Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    it will probaly be fine.

it all depends on the actor and his/her comfort level.

i've seen actors more than willing to sign a girl's bum (well the seat of her jeans) and i've seen others balk at signing an arm, so it varies.

jsut ask his/ her permission and you should be fine

would you happen to be talking aboout me?.....*grins*
    Stargate Pants Girl
    (a.k.a. Teryl's Pants Girl)
    Mak tal shree! Lo tak meta satak Oz!

Comment

I'm reminded of Gatecon 2003 during the photo session when the sessions were held up mainly so MS could go outside to smoke and have a beer more often than not. I didn't mind much since it gave me more time to chat and have fun with Corin Nemec and Peter Williams. Plus MS made it up to me by giving me a hug and kiss and asking me to hang around a bit to tell him about Chris' antics at DragonCon that year since he said, "Chris claims he doesn't remember anything..."

And for Gatecon 2004, I guess I missed it when Chris kept going for beer. He came right over and chatted/started crap with me like he always does when I meet him at cons. Of course I probably didn't help things considering I gave him a bottle of scotch as a gift. Maybe I'm an exception but I didn't feel the least bit slighted as a fan. But that's me. Other folks' experiences will vary.

At another convention later that year, Don S. Davis told me, "That was a drunken afternoon. Not for *me* though."

-- Foxy

Comment

What's the con ettiquette for a member of Admin on a discussion board (not Gateworld I hasten to add) locking a topic that's making a serious point, because she holds a grudge against some of SG-999?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

So far I've not been at all put off by Chris's drinking on stage (and he has at all the cons I've seen him at). I think it would be better if he didn't but he doesn't do anything that makes me uncomfortable. I have a very, very low tolerance for people who drink a lot if they act inapprorpriately as a result.

I think that if I was a con organizer though, I'd make sure that the guys had their partners and families with them! That might tone Chris down a little although I'm not too sure.

He's a great guy though, and totally lovable. I'd go see him at a con any day.
          sigpic

Comment

i can't say that chris offended me. but, in my time in the room, the constant need to wrangle him did slow down an already slow process.

that being said, he's a big boy, as are they all.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
              What's the con ettiquette for a member of Admin on a discussion board (not Gateworld I hasten to add) locking a topic that's making a serious point, because she holds a grudge against some of SG-999?
              Bru-tak do you mean on an online forum for the con? Or at the con itself?

I am surprised if something like that happens at a con itself. If it is on their forum, well it is their forum so they can run it however they like.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                I'd say it's not nearly as bad as starting two identical threads in two different places on the same forum with the sole purpose of "bugging," "bothering," and/or "badgering" a con organizer into doing something that's economically unfeasible just because 20 or so people want him/her to do it.

Or threatening said Admin - physically - and thinking it was funny.

Or running around to other forums pointing fingers and insinuating how "bad" said Admin is.

If anything that happened there had happened here on GW, I'd say odds are the thread would have been closed too. And what happened there had nothing to do with bad convention etiquette, unless you want to discuss how appropriate it is to handcuff someone, against their will, for making fun of a stuffed toy.
                ~bri~

Comment

DO: If you are ever having any problems at a con with anything, a guest, the entertainment, inappropriate behaviour... DO tell someone official. Tell a volunteer, tell an organizer, tell the head of the convention if you see them around.

If the person you talk to ignores you, or says they can't do anything about it, or seems too busy to do anything in that moment, or seems like they don't know what to do about it, find someone else to tell.

The convention organizers WANT to know if something is going wrong, and with Creation, I can tell you that they prefer to know during the convention at the time that it's happening rather than several weeks later when they can't do anything about it. So speak up!

And if whoever you speak to doesn't or can't help you or doesn't know how, you're not being a pain by finding someone else who can. And encourage others to do the same if you know they feel the same way you do.

FYI: The Vancouver Convention GateWorld Badge is here!

Comment

unless you want to discuss how appropriate it is to handcuff someone, against their will, for making fun of a stuffed toy.
                    Bloody hell! Cons have definitely changed some since my day!

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

okee dokee, sounds like whatever the topic is between Brutak and Brihana belongs elsewhere.

