No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They say they will still be involved in charity for AT and RDA, does that mean Gabit? I hope so
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Well, they likely have to change. Look at shows like Sanctuary, most of it is virtual. not many props to be made or to be sold

I think it's less a 'going out of business' and more a 'we're changing our way of business so we can stay in business'

I'm sure the recent economy hasn't helped either. Less disposable income, less of a reason to buy a pretty dust gatherer, less sales for them.

I for one no longer seek props like i used to. I got very disillusioned with online auctions with mysterious bidders using brand new accounts, that upped everyone's bids yet never won and the - to me - ridiculously high prices on some of the stuff - not necessarily Legend's fault, but prices driven high by those with the willingness to go into debt paying large sums and taking things out of reach for most others.

(Please, no offense meant to those that have bought stuff. I'm happy for you, I kinda envy you the wililngness to have fun and get something you want and I'm not judging or being nasty in any way, if it comes across that way, then I apologize.)

In the past decade or so, the studios have seemed to treat the sale of props and memorbilia not as 'let' get rid of the stuff we dont' need' but as 'wow, look, a good income source'. more and more mass produced stuff, overpriced because they know fans will pay.

And I reached a point where i realized that i have a lot of 'stuff'...stuff that I don't really need. the things I'd really want to get are usually the things that other fans also want, so they go for really high so....less stuff for me to dust

I wish them lots of luck.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
        Latest Legends Memorabilia News. I searched for an appropriate thread, but thought of the awesome relationship Gabit and Legends had together and felt it would be okay to post here.
        Spoiled for length
        Spoiler:
        LEGENDS MEMORABILIA: A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
        LEGENDS has been in the memorabilia business now for 15 years, of which the last 8 years have been focused on props and costumes through our innovative Studio Asset Sales Program. In the past year or so we have seen the very nature of the behind-the-scenes activities of the prop industry change, to the extent that it is no longer a business that we wish to pursue.
        As many of you know we are a family-run business and although we have enjoyed building a company that we are proud of, our family is now preparing to take the next adventure.
        As a consequence, we have decided that it is time for Legends to leave the prop industry. Following the conclusion of our Richard Dean Anderson 'MEET THE MAN' event in Vancouver this August, we shall effectively be closing Legends - at least as you know it.
        But it's far from over! We are returning to our roots and shall be opening a superb new memorabilia store in Langley where we shall be specializing in memorabilia from the world of Film/TV, Music, Sports and History. A quieter life beckons us and the new Legends gallery will take us back to where we started.....and where we feel we belong after our years serving the prop industry.
        In addition to the new store, we still plan to maintain our web presence and shall be continuing our STARGATE AUTOGRAPHS project as well as our charity fund-raising activities with RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON and AMANDA TAPPING. Stay tuned to our website for some interesting news on that front, we are working on some projects that we know you will love!
        Between now and August we shall be liquidating virtually all of our prop and costume assets as we make way for our new life with other memorabilia. We invite you to check legends-memorabilia.com from time to time for details of the many great sales we shall be holding in the weeks ahead, including our Stargate Autograph Sale (now on our website) and then a great sale of ANDROMEDA Props and Costumes which will commence in mid-February.
        For many years we have brought you a great selection of items from STARGATE, THE OUTER LIMITS, ANDROMEDA, THE X-FILES, WINDTALKERS and more. During that time we have amassed a client base that now spans 75 different countries around the world....an achievement that we're extremely proud of.
        But most of all it is YOU, the fans of these shows that have enabled us to enjoy these past years so much. Many of you have become good friends to us here at Legends and as we start to wind down this phase of our business, we would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who have supported us so well over the years. We are very grateful at how Legends has been embraced by the Stargate and Andromeda groups - the best, most dedicated and generous fans anywhere.
        Thank you all for your support and if you happen to be in the area, drop in to see us. The kettle will be on, the jukebox will be playing and the old movies will be flickering on the wall. You just might encounter the odd Stargate actor hanging out there too!
        Be well...and good health and happiness to you all.
        Paul Brown
        President
        Legends Memorabilia Inc.

