X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my listener mail in

Comment

Thanks Darren for the podcast in case you missed my comment

Darren, is it possible for you guys to discuss something about the ratings next week? Thanks again for the podcasts

Comment

I don't generally weigh in on the podcasts too heavily, mostly because I'm still a ways behind and catching up. But in the case of one I listened to last night, the "Women in Stargate" podcast hosted by Tame and GW guest Luisa (sp?) Robinson, I really felt compelled to for a change just because of how offensive I found Luisa to be.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not a thin-skinned person. I'm the guy friends ask for advice from because they know they'll get an honest answer whether it offends them or not. I am also the proud owner of a sense of humour that much ofpolite society would find dark and/or twisted. In short, I'm no stranger to being abrasive.

But wow, woooow was I ever blown away by that podcast. My major for my undergrad degree was History, so generally speaking I'm quite good at spotting alternative and competing points of view and not being phased in the least. What I DO take issue with is when someone gets up on a podium to simply spew mindless vitriol in all directions a la pseudo-political pundit nitwits like Glenn Beck or Keith Olbermann.

This, in my not so humble opinion, is all that this guest 'caster brought to the table. Broad, arrogantly sweeping statements like "men can't write women", apparently under any circumstances dominated the conversation from her side of the proverbial table to the exclusion of virtually all else. Compounding and exacerbating absurdities like this were the blatant hypocrisy of pointing to Farscape as an example of well-written female characters--meanwhile conveniently neglecting to note that Farscape was largely penned by a male writing staff as well.

What I found even more shocking was just how combative and quick to argue Luisa was, even when Tame was agreeing with her! While it was kind of an amusing change of pace to see Tame taking on the 'whoa there, back the frell up' mantle, that was ultimately the only enjoyment I got out of that episode I'm afraid. Which is rather disappointing, I had been looking forward to it.

In overall fairness to the podcast in general, I will say though that this one was the exception rather than the rule. I enjoy the podcasts very much, particularly the fun banter between you two guys and (usually!) whatever guest you have on.

As always this has been my $0.02, take it with a grain of salt, YMMV, etc etc, ad nauseum

Cheers!
        Rob
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A goof in the podcast!

A click is 1 kilometer so several hundred clicks would be several hundred kilometers, vastly greater than the range of those motorola radios

Comment

Maybe not so much a goof as me not understanding the true range that David was proposing. "A few hundred clicks" is vastly greater than a few miles, but rather smaller than, say, the distance between the surface of a planet and a ship in high orbit.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

So, now that I've finally also watched Pathogen, I can amend my last comment: Obviously there is radio contact on the bridge, which only makes sense. I got a little irritated by all the "we can't reach him" when Rush was on the bridge. Plus, I liked the move of showing the crew "the other favourite hideout" to throw them off. Only, they're not really believing the whacky course movements are caused by Rush writing on the walls, are they ?

Comment

Skipped the Stargate vs. Lost episode, as I haven't watched the show (and may at some point watch it). Loved loved loved the Science of SGU episode. As a life-long sci-fi nerd I sometimes get a little jaded to science-ey stuff and feel like I get it all, so it was really wonderful to hear your guest (sorry, her name escapes me at the moment ) speaking in terms so far above my head that I really had to pay close attention in order to follow along. Made for a really nice breath of fresh air.

The Ancient History podcast was....slightly disappointing for me. Not that you guys weren't thorough, or indeed did anything wrong, I just didn't find it all that engaging. I think maybe it was because, as Darren stated right up front, it was more a "101" style rather than a proper discussion. And as a shameless self-promoter, I was a bit disappointed that my Ancient history write-up didn't merit a mention, but that could just be my own vanity speaking

Regarding a future podcast discussion subject, I'd be interested in hearing you guys speak to the contemporary music montages that show up so often in SGU episodes. You've alluded to and briefly discussed them in the past, but as they seem to be rather controversial in fandom, I think they may merit a broader discussion. Without tooting my own horn, as this is very much a collaborative GW community project, I invite you to use the Contemporary Music in SGU thread as a reference guide.

Cheers, and I'll be caught up soon!
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Now Available:
                  'Pathogen' (SGU #204)

The new second season of Stargate Universe continues with "Pathogen," offering up several different storylines both on the Destiny and on Earth. This week on the GateWorld Podcast Darren and David discuss the episode from top to bottom -- from Chloe's transformation and its implications, to Eli and Camille's trips home, and the Lucian Alliance's ongoing attempts to fit in and earn themselves some trust.

At the top of the show this week we'll also talk about other big news in science fiction, including the greenlight for Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome and Tuesday's launch of the new Web series Riese! Tune in to hear what we have to say about all this and more.

Be a part of the discussion! Leave us a voicemail on the GateWorld Podcast Hotline by Saturday and share your thoughts on this Tuesday's new episode.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/1...sgus-pathogen/
                  Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-10-25.mp3
                  Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

Listener Question: What did you think of this week's new episode of Stargate Universe, "Cloverdale?"

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! Dial up the hotline by this Saturday and leave us a voicemail (any time, day or night). Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating in the show!
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

YAY!! new Podcast is out!! *off to download*
                    sigpic

Comment

Going to iTunes to download this right now...

Comment

About your guys Battlestar discussion suggesting a sequel set in our time about the next cycle. My thought since the end of BSG is that we've already seen a sequel in our time. It's called Terminator.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                          About your guys Battlestar discussion suggesting a sequel set in our time about the next cycle. My thought since the end of BSG is that we've already seen a sequel in our time. It's called Terminator.
                          and skynet actually had a plan
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

listening to the Podcast right now.
                            sigpic

Comment

I never watched one single minute of SGU but I really enjoy every new podcast!
                              You guys rock!!
                              sigpic

Comment

I guys, I have think about your BSG and Caprica thoughts.You two are right, prequels are boring 9 time out of 10. We know how the whole story end and why everything was what it was, so no point in telling prequels for me.

Spin offs are better, ever think about the cool connection BSG could make with Terminator and Matrix? I now three different franchises, but if you think about the story with the Cylons, first they became ruler on our earth,than try to kill us all of (Terminator), but their plan did not end well so instead of killing us they make us part of their machine system (Matrix).
                                That would be a perfect connection between those three story lines, what do you think about that?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X