Let's drop that aspect of this thread please.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                        So far I've not been at all put off by Chris's drinking on stage (and he has at all the cons I've seen him at). I think it would be better if he didn't but he doesn't do anything that makes me uncomfortable. I have a very, very low tolerance for people who drink a lot if they act inapprorpriately as a result.

I think that if I was a con organizer though, I'd make sure that the guys had their partners and families with them! That might tone Chris down a little although I'm not too sure.

He's a great guy though, and totally lovable. I'd go see him at a con any day.
                        Hello all! I'm just jumping in here.. haven't read the whole thread yet.. but also in Chris' defense I believe he has ADD and so if he's really hyper and stuff that may be why too. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything i say!) Of course at the Creation Dallas con in Feb '05 he and Michael had been up all night drinking or something the night b4 their stage talks and the brunch and so Michael was really really tired, and Chris was super hyper.. I still wonder if he was still drunk that morning (j/k!) lol.. but yea, he told us he had ADD and he had been watching his drinking. I don't think they're alcoholics or anything! lol.. but yea.. that may help explain his energetic behavior

Also, I saw some things posted about slash's and etiquette when around the actors... I personally don't think it's appropriate to bring it up especially when they're doing stage talks/ q&a... that's just me, but at the end of a con i was at, the last question MS got was something about Daniel and Thor and it totally weirded him out and I heard people murmuring behind me.. just didn't seem real appopriate or a good way to end our time with him! It's cute to ask how so-and-so feels about someone or who they would like to have their character hook up with... but I just think we should all keep our calm and cool.. and remember respect and boundaries! (but hey, i've never gone up to ask a ?, so who am i to criticize..) I think it would be nice if the con organizers ran thru the questions people were going to ask b4 they got up to the mics.. just quickly so there aren't so many awkward pauses or stupid questions asked just so people can get up there to be up there... does any of that make sense

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
                        "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
                        www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          okee dokee, sounds like whatever the topic is between Brutak and Brihana belongs elsewhere.

Let's drop that aspect of this thread please.
                          You're absolutely right, Skydiver. It doesn't belong here, and I apologize.
                          ~bri~

Comment

I'm working my way through Aeryn Scully's Con do's and don'ts (so helpful/amusing) and I saw this...

Don’t be overly concerned with bringing a gift, they won’t remember who gave them what.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say I didn't even consider bringing a gift! Even though it's impossible for the actors to keep track of who gave them what, do a lot of fans still bring gifts? What kinds of things are considered appropriate?
                            Chleximpressed <--- by Kliggins

Comment

Don't give them bulky things, they have to get them into suitcases. Don't give them home-made food, they'll thank you effusively but later the con organisers will bin it on the grounds that the actress has already had her calorie quota for the day, or the actor doesn't like banana bread or whatever.

But things you *can* give? I dunno. I have trouble enough thinking of stuff to get my husband and siblings at Christmas. I've never given a gift at a con, but when I meet an actor at a signing I try and find something nice to say - why i liked the character she played, or a scene or episode that really impressed me. That always seems to make the actor happy (and interestingly while Main Actors might smile either broadly or just politely, bit-part actors and guest-of-the-week types ALWAYS give you a really genuine smile if you express appreciation). At the risk of sounding corny, appreciation's the best gift you can give.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                                At the risk of sounding corny, appreciation's the best gift you can give.
                                agreed... I honestly don't think giving an actual gift is as good as showing genuine appreciation for their work.. that's why they're there. not to get a teddy bear.
                                If people have gotten together and made a scrapbook or someone has a card or something like that, that's sweet. or a nice gesture if you know the person loves and collects teddy bears or glass figurines or something like that.. I think that's sweet & thoughtful. But just giving them a random gift won't mean as much, and depending on the person might even weird them out

My two best girlfriends have acted professionally and one is still very much an actress (she's gonna be a star! i know it! ) and I know what probably means the most to them is me being there at their performances, supporting them, and telling them what I think about their show and performance. Backing an actor up and saying "I love how you played this" etc.. could really end up meaning something special to them!

Goodness I've had some long posts!

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
                                "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
                                www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Working...
                                X