Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you can be mean and steal bandwidth by just finding the images source.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
      Or you can be mean and steal bandwidth by just finding the images source.
      Thats not a nice thing to do

If the mods find out or someone tells them you are hotlinking directly you will get in trouble
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

I did say thatd be mean.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          You cant copy/paste

TW's method is best but it is possible to get a link without saving and reuploading if you transload the image http://imageshack.us/?uploadbyurl=yes

Right-click on the pic click properties copy the location and paste it into the box at the above url

Imageshack accounts dont have a great interface so its best to just store the links in notepad
          I used to copy and paste them all the time. It worked for me with every smiley I tried apart from one.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
            Here are some stargatey ones from SG Mods.com

To help you access the site, I've decided to post the link to the page:
            http://www.stargatemods.com/
            sigpic

Comment

Those are so cuuuute. Thanks for posting the links. I snurked some nice avatars for MSN from that scifiworld site. Now my MSN friends can suffer my stargate obsession even moreeee.... hehe

Minty
              Good night Atlantis, Good night crescent moon
              In all my years of searching, I am here...
              I've finally found you.

You can be whatever you want to be... in Atlantis!

www.atlantis-the-musical.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                I used to copy and paste them all the time. It worked for me with every smiley I tried apart from one.
                Yea, sometimes that will work, but the major problem with that is unless you put them in your own image account, the smilies remain on the sever where you found them and you end up stealing their bandwidth.

I'm sure most of you know this but just in case anyone is unfamilier with the concept of "hotlinking" here's what the deal is... Websites usually have to pay someone to host their site. Depending on the deal worked out, they usually only have a certain ammount of bandwidth, or web traffic, that is allowed per month before the site gets suspended for a while or the site designer gets charged a lot more. Every image and file that comes from a site works towards that bandwidth limit. If enough people are hotlinking (using their images without copying them to your own image host), it can cost a site big time.
                My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by contact2918
                  Yea, sometimes that will work, but the major problem with that is unless you put them in your own image account, the smilies remain on the sever where you found them and you end up stealing their bandwidth.

I'm sure most of you know this but just in case anyone is unfamilier with the concept of "hotlinking" here's what the deal is... Websites usually have to pay someone to host their site. Depending on the deal worked out, they usually only have a certain ammount of bandwidth, or web traffic, that is allowed per month before the site gets suspended for a while or the site designer gets charged a lot more. Every image and file that comes from a site works towards that bandwidth limit. If enough people are hotlinking (using their images without copying them to your own image host), it can cost a site big time.
                  Thx for telling me that, I had no idea that copying and pasting the smilies could contribute to that, I won't do it anymore.
                  Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  To help you access the site, I've decided to post the link to the page:
                  http://www.stargatemods.com//
                  I had a look on the site and can't find them, what are they under?
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link! You guys rock!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                      Save them, upload them to photobucket/imageshack and then use [img] tags
                      Thank you.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                        I had a look on the site and can't find them, what are they under?
                        It's in the option when you post on the forum. You'd have to sign up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sign up where?? which site, I ave been reading the posts in this thread but I have a terrible memory!

Comment

The ones I posted that are actual normal smilies, require you to sign up the website http://www.stargatemods.com/sgm/index.php
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the nice comments on my smilies
                              This is actually the only website where you'll be able to download all of them.
                              Soon, they'll be also available on www.stargate-ultimate.com
                              Also, there's some websites using a few of them on their forums, that's websites that have asked for permission (only if there's a link back on their site!).

And about the hotlink thing, I have to pay a lot of money to keep the hosting (that's why I put a Paypal Donate button on the pages), so usually the smilies are only 1 or 2Ko, so it's not a real problem if you direct link to 1 or 2 smilies sometimes. What could be a problem is if you do it everyday hundreds of time and if you do the same with other stuff from there. Smilies are Ok if you are reasonable. Wallpapers, avatars and the rest is not OK.

Originally posted by Erised
                              those smiley faces are horrible old system styles smilies.
                              Someone needs to make more 21 century looking ones
                              What are you calling 21st century smilies???
                              The purpose of smilies is to be light to load, fun and it's only a way to illustrate your mood or so. If you want bigger and more complicated "smilies", then your pages will take more time to load, more time to make them ... and not really fill in what they are supposed to be.
                              And you know if you think you can do better, just do it ...
                              Gilles
                              http://www.thescifiworld.net

Amanda Tapping interview
                              Ben Browder interview
                              Beau Bridges interview

Comment

Here are some that I made from gifninja.com by taking other people's gifs and making a few modifications (like using GW's Zelenka face).
                                Last edited by Hiccups; 20 September 2009, 07:49 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X