.

Sadly my voicemail arrived too late...suffice it to say it echoed a lot of the discussion...even down to apples and oranges....Great minds and all that!!

Next week will be a treat!

S'n'T
                            Sara O' Neill's father;
                            COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, SnT. I tried! I look forward to hearing from you again, of course.

Comment

Sorry, Paul! I'll poke David with a sharp stick next time. He was slammed this week.

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                                1.) Darren, you were correct. 1978. No crucifixion required. That said, however...
                                Only because David thoughtfully edited out my first guess of 1979.

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                                8.) Good listener question. I may indeed leap into the fray... I have the podcast's number in my phone book now, so perhaps I'm trapped now.
                                Cool -- hope to hear more from you.

Comment

Working...
                                X