Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarDreamer
    agreed... I honestly don't think giving an actual gift is as good as showing genuine appreciation for their work...

My two best girlfriends have acted professionally...and I know what probably means the most to them is me being there at their performances, supporting them, and telling them what I think about their show and performance. Backing an actor up and saying "I love how you played this" etc.. could really end up meaning something special to them...
    Using my husband and his friends as examples again, I'd agree. In fact, my husband has gotten a couple of gifts and it strikes him weird. Not that he refuses the gifts, but it makes him uncomfortable. But then again, he's not used to that - he's not Michael Shanks and doing this all the time, doing cons where giving gifts isn't unusual.

But I'd second what others have said. If you give a gift, try to make it personal but not TOO personal. And if it's a consumable, make sure it's in the original packaging and sealed - and preferably quite obviously tamper-proof. And make sure that, whatever the gift is, it's not potentially offensive or in any way sexual. And that the person can physically and legally transport it home with them, if they chose to.
    Last edited by RoaringMice; 10 April 2006, 09:51 AM.
    Jezisi, ja s tema hercema nemuzu delat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ampcoyote
      Well, aren't we all in touch with our own inner Kavanaughs.

The blonde chickie in question got complimented by Shanks's people for being "the highlight of the evening". She's an art student from Vancouver with an IQ of somewhere in the 180's. She's basically Rodney on speed. If Rodney McKay watched Stargate what kind of questions do you think he would ask of a female character he really liked?

Yep. Blonde Chickie type questions.

Speaking of which, were we at the same convention? I saw a small child of obvious high intelligence and mediocre social skills (and wondered if he was high-functioning Asperger's at the time, good to know I was right) who made the beginning of the evening and a blonde chickie who made the end of the evening. In between there were your typical fan-geek questions "What does Daniel think about Mitchell" or "How can I get into acting" or "Can I give you this gift that I worked years on?" BORRRRINNNGGGG average intelligence questions you can get at any con.

And no, she wasn't trying to be funny, she's kinda' like Darrin Morgan that way (And yes, I always thought that was a put on with HIM too until I met her. . .so I can't really blame anyone for wondering that. But, believe it or not, she's like that 24/7, and my stomach hurts from laughing after the Van Con. And, like Morgan, she doesn't usually get that she's funny until you point it out.)

As for the smell, check your own armpits (btw, learn how to spell). It's hard getting Blonde Chicke OUT of the bathroom, not into it. She doesn't like getting hassled about being a cute blonde thing - despises it - so dressing like a skater is her way of combating it and getting people to think about her art instead. Put her in tight clothes and she looks like the little sister of the chickie that plays Kara Thrace.
      Anyway, so now we know how you'd all treat Rodney McKay if he ever came to a con. . .

<Edited to correct the name of Starbuck - which is what I get for being snooty before I've had enough coffee.>
      Wow am I noticing this thread late.

I didn't notice any little boys behaving badly, but saw some cute babies who were very well behaved.

As for 'blonde chick' I thought MS found her highly entertaining, and dare I say it, sweet. She was the perfect foil for his extremely witty replies. SJe looked and sounded cute which helped, how can a big guy like that find someone like her scary or intimidating?

I found her questions unusual, but refreshing. She was extremely funny. I have to say she got some really big laughs, which seems to be missing from people's descriptions of what happened, that most of the audience were laughing along with it.

She was sitting in the row in front of me and when she came back to her seat told her friends 'I wasn't asking those questions to be funny' and she sounded upset, possibly because she perceived we were laughing at her. I felt terrible cause she looked quite sad.

'Screening' fans is a long slippery which would exclude most of us depending on the criteria used, and is completely unwarranted, especially in this case.

I just hope it hasn't put her off coming to more conventions.

