No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes, unpopular rules need to be enforced.
    And sometimes rules are unpopular for good reason.

In Los Angeles people are not permitted to drive a vehicle and talk on a cell phone at the same time. What about them? If an emergency comes up and they are caught in traffic in the middle lane, unable to pull over, then what? All of these ideas are subjective and and are up for debate. No one is right or wrong in these discussions. However, at the same time, we are also far too complacent as a society in what we allow other people to "get away with". Most of us would rather fume in silence then to "correct' those people who follow the "me first" policy. I, for one, do not sit in silence. If someone is being annoying, I assume they just don't realize that they are, and I politely let them know. I'm not attempting to be authoritarian or see myself as the police of social norms. I do know what is considered offensive to the majority, however.
    The main point for me is that there are far too many "me first" people out there who don't give a fig about bothering other people, interfering with equipment or following the rules. The last convention I went to was not as much fun as it could have been because a couple of "Drama Queens" decided they needed lots of attention from the Celebrities in attendance. The two women not only irritated many of the other fans, but the talent as well.
    So, since you brought it up -- did you speak to these "Drama Queens" to let them know that they were annoying?

Discodiva has said it best -- "basic ettiquette is seen by people in differing ways." The way I see it is that those who accuse others of behaving in a "me first" policy has reverted and made it about them. When you perceive someone to be thinking of only themselves and you feel it is your right to let them know how they have annoyed or irritated you, then you've made it about you. Your comfort was infringed upon so you let them know that. Every situtation is different and you have to weigh in your mind whether it's worth taking action or to just let it go. And is taking action worth probably getting the other person upset and getting beaten up over? Not everyone likes being told that they did something wrong even if you spoke to them in the most polite way possible.

Chelle_db
    Ha ha...funny!!! I don't think anyone was LITERALLY counting...it was obviously a slight exaggeration...lets not get too picky please...for the sake of some peace!!!
    It was my feeble attempt at humor which is why I did include the smilie.

Discodiva: As for Convention annoyances - well, like AG said, people who behave in an obnoxious "me, me, me" manner are just as annoying as the beep from a mobile phone...as are those, to me anyway, people who insist on constantly standing up in their seat to take photos or surreptiously raising themselves higher (usually with a bloody great flash attached) with no thought for the people behind them.....also extremely annoying are those who "whoop and holler" or constantly talk throughout the talents' panel or cabaret "turn" - I still haven't worked out why those "miaows" were needed either.
    Ah, THANKS -- it's so nice that someone actually read and remembered that post I added a few pages back!

I guess that basic ettiquette is seen by people in differing ways.....I'm old and was taught old fashioned (or should that be "out of fashion" nowadays ..) manners many years ago, my son although young, has learned from me and when he attended the 2006 Vancouver Con he was astonished as some of the "rudeness" he encountered from those much older than he and who should know better.....
    Manners are not nor will they ever be out of fashion.

I doubt you'll ever get through to those who are single minded enough to think that a Convention is all about their "needs" and no-one elses....you have a choice, grin and bear it as best as possible, complain to the organisers (but make sure you get your facts absolutely right) or thump the offender square on the nose!.........OK disregard that last one - although a few times I've felt like doing it....
    You can't retract that --- I like that idea. When all else fails, resort to violence.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJello View Post
      When all else fails, resort to violence.
      Sounds good to me.

"Drop the cell phone! Do it! Do it now!"
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

my favorite motto

hang the ****** phone up and drive

*makes more sense that way
        Last edited by Skydiver; 22 May 2008, 03:24 PM.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And sometimes rules are unpopular for good reason.

So, since you brought it up -- did you speak to these "Drama Queens" to let them know that they were annoying?
          Actually, yes, I did talk to them. I took both of them aside in an area where there would be no one to see me talking to them, so they wouldn't feel chastised. As a therapist, I have been trained to be tactful. I know how to tell someone they are doing something inappropriate. Unfortunately, for all of us at the con, the "Drama Queens" only paid attention to me for a few hours, then completely forgot what they had heard and were at it again. I don't think they were trying to be irritating to others, but that was the effect. The point, however, is that some people will listen, not realizing they are bothering someone, and other people won't pay any attention. At least I tried.
          Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

It was my feeble attempt at humor which is why I did include the smilie.
            Sorry...I wasn't trying to uhm...I hope I didn't come off snidely...I was just trying to diffuse the situation...just a bit...sorry!
            Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            my favorite motto
            hang the ****** phone up and drive
            *makes more sense that way
            If I'm driving and the phone rings I usually pull over or let it ring and call the person back when I can...on the odd occasion, I have answered it but told the caller that I am driving and would call them back. I have never had anyone yet who has had a problem with that...and that includes business callers too!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hear hear re the comment about whooping and screaming. What's the point except to burst eardrums?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                Hear hear re the comment about whooping and screaming. What's the point except to burst eardrums?
                I've never understood why some fans must scream like banshees. Ear-shattering noise. Usuallly right behind you. THe trouble is that no matter how many rules you make you always have fans who feel those rules do NOT apply to them for some inane reason. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  I've never understood why some fans must scream like banshees. Ear-shattering noise. Usuallly right behind you. THe trouble is that no matter how many rules you make you always have fans who feel those rules do NOT apply to them for some inane reason. Sigh.

Trust me, you ain't heard nothing till you've heard the cat miaiows.....

Deeds xx
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

How good is the security of the hotel room?

I would hate to have to leave a cel phone (or any other thing like a camera, laptop) in a hotel room that wasn't guaranteed secured. I've heard of hotel employees ignoring the "do not distrurb" signs and going in and cleaning up anyway. Last thing I would want to replace is a cel phone. Especially when driving more than 6 hours from home, which is something I plan on doing next April.

Granted mine is basic, but I also have voice mail for the reason of there are times it should be turned off, i.e movie theater, banking, doctor's office.

There are always people who think they are exceptions.

Comment

power it down, tuck it in your pocket, and no one will even know it's there
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

No promises you won't get strip searched at the door, though.

Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                          No promises you won't get strip searched at the door, though.

*Volunteers to do the strip searching*
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post

Deeds xx
                            I'm nervous to ask... but why are there miaows?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              *Volunteers to do the strip searching*
                              ...*cough...splutter splutter*...uhm...I think I'll just stay home and keep my clothes on....not so sure I really want to help anyone strip either!!
                              Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                              Deeds xx
                              I'm nervous to ask... but why are there miaows?
                              Hehe...I'm kinda nervous about the whole meowing thing too...as for the whooping and screaming...I'm not exactly a screamer but I do occasionally whoop and what not...you know...like homer Simpson...WooHoo!!!!!..or more like...WoooooHooooo...but I keep it to a dull roar once the crowd settles down...what can I say...my whole family is loud...it's genetic...but I do like to think I'm considerate of others and don't shout in their ears or make offensive noises and what not!!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                                ...*cough...splutter splutter*...uhm...I think I'll just stay home and keep my clothes on....not so sure I really want to help anyone strip either!!
                                Oh, I dunno, might be fun...

To quote Doctor Who "Partners in Crime" - You be health, I'll be safety...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X