No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she was a good sport about it. and that heckler was about the only one that i saw.

amanda is a massively good sport about things. i know that she auto'd far longer than she 'had' to just so that everyone could get their auto.

corin and carmen as well were fantastic folks and people that i saw were polite and respectful. soemtimes things got a bit grumpy,b ut it was simply between con-goers and, well by sunday folks are tired and sleep deprived and the halls were a horrible crush of people. things happen in crowds

all in all i found shore leave to be better organized than gatecon (maybe it was the variety since it's multi genre) and i had a fantastic time.

no con will be 'perfect' and there is always a bad apple in each bunch, but if a majority do thier best, that's all you can ask for
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

When I went to the Vancouver con I saw what I felt were a few odd or annoying characters in the audience. At the time I felt sort of embarassed for the actors, that they were being pestered with bizarre questions and that some fans rambled on about themselves endlessly in front of everyone. Later after I got home I realized that these fans didn't really spoil my good time, and the actors just laugh off their behavior. Sad to say, some of these fans' inability to "get" that what they were doing was off-putting to the star makes for some of my funniest memories of the con now. Although I doubt that is how they would like to be remembered...

Folks go to cons for all sorts of reasons. And some people are just clueless. I can always rejoice that I am not one of the clueless ones (hopefully).

Comment

there is a difference between famous and infamous

although, in defense of the ramblers....people get nervous when they meet actors. and that nervousness is often manifested in ramblings and giggles and silliness

human nature

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          there is a difference between famous and infamous

although, in defense of the ramblers....people get nervous when they meet actors. and that nervousness is often manifested in ramblings and giggles and silliness

human nature
          *raises hand*
          I understand "giggle-itis", having suffered from it myself. I think I set a new record for going from sensible woman to shameless fangirl in 3 seconds flat.

The point I was trying to get across was that IMO a lot of the occurrences that seem terribly wacky or rude in the moment at a con aren't really that important or serious once you get home. Everyone's emotions are magnified during such an event, not just the folks who ramble or ask odd questions, but the folks who witness such things sometimes overreact a little or perceive things as worse than they are. It is helpful to have a sense of humor while there and afterwards and know when to laugh it off, like the actors try to do. Tain't easy, but it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ravinia
            Just back from Shore Leave in Baltimore, and there were more than a few inappropriate or just plain inconsiderate questions. Some obnoxious woman in the front rows started yelling at Amanda about why she wore the blue dress in Emancipation. Some other guy brought his baby up for Amanda to fuss over, very sweet of Amanda but there's like, 10 minutes out of everyone's time. One girl went on and on about her high school theater experience.
            Ah yes, the people who USE another family member to get some time with their idol. I've seen it with babies, it's my (fill in name of relative) birthday could you please wish them happy birthday or sing them a song. The list is annoying, really.

Basically, when a fan goes up to ask a question, that's ALL the other 100+ fans want to hear. They don't want to know anything personal about the fan asking the question unless that information is delivered succinctly and IS pertinent to the question being asked.

Alas, most fans don't bother to read the rule books at cons and even if they do, hey, they're like the folks who ignore the speed limit signs - they just don't believe it applies to them.

Comment

Wow. I personally haven't encountered anything like that, but (here's some useless personal information about me, heh heh) I've only been to one con- the one in Boston last year. I seem to recall that there was one kid who asked what MS's favorite colors were (I think he said something about purple?), but that was just your generic cute kid thing. Nothing really weird.
              YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

What is it with some people, that they feel they can blatantly ignore the Stewards?
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

because in the opinion of some 'i paid $$$ do be here and i paid $$$ to get this and by goodness i'm GONNA get what i paid for!!!!!!!!'

peopel think that they're special. the rules don't apply to them and anyway, one person squeaking by won't hurt anything

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    because in the opinion of some 'i paid $$$ do be here and i paid $$$ to get this and by goodness i'm GONNA get what i paid for!!!!!!!!'

peopel think that they're special. the rules don't apply to them and anyway, one person squeaking by won't hurt anything
                    Obviously they've never met Team SG-999...
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I do like questions that make everyone laugh tho. Some fan questions are hilarious. It's good to see the actors laughing with the fans.
                      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess
                        I do like questions that make everyone laugh tho. Some fan questions are hilarious. It's good to see the actors laughing with the fans.
                        My buddy Nasty Nick asked how much Ben & Jerry's ice cream Shanks & Judge got through while filming an ep.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess
                          Yup, humorous questions, as long as they're in good taste (not blatantly embarrassing) can help break the ice between the boring questions (I'm sure the actors have probably heard the same questions a gazillion times but for many attendees, it's their first con.)

Comment

Hey everyone,

My first time on the forum here at Gateworld and I will be attending my firts con in New Jersey, Nov. 3-5.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thred. Although I would never even think about doing most of the stuff you have pointed out or have seen at other cons, it is good to know what to expect from fellow con goers. The lesson I learned from all of you is to not be suprised by anything you see or here and if something catches you off guard or you feel it is in distaste, don't let it ruin your experience. Morons will be morons and the classless will never have class and there is nothing you can do about it. Just have fun.

I am going to this con by myself. No one that I am friends with like Sci-fi stuff that much and most of them never even heard of the Stargate TV series. So I hope to meet a bunch of cool people there that share my intrest in the shows.

Comment

Originally posted by VLADMIRE
                              Hey everyone,

My first time on the forum here at Gateworld and I will be attending my firts con in New Jersey, Nov. 3-5.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thred. Although I would never even think about doing most of the stuff you have pointed out or have seen at other cons, it is good to know what to expect from fellow con goers. The lesson I learned from all of you is to not be suprised by anything you see or here and if something catches you off guard or you feel it is in distaste, don't let it ruin your experience. Morons will be morons and the classless will never have class and there is nothing you can do about it. Just have fun.

I am going to this con by myself. No one that I am friends with like Sci-fi stuff that much and most of them never even heard of the Stargate TV series. So I hope to meet a bunch of cool people there that share my intrest in the shows.
                              Conventions are always fun! It's nice to see new people hopping on the bandwagon. I think there is probably a thread in the Fandom are of the board for the NJ con. You can always check in there and see who is going. I've met lots of really great people at the few conventions I've been to. Have fun and welcome! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                                My buddy Nasty Nick asked how much Ben & Jerry's ice cream Shanks & Judge got through while filming an ep.
                                And the answer was....???

Comment

Working...
                                X