Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah. that can be different.

cultural differences...and i guess a basic unawareness of yourself.

I have definitely run across the people that either don't bathe or have the body chemistry that means they MUST bathe multiple times a day

either way, running across bad BO in a crowded room can definitely suck the fun out of things
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, you make a good point. If going to a con, I ensure that I have at least double the number of T-shirts etc that I think I'll need - one can never plan for accidents.

I may wear the same olvie green shirt as part of my SG-999 gear, but I do change T-shirts at least once a day.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuck View Post
        ...Creation Trek con this past weekend, the rather stout man on her left, had abandoned all personal hygiene.
        A friend of mine posted this about Ren Fests, but this is applicable to ANY Con/Fest/Thingy that one attends:

The 5-2-1 Rule

5-2-1 is actually pretty simple.. so long as you don't treat it as a MAXIMUM but as the MINIMUM (as it is intended). Simply put, for each and every 24-hour period that you'll be spending at an event (no matter *what* kind of event!), be sure to get at least:

- 5 (five) hours of sleep
        - 2 (two) meals (a handful of chips from hospitality does NOT count!)
        - 1 (one) shower

Comment

Originally posted by Josephine View Post
          A friend of mine posted this about Ren Fests, but this is applicable to ANY Con/Fest/Thingy that one attends:

The 5-2-1 Rule

5-2-1 is actually pretty simple.. so long as you don't treat it as a MAXIMUM but as the MINIMUM (as it is intended). Simply put, for each and every 24-hour period that you'll be spending at an event (no matter *what* kind of event!), be sure to get at least:

- 5 (five) hours of sleep
          - 2 (two) meals (a handful of chips from hospitality does NOT count!)
          - 1 (one) shower
          Nah, you can do one meal, as long as it's a good meal. The second meal could consist of a powerbar (hey, that's what they're for!) although agree that a handful of chips does not consistute a meal, but, at a Creation con, hospitality suites do not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Nah, you can do one meal, as long as it's a good meal. The second meal could consist of a powerbar (hey, that's what they're for!) although agree that a handful of chips does not consistute a meal, but, at a Creation con, hospitality suites do not exist.
            The trick at a British con is The Hotel Breakfast: you get an all you can eat full English (or Scottish) breakfast in with your hotel room. Quite enough to keep you going 'til dinner. But we always frighten the hotel staff by how many mushrooms we can get through, even though we always warn them. But they never believe us about the amount of beer either. We drank the brewery dry at Worldcon last year.

5-2-1 started in the 60's or 70's in SF fandom, I believe.

Worst con for smelliness was a small con in Leeds during a heatwave with only one bathroom per floor in the hotel. We (Pete Morwood/Diane Duane/Terry Pratchett and various fans) ended up in the only air conditioned restaurant we could find in Leeds. A subterranean Chinese with a sublime hot and sour soup, so good that Terry and Pete stole bowls from a neighbouring table where a young couple were trying to have a romantic dinner quietly together. Diane and I disowned them, we were worried about being thrown out of our cool oasis, it's like going out for dinner with two naughty boys.
            But apart from the heat, it was a splendid con.

FF
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
              A subterranean Chinese with a sublime hot and sour soup
              Hmm. Sounds like Lucky Dragon. City centre, near the markets?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                Hmm. Sounds like Lucky Dragon. City centre, near the markets?
                Can't remember the name, 'twas about ten years ago, but it was near the markets, so you're most likely right. The hot and sour soup was the signature dish, everyone was served it, whether you ordered it or not.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Hi, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured it would work in here. I'm planning to go to my very first convention next year and I'm not only a total convention NEWBIE but I'm also a travel newbie as well. I have no idea about anything. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions? For instance:

How soon in advance should I buy the tickets? As soon as they're available?
                  How soon do they announce the guest stars who will be there?
                  If I have to fly/travel should I go down the day before or the day of? Should I book a return flight the day it ends or the day after?
                  According to Creation Con, there's a Stargate Convention scheduled for Chicago in August and one in New Jersey in November. There's also the Vancouver one but that's pretty much sold out so I'll wait till 2008 to try and go to that one. Anyway, is either place a better one or are they just the same?

