No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my personal opinion and I realize that everyone has different child care situations but if you have a two year old child and you know that the child will probably have a short attention span, try not to bring the child with you to the panel discussions. If the child does start to scream during a panel do not try to calm the child down in the room where everyone can hear both you and the child. Instead, take the child out of the room. If the actors comment about the child crying then you know the child can be heard by everyone.

Comment

My personal opinion on children at conventions is that any child under 5 or that is unable to sit through at the very least a movie, should probably stay at home with nanna.
      I have children myself and not only would I not take my children to a con under the age of 10 for the very reason that kids get bored rather quickly, but sometimes the language and topics of discussion may not be what you want your child to listen to.
      However...having said that, I do know of some children who have sat through conventions and have even asked the guests questions...I guess it's up to the parent but I do agree with your comment Sabrina about children who become fussy and upset during a convention...out of respect for everyone at the event...guests and attendees alike, taking the child out of the room would be greatly greatly appreciated.
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I really suppose it depends on the child.

A couple of my friends, Paul and Mandy Muir, have been taking their young daughter Laura (now aged 7) to conventions and whatnot since she was a baby.

To the best of my recall, they never had a situation where they had to take Laura out of a talk or anything because she started crying.

Mind you, the wee soul does have a lot of honorary Aunties and Uncles (including yours truly) to keep her entertained when her mum and dad need a break.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

my biggest beef:

honey, the rules DO apply to you. If it says 'don't video tape', then don't. If it says 'no gifts' then bloody well do NOT bring them.

rules is rules and they apply to all. and just because you as a fan think youi're special, in the grand scheme of the world. you probably aren't, so stop expecting special treatment just cause you think you deserve it.

And about kids....are you really bringing them cause you have no child care, or are you using them as a way to get an 'in' with the actor of your choice? cause i've seen a lot of that, parents using their child to get closer to the actor. and we all know what you're doing.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_lane03 View Post
            This is my personal opinion and I realize that everyone has different child care situations but if you have a two year old child and you know that the child will probably have a short attention span, try not to bring the child with you to the panel discussions. If the child does start to scream during a panel do not try to calm the child down in the room where everyone can hear both you and the child. Instead, take the child out of the room. If the actors comment about the child crying then you know the child can be heard by everyone.

Ah.....were you at Gatecon too?.....

It did get a bit "noisy" at the back at certain times.....

Deeds xx
            sigpic
            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              my biggest beef:

honey, the rules DO apply to you. If it says 'don't video tape', then don't. If it says 'no gifts' then bloody well do NOT bring them.

rules is rules and they apply to all. and just because you as a fan think youi're special, in the grand scheme of the world. you probably aren't, so stop expecting special treatment just cause you think you deserve it.

And about kids....are you really bringing them cause you have no child care, or are you using them as a way to get an 'in' with the actor of your choice? cause i've seen a lot of that, parents using their child to get closer to the actor. and we all know what you're doing.
              using kids as a 'tool'......that's soooo disrespectful, rude, irresponsible. etc...

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                using kids as a 'tool'......that's soooo disrespectful, rude, irresponsible. etc...
                I tend to agree. My sister took my niece to a con one year, but only because my niece simply adores the show and the characters... and my sister didn't realize just how "adult" the Q&As can get. To my sister's credit, though, my niece hasn't been to one since.
                ~bri~

Comment

my biggest beef:

Oh you're so right....but guess who'd be the first to complain when ALL cameras are banned at Cons because of the constant flouting of these rules....

Thankfully my "kid" was 18 before he attended his first Con and fingers crossed he behaved himself!!...

Deeds xx
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

If memory serves, I was 19 when I attended my first con.

The Glasgow Comic Art Convention, held in Glasgow City Chambers.

God I feel old now...
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

many times the 'do not bring cameras in' is not the con organizer's way to be nasty, it's part of their agreement with the actor. and if the actor says 'well all i'm contracted for are these photos, if people take more, you need to pay me more' then the con organnizers have to follow his/her suggestions

we have business meetings and we have times that we can/can't video tape because if we tape the speaker - especially one that makes his/her living as a speaker, they havve to be paid more

by and large, people DO obey the rules. And if you happen to have broken them, dude, have a brain cell and DON'T brag all across the internet about your 'success'. It'll just get you in trouble and - in a worst case scenario - get you banned from a future con
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

By and large, people DO obey the rules. And if you happen to have broken them, dude, have a brain cell and DON'T brag all across the internet about your 'success'. It'll just get you in trouble and - in a worst case scenario - get you banned from a future con.
                        Speaking of which...

A good friend of mine has been banned from any and all future events held by StarFury.