I'll certainly miss them and will always have fond memories of stewarding for Legends at Gatecon 2008. Good times and even better people. Farewell and good luck on your new adventure!
        Bummer...but good luck to them all the same...does anyone have a link to their website?? Ta muchly!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Latest Legends Memorabilia News. I searched for an appropriate thread, but thought of the awesome relationship Gabit and Legends had together and felt it would be okay to post here.

Spoiled for length

Spoiler:
          LEGENDS MEMORABILIA: A SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

LEGENDS has been in the memorabilia business now for 15 years, of which the last 8 years have been focused on props and costumes through our innovative Studio Asset Sales Program. In the past year or so we have seen the very nature of the behind-the-scenes activities of the prop industry change, to the extent that it is no longer a business that we wish to pursue.

As many of you know we are a family-run business and although we have enjoyed building a company that we are proud of, our family is now preparing to take the next adventure.

As a consequence, we have decided that it is time for Legends to leave the prop industry. Following the conclusion of our Richard Dean Anderson 'MEET THE MAN' event in Vancouver this August, we shall effectively be closing Legends - at least as you know it.

But it's far from over! We are returning to our roots and shall be opening a superb new memorabilia store in Langley where we shall be specializing in memorabilia from the world of Film/TV, Music, Sports and History. A quieter life beckons us and the new Legends gallery will take us back to where we started.....and where we feel we belong after our years serving the prop industry.

In addition to the new store, we still plan to maintain our web presence and shall be continuing our STARGATE AUTOGRAPHS project as well as our charity fund-raising activities with RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON and AMANDA TAPPING. Stay tuned to our website for some interesting news on that front, we are working on some projects that we know you will love!

Between now and August we shall be liquidating virtually all of our prop and costume assets as we make way for our new life with other memorabilia. We invite you to check legends-memorabilia.com from time to time for details of the many great sales we shall be holding in the weeks ahead, including our Stargate Autograph Sale (now on our website) and then a great sale of ANDROMEDA Props and Costumes which will commence in mid-February.

For many years we have brought you a great selection of items from STARGATE, THE OUTER LIMITS, ANDROMEDA, THE X-FILES, WINDTALKERS and more. During that time we have amassed a client base that now spans 75 different countries around the world....an achievement that we're extremely proud of.

But most of all it is YOU, the fans of these shows that have enabled us to enjoy these past years so much. Many of you have become good friends to us here at Legends and as we start to wind down this phase of our business, we would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who have supported us so well over the years. We are very grateful at how Legends has been embraced by the Stargate and Andromeda groups - the best, most dedicated and generous fans anywhere.

Thank you all for your support and if you happen to be in the area, drop in to see us. The kettle will be on, the jukebox will be playing and the old movies will be flickering on the wall. You just might encounter the odd Stargate actor hanging out there too!

Be well...and good health and happiness to you all.

Paul Brown
          President
          Legends Memorabilia Inc.

I'll certainly miss them and will always have fond memories of stewarding for Legends at Gatecon 2008. Good times and even better people. Farewell and good luck on your new adventure!

Sorry to hear that. I haven't bought anything online from them (unless you count SE and MTM tickets) but have certainly purchased photos to be autographed and auction items at Gabit events. I have also seen their incredible generosity first hand as they have donated items and money to the Gabit charities.

I wish them well in their continued venture.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          Well, they likely have to change. Look at shows like Sanctuary, most of it is virtual. not many props to be made or to be sold

I think it's less a 'going out of business' and more a 'we're changing our way of business so we can stay in business'

I'm sure the recent economy hasn't helped either. Less disposable income, less of a reason to buy a pretty dust gatherer, less sales for them.

I for one no longer seek props like i used to. I got very disillusioned with online auctions with mysterious bidders using brand new accounts, that upped everyone's bids yet never won and the - to me - ridiculously high prices on some of the stuff - not necessarily Legend's fault, but prices driven high by those with the willingness to go into debt paying large sums and taking things out of reach for most others.

(Please, no offense meant to those that have bought stuff. I'm happy for you, I kinda envy you the wililngness to have fun and get something you want and I'm not judging or being nasty in any way, if it comes across that way, then I apologize.)

In the past decade or so, the studios have seemed to treat the sale of props and memorbilia not as 'let' get rid of the stuff we dont' need' but as 'wow, look, a good income source'. more and more mass produced stuff, overpriced because they know fans will pay.

