Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up on Next Generation. It was one of the only shows the whole family actually watched.

I never thought Stargate was a copy, or new verison of Star Trek, although, they did share the main theme of friendship and discovery. And that is what I think it the greatest thing about both shows. It is these themes and bring the whole story together, and made it worth watching every week. In many ways, they both started out the same as well. Discovering a new species on every planet, having to deal with and solve a problem every 43 minutes.

But soon...as both Stargate and all Star Trek series moved on, they became less focused on stand alone episodes, and more reliant on long story arcs...especially with the introduction of major bad guys like Michael in Atlantis, and many of the major Romulans in Trek.

Also, what kept me watching both Gate and Trek...was just the possiblities. The more real the characters are, the more possible everything seems. Even more my age, I still have an overactive imagination. And really, there is nothing cooler, than wondering if one day, people just like me would be doing that...traveling to other planets, protecting the galaxy.

As for the first five...Star Trek moments.

Throughout Atlantis epi "Sancutary"...there are so many moments when Mckay refers to John as Kirk.

Also in the first season of Atlantis...now, I can't remember exactly with episode its in that Carson freaks out about going into space just like Bones always did in Trek. Now, if you guys can remember which epi it is...GREAT...I remember seriously laughing at that one.
    Far from home
    A man searches for hope.
    Far from home, he finds it.

Comment

thank you for the podcasts

as for trek VS. gate

trek wins it has always been a wonderful and limitless storytelling concept. and has found great ways to interconnect all the series and keep the countinty solid.

Comment

Hey Darren and David,

Just finished listening to the 'Just war' podcast. Just brilliant it was a great listen, it made me think a lot and not just about SG but also the things going on in the real world.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Hi guys! This is my first post; I just signed up because I heard you were going to do a stargate vs. star trek podcast and had to comment. I have a few serious comments and a few questions too.

For me I think I have been a moderate fan of Star Trek so long that it has sort of become a part of my subconscious. It's because of all the physics and time-travel episodes that I ever started reading up on astronomy, and the great engineer characters like Geordi , Scotty, and Trip are still inspiring to me as I study engineering. Star Trek overall has had a lot of great characters that I could personally relate to at one time or another.

Stargate is a much more recent thing for me to enjoy. I don't see it as a question of which is better, because at least on the surface they have very different stories to tell. I got started on Stargate about a year ago and have been working my way through SG-1 episodes ever since. Thanks for the history podcasts by the way; I love hearing what other people think are good or bad episodes!

Being a female headed toward working in a pretty male-dominated field, I really appreciate Sam's character. I think her presence on the team is very important.

I have a few questions I would love to hear comments on:
          1. Do the Asgard have an equivalent to the Prime Directive? They and the Tok'ra both seem to be much more forthcoming with technology than, say, Captain Picard would be. The Tollan seem to embody that attitude a little more. Also contrast with early Earth-Vulcan relations as seen on Enterprise.

2. The idea that warp/hyperspace travel has to be developed from alien technology in the Stargate Universe, whereas in Star Trek, a human on Earth was able to invent it (I think).

3. I think you could just about do a show on "Holodecks: Storytelling Device or Crutch?"

Comment

Episode #46 is now available!

Dial the gate and engage at Warp 9! Wait, what? Yes, in this episode of the podcast David and Darren put our two favorite science fiction series up against each other to see how they compare. What do Stargate and Star Trek have in common, and how are they different? What does Stargate owe to what Trek did for sci-fi television? And is Stargate still "sci-fi's biggest hit," as TV Guide declared in 2003?

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest news from the world of Stargate

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! Hear a preview of our interview with actor Kirby Morrow, who plays Daedalus officer Dave Kleinman.

Listener Feedback!

Next Week's Listener Question: What is your favorite episode from the fifth season of Stargate SG-1, and why do you love it?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing to the podcast!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I thought the discussion on Star Trek was a bit lacking. Alot of the points you made about the Utopian Universe in ST are baseless when considering Deep Space 9, which was not even mentioned.

Comment

Hey guys
                Season 5 is a blast with the show finishing on SHOWTIME and headed to sci-fi they had a lot of episodes that payed off previous one.
                The death of The Snake, a horny ancient, a dieing sun, freeky mind powers, and even the rising of the dead, defeat of the asgard, and the passing of a hero.

I think the best thing about this series is that it puts the show back on its head and gives it a new bad guy for another 3 seasons. With the return of Anubis, the asgad, the tollan, and even the system lords themselves all get there butts kicked. Leaving us with no one to hold onto. Once again we are out in the dry to an extent that wont be seen until S9.

And woh can forget the episode we all want to forget... Wormhole X-treme...
                I think thats one of those eps that looking back on u think to urself "What were they thinking?"

But overall id give S5 a 8, S4 a 10, S3 a 7, S2 a 5, S1 a 5....

Hit misses and everything inbetween S5 has it all

On a side note, all those interested in a Sci-Fi showdown between Star Wars, Stargate, Star Trek and BSG im working on a mod for a game called Star wars empire at war where they kick the crap outa each other, its still early days but if ur interested in helping me go to moddb and look me up under the same username, trust me its a blast lol

Anyway guys have fun
                C u next time

Comment

LISTENER QUESTION:

My favorite episode of season 5 is "Enemies." Although this season had many stellar episodes, none of them stand out in my mind like "Enemies." To follow up "Exodus," a cliffhanger that still gives me goosebumps, was an enormous challenge and "Enemies" delivered. It contains Stargate's trademark humor, as well as some of the best action and effects sequences in the series, such as the team narrowly escaping a horde of replicators as the camera follows them through the ring transport. In addition, the episode features some extremely poignant interaction between the team as they deal with Teal'c's apparent death and his subsequent resurrection and brainwashed betrayal. This episode began the season with some big questions as to the future of the series, particularly with regards to Teal'c and indeed Apophis, as his death left us without a primary antagonist. While other episodes have made me question the series' direction, none before or since have made me so excited about what was to come.
                  Last edited by memnarch; 11 June 2009, 05:18 PM.
                  Spoiler:
                  Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Hey guys there is an error in the RSS feed page It goes from the itunes summary for Eps 46 to what looks to be the itunes keywords for Eps 29 and everything in between is missing.

