This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    On closer inspection, I believe the photo is of the back side of the Atlantis gate. The chevron is very blue, and the Atlantis gateroom observation deck can be seen in the background ...
    Oh, I see!

On spoilers:
    I hate them because often it ruins an episode for me: I get ideas in my head of what awesome things could happen, so there is the propensity to be disappointed when it finally airs.
    Last edited by shipper hannah; 13 May 2009, 02:44 AM.
    sigpic
    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Thanks guys for the wonderful podcast. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure the one you'll do sometime in the future about relationships (all kinds, of them, friendship is even more important than the romance in SGverse) I'll enjoy even more, if that's possible.

However it sounded like Darren and David were a little perplexed that some folks watched the show for S/J romance only While I'm not one of them I can't help but wonder what's wrong with that? Different people enjoy different aspects of the show.

Anyway, for the next podcast:

Over time I've changed my mind about spoilers. Years ago when I entered fandom I read all the spoilers concerning SG-1 I could find and enjoyed it immensely. But I stopped doing that around season 9 when I liked the show less and less and stopped caring so much about the plots. Paradoxically I discovered that I get more enjoyment out of watching an episode if I don't know what's going to happen, or what was supposed to happen. Since then I've been trying to stay relatively spoiler free, especially for SGU .

Unfortunately it's pretty hard because you risk running into spoilers every time you log on GW, whether you like it or not. For example I was spoiled about the identity of the Fifth Cylon on BSG long before I had a chance to watch the show, because someone in the SGU folder had a sig with pictures of The Final Five.
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Thanks for last podcast it was a fun romp. Maybe another podcast idea, where do listeners listen to the podcast? What is the setting for listening to it?

Spoilers:

I look them up but they don't affect my watching of the episode as usually they don't fill everything in.

Star Trek comment below
        Spoiler:
        For the Star Trek section of the podcast, what do you think about the change in the timeline. But if Nero came back in time to destroy Vulcan, in 129 years Spock now knows that a star will go supernova and stop the events from the movie from ever happening. Also, what is up with the new Romulans, they don't look like any romulan from before
        Last edited by Ramses818; 13 May 2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

For the Listener Question:

I avoid spoilers whenever possible. The only time I gave in was when Jack was going to be in seasons 9 and 10 and I was looking for a beken of hope of getting things back to how they should be. Overall I hate them since they not only give you a chance to spoil the twists of an episode but sometimes just the title of a spoiler will give away way too much. I wish they didn't exist.

Thanks as always
          Mac Jackson
          Singer/Songwriter of
          "Harmony Constant"
          [email protected]
          myspace.com/harmonyconstant
          youtube.com/MacWJack
          Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

AWESOME PODCAST.

And I am not just saying that because you covered my STARGATE INFINITY topic either.

Just to give you an idea of the POSITIVE effect of STARGATE on my son, BRODIE. Last year in his Cultural Class they were studying Ancient Egypt. He blew the guest speaker away by rattling off names like Aphophis, Osiris, Ba'al, Hathor....etc..... The speaker was stunned y his wealth of knowledge for a then 5th Grader. BRODIE just smiled & never gave away his secret source.

As far as age appropriate material.......it depends from kid to kid. BRODIE is a pretty mature pre-teen who just devores all things STARGATE. Even though he thinks Dad's DOCTOR WHO is pretty lame.

The only thing I fast forward through is, ofcourse, the Nude Scene in CHILDREN OF THE GODS, and the final scene season 10's FAMILY TIES, when TEAL'C attends the "Virginia Dialogues". The use of the word V***** twenty times at the end of an episode as some kind of punchline, is a bit much for a pre-teen boy.

Comment

Personally, i dont really like spoilers if i am only 1 week away from the episode but if im 6 weeks away ill read up just to get my stargate hit, most other shows i dont even look for spoilers

Comment

With regards to the length of the podcast, I don't think you should delete anything to keep it short. I go through podcasts like crazy and wouldnt mind the gateworld podcast being 3 hours or more if you had time to do it (referring to the comment in the latest podcast about deleting 10 min of star trek comments).
                If its a matter of not losing people's attention, I've seen two ways that it can be solved to everyone's benefit:
                -Use the chapter feature in itunes. That way you can divide the podcast into chapters, and if people don't want to listen to a specific part they can just skip it easily without having to fast forward
                -Have a "Gateworld Extras" podcast. One of my favorite podcasts, the cell phone junkie, started a second podcast called tcpj unlocked to cover all the extra talk that there wasn't room for in the main podcast. That way, those that really like the show can get the full experience while those that like it in small dozes can listen to just the main one.

