This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    We've seen two reviews of the GateWorld Podcast this week!

Daniel and Sue at That Podcast Show included us in their audio review of podcasts (the first of three in Episode #52).

And there's a review of the podcast in Issue #19 of SciFi Now magazine (Watchmen on the cover).
    Not read the sci fi now one but well done on the podcast show review.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

In order to avoid the predictable responses to the question of which characters left too soon (Janet, Ford, Janet, Weir, Janet, Anubis, Janet...etc) here are a few not-so-common characters whose potential we saw squandered. Hope it spices the discussion up a bit.

1) Anise- A Tok'ra with an actual personality, written with all the imperiousness and superiority that is inherent in the Tok'ra as a people. She got cast off because the actress had a huge rack, which apparently inflames the loins of fans everywhere. And that offends the senses of fans everywhere. Go figure. Anise had her own character above and beyond the generic "Tok'ra" functionality that we saw with Malek and Delek, and that Martouf was never able to shake. Oh, and Martouf died right when he should have, not too soon as someone is bound to contend. Martouf's death is timely and effective in keeping the Goa'uld menacing and innovative four years into SG1's run. He was always only marginally effective as Sam's/Jolinar's former mate, and he was constantly outplayed by the awesomeness and undeniable usefulness of Jacob Carter. Even if I think the producers made a bonehead decision with Anise, they nailed it with Martouf and Jacob.

2 Klorel- I just kept waiting and waiting for Klorel to show up again after Pretense. Sure, he was no longer joined with Skara, but it's clear that the snake was going to survive AND be sent to the Goa'uld world of his choice. Surely Klorel's return in a new host would have been a built in moment of cool for the story and for the team.

3) Ista and Rya'c- One of the most egregious omissions from SG1 seasons nine and ten is the absence of any sort of personal stories for Teal'c. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that Teal'c's family has been a part of the show from the very, very beginning. The story of SG1 is in no small way also the story of Teal'c's redemption. Sure, in Ark of Truth we get a great bit of insight into how Teal'c feels about his own ability to achieve that redemption, but the notion that he can't get over his past atrocities does not preclude the notion that he can or deserves to once again find some modicum of personal happiness. Aside from the obvious exploration and development of Teal'c as an individual, both Rya'c and Ishta were used by the writers as examples of the Jaffa during their fight for freedom and as an inroad to the fleshing out and exploration of Jaffa culture. They're characters that the audience has a relationship with and in abandoning them for the caricatured depictions of Jaffa we got in Talion and Counterstrike is just lazy decision making and bad production values. And you can throw Rak'nor in with Rya'c and Ishta, too.

4) Kasuf, Skara, and the Abydonians- Having those characters alive and as part of the stargate universe made it a richer place. There was a shared sense of history among all of SG-1 and Abydos that goes back to Children of the Gods. It's the adventure and place where SG-1 the team, and we the viewers, first met and fell in with each other. Jack and Skara had a unique relationship strongly rooted in Jack's character. Kasuf and Skara were Daniel's family. Teal'c's redemption arc and his relationship are given subtle complexities because of the Abydonians. Destroying Abydos and the Abydonians was akin to destroying Chulak. It just isn't worth it.

5) Cassandra- I'm sure you'll get this one from someone else, but yeah, Cassandra. I get that child actors are hard to count on, but this one is a no-brainer. Of course Sam is hurt the worst by Cassie's non-return, but SG-1, all of them, lost out big time here. The team had a kid, a child that was theirs. Every single member of the team had their own personal connection with that little girl, and she was only in three episodes. Unmined potential there? You bet.

6) The Asgard- The Asgard blew themselves up. The Asgard. Thor, the Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet. Blew himself up in abject surrender. That's some serious bull****. And you all know it.

7) Sarah Gardiner- I get that the actress became unavailable, but really there was a great opportunity lost there for Daniel. His relationship with her and guilt over her experiences added great depth to a character that was looking for a place to go after Sha're kicked it. The mirroring of the experiences in those two women's lives and the impact of those experiences and respective outcomes provided the writers with an enormous amount of fodder for Daniel's character. Surely no one who gets done watching Chimera walks away thinking that that's all over and we'll never see Sarah again. Frankly, any relationship Daniel would have carried on with here would have been much more believable and realistic than what we got in seasons nine and ten. The "Daniel Jackson is Vala's whipping boy routine" was just so far away from who Daniel used to be I'm still agog that the writers were allowed to get away with it.

Well, there's a few for you. Go with that and make a real discussion out of it. I'd give you some examples from Atlantis, however it must be apparent to anyone who has attempted to watch the show that the fundamental formula and makeup of Atlantis does not allow for the recurrence of many players. Atlantis is a one-off action show. It's a series of independent episodes only very-loosely tied together. Providing guest characters with real personalities instead of functions to perform just isn't what's done on Atlantis. Hence, the loss of most characters is totally without consequence or emotional reverberation.

