Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    I'm being serious.

I was at a small con in Glasgow last weekend, and a buddy of mine (no names) got so drunk he was wandering round the train station with a full glass of wine in his hand. A nice gent from Strathclyde Police spoke to him and took the glass away, then big Cameron (the con's tech-guru) went and basically poured said friend onto his last train home.

When my friend is sober, he's a great guy. Been a lot of places, seen a lot of things, knows a lot of stuff. But when it comes to the booze, he's a bit of a Jeckyll and Hyde character.
    Ooo. Yeah, that's a little tricky. At least no celebrities were harmed!

Comment

Alcohol should ALWAYS be consumed carefully at Conventions. Be aware that the cities in which the venue is located may have different laws and regulations regarding alcohol consumptions and drunkeness. Always remember that just because YOUR LOCAL laws say one thing, that won't mean the same thing when you go to another state or country. Especially with foreign countries, you need to be aware of what the laws are regarding alcohol. When i went to Vancouver this year for the Stargate Con, i researched the alcohol laws of canada, especially Vancouver. NEVER assume your local laws will apply in another state or country! You're at the con to have fun. Have your fun responsibly, though. It will not be fun for your friends to have to chaperone you when become drunk and disorderly. And it will not be fun especially when a police officer is the one to chaperone you!

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
        Don't give them bulky things, they have to get them into suitcases.
        Very small unique items are the best thing (got that straight from MS)
        Anything oversized or just "standard fare" might be just left or signed and auctioned for charity.
        I have given them "talent tags" and keep getting weird looks from the ones who dont have one yet. I gave a few custom challenge coins and they keep taking them to cons and challenging everyone in sight (gotta clear up the rules on that)

http://web.mac.com/doqtaj/iWeb/Site/Choice-award.html
        *holds out hankie* excuse me, does this smell like chloroform to you?

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Do not get so absolutely blind stinking drunk that none of your friends want to be seen with you.
          Wow, haven't seen any fan do that but then maybe my friends aren't lushes

Think one thing that should be added to convention etiquette is... don't let your underwear show... Madonna can prance around in her undies and make millions but it really doesn't look good on the average fan

Comment

My suggestion would be that if you're planning to ask a guest a question during their presentation, try running it past friends or family first to get their opinions. While it may sound witty and/or clever to you, it may not sound that way to others...Like the young lady at the Secaucus con this past weekend who went to the mic during Jason's presentation, announced that she didn't watch Atlantis and then proceded to ask him what he could say to her to make her watch his show...
            Some people might have found that amusing, but I found it downright rude. I'd like to think that wasn't what was intended, but that's how it came across, unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by BrownEyes View Post
              My suggestion would be that if you're planning to ask a guest a question during their presentation, try running it past friends or family first to get their opinions. While it may sound witty and/or clever to you, it may not sound that way to others...Like the young lady at the Secaucus con this past weekend who went to the mic during Jason's presentation, announced that she didn't watch Atlantis and then proceded to ask him what he could say to her to make her watch his show...
              Some people might have found that amusing, but I found it downright rude. I'd like to think that wasn't what was intended, but that's how it came across, unfortunately...
              There were actually three people at Jason's panel who admitted to not watching the show, as one at least said she was an SG1 fan, but I thought the 'tell me why i should watch the show' question was, well, um, er, rude? Yeah. Gads, no wonder Jason was imbibing before the panel....

Yup, the convention flyer even said to think about your question (and not to do gifts on stage or stuff like that, but welll....) and I think some fans just want to get up there and talk to the actor 'one on one' and don't think beforehand about their questions. I can't recall which panel it was, but one person was reading a question off a cellphone and that took time and nobody really knew what that was about....

Comment

Originally posted by BrownEyes View Post

Jason told me he was a tad taken aback by that one, but during the signings people kept telling him "oh and I DO watch Atlantis" very nice of them.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  I can't recall which panel it was, but one person was reading a question off a cellphone and that took time and nobody really knew what that was about....
                  she actually did that for a COUPLE questions. Least this year she texted it, last year she wrote it on paper, and Mike/Chris Judge thought she was a possible serial killer because of her penmanship.