Of course I know you are very busy and might not have time to do much extras, or I would have suggested this before. I'm only suggesting it now because you said you cut 10 min from the show, and thats 10 min I really wish I coul dhave access to even if others prefer to have a shorter show.
                sigpic

Comment

For this week's question regarding spoilers: It doesn't bother me when I see or hear spoilers of TV shows. Again, this is only for TV shows. When it comes to movies, I avoid spoilers all together.

With that said, I was so pissed off at myself when GateWorld posted a picture of who is behind the suit for SGA Season 5 "The Lost Tribe". Immediately after I saw that picture, I was so disappointed. All I kept thinking was "this would have been such a great surprise had I watched in its original airing".

Also a question for you guys. A month before SGA Season 1 and SG-1 Season 8 aired, I bought a Press Release Kit that had the both of these shows 2-hour premier with some other material that was beautifully packaged. However, the show was missing most of the special effects. Likewise with SGA last two episodes (Vegas and Enemy at the Gate) were leaked out onto the Internet a good month or so before it aired. Again this was also missing special effects. Naturally I watched all of these. Do you consider watching these episodes with the missing special effects spoilers. I am curious to see what you think of this.?

Comment

Also I have to agree with Cptnodegard regarding the podcast length.

Keep up the great job guys.

Comment

I have two things I want to contribute to this spoilers discussion. One is my opinion, the second is a story about one of my friends.

Spoilers are quite controversial in the media industry. But they do not detract from my watching of episodes. In fact, I happen to enjoy episodes I've read spoilers on, in comparison to those I have not. Some exceptions remain however. The pre-mature leaking of the reveal of the Asgard in "The Lost Tribe" ruined the episode for me. When details like that are leaked, it's hard not to be disappointed.

(Here comes my story )
                      During the week before Harry Potter #7 came out, my friend Jeff became a hermit. He avoided going on MSN, MuggleNet (Harry Potter fan site), and even hanging out with myself and my friends, to avoid the potential spoilers of the novel. He did however join us on the midnight release. While it may have been at a point of being extreme to avoid spoilers, he succeeded, and avoided being spoiled.

Comment

Hi Darren and David,

Answering this weeks listener question

I am a spoiler-phobe(sp?) I hate spoilers which is the reason I was so late to the podcast, I was worried you guys would be including spoilers (thanks for not using spoilers )

Also being part of fandom means there's bigger chance of being spoiled b/c either people forget or just don't care to use the spoiler button, this has happened to me a few times on GW. Also TPTB giving titbits of an ep that's being filmed which great of them but then the scene is cut for whatever reason and fans are left disappointed, it would been better IMHO if TPTB had not said anything until they were sure of what the finished ep would be.

Thanks.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

May 13th listener question
                          My views on spoilers are always changing. There have been times where I would not read any spoilers and other times where I would read anything. At the moment I don't mind reading Stargate spoilers, but I would not read major spoilers like a character death. There are some shows like Lost where I am extremely careful when looking for spoilers because I don't want the whole plot spoiled.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by Pandora's Box

Comment

Hey all

RE: Spoilers...never really bothered me.. If you are a committed fan, you will no doubt love to be "ahead of the curve" and spoilers do that..

Also, keep meaing to say...every time the podcast starts you hear : Welcome to the GateWorld Podcast....I keep thinking I'm going to hear Darren and David break into :
                            "Gate World...Party Time...Excellent..." Sorry, just couldn't resist!!!!!

Keep up the great work guys...and also concur re: length...that's what the FF button is there for..if you need it...Like I said in a post further back...3 hours of gold would be great!!!

S'n'T
                            "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
                            Sara O' Neill's father;
                            COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Shirt'n'Tie View Post
                              Hey all

RE: Spoilers...never really bothered me.. If you are a committed fan, you will no doubt love to be "ahead of the curve" and spoilers do that..

S'n'T
                              Hey SnT
                              I am going to respectfully disagree with your opinion on this

As I am what I feel is a *committed fan* I abhor spoilers and as a Mod I go to great lengths to not be spoiled and of course can never completely avoid that.
                              I don't want to be *ahead of anything* I want to be surprised, delighted and never see the twist coming.....

So it is my opinion that there are many very devoted and committed fans that don't want anything spoiled for them if at all possible
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Apologies if this has already been asked, but it was mentioned in the last podcast that there are some very well written novel length fan-fiction floating about on the internet. I am totally new to fan-fiction and thought that this would be a great introduction into the genre. Therefore, please could you provide me with the details of the novel-length fan-fiction referred to in the podcast. Thanks.

Re. Spoilers. I think that the name says it all. I know that it is the journey that provides the memories and not the destination; but if you already know everything about the destination before you set off, then why would you bother taking the first step.

Comment

Working...
                                X