This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
    WOW....Jel... I am so impressed ..you picked the very thing I would never have thought of
    Your lies don't impress me
    Tame's daily twitter comes to a Podcast near you....

...incoming message..Hey today I washed all the laundry YAY me
    Looks like someone mixed their colors with their whites
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Your lies don't impress me

Looks like someone mixed their colors with their whites
      there is always a heckler in the bunch

Put that in a voice mail and let us play you on air
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

I always wash my whites and colors together. Unless I get something new and suspicious and then I'll separate out darks and lights until it's safe.

Comment

Episode #38 is now available!

What do other people think of us? That’s the question behind this week’s main discussion, in which Darren and David are joined once again by our fan panel at the 2009 Vancouver Stargate convention. Plus GateWorld’s own Tame Farrar is back to chat with us about science fiction fans and how we are perceived (and stereotyped) by family, friends, co-workers and the media at large. Are you considered the “oddball” in your family? Do you hide your love of sci-fi from others? Do you feel like an outsider?

Also this week:

Stargate News! We have tons of news from the Stargate universe to catch you up on this week.

GateWorld Features! What's new on the site?

Interview Preview! More from executive producers Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper. The full interview is coming to GateWorld in a few days.

Listener Feedback! Fans tell us about how they think other people perceive their love of science fiction.

Listener Question: Do you think that Stargate has ever fallen back on technology as a storytelling crutch? Or is new technology fundamental to what Stargate is all about?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything Stargate-related you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks for listening and contributing!
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Comment on last podcast: Hey Guys, I know you need to edit for lenth and time but as much as I'm honored to be part of any podcast, I really wish you added that last line of my comment about how others view us. It was the whole reason for my response. I wanted others to hear how I deal with negitive views to what we love.

Answer to the listener question: I never thought of tech being used as a crutch for SG-1 at least during the first 8 years. I always worried that it may be used as a "last minute save" at the end of an imposible situation but I don't recall that ever happening. You guys have mentioned that you'd rather have not seen them use tech to stop the Ori. What would you have liked to see instead? Would it be exciting for the audience?
            Mac Jackson
            Singer/Songwriter of
            "Harmony Constant"
            [email protected]
            myspace.com/harmonyconstant
            youtube.com/MacWJack
            Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
            http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

LOL Great Podcast guys I feel like I was giving parenting tips for Sci Fi kids LOLOL

You're smart enough
              your good enough
              and darn it..you can build a wormhole in your basement

Thank you again for allowing me the honor and fun of joining you once again D&D
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Sci Fi fans are the best

As for the listener question... TERs, an Ion Cannon (almost), and Asgard enhancements on the 303 and 304s were technologies that were negotiated for. Zat guns, mimic devices, kara kesh hand devices, healing devices, a wing cannon, and the occasional Ha'tak that unfortunately needs to be abandoned () were technologies that were scavenged.

The only instances of a storytelling crutch that I can think of are in regards to a ship and its Asgard transporters ("The Scourge", for example). Actually, I feel that the answer to this question (for me at least) is too similar to the ship vs. Stargate discussion from a while back.
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Darren, David and Tame,

I loved the podcast this week!

And Tame thanks for calling me normal, I'll tell my family you said so, hehe!
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Well, yeah. Technology is funamental.
                    Every time they can mention it, they remind us in the early seasons that the Stargate Program exists to gather technology in the defense of the planet. If we weren't getting any better at self defense, we'd be an insanely slowpaced show. And we'd be failing at the main aim of the SGC.

Also on another note to Darren, Do you consider The humans of Earth, Tau'ri or whatever, to be essentially the Ancients? You have referred to it before whihc confuddled me a bit claiming 'our' responsibility in creating Asurans and I even think in the creation of Atlantis.. Or something along the lines of that a few times. Is this true?

Comment

LOL Great Podcast guys I feel like I was giving parenting tips for Sci Fi kids LOLOL
                      Although I never felt ashamed of my love of SciFi, Tame, you and your "parenting tips for Sci Fi kids" made me proud of that fact. I listened to this podcast, completely understanding what other "normal" (I use quotes, because I think as a collective, Sci Fi fans are as normal as they come, and every one else is abnormal) people think of us. Yeah, most people go to the extreme, purely for entertainment, but this podcast inspired some PRIDE in me for my love of SciFi.

