Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admit I wasn't sure if I should post at all, but I've talked about it with my GW friends and I know they feel the same as I, so here goes:

First of all, thanks for finally releasing Gauntlet podcast! It was truly well done and I enjoyed it immensely almost to the end.

However, I couldn't help but be very disappointed in David's response to the whole discussion that took place after he'd called Park a b****. I think he totally missed the point I and other posters were making. And honestly, telling your listeners "hey, if you don't like me calling a character names, don't listen! Go away!" is childish at best. You know what David? I'll take your piece of advice. The whole situation is somewhat ridiculous, with you encouraging the listeners to give honest feedback and then mocking them on air when they let you know something could have been phrased better. Where's the fun in listening to that?

Before I go, let me just clarify something. I don't know David personally so all I have to go on are the podcasts. He can be the biggest feminist ever in RL for all I know, but his comments reflect something slightly different. And that's perfectly fine, I have absolutely no desire to criticise his personal opinions to which he is fully entitled. I have nothing against you guys having your own opinions, so different from mine most of the time. If I did, I wouldn't be listening to you at all (btw David, I checked and nobody claimed to have listened to all the podcasts ever made; I certainly haven't, as I skipped all SGA-related ones ). I know and respect that you are simply recording your friendly discussions. BUT if you decided to make them public, you should accept the fact that people can find the language you use a bit offensive (especially given how high are the standards on the forum when it comes to proper language) and they have every right to express their opinions, feelings and disagreements after hearing what you had to say. I mean seriously, you encourage that! I thought that the discussion with Darren when he attempted to explain David's position was intelligent, polite and certainly well-meant, and that it settled the issue. His eloquence is the one thing I can agree with David on. Unfortunately it also made David's derisive comments on the latest podcast even more baffling.

So, in David's words: whatever.

PS. I still wish you good luck with all the future podcasts. By all means, have fun! Without my nagging.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Thanks, Petra -- we do appreciate your push-back on this issue, even if on the air we might come across as a little defensive of the sort of attitude toward podcasting that results in such comments being made.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Just finishing listening to the podcast.

First off, I didnt realise that David was only 27, i'm 30, and often presume that people are older than me based on the oddest of things.

David, i found your thoughts at the end of the podcast to be very well though out and put forward. Yes, I have greatly disagreed with you at times, and have found a couple of your opinions to be somewhat verging on the extreme. (BTW, that may be impossible, can something verge on the extreme? anyway...)

To be honest though, it was Darrens comments back in the day on the whole 'I dont approve of that lifestyle' debate that i found annoying, but ive talked about Darrens right to declare his opinions in another thread, and i fully support him in doing so.

I have moaned and nagged about your podcast many many times, of this I am fully aware, yet i only do so in the context of its release date. The delays frustrate me, because your podcast is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of podcast quality when it comes to genre shows, and i always find your opinions on the shows to be at the least interesting, and often times to be provoking or illuminating.

I am about to listen to your fancast over tinman, an episode i feel like i have seen many many times.

In fact stargate sg1 now has moved into STTNG zone for me, there is not one episode i have not seen at least 5 times i believe.

Thanks again Darren and David, but hey please dont keep us waiting 3 months for the next podcast again!
        Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
        Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Podcast 128 is edited. It is in Darren's hands now

And for the record, I am 28

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            (btw David, I checked and nobody claimed to have listened to all the podcasts ever made; I certainly haven't, as I skipped all SGA-related ones )
            I'm not sure what that long post was really about - I've never found the podcasts offensive (not the 'dog and the soul' part in an old one either). I LOVE the podcast so much - I actually want them to be longer, and it's great that you've skipped the news part in the beginning.
            But of course Petra, you're entitled to your opinion and to voice it too It's always interesting to hear how differently people think.

I digress, just wanted to say that I've watch *all* *Gateworld* podcasts, probably 5 times each - TNG mode as someone said. Simply love them, just like putting your fav. SG1 ep into the payer....

