Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    The thing is that there's no screening for fans like that, and Creation, well, they're about selling as many tickets as possible....
    Screening fans who buy tickets would open a pandora's box. You can't deny a fan access to a con unless there's a legitimate legal reason. Granted, the blonde chic asked a few rather interesting questions, the looks on the guests faces when answering was priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
      Screening fans who buy tickets would open a pandora's box. You can't deny a fan access to a con unless there's a legitimate legal reason. Granted, the blonde chic asked a few rather interesting questions, the looks on the guests faces when answering was priceless.
      Ah, Kodak(TM) moments, eh?

But to ban any fan, yeah, you'd have to have something legitimate and in writing, not just 'oh, this person said this person is a whacko fan." well, you could, but then think of the lawsuit....

Comment

The death fetish woman has some serious mental issues and should, IMO, be banned from all future conventions. Asking Michael about how he wanted to die, asking if he ever got depressed since Daniel's life is so much more valuable than his own, giving Amanda a dippy alarm system thing so she can be warned of the homicidal maniac breaking into her bedroom to stab her and then telling Amanda she didn't want a hug because "you're covered in viruses." Um... yeah... Get help. Now.
        I'm still not certain it was a female....and the man sitting next to me at the Con asked the same thing......did anyone actually interact with this person and can verify her/his gender and possibly age?

I'm also not certain if this person was for "real" or was just putting us all on, for attention. The vocabulary used, and their delivery timing was fantastic, so I'm really at a loss as to whether this was an intentional "act" or the person is truly like that. I'm leaning towards a "put on".

In any case, I think they went a tad too far.
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I guess this is why the stars need security people...

Comment

Originally posted by Lida

I'm also not certain if this person was for "real" or was just putting us all on, for attention. The vocabulary used, and their delivery timing was fantastic, so I'm really at a loss as to whether this was an intentional "act" or the person is truly like that. I'm leaning towards a "put on".

I wasn't sure either, I kept wondering if she/he was an arts student or something.
            In 24 years of going to cons, I've never seen anyone quite like her.

FF
            sigpic

Comment

I'm still not certain it was a female....and the man sitting next to me at the Con asked the same thing......did anyone actually interact with this person and can verify her/his gender and possibly age?

I had the "pleasure" of standing next to her at one point. Definately female. Not to sound like a masoginist or anything but I wasn't sure so I looked at the chest and - yes definately female. Put on? Not sure, the smell coming from her was pretty full on. I heard her say to someone that she lives in Vancouver.

Sadly I think she has a mental illness

Comment

Well, aren't we all in touch with our own inner Kavanaughs.

The blonde chickie in question got complimented by Shanks's people for being "the highlight of the evening". She's an art student from Vancouver with an IQ of somewhere in the 180's. She's basically Rodney on speed. If Rodney McKay watched Stargate what kind of questions do you think he would ask of a female character he really liked?

Yep. Blonde Chickie type questions.

Speaking of which, were we at the same convention? I saw a small child of obvious high intelligence and mediocre social skills (and wondered if he was high-functioning Asperger's at the time, good to know I was right) who made the beginning of the evening and a blonde chickie who made the end of the evening. In between there were your typical fan-geek questions "What does Daniel think about Mitchell" or "How can I get into acting" or "Can I give you this gift that I worked years on?" BORRRRINNNGGGG average intelligence questions you can get at any con.

And no, she wasn't trying to be funny, she's kinda' like Darrin Morgan that way (And yes, I always thought that was a put on with HIM too until I met her. . .so I can't really blame anyone for wondering that. But, believe it or not, she's like that 24/7, and my stomach hurts from laughing after the Van Con. And, like Morgan, she doesn't usually get that she's funny until you point it out.)

As for the smell, check your own armpits (btw, learn how to spell). It's hard getting Blonde Chicke OUT of the bathroom, not into it. She doesn't like getting hassled about being a cute blonde thing - despises it - so dressing like a skater is her way of combating it and getting people to think about her art instead. Put her in tight clothes and she looks like the little sister of the chickie that plays Kara Thrace.
                Anyway, so now we know how you'd all treat Rodney McKay if he ever came to a con. . .

<Edited to correct the name of Starbuck - which is what I get for being snooty before I've had enough coffee.>
                Last edited by ampcoyote; 31 March 2006, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ampcoyote

The blonde chickie in question got complimented by Shanks's people for being "the highlight of the evening". She's an art student from Vancouver with an IQ of somewhere in the 180's. She's basically Rodney on speed. If Rodney McKay watched Stargate what kind of questions do you think he would ask of a female character he really liked?

Speaking of which, were we at the same convention? I saw a small child of obvious high intelligence and mediocre social skills (and wondered if he was high-functioning Asperger's at the time, good to know I was right) who made the beginning of the evening and a blonde chickie who made the end of the evening. In between there were your typical fan-geek questions "What does Daniel think about Mitchell" or "How can I get into acting" or "Can I give you this gift that I worked years on?" BORRRRINNNGGGG average intelligence questions you can get at any con.