Sorry for bonehead questions, any help would be greatly appreciated! :O)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSheppard28 View Post
                    Hi, I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I figured it would work in here. I'm planning to go to my very first convention next year and I'm not only a total convention NEWBIE but I'm also a travel newbie as well. I have no idea about anything. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions? For instance:

If I have to fly/travel should I go down the day before or the day of? Should I book a return flight the day it ends or the day after?
                    According to Creation Con, there's a Stargate Convention scheduled for Chicago in August and one in New Jersey in November. There's also the Vancouver one but that's pretty much sold out so I'll wait till 2008 to try and go to that one. Anyway, is either place a better one or are they just the same?

No question is bonehead,

1. Buy your tickets ASAP

2. Most Cons begin posting Stars as soon as they get agreements to attend, but all listings are tenative (stars do get jobs and end up having to cancel)

3. Arriving the Day before allows time to relax and be ready to attend, so if at all feesable its a great plan.

4. Staying the extra day is a choice most folks make in cosideration of returning for work, but the extra night is nice.

5. The venues for the two cons are different, and attendees (fans) change for the event in the most localized area, I do both cons and cannot tell you which is better, they are both a blast...my suggestion is to look at the most easily attended, and the one you can stay the most days for, then attend that one...or better yet...do both!

http://web.mac.com/doqtaj/iWeb/Site/Choice-award.html
                    *holds out hankie* excuse me, does this smell like chloroform to you?

Comment

Cool, thank you for answering my questions! I would love to do both but I unfortunately can't afford it at the moment. I just started a new job though so I'll save, save, save! Thank you again!! :O)
                      sigpic

Comment

Cool, thank you for answering my questions! I would love to do both but I unfortunately can't afford it at the moment. I just started a new job though so I'll save, save, save! Thank you again!! :O)
                        Go, enjoy.
                        The best thing about cons isn't the guests though (even though they are cool and it's fun to meet them and listen to them talk).
                        The best thing about cons are the fellow fans. You can go and talk to anyone, knowing that you have at least one thing in common, your love of the show. Go sit in the bar or a coffee shop and talk SG1 or Atlantis with people who know as much about it and love it as much as you do. No one will think you weird or obsessed, you are with like minds. That's really the best thing about a con, be it fan run or pro, Stargate or Startrek, big or small.

FF, con attendee since 1982.
                        sigpic

Comment

I will admit, I like the bar in chicago muuuuch better, and you will find the volunteers hanging out there usually on Fri/Sat night unwinding and telling tall tales.

Not me tho...I never tell whoppers *cough* nor do I drink Irish car bombs...much

http://web.mac.com/doqtaj/iWeb/Site/Choice-award.html
                          *holds out hankie* excuse me, does this smell like chloroform to you?

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuck View Post
                            I will admit, I like the bar in chicago muuuuch better, and you will find the volunteers hanging out there usually on Fri/Sat night unwinding and telling tall tales.

Not me tho...I never tell whoppers *cough* nor do I drink Irish car bombs...much
                            I have to agree with Mama Duck. The Chicago bar was a blast. Especially with Cliff Simon drinking Jack Daniels and visiting with the fans. Mama Duck, you were great fun too.
                            Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

• Buying your tickets depends on your financial situation? If you can afford to dump several hundred dollars at once, sure, go for it if it's no big deal, but actors aren't guaranteed for cons (they seem to a higher ratio of not attending Creations than other, something a friend a spreadsheet pointed out to me<G>).
                              • Which city do you want to see? If you're going a long distance, be a tourist too. For Vancouver, the US government is forcing people to get passports now to return to the States (that is, if you're from the States) so add that to your expenses if you don't have one.
                              • Flying in the day before allows you to get rested and find ohter fans. Creation cons don't start until their actual starting time, so you have to make your own fun NJ, not much to do, really, at the hotel (practice walking up and down stairs as the elevators will probably break again). But, NYC is just a cab ride away if you've never been there before. Not sure where the Chicago con is; if it's an airport hotel, you'll need a taxi to escape.
                              • Flying out depends on tourist stuff, your vacation time, etc.

Comment

As sad as it sounds I've only been out of my home state once so I don't have any idea about anything. That's part of the reason I was thinking of going a little early and staying late, so I can see the sights .

What other kind of conventions do the actors go too?

Thanks for everyone's help/advice, I really appreciate it!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X