T.S.G.D. The Stargate Defenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in.

But I've always had this "non-existant" sig (just like my avatar, which I won't change even when I attained 2000+ posts), so I'm keeping it as is.

I'll be incognito.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
      I'm in.

But I've always had this "non-existant" sig (just like my avatar, which I won't change even when I attained 2000+ posts), so I'm keeping it as is.

I'll be incognito.
      It's ok. We'll all know you're part of the group.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I will join. I agree. the show has been on for ten seasons and I dont see why it shouldnt be on for a lot longer.

Spoiler:

Originally posted by penguininablender
        hey Fordies, log time no see. sorry i have not been on in a while. I was In a very bad car accident ( my VW bug was hit by a 46000 lb dump truck who ran a red light). I have just regained some use of my right hand and can barely type. I just missed y'all so much that I had to check in. I will try to come back t my fordies when I can type with more that just a thumb and a pointer,lol. Long live FORD!
        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
        OMG... so glad to hear that you are getting better... my positive energy is with you in hopes of a full recovery... Peace and Love.

- RSF

http://www.petitiononline.com/FORD/petition.html Sign the petition to bring back Ford!

Comment

I will join. I agree. the show has been on for ten seasons and I dont see why it shouldnt be on for a lot longer.
          Hey, the more the merrier.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm in. I agree that TFOSGD as far as acronyms go is too long, and makes little sense.

Anything to keep SG-1 on is fine by me. Hey, perhaps you could all spam the NZ television Networks and get them to air season 9 and 10 here!
            An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I myself am a science fiction writer, so I am quite picky about my sci-fi. So very often, I see horribly done shows that just make far too many leaps of faith as far as science is concerned (fiction with some bad science, not science fiction).

Stargate is very well done from my perspective as a writer (they do these things well):

1) TPTB understand the true purpose of Deus Ex Machina: it works very well on the side of the baddies, not the good guys. Examples from season 9 and 10:
              Spoiler:
              Giant stargates, planet envoloping force fields, invulnerable starships, single-shot ship kills, god-like beings with super powers to lead the invasion, etc. (spectacularly over-powered stuff: it puts the fear of God in the characters)

2) If you're going to put Deus Ex Machina on the side of the good guys, it's got to be some device they barely understand, which is likely taken away/disabled/runs out of power shortly after. If you introduce "magic" bullets that kill the bad guys, the bad guys are going to figure out how to avoid them/they require some special materials to make/etc. TPTB use this alot, but not too often. It's almost always a one-shot deal that just barely saves their lives in the nick of time.

3) Good villians have to be people you love to hate and/or sympathetic mislead figures you hate to see the good guys hurt (A.K.A. good guys on the wrong side). Examples: the Gou'ald (Evil, love to hate), Jaffa (sympathetic and/or love to hate), the Ori (pure EVIL/love to hate), the Ori's followers (sympathetic and/or love to hate).

4) You're never quite sure the baddies are dead!

5) Season 9 and 10 keep making me go, "Oh crap!" and "Eeeee!" for the main characters.

6) The good guys are the underdog! Makes me worry about them.

This list appeals to me as a guy:
              1) I need (should this be want?) flashy special effects in my favorite shows. I get this in spades with Stargate.

2) The main characters carry powerful firearms.

3) Explosions.

4) BIG Explosions and C4.

5) Nuclear explosions.

6) "Multi-Gigaton Warhead"

7) Exploding stars.

8) Exploding star systems.
              Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42
                I myself am a science fiction writer, so I am quite picky about my sci-fi. So very often, I see horribly done shows that just make far too many leaps of faith as far as science is concerned (fiction with some bad science, not science fiction).

Stargate is very well done from my perspective as a writer (they do these things well):

1) TPTB understand the true purpose of Deus Ex Machina: it works very well on the side of the baddies, not the good guys. Examples from season 9 and 10:
                Spoiler:
                Giant stargates, planet envoloping force fields, invulnerable starships, single-shot ship kills, god-like beings with super powers to lead the invasion, etc. (spectacularly over-powered stuff: it puts the fear of God in the characters)

2) If you're going to put Deus Ex Machina on the side of the good guys, it's got to be some device they barely understand, which is likely taken away/disabled/runs out of power shortly after. If you introduce "magic" bullets that kill the bad guys, the bad guys are going to figure out how to avoid them/they require some special materials to make/etc. TPTB use this alot, but not too often. It's almost always a one-shot deal that just barely saves their lives in the nick of time.

3) Good villians have to be people you love to hate and/or sympathetic mislead figures you hate to see the good guys hurt (A.K.A. good guys on the wrong side). Examples: the Gou'ald (Evil, love to hate), Jaffa (sympathetic and/or love to hate), the Ori (pure EVIL/love to hate), the Ori's followers (sympathetic and/or love to hate).

5) Season 9 and 10 keep making me go, "Oh crap!" and "Eeeee!" for the main characters.

1) I need (should this be want?) flashy special effects in my favorite shows. I get this in spades with Stargate.

3) Explosions.

5) Nuclear explosions.

7) Exploding stars.

Nicely said, that is exactly why the show still has a lot more life in it yet. I have yet to see the show "Jump the Shark" (term for when a show is pulling at straws just to stay on the air)
                btw...thanks a lot, I read your sig and choked on my Diet coke from laughing.