And no, she wasn't trying to be funny, she's kinda' like Darrin Morgan that way (And yes, I always thought that was a put on with HIM too until I met her. . .so I can't really blame anyone for wondering that. But, believe it or not, she's like that 24/7, and my stomach hurts from laughing after the Van Con. And, like Morgan, she doesn't usually get that she's funny until you point it out.)

As for the smell, check your own armpits (btw, learn how to spell). It's hard getting Blonde Chicke OUT of the bathroom, not into it. She doesn't like getting hassled about being a cute blonde thing - despises it - so dressing like a skater is her way of combating it and getting people to think about her art instead. Put her in tight clothes and she looks like the little sister of the chickie that plays Kara Thrace.
                  Anyway, so now we know how you'd all treat Rodney McKay if he ever came to a con. . .

<Edited to correct the name of Starbuck - which is what I get for being snooty before I've had enough coffee.>
                  Would it be possible to elaborate on how you got this information on "blonde girl"? I agree, I thought she was the highlight of the question/answer periods, as her questions WERE far from boring, however, some of the info you provided is not readily accessible.

As for "typical fan geek questions"......those fans are the backbone of the show's fanbase, and I for one take exception to your putting them down. Their questions are every bit as important as anyone one else's, and many of them provided laughs and good stories from the quests. And intelligent has little to do with it.

As for Carter, the child with Asperger's syndrome, yes, he has a rather high intelligence, poor social skills and a range of physical problems, and I thoroughly enjoyed him also. If all my remarks and explanations about Asperger's and Carter hadn't "mysteriously" disappeared, you'd have known that.

Thanks for all the additional information.
                  On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by ampcoyote

Blah blah blah. Sorry to tell you, she stank. Anyway, you might find questions on death and anti stabbing devices good but I find them disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                      Blah blah blah. Sorry to tell you, she stank. Anyway, you might find questions on death and anti stabbing devices good but I find them disturbing.
                      I have to say I was really freaked out by Blonde Chick. And from the initial looks from Michael and Amanda, I think they might have been too. I was actually scared for them.
                      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Hi again Lida:

Actually, yes, I met the young blonde woman in the vendors room. Her questions were off the wall, but when I talked to her, she was tormented that she had asked bad questions. She was putting herself down quite a bit for what she asked.

I don't know much else except I guess you are bound to meet good people and bad where ever you go. I just hope when I walk away from a con, that people are not thinking I'm the biggest twit they ever met. So, does anybody think I'm the biggest twit? Or even second biggest twit? Being number two, I would definitly try harder. (Moan, that is so bad).
                        Best wishes

Arctic Goddess
                        Last edited by Arctic Goddess; 31 March 2006, 11:03 PM.
                        Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess
                          Hi again Lida:

Actually, yes, I met the young blonde woman in the vendors room. Her questions were off the wall, but when I talked to her, she was tormented that she had asked bad questions. She was putting herself down quite a bit for what she asked.

I don't know much else except I guess you are bound to meet good people and bad where ever you go. I just hope when I walk away from a con, that people are not thinking I'm the biggest twit they ever met. So, does anybody think I'm the biggest twit? Or even second biggest twit? Being number two, I would definitly try harder. (Moan, that is so bad).
                          Best wishes

Arctic Goddess
                          Somehow, after getting Cliff to take of his shirt, I don't think any woman in the room thinks of you as a twit...

FF still impressed
                          sigpic

Comment

I found the "blonde chickie" kind of creepy but I didn't meet her and It was my first stragate con...so I just asumed that that was what happened in this fandom. I mean you get way weirder stuff from David Lynch Fans, and I've put up with them for years(with love). You had the good q's and then you had wildly creepy ones. By the way who was it that asked if joe had his cable turned back on. That was kind of odd, But I loved the reaction. It was priceless.
                            but yeah the death-Q was defiantely creepy or possibly poorly wo....nope just creepy. You can't really try to rationalize away the creepy from that question. I wasn't there for the stabbing-thing cause I left sunday...but that is mildly disturbing and kind of hilarious. wish I had been there on sunday to partake in that little bit of akwardness.
                            also I think if rodney came to a con ...he'd be there for about thirty seconds before a herd of screaming female gaters swarmed him and passed him around like...something that's cheap and not pg rated and apropriate on the board(you know he'd love it). and doesn't he have better things to be doing than going to wormhole extreme cons...I mean hello trying to save the galaxy daily.And I would expect to see him at a battlestar con way before a stargate one because hello six is so made for Rodeney.LOL... I'm going to go hide again.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess
                              Hi again Lida:

Best wishes

Arctic Goddess
                              Artic, you need NEVER worry about anyone thinking you are a twit....hero, maybe, but twit NEVER. You not only made a very special moment happen at the Con, you donated a large sum of money to a great charity. I'd say that makes you very special, at least to me.

Thank you again....it was great fun and boy, are the pics of Cliff terrific!!!!!!
                              On fighting:

Comment

Thanks. I do feel better about that now. You guys are the best.
                                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X