This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SGU S1

Greatest strength: A very strong cast, chock full of established movie stars and fresh faces that have all stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park from episode 1.

Greatest weakness: Like Atlantis, we haven't seen much of the ship. I realize this is a practical limitation of the studio space, sets and resources they have available, but it still waters down the series when they have to rely on interpersonal drama to the detriment of exploring the ship or much actual sci-fi with spacewalks and the like. "Light", with the whole shuttle sequence was a nice exception. At least the sets are beautifully intricate, dark and I love the falling vapor effect that gives it a steam-punk look and feel. Also, the tension has been raised to the level that we forget that the show mostly consists of people in standing sets talking(a la BSG). Related to that quibble is the fact that of the few planets they have visited, most have mostly been created in a studio, versus shooting on location. Then again, every planet SG-1 went to looked like British Columbia, so maybe this is a good thing. Still, I never believed for one instant of Time or Water that there wasn't a stage wall behind all those plants or that the ice wasn't just a foam-covered set.

Comment

Now Available:
      Episode #95 - SGU Season One Recap

The freshman season of Stargate Universe is complete! In this week’s podcast, GateWorld’s Darren and David will look at the first year of SGU as a whole and discuss what we thought worked. How did the second half of the season compare to the first half? Character drama, alien threats, separation from home, communication stones, and more — it’s all on the table as we dissect Season One and decide if it lived up to our own expectations.

But first, we’ll also be talking about the news of writer-producer Robert C. Cooper’s departure from Stargate.

If you are a fan of Doctor Who, stick around after the show for a bonus discussion! Darren has picked three episodes for David to watch, and this week David will give us his newbie take on the show and whether he’s been convinced to keep watching.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...son-one-recap/
      Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-06-23.mp3
      Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: What do you think of the Stargate SG-1 episode "2010?" Aside from the whole "invasion by attrition" thing, are we better off now in the Stargate universe than we were with the Aschen?

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating in the show!
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Saw that the podcast was up, and I downloaded from the Zune Marketplace, problem is it's only 12 mins long? I'm guessing that was a mistake, since the link on the main page for the podcast is gone now.
        "Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties.
        Three fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!."

Comment

And now it's... gone? And the mp3 cuts off after twelve minutes?
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Have dl-ed the podcast to listen to, but had a little cheat and skipped to the end to hear David's thoughts on Dr Who
            I'm completely unsurprised at David's opinion - Dr Who is easily dismissed by newcomers. I know I thought it was campy trash for the first few episodes, but it works its way in and then blows your mind *evil* It's like the original UK "Life on Mars" (which took 3 or 4 eps to get into and then developed a full blown addiction to ), what is it about some of these UK shows?!
            I hope David gives it a go sometime, altho having met David I'm not sure I think it will ever be his cup of tea. That's not a negative thing, just some things work for some people and sometimes they don't

(PS, am with you on Farscape, I keep meaning to watch it but never have )
            (PPS, altho you never know, I never thought I'd love Firefly, but I totally did!).

Comment

If you downloaded the podcast within the first couple of hours and it cuts off at 12 min (the file is only 11 MB), please delete it and re-download. Thanks!

Comment

I downloaded the podcast when it cut off at 12min so I deleted it, but iTunes will not re-download it.
                sigpic

Comment

They got the style of Daniel's glasses right in 2010. Nice hipster frames. lol

Comment

David, since you liked Blink, you'll probably enjoy the current season of Doctor Who with Matt Smith as the Doctor. Since the regime change from RTD to SM, they've dialed down the camp and it's a much darker and more adult-oriented series as a result.

Also, the Weeping Angels are back!

FWIW, the last full season(or "series" as they say in the UK) with David Tennant and the '09 specials are also a bit darker. You might wanna view some of them too, so you'll know who Dr. River Song is.

I think the success of Torchwood had an effect on the tone of its parent series.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                      I downloaded the podcast when it cut off at 12min so I deleted it, but iTunes will not re-download it.
                      Find Gateworld Podcast in the iTunes Store and download the episode manually. It worked for me.

Comment

I tried to download it manually from the iTunes store all it would let me do is listen to it right then and there it wouldn't let me download it Oh well I listened to it at least.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire_Jade View Post
                          I tried to download it manually from the iTunes store all it would let me do is listen to it right then and there it wouldn't let me download it Oh well I listened to it at least.
                          try right click delete it from itunes and then re download it
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

i have to say, first time I listened to a podcast... but I liked it and I agree to most of the things you said...
                            sigpic

Comment

Now Available:
                              Episode #96 - 2010: Then and Now

The GateWorld Podcast goes back to the past in this week’s show, taking a look at the SG-1 Season Four episode "2010" and the way the first decade of the century had played out in that alternate timeline. But wait! Now it is 2010 … so how does the past decade really compare, within the Stargate universe?

We'll talk about the friends we lost, public knowledge of the Stargate, the stability and technology provided by the Aschen, President Kinsey, and more. And we'll ask listeners if you think we are better off now than we were before SG-1 changed the timeline.

Show Notes: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/0...-then-and-now/
                              Direct Download: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/med...2010-06-30.mp3
                              Feed: http://www.gateworld.net/podcast/itunes_podcast_rss.xml

This Week's Listener Question: How do you think Stargate and LOST are alike, and how are they different?

Leave a voicemail on the hotline or e-mail us a brief voice recording!

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Give us your thoughts on this week's episode, speculate on what's going on or what's to come in the show, or talk about anything Stargate-related that is on your mind.

Dial: (951) 262-1647 (long distance rates apply)

... or e-mail a brief recording to webmaster (at) gateworld (dot) net.

Thanks to everyone for listening and participating in the show!

Comment

Great show guys!

LOVE the fact that you had U2 at the start....

S'n'T
                                "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
                                Sara O' Neill's father;
                                COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Working...
                                X