Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite episode of season four was definitely Window of Opportunity. It's just so Stargate! I love how Jack and Teal'c are the only two who remember what is happening, and they're usually the "shoot first send flowers later" (Jack ) type who aren't used to solving problems. It just works so well! It's probably one of my favourite episodes of Stargate EVER!

G.

Comment

Totally LOVED Star Trek. I grew up on Star Trek, and from the moment I heard they were going to revamp the series by doing the young crew, I was completely stoked, especially after hearing Orci and Kurtzman wrote it, and Abrams was going to direct. And then, got totally impatient with having to wait so long to see it after I heard Zach Quinto would be playing Spock, because I'm a huge Heroes fan...anyway....

I have now seen it 5 times...yeah I know...and still, have yet to find any thing wrong with it. Not one little thing. I totally agree with you guys, it was the music that caught me, right from the beginning. It was just absolutely gorgeous....and how much it emotionally escalated the birth scene. God, it was beautiful. And it was right away that I knew Abrams was the right hands to trust with movie with, and I was willing to go wherever this movie was going to take me.

And I totally agree with the idea of the universe course correcting. I was having a conversation with some of my writing friends about it, and I'm just not sure they were Trekker enough, or as much as me anyway...to catch all those things..
      Spoiler:
      Kirk taking the KM test, (and eating the apple, I'm so glad someone else caught that),Spock enlisting into Starfleet instead of the Science Academy, Kirk becoming Captain, Pike in the wheelchair....all the things that have to happen as you guys said, for the Trek Universe to move forward, even though it's an alternate reality...that's why I completely bought Spock being in that cave, even though many of my friends did not.
      And I agree again, that it happened too many times for it to be an accident.

I am actually going to meet Orci and Kurtzman this week at a WGA discussion in LA, and that's what I'm going to ask them about if I get a chance. So I'll get back to you guys on what they say.

Anyway...I'm just so amazingly happy to be completely obsessed with Star Trek again.

Chris Pine and Zach Quinto were amazing. And I love the differences that we see in their verisons of the characters,
      Spoiler:
      and the fact that because of the new timeline, there is an excuse for them to be different. Everything about this story was just so freaking perfect. The loss of his father gaave Kirk alot more characteristics that we never would have seen before. And Spock, losing his mother, and losing Vulcan (OMG, I was completely devestated when I saw it the first time)...gives him a reason to rely on Uhura as a comfort zone, his attachment to being human, that he always had in his mother, but now has in Uhura. (and I love that we find out her first name, for sure, finally).
      Just everything about this story line makes sense in every possible point of view and direction that you examine it.

The point that I was completely sold, that I knew this movie was going to kick ass, and that Star Trek was back...maybe a wierd moment compared to what others thought it would be...but when
      Spoiler:
      Pike meets Jim in the bar, and the conversation they have about enlisting. His DARE. God, that was a great line, one of my favorite in the movie. "I dare you to do better." Definitly the thing you want to say to Jim if you're looking for him to step up.

Anyway, I could go on and on for hours about this movie, and everything that is perfect about it. So I'll spare you guys the rest....
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 May 2009, 01:59 AM. Reason: inserted spoiler tags .:)
      Far from home
      A man searches for hope.
      Far from home, he finds it.

Comment

I felt you guys have missed a lot in the Season reviews. I just listened to March 31st podcast.

Teal'c as a character has been more than a blank face. Yes he is a man of few worlds. But he is a man of deep passion. Passion of courage and emotion.

Season 1 had episodes that expanded on all the characters and some that focused primarily on one character's background. We see Sam's ex-boyfriend, Daniel's connection with Catherine, Daniel's parents dying, Jack's ties to his former family, Teal'cs (Teal'c's?) commitment for consequences of his actions as a servant of Apophis.

For a show that's not character-based, it does a fair share of character moments. Also, during Season One's Singularity Teal'c is the one that gets Cassandra out of hiding. He smiles, he comforts her, he's not awkward with children, he's social.

I really think, you guys need another perspective when you go over episodes cause i feel you do miss things.

About the Battlestar Galactica, about Hera being Eve. I see it more than what you may think. She's part Cylon & Human. There are both some Cylons and Humans settling on the planet. So it makes sense that scientists would see her sharing similar DNA to the descendents.

Comment

Hey all

Loved the Star Trek Mini-cast...V cool. I , also, was a Next Gen addict. (I even still drink Earl Grey Tea...and while at College we nicknamed one of the groundskeepers: Boothby) *wipes away a tear of remembrance*...Anyway, nice analysis. I feel I should go see it again to get ALL the things you mention!

Keep up the good work guys

S'n'T
          "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
          Sara O' Neill's father;
          COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Episode #44 is now available!

Our look back at Stargate history continues this week with a top-to-bottom discussion of the fourth season of Stargate SG-1! It’s one of our favorite years of the show, from the exciting Replicator battle in “Small Victories” to the comedy of “Window of Opportunity,” from the ethical dilemmas of “Scorched Earth” and “The Other Side” to twice the SG-1, twice the fun in “Double Jeopardy.”

Also this week:

Special Preview! Hear our second clip from "First Prime," the new Stargate SG-1 audio novel from Big Finish.

Stargate News! The latest news from the Stargate universe

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! Catch an exclusive preview of our upcoming video interview with Ryan Robbins (Genii leader Ladon Radim on Atlantis, and now co-starring as Henry Foss on Sanctuary)

Listener Feedback!

