No announcement yet.

I hate the term "fanwank"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

......never heard of the term 'fanwank'...

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
      I have never heard of it either but apparently it means different things to many different people.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
        LOL. I hadn't either until I saw this thread and I went OMG cause the term has a sexually explicit meaning in many parts of the States!
        sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          Boy, as always misquoting and exaggerating...
          Where's that lovely pot/kettle smiley someone recently posted

Who said anything about general criticism being bad?
          If you are saying it's bad of people to criticise stuff in a way that you dislike, we're not far off that...

My problem is with canonized plots created by tptb being referred to as "fanwank."
          It depends on people's view of where canon ends and supposition, speculation and, yes, fanwank, begins.

But if you do have a problem, perhaps it'd be more productive to make your agument where it's relevant, instead of a general vague assertion that you don't like it. There's lots of things here that people don't like, they don't all need a thread for vague general complaints about vaguely-defined behaviour from other fans

And in an equally immature attempt to out-obnoxious/condescend to you...
          For some reason you seem to be wanting to get personal. Not sure why, but drop it, you know the rules here.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            I dunno, I've always thought fanwank refers more to the mad ideas fans have that - at least on the surface - no dignified writer will ever do, for example all those "bad guy X vx. badguy y" threads or "what ship is better" etc.
            And yet didn't one of TPTB say something about getting the idea for the Teal'c vs. Ronon thing from a thread on Gateworld? Granted, Teal'c and Ronon aren't bad guys (not in this universe, anyway) but still... Of course, maybe he was just kidding and that was just a coincidence. Wouldn't be the first time.

As for mad ideas, I think TPTB have had their share, too, but you're right; fandom's full of it. I mean them. Mad ideas. Some of them right here in this thread.

Comment

huh 3 years and i've never once heard that term on this forum
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                What term do you prefer for "made-up stuff that fans use to fill in holes in canon"?
                Ummmm....MSTFUTFIHIC? Too clunky?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                  You're totally right in all of what you said there. But as the saying goes, "With great power comes great responsibility." For such a technologically advanced people, they are woefully lacking in tact, gratitude, and the ability to blame themselves when they are at fault.
                  As far as gratitude goes, well giving all of their most current technology and an easy to use database which contains the sum total of their races existence, despite some protestations of some asgard. I'd call that gratitude. They also helped us build the first 305s.
                  Plainly the Asgard were the best friends we've ever had, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                    Ummmm....MSTFUTFIHIC? Too clunky?
                    fan-onanism............

fananism?
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                      fan-onanism............

fananism?
                      Fangasm. Seems a natural alternative to wanking.

I could come up with something more accurate, but it'd be rude and insulting and would likely offend people so I'm not going to say it. Besides, fangasm is more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        Fangasm. Seems a natural alternative to wanking.
                        surely that would be the result of fananism? the 'asm' is a post state of the 'ism'
                        thats how it works for me anyway

the 'asm' could be used for when its spewed on the forum
                        sigpic
                        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                        -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                        X