@Darren - here's a PODCAST idea by the way, can't you re-issue the Season podcasts (SG1 season 1 etc...) without the news part in the beginning, since the news aren't really new any more. And then maybe add something at the end, e.g. an extra section re. REWATCH saying which episodes won the votes or similar. Maybe talk a little more about some episodes which were skipped over so quickly I think this is a smashing idea myself!! Not sure David does (since he has more editing to do then...) What do you think?
            Last edited by daxmaryrussel; 20 August 2011, 11:30 AM. Reason: after thought, was a bit rude

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
              btw David, I checked and nobody claimed to have listened to all the podcasts ever made
              GW's podcasts? I have. I even said so earlier in this thread, about how I was listening to all the old ones to catch up. And since I've caught up, I haven't missed one
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                GW's podcasts? I have. I even said so earlier in this thread, about how I was listening to all the old ones to catch up. And since I've caught up, I haven't missed one
                I meant that nobody had stated so during the discussion in question, back in May. You included Digi. I probably should have made myself clearer, sorry about that. I have no doubt that there are many listeners who listened to every single podcast released (and no time to read over 100 pages of this thread), but none of the 3-4 posters involved in the discussion with Darren said anything like it at the time. This is why I found David saying we should have known what his views were since we'd listened to all the podcasts a bit weird. That's all.

Darren, thanks for appreciation. I can guarantee though that there will be no more push-backs, on this issue or any other. I'm sure you guys will enjoy yourselves more now.
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  Podcast 128 is edited. It is in Darren's hands now

And for the record, I am 28

Darren hurry up and post it. a world podcast speed record
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I like the idea of modifying the season-by-season podcasts a bit and re-releasing them for the Rewatch, but it is one more thing on an already busy To Do list. We'll see ...

I'll see if I have time to review and publish #128 before the day is out. I have a paper due in a few hours to get to first!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      I like the idea of modifying the season-by-season podcasts a bit and re-releasing them for the Rewatch, but it is one more thing on an already busy To Do list. We'll see ...
                      Ah, I'm pleased you're considering it. Understand about the To Do list... But we can wait...
                      (On another note - not really related to podcasts, but to rewatch, but since I have your ear now: Pity the SG1 season one is not so developed in your episode guide, I would really have liked some good summaries and reviews on that sections - I't embarrasing I have to go to wikipedia ;-) Maybe someone here at the forum would like to contribute?)

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      I'll see if I have time to review and publish #128 before the day is out. I have a paper due in a few hours to get to first!
                      Thanks! Looking forward to it. Mmm I see what you mean, I have an essay too due before noon tomorrow and I haven't started yet. Good luck with paper!
                      Last edited by daxmaryrussel; 22 August 2011, 09:06 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Now Available:
                        SGU Season Two (#128)

This week on the podcast we're winding down our discussion of the second (and, as it turned out, final) season of Stargate Universe. Darren and David will recap the past season in its entirety, including some major storylines for several characters, the evolution of the crew, and the revelation of Destiny's mission. We'll also talk about the Lucian Alliance, Destiny getting inside the team's heads, the drones, and the people of Novus.

Before the main discussion, we'll recap the Stargate Rewatch, which is now off and running here at GateWorld!

Call the Podcast Hotline! We want to hear your final thoughts on SGU -- where it succeeded and where it failed. The show's creators aimed at making a very different kind of Stargate, while still being faithful to the tapestry of the Stargate universe. Do you think they succeeded? Leave a voicemail now to join our conversation on "SGU Deconstructed."

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/0...gu-season-two/
                        Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2011-08-23.mp3
                        Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

CALL US! Dial up the GateWorld Podcast Hotline and leave us a voicemail (any time, day or night). Give us your thoughts on Season Two or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating!

Comment

Thank you for speeding production back up!

Comment

The podcast keeps cutting out for me. Whether streaming or downloading it'll get to about 60-80% and then just stop

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              The podcast keeps cutting out for me. Whether streaming or downloading it'll get to about 60-80% and then just stop
                              I've had this problem while downloading some of the podcasts. It just stops downloading early (a bummer if you don't notice until you're listening). Always thought it was browser problem, but not sure - I've tried several browsers.
                              I think you need to try downloading a couple of times - finally it will work

Comment

It's strange. It never used to do it for me, and only has done for the last two podcasts...

Comment

Working...
                                X