Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascension i think may not be possible, it might be. After all the look of the ascended beings were based on angels.

My point is this, ascension is more or less to do with evolution. I know there will be religious types out there who say evolution doesn't exist because there is no point to it, no intelligence, just violence. Well there is a point, and that is to move towards being the perfect being...

Now moving on to ascension directly. The premise for ascension was taken from the Buddhists, and there belief of reincarnation (and some wheel thingy i cant remember). And only those who are pure of spirit, mind and body can manage to escape this wheel of life and be above it watching it forever. The original Buddhist dude (if i remember correctly) supposedly managed to do this, and is the only one known to have done this in there texts...

So i go back to my first point, weather its possible or not, i think its ur belief in ur god (or gods, or lack of) thatll allow u to find the true answer

Comment

I think Ascension is a purely science fiction concept. Like most scifi concepts, it is based on a real world scientific concept of evolution, however it implies a final result to evolution. As a person who sees the universe as a random set of coincidences, I do not see evolution as having a 'goal'. Also, as pure energy, without chemicals in the brain, how does one have emotions, or without neurons how does one even think?
      Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

me can't wait for paul mcgillion interview
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

For the Listener Question:

I view Ascension as a higher plane of existence yet not the final reward of heaven. It would be closer to purgatory since you can watch stuff happen but never interfere. It seem like an alternative to dying. Where as death is final and the afterlife is your reward or punishment this gives the characters an option before you get to that level. Do I think it's possible? Sure, since we don't know what happens between here and heaven. Anything is possible.

Thanks
          Mac Jackson
          Singer/Songwriter of
          "Harmony Constant"
          [email protected]
          myspace.com/harmonyconstant
          youtube.com/MacWJack
          Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Next Week's Listener Question: Do you believe that the notion of ascension (or something like it) represents a true possibility for human beings? Or is it pure science fiction?

In my opinion it is too soon to tell either way. Humans at this point in history are roughly simple in galactic terms and only through time will we even have enough information to make a subjective decission. But if I have to choose I think that ascension is possible only because anything is possible at this point in human civilization. Only though time and evolution will tell.
            Last edited by Eyeofra; 29 April 2009, 08:58 AM.
            SGA: Save the Lost City! If you want more Atlantis, please sign the petition!
            http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/
            The base of the SGA: Save the Lost City! Movement.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58008
            My save stargate atlantis group
            http://groups.myspace.com/savestargateatlantis

Comment

First the good, I loved the episode by episode breakdown. Much better than picking a couple episode to talk about.

Now the bad, they didn't have to kill Sha're!!! SG-1 had already met the Tok'ra so they knew they could remove the symbiote without killing her. And she could have joined SG-1 or at the least encouraged Daniel to continue his fight against the Goa'uld. Daniel had every right to be pissed at Teal'c.

Caprica comment:
              Spoiler:
              I am on the fence about Caprica, it is very religious heavy which doesn't really appeal to me. One thing that pissed me off was, in all the commercials they showed a cylon raider crashing into the skytrain, which never happened.

And do the cylons believe in "the one true god" because of Zoe Graystone, or is the terrorist organization run by cylons?

Comment

loved the comments on caprica guys and i too loved to see young adama
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Ascension, to me, is more of a fantasy concept than a science fiction concept - I don't think that it's explainable in the way that hyperdrive is explainable. If you're willing to suspend your disbelief, then it's absolutely possible. I'm just saying that it doesn't exactly hold up to scrutiny.

I like it, though.
                  sigpic
                  Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Hey Darren and David,

Just finished listening to podcast 40, it was another great listen. I didn't answer the season 3 listener question b/c I couldn't pick just one ep lol, but I really love this season.

Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
                    For the Listener Question:

I view Ascension as a higher plane of existence yet not the final reward of heaven. It would be closer to purgatory since you can watch stuff happen but never interfere. It seem like an alternative to dying. Where as death is final and the afterlife is your reward or punishment this gives the characters an option before you get to that level. Do I think it's possible? Sure, since we don't know what happens between here and heaven. Anything is possible.

Thanks
                    Answering this weeks listener question

I agree with Mac Jackson, I think Ascension is a step to the final plane whatever you believe that to be, maybe ascension is the way for us to study ourselfs as a race and gain a better sense of who we are and where we went right and wrong while on earth.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I think that Ascension in the form that stargate portrays it is very implausible. Going from human form to complete energy and not leaving anything behind is pure scifi. However, I think that the concept of one living on in one form or another is very plausible.

Often ideas that exist in religion do have some basis for them. The concept of the afterlife is seen in every religion in the world.
                      I also, think that it is plausible to have ones mind or thoughts converted to a differant format. But the all powerful, no. Ascencion would only be moving onto another plane of existence which may have the ability to peer in but not to actually control.

Comment

A few coments on Caprica.

I had the chance to watch it tonight. It was a good made for TV/straight to DVD halmark movie. It has the death, the moral dillema, and the intrigue.
                        Spoiler:
                        It is clear how the Cylons got started. Clearly all Cylons are based off the original code for Zoe which was a monotheistic religion base.

I did find it rather negligent of Graystone to download the only thing he has left of his daughter into the CYLON without making a copy in case something went wrong.

The major question presented was what would you do if you could see your dead loved one again. This is a very deep question. However, despite the fact that the movie dealt with it, I don't think that the show will.

A plus was the actress who played Lacy (she played Andy in Kyle XY) to make another Scifi connection.

Spoiler:
                        I found it interesting at the end how the sister is really a member of the cult. I hope that the show doesn't focus on the holy war concept, that if you are doing it for god it can't be wrong. The fact is that killing is wrong espcially innocents.

As a show I might pick it up. It won't be on the top of the list. One thing about the show though is, that it seems that if Scifi doesn't want to continue with it, it could easily go to any station as it isn't a classic Scifi genre show. It is more of an alternate reality show.
                        Last edited by Darren; 01 May 2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Another Caprica

Spoiler:
                          I didn't see the dead beat dad concept in Joseph Adama. He is portrayed as a over working father who is unclear about his emotions and had left those to his wife. When his wife dies he is in conflict with him self. He seems like the kind of father that will rekindle his relationship with his son, not lead his son to turn into the greatest military comander of the human race.

Oh well, I hope that they do some flash forward scenes to when he is older or soemthing to connect the two Adamas better because it is 58 years in th past.

Also, does anyone think that Graystone looks like Lee Adama?
                          Last edited by Darren; 01 May 2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for including my rambles on the podcast! Agree with the guys here, in the ep by ep breakdown approach...really good!!

RE: Ascension..I will ponder that over the week!

Thanks again and keep up the excellent content.

S'n'T
                            "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
                            Sara O' Neill's father;
                            COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Please include spoiler tags for discussion of Caprica. Or, better yet, head over to the Caprica folder!

http://forum.gateworld.net/forumdisplay.php?f=150

Thanks.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hi all

Totally random thing struck me watching Season 3 last week. It was the sound! Am I alone in thinking that they changed the sound levels in later Seasons? By this I mean, you can occassionally hear a faint "thun/thunk" like a metal against metal sound in some of the earlier eps. Particularly in the Conference Room...I always assumed that this was some intended background noise to give the effect of a large voluminous area/and or maintenance on the base...It always sounded a bit ominous..It's reminiscent of the background noise in Resident Evil PS games... Do you guys know what I'm talking about...or should I up the medication?

Anyway just curious if any one else noticed this..or maybe I am having a "Legacy" moment....

S'n'T
                                "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
                                Sara O' Neill's father;
                                COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Working...
                                X