Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The crazy fan podcast was fun to listen to. I don't think Stargate fans are as fanatical as Star Trek fans, and as with any group there is always the couple oddballs. But interesting none the less.

Listener Question: The addition of alien technologies has not only advanced the storyline in episodes, but the overall arc of the show. The SGC's mission was to seek out new advanced technologies, to help aid in the defence of Earth against it's enemies. The addition of different technologies was crucial to the show, so it wouldn't be fair to say they were dependant on technology. But the dependance on ships and shields definitely replaced the ingenuity and determination of SG-1 we once knew.

Comment

Hi guys

I realise I'm probably late for the Listener Question..but here's my 2cents worth:

I have no major problem with the use of "last minute beam outs" or the sudden arrival of the Daedalus to whisk our heroes away.... What I do have a problem with is : when established dogma (within the show) is overturned or just dismissed out of hand.

There is one glaring and obvious example. In Ark of Truth (a movie I loved) I was disappointed with the way the Ori were finally defeated.
      We had two years of building up the Ori to be just about unbeatable. Millions of followers, huge power, unstoppable!!! And they were finally destroyed by........ a box???
      Hur?

I realise that a wished for Season 11 would probably have fleshed out a better/elongated way of destroying them...but still...a box?

Anyhoo - 2 cents!!

Talk soon all

S'n'T
      "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
      Sara O' Neill's father;
      COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Tech as a crutch?

I think that Stargate does not use technology as a crutch so much. When compared to the other species that the teams fight they tend to be technologically inferior so they can't use technology as a crutch since they don't have it.

In Atlantis they rely on Tech much more than in Sg1 but S9 and S10 of SG1 was heavily tech oriented in trying to figure out the ancient technologies to defeat the Ori.
        It has been mentioned that the mission of the Stargate program was to search out new technologies, so if they find them why not use them. But some of that does get messed up when they already have the tech and they don't bother using it (for example, when using stealth infiltration why don't they take a zat along.)

In Atlantis they do rely on the life signs detector a little too much.

More than what I have already said: I do think though that often they use science as a crutch. They too often in SG1 turned to Carter or in Atlantis to McKay to fix solve a problem by coming up with the scientific solution.

Comment

Really Late Response to Podcast #30 - Fan Conventions.

I have attended 1 convention in my lifetime and it was Star Trek convention and it was by far the worst experience I have ever had. The actors were nice I met Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn, the problem was the vendors and dealers, they were rude, nasty, tried to charge me more for something for an item that was marked a certain price on the item I wanted, I bought a replica of the Star ship Enterprise that was in a box and I and when I got home, it was broken and a piece was missing, I called the people that ran the convention (I think was a fan run I can't remember) and they were less then helpful, they treated me like I was some kind of 2nd class citizen who just wanted to complain. I didn't ask for my money back when I called, I just wanted to let them know about my experience.

I have not been to another Sci Fi convention since, I have no intention on ever going to one again. I know there are conventions that are great and wonderful and the people are sweet, but the experince really upset me and I don't think it's right for them to treat people the way they do.
          Last edited by Teresa35; 21 April 2009, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Episode #39 is now available!

On the table for discussion this week is the use of advanced technology in the Stargate universe! From transporters and locator chips to Merlin’s weapon and the Ark of Truth, Darren and David ponder just how much these are storytelling devices, and how much they are used as crutches. We’ll also find out what you think in this week’s listener mail.

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest news from the Stargate universe

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! Get an exclusive sneak peek at next week's new video interview with Amanda Tapping

Listener Feedback!

Next Week's Listener Question: What is your favorite episode from SG-1 Season Three, and why? Least favorite?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks again for listening!
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Listener Question: this is for podcast 39.

season 3 has some great episodes that really push forward story arcs and goes deep in to the charaters, such as crystal skull,100 days, forever in a day.
              my favorite episode for season 3 has to be A hunred days , for is one of the best episode in season 3. really gives o'neill a detph to his charater, shows that he never gives up, has a hardtime to forget his old life style( since the gate lies underground).
              also shows that team really care for him! they build a paratuicl laser!! it's such a nice episode..

my least favorite is Deadman switch. the story is weak,doesnt give me a good stargate feeling.

sorry for any spelling
              now my brothers in arms,, i stand before you now, like our for father did in the heed of battel,let us take the steel and our honor to victory

Comment

Did David really mention "Megazord" from Power Rangers?? haven't heard that since I was 12

Listener Question: My favorite Season 3 episode is Hundred Days. It had some great character moments, and was the first time I thought someone was seriously cutoff from Earth.
                The episode I didn't like was Forever In A Day, not only was it confusing, but when Teal'c entered the small tent to save Daniel. Why didn't he just bonk Sha're on the head with his staff or shoot her in the shoulder? She really didn't have to die, but i guess if she didn't, that would have defeated the whole purpose of the episode.

Comment

My first instinct is "Nemesis". I love the purple Replicators and the threat they pose, and I love the escape via the SGC's Stargate. However, in the end, I have a special place in my heart for "Fair Game". Of course, there were many others to pick from like "Foothold", "Deadman Switch", "Forever in a Day", and even "Urgo"!

