No announcement yet.

Stargate Fandom Music Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gesture is not a music video, but everyone who has played Metal Gear Solid games should know what it is all about.
    Lammasliivi Productions - His past becomes our future
    Jaffa Troopers - No more slavery to false gods!
    Xbox Live: Paavi

Comment

^^im not sure, you have got me a bit worried but i think MGM dont really mind, loads of people, make vids so if MGM didnt like ti they would have done something about it by now me thinks, there more interested in those sites offering downloads than music vids

Comment

Originally posted by Hywel
        Hi everybody! I'm new to the world of Music Videos, and I have a question that may sound rather silly to you - are they illegal?

I really didn't consider them to be until researching hosting companies to see if I could afford to pay for some webspace, and this was in the T&Cs:
        Normally I couldn't care less - it's not like it's an entire movie, right? But the mention of that kind of money made me a bit wary. So does anyone have any advice about hosting music videos?
        Yep, they are illegal. Both on the mp3 and use of footage issues, to the best of my knowledge. I doubt MGM will make any issue of it (unless they get the issue brought to their attention), what I'd be more worried about would be the music companies who probably would not be happy. Not sure they know of this phenomenom though. If they did I think they'd target hosting sites first, and any body would probably get a cease and desist letter as a warning or the isp would just have to shut the site down. As a person I don't worry about it but I am aware it's technically illegal and in practice a grey area (I mean that in the sense no one has been taken to court in the Uk over making music vids for a show etc as far as I've heard, so there is no precedent set for the exact type of case).

Comment

As long as the creators of said vids are NOT making money on them, most studios and music labels are okay with them. As soon as someone starts trying to make a profit from them... watch out!

Comment

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
            As long as the creators of said vids are NOT making money on them, most studios and music labels are okay with them. As soon as someone starts trying to make a profit from them... watch out!
            I seriously doubt music labels are okay with them, it's sharing an mp3 even if its sharing it with video and for a different reason than usual. Music companies are seem to be taking the hard line of mp3 sharing in the US at least, IMO if they're not doing anything about fan music vids it's simply because they don't know people are doing this yet. Hopefully they won't realise, seems pretty unlikely any execs or people who'd make an issue would actually come across them - most people who would would probably be the people who enjoy them and wouldn't say anything. :fingers crossed:

Comment

I see, there are a lot of expired download links throughout this thread. That really blows, i would really, like to see some SG Music Vids, but it seems the best ones have got really bad hosting or/and the creators website is expired/down.

Many links from sites like Kahwoosh (Database of Music Videos) Etc work untill you want to download the actual file.

It would be great if people, could upload the music videos again, e.g many music videos at pages like yousendit.com have been expired.

Try www.putfile.com , upload as a video file, and people can stream/watch it straight off the host site, although we can't download it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinKTanK
                I see, there are a lot of expired download links throughout this thread. That really blows, i would really, like to see some SG Music Vids, but it seems the best ones have got really bad hosting or/and the creators website is expired/down.
                It is a shame. I often wish there was a site like kawoosh but with hosting. Thing is that would take up incredible bandwidth, even if people were only downloading vids once. It'd be great to have but the site would be a target for mgm and/or the RIAA (is that the right organisation? well you know, they guys who sue) and without donations the site would be expensive. I know of one good sounding webhost, Globat who do 20Gb storage and 400 GB bandwidth a month for $25 - bandwidth sounds nice but music vids eat up harddrive space. I think I've amassed a dvd's worth over last few months myself. Just not sure there's any place you can get hosting with enough storage and even more bandwidth.