Comment

before i'd give an actor a gift, i'd check what the con rules are.

some cons screen all gifts. ie they have to be given to a member of the con personnel, who make sure that they are ok (and some cons will NOT give food, no matter how sealed it is) before handing them over.

gatecon for example, gathered all the gifts then put them up on the stage to be waiting for the actor when he or she came out

I'm sure everyone would love to give them to the actors individually, but think of all the time that would take. If the actor is only on the stage for 60 minutes and if 28 of those minutes are taken with individual fans giving them gifts....that kinda ruins it for the others

also, remember that these actors have to schlep this stuff home. And, like us, they only have so much room in thier luggage. Small and personal can be fun.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by choc
          Wow am I noticing this thread late.

'Screening' fans is a long slippery which would exclude most of us depending on the criteria used, and is completely unwarranted, especially in this case.
          Pro cons like Creation wouldn't waste the time doing that, but at a fan con it could be a disaster, as there's too much fan politics these days that someone would not wrongly get caught in someone's opinion of them (and yes, fans snipe at each other in very immature manners, and that includes some con comm as well).

Normally, if an actor is having a LOT of trouble with an obsessive fan, the agent usually informs the convention to keep an eye out. If a a fan is a real whackjob (yes, they do exist), then hey, the FBI has become involved (interstate threats, whatever - it has happened).

Comment

some cons DO have 'black lists', individuals whose behavior has proven to be so unsavory that the person is no longer welcome.

It's one of those deep dark secrets of cons.

and before folks get all paranoid, the 'black list' is usually very, very short. A bare handful of folks who have a proven track record of misbehaving.

as to screening the questions...easier said than done. heck, most of the time at gatecon the issue was getting ENOUGH questions to keep the actor going than having too many

One question that i personally wish more fans would avoid....

boxers or briefs.

yet it seems to be a staple of stargate cons everywhere

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

boxers or briefs.

Actually I was at one of the Vulkon dinners with the stars and this blonde chickie ran up and ask John Noble that question in the middle of the buffet line. He told her whatever and she ran off.

I told him that i couldn't believe that someone would ask him that IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUFFET LINE.

He straightened up, and in his best Denethor voice, informed me that it was neither.

I told him that it was entirely TOO much information - and that he had now ruined that climatic scene where a burning Denethor runs off that ledge as I can't think of it without singing "Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!"

So I agree.
              sigpic

Selmak.Org ~ A website dedicated to a Snarky Symbiote & Her Boy Toys.
              Sel's Memorial to Don Davis.

Comment

boxers or briefs.
                Ya know, having never been to a con, I never really thought about questions that are asked of actors. I certainly didn't think about this question or that anyone would ask it. Sheesh, how rude and immature. Give the guy some privacy, huh? (Or gal, as the case might be)
                I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

boxers or briefs.

having not yet attended stargate cons, wouldn't know, but in the case of some of the cast, you don't need to ask cuz it's obvious And it's always women asking guys. I don't think an actress has ever been asked ... thong or regular? At least I sure as hope not!

Comment

it was a 'tradition' at gatecon. and yeah, it was funny at first and the actors took it in stride...but after a bit it got old, really, really old

course, then David Palffey decided to show us *literally, white boxer briefs. i have a great pic* and then, in the celebrity auction, i believe he auctioned off the opportunity to fondle his bum i believe. can't recall how much it went for, i was laughing sooooo hard.

it's about as good as when colin showed up with thigh highs on (yes, the auctions did get a BIT rowdy...but all in good 'clean' fun)

sigpic

Comment

it's about as good as when colin showed up with thigh highs on (yes, the auctions did get a BIT rowdy...but all in good 'clean' fun)
                      This would be a certain Colin Cunningham then?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Just back from Shore Leave in Baltimore, and there were more than a few inappropriate or just plain inconsiderate questions. Some obnoxious woman in the front rows started yelling at Amanda about why she wore the blue dress in Emancipation. Some other guy brought his baby up for Amanda to fuss over, very sweet of Amanda but there's like, 10 minutes out of everyone's time. One girl went on and on about her high school theater experience.

Like you've said, it's not coming from people who read this thread! The con volunteers just have to do a better job of "VERBALLY" reminding people of the guidelines to make it better for all. What we all know is perfectly logical, some extreme or newbie fans just say what they want to say.