Comment

I have a correction!!!! Chel nak is not from the Tokra Part 1, it's from the Tokra part two.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree about Cassie - I think she should've been around more, but I get that it doesn't always fit with storylines...
          For the most part, I found Anise kind of annoying and was OK with her not being around but she was pretty amusing sometimes. Like when she made Jack "uncomfortable". Though I definitely liked Jacob the best. I missed him after Threads. Martouf I always found a little bit... I don't really know how to phrase it. I didn't dislike him, but I always thought his connection to Sam was a bit weird. I mean, I get that he misses Jolinar, but her and Sam, from what I understood, didn't really have a true blending...

The thing that really got me was, as Steve 2 mentioned, the Asgard. They were always my favourite alien race, and I thought it was a bit odd that they would all do that. I get that they didn't want to hang around for the inevitable degradation caused by the genetic disease, but I miss them. Even though it was the last episode, I still was rather put off. Made me sad.... I kind of liked the thing in Atlantis' Lost Tribe, but I didn't like that side of Pegasus' Asgard.

Comment

Re the characters I miss, I was very disppointed when they wrote Jonas out. I tuned in for quite a while to see if they'd bring him back, but they never did. He was a great character and I learned to appreciate him, even though Daniel had been my favorite character. (never really warmed to Action Jackson in the later seasons).
            For SGA, the character I miss the most is Teyla. What happened to her the last year and a half anyway? She seems less than recurring these days.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargatelvr View Post
              I have a correction!!!! Chel nak is not from the Tokra Part 1, it's from the Tokra part two.
              I think this is the scene:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/thu...lbum=43&page=9

Towards the end of Part 1.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Can I just ask: what's the "chel nak" you guys are talking about? I know the stuff in Tok'ra pretty well and just can't figure it out....

Comment

In regard to the 10-28-08 Podcast question. "...Which character do you still mourn the loss of?" To me, it seems like a question with an answer so obvious that I'm afraid to say it.

It would have to be Jack O'Neill and I mean when he left SG-1. The end of season 7 was hard to take. Col. O'Neill for all intents and purposes was gone as well as Gen. Hammond and Dr. Frasier. Isn't that about 50% of the core cast?

SG-1 after season 7 was still my favorite show on television but it was a couple of pegs less than what it had been.

Of course, the next big sadness was the premature and unexpected cancellation in season 10. I have to forgive the Sci-Fi channel because they're the only game in town and the future of the franchise probably rests on them, but in my heart, I don't think I ever can.

BTW--I'm just getting into listening to the Podcasts and enjoying them. You guys have so much more familiarity with the show histories. Between the Podcasts, GateWorld and the forums, I realize what a casual loser fan I've been. I have loved the show but I hardly ever watch anything twice.

Special request; I'd much appreciate being able to download mp3 sound files of the video interviews as well. I like to listen to this stuff while driving or while waiting to fall asleep in bed.
                  Last edited by fwupow; 29 October 2008, 11:24 PM. Reason: I honestly don't know.
                  sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
                    Can I just ask: what's the "chel nak" you guys are talking about? I know the stuff in Tok'ra pretty well and just can't figure it out....
                    I think that it's something Teal'c said when he saw a Tok'ra tunnel forming underground. Amanda Tapping made a comment about that scene--something to the effect that she may have gone over-the-top with the expression on her face.

My memory is leaky as a sieve, so watch for corrections by other members plz.

Comment

From Atlantis it's Carson for me. He was a terrific character that grew on me. He was kind, gentle, and the one that everyone else relied on. He brought out the best in others, especially Rodney. He kinda reminds me of my friend Frank, who died 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
                        I think that it's something Teal'c said when he saw a Tok'ra tunnel forming underground. Amanda Tapping made a comment about that scene--something to the effect that she may have gone over-the-top with the expression on her face.

My memory is leaky as a sieve, so watch for corrections by other members plz.
                        No it's when the tunnels are receding. That's how I suspected that it wasn't part 1. I went through and rewatched both parts. It's part 2.

And under the Tokra Part 2 here on gateworld is posted in the notes

# "Chel'nat" is a Jaffa term meaning "very cool."
                        sigpic

Comment

Ohh, right. I remember the scene now. It was a good one. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by stargatelvr View Post
                            No it's when the tunnels are receding. That's how I suspected that it wasn't part 1. I went through and rewatched both parts. It's part 2.

And under the Tokra Part 2 here on gateworld is posted in the notes

# "Chel'nat" is a Jaffa term meaning "very cool."
                            Yes, you're absolutely correct. I went back and watched both episodes last evening. Immediately after Teal'c says "Chel'nat", Daniel says "Direct translation--Very cool".

Carter has the same bug-eyed expression on her face as when she was watching a tunnel form.

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post
                              Yes, you're absolutely correct. I went back and watched both episodes last evening. Immediately after Teal'c says "Chel'nat", Daniel says "Direct translation--Very cool".

Carter has the same bug-eyed expression on her face as when she was watching a tunnel form.
                              Thank you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                We've seen two reviews of the GateWorld Podcast this week!

Daniel and Sue at That Podcast Show included us in their audio review of podcasts (the first of three in Episode #52).

And there's a review of the podcast in Issue #19 of SciFi Now magazine (Watchmen on the cover).
                                WOOT!

Just wanted to say KUDOS to both you and David as well. It truly is an enjoyable Podcast for any Stargate fan and I am glad that others are now spreading the word as well
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X