This was due to his inappropriate behaviour with a young lady, and getting into a fist fight with her boyfriend.

This is the same guy who got falling down drunk at a Dr. Who con last March, insulted the con organisers mother, and had to be poured onto his last train home by two members of the stewarding team.

I'm sorry that it's happened - when he's stone cold sober, my friend's a really great guy - it's just that he doesn't know when to stop drinking.

Frankly I'm surprised it's not happened sooner...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_lane03 View Post
                          Children really have no place being in a panel. Especially when they are quite young. I have a young child. I either find a sitter or I don't go to the Con. I do it out of respect for all the other fans who paid lots of money to heat the panel of guests, not my crying kid. Wish others would feel/do the same.

At the same time, the guests in the panel then feel obligated to censor themselves about what to say/talk about and that's not really fair either.
                          sigpic

Comment

Here! Here!

Another thing that happens over and over is fans coming through the autograph line to tell the actor about what disease they have, or their sister has, or their mother has, etc. I've spent years working next to actors on autograph lines and this happens to every single one of them.
                            Yes, the actor cares -- they really do. However, I have seen the emotional toll it takes on them. I've even had an actor have to take a break from signing because they were crying.

What the fan gets out of it is a hug. It makes them feel special. I understand that.

What the fan that does this doesn't realize is that it is a totaly selfish act on their part. They are "taking" from that actor. Plus there will be another person about 30 people back in the line that will do the same thing. Another 30 people after that will be another one.

I have become a very close friend of one of the Star Trek actors. After knowing them for a number of years I inquired as to why me? Why did I get to cross the line from fan to friend? Their answer -- because I didn't want anything. The first time that I approached them it was to tell them that they'd made a positive impact on my life.

The next time you feel the need to tell one of the actors about your misfortune -- ask yourself why you are doing it. If you're primarily doing it because it will get that actor to pay more attention to you than to the next person -- then don't do it.

If, on the other hand you have something to tell them about how they inspired you to accomplish things in life - that's giving, not taking. You're giving them thanks. No one can ever hear too much of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                              Children really have no place being in a panel. Especially when they are quite young. I have a young child. I either find a sitter or I don't go to the Con. I do it out of respect for all the other fans who paid lots of money to heat the panel of guests, not my crying kid. Wish others would feel/do the same.

At the same time, the guests in the panel then feel obligated to censor themselves about what to say/talk about and that's not really fair either.
                              I have mixed feelings when it comes to children at panels and at Q&A's. If the child is behaving and not crying or making noises that disrupt everyone else then kids don't bother me. If the panel or Q&A should be censored due to content or language then that should be mentioned before hand so that parents know not to bring kids. Some of these kids enjoy seeing the person they see on TV or the movies. I also know many adults who do not like nonPG or nonG rated humor so mentioning that the panel may not be fit for children helps those adults make decisions as well.
                              All that aside, it is extremely rude for the parent to not take their child out the moment the child makes a fuss.
                              At Ben Browder's Q&A in Chicago, there was a child who was bored, crying and making noises. It took the parent quite awhile before the child was taken out of the room, only to be brought back in and start everything up again. It was disruptive and hard to hear Ben talk. People were looking at the parent and the hint wasn't taken. It was very frustrating. I understand the parent wanting to see Ben but not at the expense of everyone else, including the guest.
                              sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                                ...People were looking at the parent and the hint wasn't taken. It was very frustrating. I understand the parent wanting to see Ben but not at the expense of everyone else, including the guest.
                                Oh trust me...the hint would have been taken...just ignored! And that's what peeves me the most.
                                As a parent myself...I would not take a child under the age of 10 to a convention simply because I don't think a child really appreciates what a con is. That is not to say that all children couldn't appreciate it but do they really understand what is going on.
                                I took my son to his first convention this year just prior to his 12th birthday. And it was to see Chris Judge. I promised my son a couple of years ago that should CJ come to town, I would take him to meet him. So a promise is a promise and I couldn't renege.
                                Now to CJ's credit, he did ask the children in the audience if their parents cussed/swore and shock of all shocks, according to the kids we did/do!! And guilty as charged...yes I do use the occasional swear word...when pushed!!! But Chris was good...he did swear a lot but nothing that my son hadn't heard before. (Please don't think that I condone this though. I kinda knew Chris wasn't gonna be squeaky clean but I guess I decide that it would be ok...and I did talk to my son after the event to make sure he understood what happened and that I would not accept a potty mouth at home or at school. ) Although he did try to get Tom to say the "F" word...and being the good boy he is, Tom refused...although that may have been because I was sitting right next to him and telling him to not even try!!!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X