Spoiler:

hey Fordies, log time no see. sorry i have not been on in a while. I was In a very bad car accident ( my VW bug was hit by a 46000 lb dump truck who ran a red light). I have just regained some use of my right hand and can barely type. I just missed y'all so much that I had to check in. I will try to come back t my fordies when I can type with more that just a thumb and a pointer,lol. Long live FORD!
                Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                OMG... so glad to hear that you are getting better... my positive energy is with you in hopes of a full recovery... Peace and Love.

- RSF

http://www.petitiononline.com/FORD/petition.html Sign the petition to bring back Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42

Spoiler:

3) Explosions.

5) Nuclear explosions.

7) Exploding stars.

I love all the blowing up as well ha ha however the fact that you are writer peaks my interest. Lots of the anti season 9 and 10 "fans" are saying that not only the Special effects and acting are going downhill but the writing is going downhill. What do you think about that? personally I think it is better than ever, different granted but not any worse than the early seasons.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nicely said, that is exactly why the show still has a lot more life in it yet. I have yet to see the show "Jump the Shark" (term for when a show is pulling at straws just to stay on the air)
                    btw...thanks a lot, I read your sig and choked on my Diet coke from laughing.
                    I don't get the sig. Is it some kind of reference?

By the way, 200th post!
                    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                    -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                      I love all the blowing up as well ha ha however the fact that you are writer peaks my interest. Lots of the anti season 9 and 10 "fans" are saying that not only the Special effects and acting are going downhill but the writing is going downhill. What do you think about that? personally I think it is better than ever, different granted but not any worse than the early seasons.
                      Blowing up stuff is all good, but who cares if there aren't great characters doing/being victims to the blowing up and having good reasons for it.

Ascendedancient42, what kind of stuff are you writing? (If you want to mention it, not everyone always likes to say.)

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                        Blowing up stuff is all good, but who cares if there aren't great characters doing/being victims to the blowing up and having good reasons for it.

Ascendedancient42, what kind of stuff are you writing? (If you want to mention it, not everyone always likes to say.)
                        I agree and I believe Sam, Mitchell, Daniel, and Teal'c among others are all great characters. I don't believe tptb would be foolish enough to blow something up for some dumb reason so we are safe there.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
                          I'm in. I agree that TFOSGD as far as acronyms go is too long, and makes little sense.

Anything to keep SG-1 on is fine by me. Hey, perhaps you could all spam the NZ television Networks and get them to air season 9 and 10 here!
                          lets have at it
                          SAVE SG-1
                          www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                          Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                            Different is good, at least for a TV show.

The writing is the best I've ever seen on the show (or any sci-fi show, for that matter), and believe me, that's very high praise coming from me. I'm incredibly picky about that one.

Because I'm a writer, I have an almost intuitive ability to predict where the plot-line is going, which causes me to become bored easiliy. Stargate surprises me. In nearly every episode. They almost always go a different direction from the expected one.

The people complaining about the writing have probably (note the emphasis) never sat down and tried to write sci-fi. It's not the easiest genre, because there are so many fantastic (scientific) elements. Balancing those elements properly, without BSing your way through the science takes creative talent and intelligence. The Stargate writing staff has both of those in just the right mix. Too much creativity and you should write something else. Too much intelligence and you may as well write those horrible text books no one understands, instead of sci-fi.

I think another reason they're complaining is that they love Jack/RDA too much. I live by this philosphy in life (among many others): if you love someone, let them go. Sure, I like Jack, but I'm not so attached to him that I hate Cameron/BB. New blood is a sign of health for the show. Would you rather have SG1 without Jack, or not at all?
                            Mammals suck!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42

BTW, I think the characters on SG1 and SGA are awesome, especially Daniel. How many times has he avoided death, anyway? If it's less than nine, he must be some kind of human-cat hybrid.

Disclaimer: I'm not published yet, but I have placed very high in an international contest previously; the step right before prize money.

I'm not going to give away my pen-name, because the only connection I want between my real name and my pen-name is a pay check, but here's a little summary of a recent piece:

Some high school-aged geeks, and their bully, find a crashed alien ship. All kinds of hilarity ensues when the "dead" alien pilot gets up and starts insulting them for shoving him in a freezer (to preserve the "corpse"). The fun bit is, he's got a brittish accent, because he learned English by telepathically probing a Brit's mind (though I never got around to explaining that part). Eventually, they realize he's a stand-up guy (though a little miffed at them) and they decide to help him fix his ship. This gets them in huge trouble with the Air Force (they're the villian of the story, because they want to do the usual cover-up and this version of them does use lethal force to back it up).

If you want to read something I've written that's actually attached to my real name, have a look at this file: http://deimosproject.sourceforge.net...%20project.rtf

I just uploaded the newest version (I haven't worked on it for a few weeks, been busy with other stuff). It's the introduction story for a game I'm building. Please remember it's not finished (second partial rough draft) and may have plot holes and such. If you notice any errors/flaws please email me or PM me. Please don't bother me with grammar and spelling stuff; that's the last step of my writing/editing process.

If you want to check out the partial game engine I've built or learn more about the project in general, visit this URL:
                              http://deimosproject.sourceforge.net/
                              Last edited by ascendedancient42; 17 July 2006, 07:39 AM.
                              Mammals suck!

Comment

ascendedancient42, I like the summary. I can't get to the deimos project one because you I don't have OpenOffice installed on FreeBSD yet, can you translate it to HTML?

One more thing, what's your sig? Why do mammals suck?
                                Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                                Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                                -Audioslave

Comment

Working...
                                X