I know a guy who said he's working on having an upload feature on his site, it's not there yet but he's probably willing to host vids if you can get them to him another way in the meantime. His site is Jeff's Stargate Music Vids.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                  I seriously doubt music labels are okay with them, it's sharing an mp3 even if its sharing it with video and for a different reason than usual. Music companies are seem to be taking the hard line of mp3 sharing in the US at least, IMO if they're not doing anything about fan music vids it's simply because they don't know people are doing this yet. Hopefully they won't realise, seems pretty unlikely any execs or people who'd make an issue would actually come across them - most people who would would probably be the people who enjoy them and wouldn't say anything. :fingers crossed:
                  I dont know, as long as we dont make money out of i, which i dont, then i dont think theres going to be a problem after all we must have brought a CD at sometime to have the track for the song, also if you credit the people who made the song, which I do, then i dont think theres a problem if there is then i will stop, but i dont see anything wrong with it, its my way of showing how much i love the show, i use to run a info site but got bored of it, VIDING IS MY LIFE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                    I dont know, as long as we dont make money out of i, which i dont, then i dont think theres going to be a problem after all we must have brought a CD at sometime to have the track for the song, also if you credit the people who made the song, which I do, then i dont think theres a problem if there is then i will stop, but i dont see anything wrong with it, its my way of showing how much i love the show, i use to run a info site but got bored of it, VIDING IS MY LIFE!!!!
                    Yes, you've bought the CD, but chances are most the people listening as well as watching the vid won't have - means you're sharing your copy with others and the music industry isn't fond of that no matter what the reason, and even if you're not making money it's still copy right infringement to use it in a vid and supplying it to others is still sharing the music even if it's got pretty moving pictures with it too.

Bottom line is it's illegal and while MGM etc can pretend it doesn't happen (unless they have it shoved in their face by a fan) the music industry are alot tougher and not so likely to be forgiving.

The video parts of the vid aren't exactly the same as supplying a whole episode but the music is generally exactly as you'd get if you bought it with only a slight reduction in quality. Maybe listening to a song in a vid would make people buy it etc, there are so many straightforward reasons for why music vids aren't a bad thing but mostly they apply to the show side, the goodwill of fandom helping the show along, and the music industry isn't likely to see the good things, only the bad breaking the law aspect - they don't get much out of it and they tend to see things in black and white legally.

No matter how nice you are and that you don't gain financially, any one who makes vids is breaking the law and it's naive to think they'll (the music industry) just let the issue go if they ever realise what's going on.

EDIT: Please don't think this is me having a go at vidders, because I vid myself and love doing it. I just think people need to be aware of the legality of doing it.

Vidding is no more legal than downloading episodes, or in essence writing fanfic (though that only involves MGM for SG and the fandom issues apply where they'd most likely never push the issue as long as they don't get any dodgy cases of it), but I don't think anyone will stop because of that.
                    Last edited by Purpleyin; 20 September 2005, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I went to the link for Jeff's videos..I really enjoyed them!! The question I have is what episode was used for the "Amish Paradise" video? I thought that it went well together! I would like to see more, just wish the vids at the beginning of the thread were active!
                      Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

Jeff's SG website now has a nice upload feature working and he's happy for others to put their vids on as long as they drop him an email about it first. Upload is here.

Comment

Very cool vids on Jeff's site! I think some of them I would have one a little different. For example, the "Symphony of Destruction" vid. I would have had shown the robot SG team when the song gets to the part about acting like a robot, and then shown the part where Robo-Daniel's head gets blown off when the song gets to "the head explodes." And the part about "You take a mortal man, watch him become a god" I would have shown one of the characters (Skarra maybe) before and after becoming a Goa'uld. Just some ideas.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by N8ball88
                            Very cool vids on Jeff's site! I think some of them I would have one a little different. For example, the "Symphony of Destruction" vid. I would have had shown the robot SG team when the song gets to the part about acting like a robot, and then shown the part where Robo-Daniel's head gets blown off when the song gets to "the head explodes." And the part about "You take a mortal man, watch him become a god" I would have shown one of the characters (Skarra maybe) before and after becoming a Goa'uld. Just some ideas.
                            Well I don't think Jeff is on GW, but his site does have a contact form, so you could always tell him all this that way. Otherwise he'll never know and never read your suggestions.

Comment

Anyone um... Willing to take me in?

I have... alot of vids... I mean it... Alot...

My sister has 10 though...

The place that currently hosts me has disabled my site because of too much bandwidth being used...

... Anyone?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                                Anyone um... Willing to take me in?

I have... alot of vids... I mean it... Alot...

My sister has 10 though...

The place that currently hosts me has disabled my site because of too much bandwidth being used...

... Anyone?
                                There's the site I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure he had a ton of bandwidth... Maybe you could upload your stuff and link to it from your normal webpage - just using the hosting. Worth asking Jeff anyway.

Otherwise I recommend you talk to the gracious Illman who hosts a load of vids on her streamload account.

Comment

Working...
                                X