Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing in a new galaxy (New Gate & DHD concept art)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing in a new galaxy (New Gate & DHD concept art)

So, I'm a fanfic writer, but my fanfic has gone off the rails a little. As in, I rarely write show canon characters anymore, most of it is original characters. It has reached the point where I've decided to start a new spinoff in a new galaxy just for the fun of building a new world.
    That said, a new galaxy requires a new type of Gate, right? Because the Ancients seem to have designed new gates at every opportunity (Milky Way, Pegasus, Destiny...one can imply other, further away galaxies might have had different gates based on what materials were on hand and improved designs etc).

Things to know:
    • First image was concept testing while I was trying to decide what the gate should look like
    • This is not final, just sketches with the purple accents added to see if purple made sense for this Gate.
    • This galaxy and storyline relies heavily on Greek mythology since I think that mythos was severely underused in Stargate as it stands, there are so many stories and such that could have been worked into the Stargate mythos.
    • The symbols are runes instead of Greek symbols if memory serves, because I could not find enough Greek symbols to do up the whole thing and the original SG-1 Milky Way gate already uses constellations.

A bit of backstory, the city this story starts in is called Elysia. She was designed in Pegasus and initially used alongside Atlantis to fight the Wraith, an updated version of the Atlantis Class city ship perhaps, but during the Wraith-Ancient war, the Alterans' society fractured and one of the factions took Elysia and left Pegasus. They didn't flee to Earth or the Milky Way, they fled the opposite direction to another galaxy.
      They took it to the Asteria Galaxy, where the damaged city ship was landed on an uninhabited planet. A rough landing (as some of the damage was to the navigation computers and sensors) put the city half on land, half in the water. Elysia does use ZPM power, however she also has a very distinct core that holds the Ancient database and control coding. ZPMs are her batteries but the computer core is separate.
      Somewhere after Elysia's landing in this new galaxy, disaster struck, a young Alteran woman whose English name is Pandora opened the city to an alien. She didn't understand why the others in the city wanted to keep hidden behind the shields and not get to know the locals, but this alien betrayed her. It caused an overload in the core.
      While her people were fleeing through an unstable, glitching wormhole, Pandora was in the core room trying to save the city. She entered the actual computer core, hoping to use herself to stop the overload, and she ascends after sacrificing herself. The overload is in the end stopped, but the other ascended Ancients decided that since Pandora was the one who "opened the box", her punishment would be to eternally protect Elysia. Pandora is now part of the city, one with the city's core essentially. She is Elysia's last hope. Stargate twist on Pandora's Box, Pandora is the hope left in the box.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I don't suppose you have more information in regards to this. Like what will the new enemy be? Or who the new characters are?

Or better yet, is there a place where we can read this?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Concept artist here. For your glyph, maybe you can look which constellation ancient greek have that we haven't kept ? Or just flat out create new one. After all, that's what they do for Atlantis. Purely invented new constellation. Or if you want to lean more on the abstract side like the gate in SGU, why not simply use greek alphabet ? Found a nice font and voilà!

Comment

Just what i was looking for: im working on a new Enemy ...not sure in wich part of the galactik war but i thought im adding them to pegasus because the series says there are still more high technological species.

The species is named the "Dera" they are technogically ranked similiar to the asgard, and grace. They made it to the level of the Tollanian before they started implementing ancient technologie into theyr own.

I already have theyr ship and architectional design.

20231015_151042.jpg
        I will add 3D models of theyr ships, planets ect. soon. Right now i can only draw pictures and design prototypes. What this thing is used for will be explained soon just that info: its a big problem for anyone who wants to fight them in space! For good reasons...

Comment

So, thats already the 3rd drawing of an concept today, enough for today.

Im presenting: the Dera shuttle "Ahlero class"

It is shielded and powered by a Naquadah-hydrogen reactor.

The reactor produces 0.034 gA/h

Crew: up to 7 persons
          Weapons: 2 light Dera plasma cannons
          hyperspace: yes
          shield: yes
          invisible mode: yes
          beam func: no
          armor: steel-naquadah

gA/h= (GateAmpere per hour): energy that a gate needs to open and (-hold-) for 1 hour.

20231015_204550.jpg

Comment

I wouldn't mind to see much more different gate systems in other galaxies. Imagine if we could get a few spinoffs then there could be 4-5-6 different gates as well.

How I would design a new galaxy or gate system :
            - establish what base do you plan to use and why is it unique within the local gate system
            - when you imagine your new heroes then setup a future goal what they want to do day by day and why do they return their base instead of staying at the new locations
            - when you imagine your new enemy then imagine how can they be interesting enough to a challenge for the heroes, but they should also have a weak spot to be able to be defeated too
            - the new enemies should have an agenda why they want to capture the heroes or to conquer that particular base or location where your stories are based
            - the gate system should placed on the timeline whether it is the proto version (U), the normal version with different glyphs (MW) or an advanced one (P)
            - if there are humans in that galaxy then how did they end up there which need to be explained
            - and add a little mythological touch from Earth and voila we have a working, believable gate system
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

20231021_170924.jpgHere we have the Isigla warclass Battleship. A heavy destroyer with 3 plasma-beam weapons on the front and 2 on the back. Also 4 frontal Ion cannons for lighter targets. This ship is about 1450 meters long and needs for full function a crew of only 12 Deraner. Its a complete overworked version of the Isigma destroyer that was used during the war against the ancient-like race in ~1939 earth time.

Comment

Wow. You are really talented, Mikorsky!

Here are some other alien ships' hull design from a PC game called Ascendancy for more inspiration :

https://b-sting.nl/ascendancy/ships-hulls.html
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

First:???? thanks! Thanks for the link, there are some interesting designs thats right. I took a break from computer-artwork in the last few days... (Used the time for watching Stargate of course ) but now i started working on my stargate fan-project and finished the star-gate and its vortex animation today.

AndromedaGate.jpg

Comment

It looks great. Just don't forget that only 7 chevrons should be lit not all 9 of them.

I have tried to imagine other type of gates n my own brainstorming thread:
                    - like a new gate which can open up into 9 pieces similar to Ori supergate so medium sized ships can go through
                    - like a new gate which works as a chameleon as it mimicries the gate system where it was planted
                    - like a new type of ship which can rebuilt itself around an advanced stargate and then the gate will show up in its hangar
                    - like a new gate which has got such advanced DHD will scan the traveller and the flashing 7th symbol shows whether to safe to cross to the other side
                    - like a new gate which got own "soul" as we would learn the inner chrystal are from the Unity race (the blu chyrstals) so they got semi conscience
                    - like a new gate which got such a DHD that it has got a built in tour guide which is actually a jinn type of entity
                    - like a new Nox gate which can swap into transphase mode
                    - like the Asgard gate where the chevrons scan the runes in the air and the gate system will let you beam through the other side as the normal wormhole dematerialize organic and unorganic life as a safeguard for the replicator threat
                    - like the Ori stargate which has got oval shape like their symbol, but it will open up to a circle while a third part comes up from the stairs

So the local group is covered with plenty of new gate systems in my fan canon.

Last edited by Platschu; 24 October 2023, 06:49 AM.

Comment

About the 7 Chevrons.. right! I missed that part , i think i let all 9 light up when we have an incoming wormhole. Right now i don't have any Chevron animation though. Im sadly not used to 100% of all the Stargate-Laws ;D but that's why we have a community!

Comment

Working...
                      X