No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try and track down a copy of "Cruise of the Gods" on DVD. It's a one off comedy about a fading actor who was the star of a cheesy 80's Brit Sci-Fi show "Children of Castor" who's so despearte for cash, he goes on a fan cruise...
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by drjacksonfan
      i think getting fan fic signed is a bit of an iffy thing for me personally. i've heard of people who've made collages and had them signed. i can understand that but fan fic i'm not so sure. personally i wouldn't i really have a hard time sharing what i write. fan fic for me is a way to combine two things i enjoy. i would be very cautious about doing such a thing especially if you spend good money for an autograph.
      Putting a piece of fanfic in front of an actor is an iffy propostion at best. First, if an actor signs a piece of fanfic, even a cover, could someone later say said actor read the fanfic and hey, I'm suing, cuz 3 years down the road the actor wrote a script that sounded similar? Second, what if the actor is uncomfortable in signing fanfic? Especially if someone is stupid enough to put slash fanfic in front of them (even without graphic images, etc.)? Then the actor might say 'uh, no thanks' and maybe the fan might get upset and all around wouldn't be good. At least if you're going to go ahead anyway, make sure the fanfic is something that isn't R-rated or slash.

Some conventions (the more monetarily-oriented ones like creation) won't let you get personal stuff signed as hey, they want you to go buy something overpriced in the dealers room to be signed.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        Putting a piece of fanfic in front of an actor is an iffy propostion at best. First, if an actor signs a piece of fanfic, even a cover, could someone later say said actor read the fanfic and hey, I'm suing, cuz 3 years down the road the actor wrote a script that sounded similar? Second, what if the actor is uncomfortable in signing fanfic? Especially if someone is stupid enough to put slash fanfic in front of them (even without graphic images, etc.)? Then the actor might say 'uh, no thanks' and maybe the fan might get upset and all around wouldn't be good. At least if you're going to go ahead anyway, make sure the fanfic is something that isn't R-rated or slash.

Some conventions (the more monetarily-oriented ones like creation) won't let you get personal stuff signed as hey, they want you to go buy something overpriced in the dealers room to be signed.
        my thought exactly on the fan fic stuff. i'd be worried about someone going hey wait a minute that was my idea so and so stole my idea. time to call my lawyer.

i know one convention that i went to if you bought the 8x 10 photo you automatically got it signed. it cost like ten dollars a photo or something. not bad i think. wish more conventions where that way.
        sigpic

Request signatures/wallpaper here.
        check out everything i've made so far

Comment

I usually buy a pic at the Creation cons, but I've seen plenty of people getting stuff signed from home, from DVD set covers, jackets, shirts, shoes, etc., so Creation must not consider it to be against the rules.
          EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITIES, ONE STARGATE AT A TIME

Comment

I think it also depends on the guest doing the signing. Some people think - hey you paid to get my signature I'll sign your (insert said item here) but then some are more conservative.
            ***THIS SPACE FOR RENT***

Comment

Etiquette rules for future cons:

1. DO NOT INSULT THE ACTORS!!! Even if you think they're doing something wrong or that they're complete hacks or even if you just hate the way they part their hair, don't cop an attitude with them about it. It's incredibly rude, massively arrogant and it's also highly embarrassing to the rest of the fans.

2. Don't be creepy. Keep your morbid fascinations and bizarre phobias to yourself. If you have some kind of death fetish, please don't share it with the rest of us and certainly not with the actors. We're all here to have FUN, not to think about death, violence, and whether or not we'll be stabbed to death in our sleep.

3. Keep your kids under control. Cons can be overwhelming even for grownups, it's even worse for kids. Be sure to schedule lots of "down time" for them and if you notice them starting to get out of control, take them somewhere to calm down. Oh and please leave the screaming infants with the nanny.

Comment

**applauds ShadowMaat**

I am a little miffed by some of the things I heard happened this weekend. The guests give their time (yes they get paid but they still give up say - a weekend taking the kids to see their grandparents) and they get crap from attendees in return. So not cool.
                ***THIS SPACE FOR RENT***

Comment

Shad, I'd have thought number 3 would be a given!
                  sigpic

Comment

1. DO NOT INSULT THE ACTORS!!! Even if you think they're doing something wrong or that they're complete hacks or even if you just hate the way they part their hair, don't cop an attitude with them about it. It's incredibly rude, massively arrogant and it's also highly embarrassing to the rest of the fans.

Yes, it's amazing, but you see it done.

2. Don't be creepy. Keep your morbid fascinations and bizarre phobias to yourself. If you have some kind of death fetish, please don't share it with the rest of us and certainly not with the actors. We're all here to have FUN, not to think about death, violence, and whether or not we'll be stabbed to death in our sleep.