Thank you Darren, David, and Tame

EDIT: Oh, Tame, cheers for writing something awesome for a new sig quote: Check under spoiler tag.

Cheers,
                      Kyle
                      Last edited by KhaosNite13; 15 April 2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

[/QUOTE]Listener Question: Do you think that Stargate has ever fallen back on technology as a storytelling crutch? Or is new technology fundamental to what Stargate is all about?
                        [/QUOTE]

I do not think starget uses technology as a crutch. In any show their is a where episode were it just so happens that we got the team out with a new technolgy just in the nick of time or there just so happens that there is a new technology to help beat the bad guys but in any show there will be a episode or two that has that. My opinion is that new technology is fundamental to stargate because new technology is what the stargate program was started up by the military for. Without new technology the replicators would never been distroyed and the Asgard beam weapon and beaming technology that has helped in so many episodes would not be their to help the team. Also the team would have to bring back a new peice of technology to show their bosses so the program wont be shut down excpecailly if there is no threat at the momment.
                        Last edited by Eyeofra; 15 April 2009, 11:05 AM.
                        SGA: Save the Lost City! If you want more Atlantis, please sign the petition!
                        http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA/
                        The base of the SGA: Save the Lost City! Movement.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58008
                        My save stargate atlantis group
                        http://groups.myspace.com/savestargateatlantis

Comment

LOL I am glad I made a few folks feel good You should you know cause you are all awesome!!!

and thank YOU for the nice kudos back I definitely appreciate it

Comment

Technology as a crutch or as a story telling device (or STD for short... dont that sound bad )

Depends on the story, in SG1 the overwriting arch was always to get uber tech to kick the buts of our enemies... where as in SGA we had the tech, so it tended to be more of a crutch, "oh no the gates not working, send a jumper..." sort thing, is the DHD in SG1 dies ur more or less screwed, u got to hand dial the damn thing and thats just annoying lol

To the point though crutch or STD id say that its generally a STD and sometimes a crutch, depends directly on the story being told...

Comment

Hey guys...loved Epi #38. It was fabulous. I have had so many of those same experiences that u guys have had, and more. I even had my mom listen to some parts, not a scifi fan in general...but will watch it time to time, and she found a lot of things that she had to agree with. I have been called a Star Trek fan so much after first introducing myself as a scifi fan...that I now add on to the end..."but no...I'm not a trekkie." Then some people I say that to are all confused...wondering what hell I'm a scifi fan for.

And I thought this would be interesting to bring up...I think with this new fandom of Twilight, there are some people that hate scifi and fantasy but love these books...go stark crazy over them, went to Comic Con for the panel, travel to the sets, meet the cast members...and yet...still...they think that we are different...??? That Twilight is in a category all on it's own. In some ways, I think it is a whole new type of fan all their own because these stories found a way to connect to the people that have never liked this genre before...and I talk to some about conventions, ones I've been too and what not...and they still think I'm crazy...when they have done crazier things than I have when it comes to fandom events... I just don't get it...

Okay...and for the LISTENER QUESTION: how do I feel about the use of tech in Stargate...I have never felt like it has been used as a crutch. When I begin to watch a show, having seen the previews or the ads in magazines or whatever...I generally know what to expect.

I expect to see alot of use of high technology in Stargate. After seeing the movie and reading about what the series was going to be about...then when Atlantis was created...I expected technology to be a major character in the story. And sometimes...I have no idea what the hell is being said, especially when its Carter or McKay talking...but it never phases me.

Already having the stargate from the movie...that tech wasn't really questioned by the audience. And the writers in the beginning, did a fantastic job of slowly introducing new technology. It's like the authors that have to create a whole new world for their fantasy. Like Lord of the Rings or Eragon, or Wheel of Time.

The author has to set up the basic rules of the world. How things work and why they work. Not everything has to be explained right at the beginning...you learn as you go. It's the same thing with Stargate. In the beginning, and every time a new technology has been introduced...the rules are introduced as well. And those rules are never broken...it would be bad writing otherwise.
                              Far from home
                              A man searches for hope.
                              Far from home, he finds it.

Comment

I'll join the chorus to say I loved last podcast
                                And although it's cool to be a part of it, I wish you used at least one line about positive reactions I got, not just the worst ones, lol

And guys, thank you so much for your support with the whole dating/flatmate's boyfriend thing
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X