Next Week's Listener Question: Is there a morally wrong way to fight evil aliens and genocidal robots? Or does the question of a “just war” simply not belong in science fiction?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing to the podcast!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Ah Season 4... what a fantastic season. As close to perfect as they got during the show's run. I'm kinda surprised at the decent number of **s in the guide.

I agree with David in that Entity was probably the 'worst' episode of the season... but it was still a good one! That says something about Season 4.
              sigpic
              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

just popping in to say i loved the trek podcast
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Listener Question: Is there a morally wrong way to fight evil aliens and genocidal robots? Or does the question of a “just war” simply not belong in science fiction?

I think it's relative. I think it comes down to the threat presented. In the case of Stargate. I have always felt that the SGC was correct in their way of fighting all the aliens and robots. It comes down to the ability to reason with the enemy vs. the threat. If they want to destroy or take over the Earth and you can't talk them out of it then all the cards are off the table and they MUST be wiped out by whatever means nessessary to protect the Earth.

Thank you
                  Mac Jackson
                  Singer/Songwriter of
                  "Harmony Constant"
                  [email protected]
                  myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                  youtube.com/MacWJack
                  Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Great podcast, as always.

As for your listener question:

Science fiction has always been and will always be a reflection of our society. And that is also the reason, why it will always ask the question of morality; if what we are doing is wrong or not. But what is wrong and what is right?

It always depends on our point of view. In centuries past, it was morally acceptable to torture prisoners. Now, it is not.

I think that we should always look at things from the point of view of the characters. SG-1, for example, have the same moral standards as we do, so they have the same view of what is right or wrong. They thought it to be wrong to poison Goa'uld worlds, where thousands of Jaffa would die (I speak about the Trust incident). But would they have said the same if it was about the Replicators?

Of course not. They're machines and they're not redeemable like the Jaffa are, so morally wrong or not, we have to take them out.

In the end, it is a question whether we are prepared to give up the fundamental principles on which our society is based on in order to survive. But do we really have a choice?

A very good example for this is BSG. Their society annihilated, escaping from their enemies, they do many things that are morally wrong. But they survive.

Survival will always control human behavior. We only have to ask ourselves, if our moral principles are important enough for us to die for and perhaps take the whole of humanity with us into oblivion.

Conclusion: Of course, there's a morally wrong way to fight evil aliens and of course there's such a thing as a just war. The real question should be, if we can allow ourselves to hold onto our morals or if the price is too high.

Comment

Episode #45 is now available!

Does Earth fight its alien adversaries in an ethical way? This week GateWorld’s Darren and David are talking about “just war” theory and the ethics of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Have our heroes done wrong, even committed atrocities, under the banner of defeating parasitic aliens and evil robots? Should these sorts of issues be explored on the show, or do they only get in the way of the action?

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest news from the Stargate universe

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! Hear a preview of our very special video interview with "Dr. Janet Fraiser" actress Teryl Rothery.

Listener Feedback!

Next Week's Listener Question: What do Stargate and Star Trek have in common that you love? In what ways do you think they are most different?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing to the podcast!

Comment

Hey, i got an off topic question, along the lines of some of ur philosophy topics...

What does SG and Religion (in the way of telling stories) have in common. I heard a radio station talk about it and there conclusion was that sci-fi and religion are close bed fellows.

Personally i think that the only thing that makes religion and sci-fi is that religion in itself is a form of sci-fi. In its own right religion tries to explain thing we don't or didn't understand at that time. So its understandable the stories would be similar.

But thats a topic u guys i tihnk can touch on later... if u want, id be interested to hear what u think

anyway... listener question...

I never really like ST i couldn't get into it (until the most recent movie and even then i wasn't that into it) so i dont have anything to really compare....
                        sorry

What drove me away from ST and to SG... no idea, i think ST was before my time a little. Im only 20 so i grew up watching SG with my dad and he never wanted a bar of ST so i never saw that...

Have fun
                        Last edited by Spinobreaker; 03 June 2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

We definitely have a few religion-themed topics in the works. I think there is a lot there to explore, and its a realm that David and I are both interested in. Stay tuned!

Comment

sweet, sounds interesting, dw i will, i havn't missed 1 so far lol.

Comment

Hey Guys!!

Thanks for a great podcast! Really interesting. Have listened only once...will replay again. Humble thanks for including my rambles.

With regard to the question of Mitchell in Ripple Effect and cut the green one...There was never any payback and unlikely that there will be. Mr Mallozzi on his blog answered that question relatively recently. If you pop on over to his blog at Wordpress and use the search function you'll see it. I think that they wanted to include it in a future Season 11, but it never came to pass!!!

Hope that helps

Talk soon all and thanks again

S'n'T
                              "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
                              Sara O' Neill's father;
                              COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Listener Question:

For me it seemed like Star Trek set a certain standard in Sci-Fi story telling. Stargate then came along and either avoided or improved upon those cliche plots. The first SG-1 season was dangerously close to walking the Star Trek "Off Planet Delema of the week" line by having no over all thread. Thank God that changed. Since then only the fun, light hearted episodes are similar to me. Stargate has only improved the realistic and exciting world of Sci-Fi that others have started.

PS- I have to tell you: There are times...ok, always, when I wish I was part of your debates or chats. There are points I would love to make every minute. It kills me because I think I would have some good counter points. Anyway, Thanks as always for including my 2 cents.
                                Mac Jackson
                                Singer/Songwriter of
                                "Harmony Constant"
                                [email protected]
                                myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                                youtube.com/MacWJack
                                Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                                http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Working...
                                X