My least favorite is probably "Learning Curve", not because it's a bad episode but because it's a rather bland episode, especially in comparison to many Season 3 classics.
                  Last edited by Ulkesh47; 22 April 2009, 03:30 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

For the listener Question:
                    As always it's impossible to pick a favorite episode. We had personal, gutsy episodes like "Learning Curve" and "A Hundred Days" and fun, silly episodes like "Urgo" but what amazed me about that season was not only the epic, movie styles episodes like "Foothold" and "Nemisis" which introduced some of the best villians but the fact that we got closure with "Pretense", "Past and Present" and "Forever and a Day". TPTB really took care of us that season.

As far as the weakest episode I'd go with "Seth". It seemed like a throwaway episode.

Thanks as always
                    Mac Jackson
                    Singer/Songwriter of
                    "Harmony Constant"
                    [email protected]
                    myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                    youtube.com/MacWJack
                    Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Season three was truly situated in the period of the golden age of Stargate. There were so many good episodes that it is difficult to pick a favorite. Jolinar's Memories, The Devil You Know, Foothold, 100 Days and Nemesis were some of the best. We not only saw the Tok'ra again on Netu but also experienced that the danger of off-world can come home in Foothold. All of these were exceptional episodes but I think that the best of season three is Fair Game.

Fair Game opened for us the wider Stargate universe. For the first time since the beginning of the SGC, the Tau'ri were a true threat to the Goa'uld. In this episode we not only learned about the social dynamics of the System Lords but we also saw some of the characters' background, especially Sam's and Teal'c's, which made them more real. We also saw the Asgard again. Fair Game was the beginning of many things: our relationship with the Asgard and our dealings with the System Lords. But the most important thing of all: It was the Tau'ri's first step towards becoming the Fifth Race and a major player in the galaxy.

Comment

For the listener Question: season 3

for me i would say hundred days. the CGI was amazing and for the first time in the series the team really may have lost a member. at the point of seasons 3 there was no 304's or the random cargo vessal that could just whisk the across the galaxy and solve the probelm.

and serouisy teal'c going on a one way mission the save jack was selfless. it did leave the door open at the end if the women jack was with. (i don't recall the name as of this posting) fill in if needed. to this day i personally choose to believe that jack now has a child off world that he (at least canon wise) doesn't know about.

ishay

Comment

(If this first line sounds corny as it's being read, it was meant to )
                          Thank you for placing my thank you into the podcast. Much appreciation, as you guys did an awesome job for the "Crazy Fan Podcast." The moment I heard the topic for it, I went a bit nuts . So, I just had to show my appreciation. It was all thanks to Tames hilarious feedback to that podcast I posted that. So, once again, cheers to you guys for doing excellent work.

Listener Question
                          In order to choose this season's favourite, I have to pick both parts. "Jolinars Memories", and "The Devil You Know" take my favourite episodes of Season 3. It brought quite a shocking revelation at the end of Part 1 with Apophis's return, and it did not disappoint going into Part 2. The means of interrogation, and SG-1's means of escape provided some of the best storytelling quality we've known to love.
                          Last edited by KhaosNite13; 24 April 2009, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Season 3 introduces so much that flows on good and bad, Replicators, Ascended Beings, Rouge NID (offworld), we get shaara back, we go mad (well daniel does), that extreemly anoying voice (urgo) and last but not least... return of Apophis...

I cant choose a high or a low in this season, its all good in my books...

One thing i miss though is the return of aris bok, i know he was in one of the comics, but i dont normally read those, i wish of all the once offers to not return he did

Comment

Although not my favourite season 3 episode, I think that "Learning Curve" was a very interesting episode from a detached, moral/philosophical, perspective. This episode showed that the SGC's first instinct was to judge alien societies from the standpoint of 1990's US social acceptability. Whilst the social structure that the SGC wanted to impart on the alien society was, from their standpoint, correct, it should not be forgotten that 'false religion' and 'enslavery' or 'servitude to false gods' was the correct social structure from the Goa'uld standpoint. As was seen in the earlier episodes where Chulak was visited, the society created by the 'false gods' was a functioning society that probably would look upon our society as incomprehensible or just plain wrong, and desire to change it to more resemble their society. I accept that near the end of the episode the little girl, Merrin I think her name was, was allowed to return to her homeworld, Orban, for the nanites to be harvested, which seems like a nod to the fact that the writers realise that enforcing their beliefs upon an alien culture is wrong; however, the writers couldn't help but finish the episode with the children playing sequence and the promise for education (i.e. conforming to the societal beliefs of the SGC). This episode would have had much more impact if it finished when the girl stepped through the stargate to return home. This episode showed that the SGC were quite capable of wilfully destroying alien cultures because they didn't like them. Lord help us if they visit foreign cultures on earth, such as in south east Asia, Africa or the middle east!

Comment

Episode #40 is now available!

If the System Lords are making a house call, Sokar is threatening galactic domination, and Jack O’Neill is making time with some chick on the planet Edora, you know it must be Season Three of Stargate SG-1! It’s one of our favorite years in Stargate history, and it’s this week’s discussion topic. GateWorld’s Darren and David will talk about the stories, the characters, and the big moves in the show’s mythology that make Season Three so great. And we’ll hear which episodes podcast listeners think are the best of the year!

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest news from the Stargate universe

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! Hear an exclusive preview of next week's video interview with Paul McGillion

Listener Feedback!

Next Week's Listener Question: Do you believe that the notion of ascension (or something like it) represents a true possibility for human beings? Or is it pure science fiction?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks to everyone for listening and contributing to the podcast!
                                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                                X