I thought it was just so rude to say "I don't watch Atlantis" and then to have two people immediately afterwards say "I don't watch it either!"

Rude, rude, rude. Wouldn't have been so rude if they had said, "I don't watch atlantis but I've seen you in [name of show]"

Helena
                  sigpic

Selmak.Org ~ A website dedicated to a Snarky Symbiote & Her Boy Toys.
                  Sel's Memorial to Don Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by qksilver99 View Post
                    I thought it was just so rude to say "I don't watch Atlantis" and then to have two people immediately afterwards say "I don't watch it either!"

Rude, rude, rude. Wouldn't have been so rude if they had said, "I don't watch atlantis but I've seen you in [name of show]"

Helena
                    Yikes! I was off working elsewhere during his onstage, no wonder he was a so nervous during the signing! This was only his second Creation Con! Rude people tick me off enough, rude to my friends....bad move.

Comment

she actually did that for a COUPLE questions. Least this year she texted it, last year she wrote it on paper, and Mike/Chris Judge thought she was a possible serial killer because of her penmanship.

Helena

The way that would have made it so much better was "I don't have cable so I haven't seen you in Atlantis yet, but have seen you in such and such."

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        The way that would have made it so much better was "I don't have cable so I haven't seen you in Atlantis yet, but have seen you in such and such."
                        Yes! much better.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuck View Post
                          Yikes! I was off working elsewhere during his onstage, no wonder he was a so nervous during the signing! This was only his second Creation Con! Rude people tick me off enough, rude to my friends....bad move.
                          Well whenever my friends and I saw him, we told him, "We watch Atlantis!"

Some people are just wacky and unleash their inner fangirl/fanboy, uncaring about polite behavior.

For example, one of the actors/actresses I've seen far too many times, so I was greeted by name. Several people commented on it, but someone was really rude (Insulting tone of voice), "Why does (Insert Name of Actor/Actress) know YOUR name? How'd you rate that?" and then repeatedly Harumphed during my explanation.

Jealousy. So petty. So green.

Helena
                          sigpic

Comment

Well whenever my friends and I saw him, we told him, "We watch Atlantis!"

Some people are just wacky and unleash their inner fangirl/fanboy, uncaring about polite behavior.

For example, one of the actors/actresses I've seen far too many times, so I was greeted by name. Several people commented on it, but someone was really rude (Insulting tone of voice), "Why does (Insert Name of Actor/Actress) know YOUR name? How'd you rate that?" and then repeatedly Harumphed during my explanation.

Jealousy. So petty. So green.

Helena
                            Yup, and then you get the flip side of fans who have seen the actors more times than God and rub it into the newbies....

Comment

This seems the place to vent about it..so pardon me if it's already been discussed..but a big part of Convention Ettiquette would be to remember that its not the place for an "it's all about me" attitude.

At the NJ con I had the dubious pleasure of sitting in front of this type of person. Describing the situation in it's entirety would set me off, so I'll just leave it that talking out loud, constantly to the friend you brought with you and to yourself is not appreciated by anyone. Neither is heckling the fans who participate in the Caberet by screaming out "you suck" while they're up on stage.

Thankfully, Creation addressed and handled the situation. I don't know what was said but it must have been handled brilliantly as the unruly fan calmed down while still seeming to enjoy themself.

And a good time was had by all!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wwlh View Post
                                This seems the place to vent about it..so pardon me if it's already been discussed..but a big part of Convention Ettiquette would be to remember that its not the place for an "it's all about me" attitude.

At the NJ con I had the dubious pleasure of sitting in front of this type of person. Describing the situation in it's entirety would set me off, so I'll just leave it that talking out loud, constantly to the friend you brought with you and to yourself is not appreciated by anyone. Neither is heckling the fans who participate in the Caberet by screaming out "you suck" while they're up on stage.

Thankfully, Creation addressed and handled the situation. I don't know what was said but it must have been handled brilliantly as the unruly fan calmed down while still seeming to enjoy themself.

And a good time was had by all!!!
                                I missed the "you suck!' scream, probably because I was on stage! But yes, i know distinctly the individual (at least by face) whom you spoke of who talked so LOUD.

Comment

Working...
                                X