For us that can't stand IPods, this is a problem. Below is the code from line 38.

<itunes:summary>Dial the gate and engage at Warp 9! Wait, what? Yes, in this episode of the podcast David and Darren put our two favorite science fiction series up against each other to see how they compare. What do Stargate and Star Trek have in common, and how are they different? What does Stargate owe to what Trek did for sci-fi television? And is Stargate still "sci-fi's biggest hit," as TV Guide declared in 2003? First up, we'll talk about the last week's worth of news from the world of Stargate, and whatdcast, gateworld, gate, episodes, reviews</itunes:keywords>

Comment

Season 5 was not as good as the previous two seasons, but certainly one of the best.

They showed a lot of things I've always wanted to know, like how they train new recruits in Proving Ground or the Aschen storyline in 2001.

The best episodes for me are Summit and Last Stand, though closely followed by Desperate Measures and Fail Safe (I'm confident!). Not only does Lantash, the last link to Jolinar, die, but we also see Sarah again, Anubis gets revealed and we get to know more about the System Lords, who I think are the best villains in SG-1. These episodes have it all: action, sacrifice, new twists on the storylines and emotional upheaval.

All things considered, it is a good season with some exceptional episodes.

My question for you is this: Which villains do you like best? I always thought that the System Lords with all their little quirks and different personalities were a lot more interesting than the Ori, for example. And do you think the Aschen Confederation would have made a good main enemy?

Comment

Flooder, thanks for the tip. I think I found the problem -- please check the feed again!

Comment

Since the 50th Podcast topic is still undetermined, although the idea is to bring Tame on board (IIRC, think I heard that a Podcast or two ago), I have an interesting suggestion that can make this 50th podcast be something special. Make it an Open Line Night, but with a format that is less structured, but ONLY because of what I'm about to suggest.

There is an online service called "TalkShoe", that maybe some people have heard of, that can be used to broadcast interactive discussions, conversations, audioblogs and podcasts. There is the ability for connecting to the service through phone or VoiP (like Skype), and a text-based client for listeners to give their opinions in a special chat room service. Of course the host of the community call, as they call it, can mute anyone they want, but with the GateWorld podcast, it can bring a new functionality.

For a 50th podcast, this could be used to get some of the "regular" contributors to the feedback, like Mac Jackson, ShirtnTie into the conversation, for a Gateworld Podcast Party of sorts. Plus if Tame is around fun times would be had anyways.

It's a big change in how you run the podcast format I know, but there are 3 podcasts till the big Five-Oh, so plenty of time to figure out if this could be something to do for it.

TalkShoe Homepage
                          The website has plenty of demo video's that explain all the major features. Take a look, and give it some thought.

(If my posting the link to their website breaks the off-site website linking rule, I'm sorry.)

Comment

KN, this is very helpful, thanks! We will look it over.

We've decided to do the 50th as an informal "50th Episode Bash," and bring on a variety of guests. Not sure if we'll want to do it as a "live" show like this, but we'll chat about the options.

Comment

Listener Question:
                              Since I've always said I can never pick a favorite episode of the first 7 seasons I will give a an observation: Season Five of SG-1 seemed to wonderfully "go back to well" more than any previous season. They made brave choices to finally kill Apophis and to wipe out the Tolan as well as loose Daniel they way they did. They also brilliantly brought back the Aschen in 2001 and the Unas in creative ways. Another wonderful season with shocking twists.
                              Mac Jackson
                              Singer/Songwriter of
                              "Harmony Constant"
                              [email protected]
                              myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                              youtube.com/MacWJack
                              Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

The ST vs. SG epi was great. I am very excited about SGU and what kind of oppertunities it will give the series. And I totally agree with you guys that SG1 and SGA have seriously been overlooked by the critics...I mean, even the most out there scifi series, Farscape, is critically acclaimed. And I am hoping the same thing, that as time goes on, they will finally start noticing it for its quality.

And...I think at Stargate vs. BSG episode would be fantastic. Where SG and ST can be easily compared with the type of scifi it is, I think this discussion will be much more interesting in what everyone has to say. I have actually been rewatching the entire series on DVD this last week...i'm almost done with Season 3 now...I would have alot of things to comment about for that episode.

As for this weeks LISTENER QUESTION:

That is an easy pick for me, even though over all, the 5th season has plenty of great episodes. But Wormhole X-Treme is one of my all time favorite SG1 episodes.

Not only one of the most hilarious episodes...it marks a great achievement for science fiction...not many shows get to epi 100, and even fewer scifi shows do...and of course, the story is just, ingenious. Come on, what is greater than a show making fun of it's concept, by having a previous guest character create a ridiculous version of it for television, and so terribly, that no one is worried the world will think this is possbile???...maybe the only thing better is episode 200...which was even better because of all the nods to EVERYTHING scifi... LOL.
                                Far from home
                                A man searches for hope.
                                Far from home, he finds it.

Comment

Working...
                                X