The advice seems pretty simple to me - ask ONE question so others get their chance. DON'T go on and on about your own life. Play by the rules - don't be yelling out your questions out of the audience when others are standing in line at a microphone to ask and don't ask for things you've been told not to ask. And don't argue back with the guests.

Seems pretty reasonable to me! I know we SF fans aren't always easy to corral, but I was a little embarassed that several of my fellow fans simply don't get the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by ravinia
                          Just back from Shore Leave in Baltimore, and there were more than a few inappropriate or just plain inconsiderate questions. Some obnoxious woman in the front rows started yelling at Amanda about why she wore the blue dress in Emancipation. Some other guy brought his baby up for Amanda to fuss over, very sweet of Amanda but there's like, 10 minutes out of everyone's time. One girl went on and on about her high school theater experience.

Like you've said, it's not coming from people who read this thread! The con volunteers just have to do a better job of "VERBALLY" reminding people of the guidelines to make it better for all. What we all know is perfectly logical, some extreme or newbie fans just say what they want to say.

The advice seems pretty simple to me - ask ONE question so others get their chance. DON'T go on and on about your own life. Play by the rules - don't be yelling out your questions out of the audience when others are standing in line at a microphone to ask and don't ask for things you've been told not to ask. And don't argue back with the guests.

Seems pretty reasonable to me! I know we SF fans aren't always easy to corral, but I was a little embarassed that several of my fellow fans simply don't get the concept.
                          You're right. It does seem like reasonable advice. Too bad people can't take it. As for the questions at SL, I completely agree. Don't try to go around the con rules by asking for a hug or a picture with them or for your kid or whatever while they are onstage. People around me were groaning when that guy (who was sitting next to me) took his baby up and spent several minutes getting pictures with Amanda. And the other guy who said that the pictures were sold out six months ago - I got mine in May, they weren't sold out then. He probably didn't want to pay the $40 or wanted several pics with Amanda and Carmen. Of course, when you ask for things like that in front of a room full of people (or even in private I would wager), Amanda Tapping of all people isn't going to say no.

The lady who was being so completely rude to Amanda about the dress was totally inappropriate. But Amanda handled it quite well, I think, by saying (and repeating several times as it didn't seem to sink in) that it was for the good of the mission. Don't US female soldiers have to wear traditional garb when in the Middle East? (I honestly don't know)

You know, I came to a con to hear the guest actors speak and answer questions, not to listen to your stories and hear you talk (and talk and talk and talk) or hear you gush over them. Of course you like them on Stargate and think they are great actors. Isn't that why you are at a con to begin with?? So don't make the audience listen to everyone say it over and over. Those people took up a lot of valuable Q&A time, and I could see even Carmen was getting annoyed, although he did a good job of being polite and smiling.

Also, why ask questions where the answers are obvious or that don't apply to the guest? ("Corin, do you think you are a good and open-minded person?" What, he's gonna say no?? *actually he did, jokingly, I think to show how stupid the question was*)

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on that. I was just agreeing that people need to follow the stated convention Q&A rules that are clearly posted in the convention book, but also follow the rules of common sense and decency. Alas, those who so badly need this advice are obviously not here reading this thread.
                          I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
                          Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

oooo so the woman who asked about the dress argued with amanda? how rude!

Comment

Originally posted by tiggerific
                              oooo so the woman who asked about the dress argued with amanda? how rude!
                              Yes, she did. This lady was in front of me and didn't seem to get a clue. However, the situation became quite laughable when Amanda explained that Carter did what she had to do for the sake of the mission. When the lady STILL didn't get it, the guy next to her said, "She had to take one for the team". Amanda repeated what the guy said and we all broke out into laughter and moved on. Thank God!

-- Foxy

P.S. Am working on uploading my photos from the con tonight.

Comment

rofl poor amanda, good on her! shes such a nice lady! grr i wish i could have gone!

Comment

Working...
                                X