why don't they just build more ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why don't they just build more ships?

I still don't understand one thing about stargate sg1. Why didn't they ever build any ships given the knowledge that they had had about building ships and gliders that could go into space? They could have easily done it. So why didn't they? They could have seen how to do it via the ha tac and the alkesh. I don't know why they didn't do it. Why didn't they go and build heaps of other ships like Prometheus besides the reason of money?

(i know there is one in SGA2) but besides this point in the brackets.

Give me some reasons why they didn't

Well first of all the reason of money is a pretty big issue - those things aren't going to be cheap. There is also the issue of resources. It's not like building a new aircraft carrier or war ship - the spaceships are secret so I imagine they would have to do a lot of creative ordering to get hold of the resources needed to build one, let alone more.

I imagine it would pay to wait a bit as well. The longer you can put off building one the better the technology available.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie
      Well first of all the reason of money is a pretty big issue - those things aren't going to be cheap. There is also the issue of resources. It's not like building a new aircraft carrier or war ship - the spaceships are secret so I imagine they would have to do a lot of creative ordering to get hold of the resources needed to build one, let alone more.

I imagine it would pay to wait a bit as well. The longer you can put off building one the better the technology available.

Yes, nice point but couldn't they just find some supplies of world? There are many planets out there that are ready to trade. This could be a huge tactical advantage so they would have done anything necesary.

Comment

The whole first few seasons was mainly about them trying to find worlds to trade with for resources and technology to enable them to fight the Gou'ald. Although they obviously managed to find enough to keep the pentagon happy they never really seemed to have that many successfull trading alliances. Either the planets where more advanced and wouldn't really trade properly with them, or they were less advanced and they either got chased off (ie no trade) or probably did set up trading alliances with a few of them. But if you think about the amount of planets they have alliances with there might not be a huge number of them. Also no planet is going to allow the SGC to strip mine it and take all their resources so I don't see the SGC having immediate access to that much raw material that it would allow them to build multiple ships immediately.

Not all alliances they made are going to be for metals and technology either - in season 1 in the episode Emancipation the SGC seemed to be more interested in their medicines. Also in Spirits they were only going to be allowed to take the small amount of trinium that washed down from the mountains that the Salish didn't need. It wasn't going to be a large amount.

Many of the planets they go to seem to be kind of tribal in nature as well - one person/group rules over an area and the neighbouring 'state' is ruled by others - it might mean that even if they have a trading agreement with a planet it might be only in a specific area of it not the whole planet, meaning that the they won't be trading for a whole planets resources only that 'kingdoms'.

Anyway, hope that all made sense. What I'm trying to say is that realistically its not going to be as easy as you think.

also apart from the bits of technology the Asguard have allowed them to add to their ships the earth spaceships don't really seem that advanced compaired to what else is out there.
        sigpic

Comment

These are all great points!! But what about all the other unhabited planets or even the ones that wre abadoned? Surely there would be something there? (i know this is kind of basic!)Try and get out of that one mousie!!!

Comment

OK lol I accept your challenge.

I agree that it would be a good idea in principle but in practice it might be quite hard. I don't claim to know anything about mining but i imagine any large scale mining operation would need some fairly heavy duty machinery and support services to process the ores. That is a big undertaking and would probably be too large scale to run via the SCG and through a stargate (The machinary probably wouldn't fit through). That means that they would probably have to assign a ship to scout out a suitable planet, one with sufficient desirable resources but one that is uninhabited and relatively safe for them to operate off of.

Although the universe is infinite meaning there are probably tons of planets out there how many would fit the bill and not be located in occupied territory?

Whilst it's a worth while pursuit I think it would be more a long term operation that wouldn't have immediate effect on the ship construction programme. After all they have to find a suitable planet (maybe not that easy), plan a base there, find a suitable company to run the operations there (I doubt the SGC would be able to man it themselves as they don't have any experience running and operating mining units) that means contracts have to be exchanged, secrecy papers to be signed by each person involved. They would have to involve ordinary non SGC humans to work in the mines, and assign teams to protect/train them on off world proceedures. Also if the input/output is too large for the SGC to cope with they would have to assign a ship to ferry stock and product back and forth - loosing the use of another ship (inc the one going back and forth to Atlantis). Could they leave the planet unprotected and hope they aren't discovered by an ememy or assign a ship to orbit the planet perminantly to offer space protection?

This has kind of been discussed before - someone made a very good point in saying why hadn't a ship gone after that huge asteriod packed with Naquahdah from Fail Safe.

