Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you guys watch Sci-fi I do not mean the channel but the genre

The reason why I watch sci fi.

The reason I watch Startrek and or stargate sci-fi is because they have techno blabble but most of if not all is base on our current understanding of phisics but bit further stretch out and what our phisics could perhaps reach in the future. That what makes star trek and stargate so interesting to me at lease. And infact for told some of our current technology. Like in the old star trek they portable communication devices aka mobile phones, even flip cover design was first enspire by star trek, or telepotation devices, which in theory can be done useing quantum entanglement and have been done but unfortantly only with protons and I believe with hydrogen atoms or in the near future with hydrogen atoms and so how long before they be doing it with humans may be the in century or couple. Creating a warp field have also been theorise by phisics and I believe been proven that it could basically be done through it far beyound our current technology. Altarnative realities and time travel both have basis in our phisics. Talking computer will prbably become part of every day lives in the twenty or so years. Androids and artifical intelligent beings will be prbably come in to being, neurals nets have been created, and that what data brain was base on a neural nets. That what got me interested in sci fi the fact that it is base on real world phisics and technology but is more develope and in use. So just because the techno blabbly does not mean anything to you it does not mean it does not mean anything.

Well you do not drown in techno blabbly in stargate it have just enough so we guest how things to work and well have argument on how things to work.

For me Star trek voyoger for some had way way to much techno blabble.
    Stargate SG1 just to right they explain just enough for you to understand how things and for us to guest how things work. And some times it even gets things wrong but we even argue about whether they actually got it wrong. I do not like Battlestar Galactica that much because it has none of the above
    and so we cannot guest what going on or how things work. Like how does their faster than like engines works, they seem to be fix just by turning a volve or how do the cylons hack their computer with out access to a communications, I am persuming that when their computers are network they keep their communication system seperate and so forth or they just dumb and connect it to their network. To me a bit of techno blabble is what makes scifi interesting and it what makes it different to other tv genres. Also is because they tend to lots of action and space battles too.

So why do you watch sci-fi

Personally, I'm not really sure. I've always been attracted to the genre for some reason. I think part of it is the awesome adventure, action, and interesting characters and environments Science Fiction often has to offer. Also, I love to get lost in the wonderous worlds and situations Science Fiction always presents. Hands down, Farscape and SG-1 are my two all-time favorite Sci-Fi shows.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

because it's sci fi.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
        because it's sci fi.
        Reason enough, eh?
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It beats reality tv.

But seriously, I'm not sure I would really be considered a full out science fiction fan. I am attracted to great stories of action, adventure with a little humor thrown in for good measure. Whether that takes place on another planet or in the next town over, it doesn't really matter to me. It just happens that a lot of good sci-fi fits that criteria for me.
          My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

You like technobabble? Wow, I freaking hate it.

As for why I like sci fi, well, "there are always...possibilities".

Comment

I don't really know why. It's just always appealed to me. The fantastic, the seeimingly fantastic yet plausible. Gets you out of the real world for awhile and lets you just imagine the possibilities.
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

In case you've never noticed science fiction has its way of eventually becoming science fact. Maybe not in the original way perceived, but it does, and I suspect, will continue to happen. We didn't put a man on the moon in the way it was portrayed in the earliest of times, but we have done it. (Unless you believe in all the conspiracy theories).

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I love adventure, action, intelligent drama, humor, mystery, suspense, character dynamics, the illusion of a better time and/or place, creative plots, unbelievable special effects, all which seem to come in a package called
                  "Sci-Fi".

I will watch other genres which will have some of these, but Sci-Fi seems to be the most fully realized of the characteristics that I require to be fully entertained. In my perspective, Sci-Fi is the only genre that still brings that sense of wonderment and awe in the search for knowledge and unity for mankind.
                  EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITIES, ONE STARGATE AT A TIME

Comment

Alternate universes are entertaining ......

Comment

Science fiction allows for escapism. Escape from the mundane, the depressions/stresses of real life, and it provides a great adventure to anyone who watches. Most of all, imo, it fires up our imagination.
                      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I watch for a whole multitude of reasons.

One - I'm a HUGE, MASSIVE Astronomy buff (how many seven year-olds read up on black holes in their spare time )
                        Two - I love the idea of going into space. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
                        Three - I love good writing...While there are some shows with really really bad writing (e.g. Lexx and shows like that) when you get one that's good written, it's amazing.
                        Four - it's outside of the box. It's not 'who's sleeping with who this week, or who's gonna kill who'...it's 'who's gonna save the earth, and who's gonna save the galaxy' It thinks BIG-GER!
                        Five - I love character studies, and I think in Stargate more than most, that we get to see how people who are just like us would react to finding out we're not alone. It's putting ordinary people into extraordinary settings, and the effects are amazing to watch.
                        Six - Stuff Blows up
                        Seven - I really do believe there's something out there. Sci Fi acts as a platform for our imaginations, so that we can perhaps visualise what other life and other world are like
                        Eight - Sci Fi humour is (normally) intelligent, and very entertaining
                        Nine - It's written with the audience in mind. To quote RDA "Don't dumb it down so a cow can understand it". They don't make it stupid (most of the time) and they listen to the fanbase, who they know are not thick.
                        Ten - I agree with Peoples General. It's escapism in the best form
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Sci-fi represents the possibilites of what could be. I love the action, adventure, the representation of equality, and the fun of it. I started out with believe it or not "Lost in Space" when I was 4 years old. Even the cartoons I watched were sci-fi "Space Ghost", "The Herculoids", "Jonny Quest", etc. Being a girl, those early sci-fi shows meant that I was stuck watching women and girls being around only to be rescued from the monsters, then came "Star Trek", wow, women actually carrying phasers and fighting. "Battlestar Gallactica" came along and women had to become fighter pilots. Think of how far we have come Sam Carter, brains, beauty, and can kick butt with the best of them. Seriously though, sci-fi is a great way to see issues brought out that most people do not want to talk about. However, under the disguise of science fiction prejudice, genocide, terrorists, etc. can be discussed without people becoming angry and upset.

Comment

Sci-fi represents the possibilites of what could be. I love the action, adventure, the representation of equality, and the fun of it. I started out with believe it or not "Lost in Space" when I was 4 years old.

I totally agree with that statement. I remember watch star trek Next generation and buckrogers when I four. I have always been fascinated by space. And yeah a lot of the stuff that they show in the nineteen sixties are coming true now and I am pretty sure that some of stuff that is showen in stargate will come true in the future. Most probably the holographic stuff they show us.

Comment

I love sci fi as a genre, and just always have.

What I love most about it is the way that it can be used to explore both what might be and also for exploring what has happened. It is a way of looking at our own society, posing questions and seeing where the answers take us.

The sorts of Sci Fi that are my favourites usually have the sci fi as almost incidental to the actual story. Thinking of the likes of 1984 by Orwell, Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick to name three.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X