However, at a CSI con (if there ever was one) that would be appropriate behaivor But I haven't seen that kind of stuff at conventions, although I've had some great conversations with EMTs and doctors at cons, and perhaps some folk think discussions of emergency medical procedures is gross, but it depends upon your interests

3. Keep your kids under control. Cons can be overwhelming even for grownups, it's even worse for kids. Be sure to schedule lots of "down time" for them and if you notice them starting to get out of control, take them somewhere to calm down. Oh and please leave the screaming infants with the nanny.

I'd like to say, as someone else said, that's a given, but FAR TOO MANY PARENTS let their brats (yes, and I use that word here) run wild anywhere. One local store where I am has put finally put up a sign that unrully children will be ejected. And this is a grocery store! When I was a kid I heard the adage that children should be seen and not heard and now that I'm an adult, boy, I sure understand it. 'Gimme. I want. SCREAM! (if they don't get what they want) I'm sorry, but children aren't entitled to act like little hellions and I"ve been practicaly flattened by kids running wild at cons. Not cute. and, don't know if anybody else notices this, but now kids are getting more cellphones so add that to the mix.... Babies on the other hand can't help crying but their parents shouldn't bring them to a crowd situation. I've seen some cons that actually offer babysitting services.
                    Last edited by prion; 28 March 2006, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

Wow. Must have been an interesting convention.

I especially agree with number one. These people don't have to be there. The fact that they are should be a bonus. The old adage is still true, if you don't have something good to say, just keep your mouth shut.

And number 3, oi. When I went to Gatecon in 2002, there was this kid there, maybe 2 or 3 years old, that was constantly crying and half the time the parents didn't bother to take them out. On the Monday after the con, me and two friends were touring Vancouver. Sitting in a fairly nice restaurant on Granville Island, we hear a familiar sound. Yep, it was the same kid, crying in the restaurant, disrupting everyone, and no one doing a thing about it. But it gets even better. On the trip home, on the plane, guess who? You got it, same kid, same cry. It's like they were following us. *shudders*
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

All very valid points. There were a few disturbing moments at the 2006 vancouver con (namely a kid named carter and a chick who asked some pretty "interesting" questions). To be honest, behavior like that takes away from the con experience for everyone, and i found it rather disturbing that such behavior goes on.
                        Last edited by TechnoWraith; 28 March 2006, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                          All very valid points. There were a few disturbing moments at the 2006 vancouver con (namely a kid named carter and a chick who asked some pretty "interesting" questions). To be honest, behavior like that takes away from the con experience for everyone, and i found it rather disturbing that such behavior goes on.

for those of who did not go, just what were hte 'interesting' questions? I read something about some fan going on about JF's elf ears (sounds like someone toooo into LOTR).

Comment

Hi again Technowraith. I'm following you around the boards stalking you. Muwahahahahah!

Actually, the two people you mentioned, little Carter and the young woman, have developmental disabilities. The wee lad had only recently been diagnosed, so his being a handful was understandable. The woman had two other ladies with her to assist her at the convention. Unfortunately, people who are disabled and act much younger than they appear, will ask questions that most of us consider socially unaceptable. I don't know if there is a solution to that problem, but it may give everyone a bit of background as to why the behaviour was as it was. I run a company that provides assessmentsand counselling to people with disabilities, so if anyone wants further information, please PM me.
                            I hope that helps.
                            Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Hey Techno, it was great meeting you.

Now about the above points.....Carter, the child in question, was at the same Con last year, and I got to meet and speak extensively with his parents. I did the same this year. Carter suffers from a medical disorder called Asperger's Syndrome, a type of autism. He is doing extremely well, and his parents are devoted to making his life as "normal" as they can. I found him to be delightful, as did the stars. He was much better behaved this year, and provided many light hearted and funny moments.

As for the "other" guest (the small, very strange blonde, who asked some very, um, controversial and decidedly "different" questions, such as asking MS how he would like to die in RL)......was that really a female? A group of us there couldn't decide on the person's gender or age. Comments very welcome.....please.
                              Last edited by Lida; 28 March 2006, 12:13 PM.
                              On fighting:
                              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Hi Lida:

I didn't get to meet you. Sorry. I wanted to tho. I've heard a bit about you, so was somewhat disappointed I didn't find you.

I have one more pet peeve. Anyone who attended the dessert party or brunch had the opportunity to visit with the actors as they came around to the tables. What really annoyed me were people who made a point of "saving" a chair beside themselves to get the actor to sit beside them. One group did that to me at the desert party. There was an empty chair next to me, not planned, it was just there. A woman in the group had her friend change seats and sit right next to me so that she would have the empty seat beside her. I attempted a negotiation saying, that we should move the empty seat so that the people at the table all have a chance to be next to or close to the actors. She ignored me. So, I'd suggest at the next con people attend, negotiate ahead of time with your table mates to have the empty seat move around the table.
                                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X