I know ultimately even a small scale mining op. would yeild results but I still don't think it would make much difference to them building ships.
            sigpic

Comment

BRAVO BRAVO, ENCORE, ENCORE. Nice work mousie i applaud you! WELLDONE!!!!! Are you from Australia?

Comment

Nope good old Blighty.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie
                  Nope good old Blighty.
                  this maybe a new thread but i'll give u first bite!

Why didn't america just tell the rest of the world about the stargate?

I know that the rest of the world may want the stargate but then everyone would be able to pitch in. There would be no secrets and Earth would be united. By being united Earth would have new and more troops that could be just as good as sg1. They would have better resources and more money. This would be better for Earth's well being. Is it america's stubberness?(no effence intened to americans. Sorry if any is comprehended). If they had told people then Earth would be better off and possibly in a better possition.

Comment

Well yes money is an issue, but look what happened when they tried to make a glider like ship(I think it was the X-301) after how many years of using the Stargate, can you imagine what would have happened if they tried earlier. I mean Jack and Teal'c nearly died.

Another thing is they needed help constructing them as in how they work etc. and they definately need help with their weapons. I mean we still have really crappy weapons even though we are now beginning to make ships properly.

We need help from the Asgard. There weapons are amazin and would really help us against the Ori. If you watch New Order, you will see the power of their weapons when the Replicator ship leaves hyperspace. If we had that power, we would definately be able to take the war to the Ori (thats if we had enough ships )

Comment

Not to step on anyone toes, but the name of the series is Stargate not Star Trek. Not to sound condisending, but Stargate travel is the driving force behind the show. If Earth had more ships and all were fighting the Ori, an episode would have to be a lot more similar to Star Trek. Besides, I think the fact that Earth doesn't have a bunch of ships makes the show more interesting. That and Earth has already built 4 ships since season 6 and 2 have been destroyed already.

The only thing that bothers me about the Earth ships is the size. Look at Camelot and Flesh & Blood, when you see Earth ships next to the Asgard and Jaffa/Lucian Alliance/Ex-Goa'uld ships , we are dwarfed. Instead of making more ships I think Earth should make bigger ships.

Comment

Originally posted by VLADMIRE
                        Not to step on anyone toes, but the name of the series is Stargate not Star Trek. Not to sound condisending, but Stargate travel is the driving force behind the show. If Earth had more ships and all were fighting the Ori, an episode would have to be a lot more similar to Star Trek. Besides, I think the fact that Earth doesn't have a bunch of ships makes the show more interesting. That and Earth has already built 4 ships since season 6 and 2 have been destroyed already.

The only thing that bothers me about the Earth ships is the size. Look at Camelot and Flesh & Blood, when you see Earth ships next to the Asgard and Jaffa/Lucian Alliance/Ex-Goa'uld ships , we are dwarfed. Instead of making more ships I think Earth should make bigger ships.
                        True about the first part, but it would be better if we had more, I mean we still use the Stargate.

And size isnt really an issue here, as long as we have room for our weapons and personnel, etc. hen it is ok. What we need to work on is our weapons. We need energy based weapons istead of our crappy weapons that dont seem to do any damage to anything these days

Comment

Yes but your missing the point mate. Do u think the goa'uld would stop attacking people by space ship if they new that it is stargate not star trek? Earth needs to defend themselves against their enemies and that means building ships because that is what the enemy is doing and we need to match it if we are going to survive.

Comment

We also shouldn't make bigger ships just because they don't look good infront of other more advanced ships. We need to go at our own speed slowly and steadily. We need to do it slowly so they can be precise.

Comment

I'm not trying to say Earth doesn't need ships for defense and exploration purposes. I didn't explain myself properely in my last post. I'm just saying I don't want to see Stargate become a ship oriented show.

I do agree with the fact that they need better weapons. Missles and machine guns on a space ship just doesn't seem right. I think Earth's best bet would be to find a way to incorporate the Ancient's drone technology into the ships. I'm sure there are plenty of planets out there in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies with abandoned Ancient outposts similar to the one in Antartica. Should be able to find stockpiles of drones out there.

As for the size of the ships, it is not because they don't look good infront of other ships. I believe the current size allows for only 8-10 F-302's.
                              I think Earth ships need to have a couple of squadrons worth on board. A few massive dog fights in space would be cool. Also, increasing the size might make putting better weapons onboard easier. Bigger ships mean more room for a bigger power sourcer for energy based weapons, assuming Earth can design and build it's own energy based weapons. Although I don't know how much good they would do considering energy based weapons don't have much of an effect on Ori ships.

Comment

Working...
                              X