And I reached a point where i realized that i have a lot of 'stuff'...stuff that I don't really need. the things I'd really want to get are usually the things that other fans also want, so they go for really high so....less stuff for me to dust

I understand what you mean (and no offense taken). As I said, I haven't bought stuff online but I do feel a degree of guilt in bidding at the charity auctions. On one hand, it is great to raise as much money as possible for the charity whether I win an item or not but I do feel that it is unfair to some fans who can't afford the kind of money being paid for the items. The amount items were sold for at AT4 were significantly higher than at AT3. Gabit does a great job in offering other ways to contribute to the charities and at the same time obtain souvenirs (my only souvenirs have been the badges which I love) or the oppotunity to have coffee or tea with AT for a small charge but I know there are a lot of people who would like to bid on auction items but it is just not possible.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

HI all!

Thanks for the kind wishes. All the ladies are in good form.

RE: AT5...yes! I shall be there...why do you think I have signed on for 3 months of night time feeds??? Brownie point Central!....of course if I fall asleep at AT5, somebody please wake me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk soon all

S'n'T
            "You know Jack, for an Irishman, you never were much of a talker."
            Sara O' Neill's father;
            COLD LAZARUS (Season 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I've had varied success bidding online myself. I've gone down to the wire, bidding more than I wanted for an item, only to (thankfully) lose out. On the flip side, I've also won a few, but on a few occasions was slightly disappointed in the item when it finally came in the mail. Not exactly what I was expecting but I can't blame anyone but myself for that. Descriptions for items usually are apt.

I was most likely going to browse the Legends site later to see what they have, not certain if I will buy anything yet though. I still love auctions as you on the very rare occasion can get a real gem, but for the most part I love the tactile experience of seeing an item in person before deciding to buy.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              I understand what you mean (and no offense taken). As I said, I haven't bought stuff online but I do feel a degree of guilt in bidding at the charity auctions. On one hand, it is great to raise as much money as possible for the charity whether I win an item or not but I do feel that it is unfair to some fans who can't afford the kind of money being paid for the items. The amount items were sold for at AT4 were significantly higher than at AT3. Gabit does a great job in offering other ways to contribute to the charities and at the same time obtain souvenirs (my only souvenirs have been the badges which I love) or the oppotunity to have coffee or tea with AT for a small charge but I know there are a lot of people who would like to bid on auction items but it is just not possible.
              *pokes EH-T* There was a few items I was bidding on at AT5. I had a cap though (depending on what the item was) and I'll always remember your voice chiming in with bids much higher than I could go which definitely took me out of the race.

It was all for a good cause though so I felt no hard feelings and was awed at the final grand total donated to both S4K and Hearing Dogs. Kudos for everyone who donated!

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                Bummer...but good luck to them all the same...does anyone have a link to their website?? Ta muchly!
                http://www.stargateprops.com/catalogue/default.asp

Mumsey
                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Shirt'n'Tie View Post
                  HI all!

RE: AT5...yes! I shall be there...why do you think I have signed on for 3 months of night time feeds??? Brownie point Central!....of course if I fall asleep at AT5, somebody please wake me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk soon all

S'n'T
                  Haha ... nice!!

*must find something hubby wants to attend in 2011 lol*

I won a couple of items in the legends online Hearing Dogs auction, which was fun to do and also for a good cause. I'm glad to hear they're continuing the charity part of their work where possible and wish them well in their new business.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shirt'n'Tie View Post
                    HI all!

Talk soon all

S'n'T

Major brownie points for that!

*pokes EH-T* There was a few items I was bidding on at AT5. I had a cap though (depending on what the item was) and I'll always remember your voice chiming in with bids much higher than I could go which definitely took me out of the race.

It was all for a good cause though so I felt no hard feelings and was awed at the final grand total donated to both S4K and Hearing Dogs. Kudos for everyone who donated!
                    Usually one feels guilty for not giving to charity not the other way 'round.

If it makes folks feel better, I was also on the other side of that. The evil (but lovely) Flow deliberately bidding against me.

I actually apologised on Sunday to a gentleman I was bidding against on an item. He won it but I felt a bit bad for driving the price up. However, he was a very good sport about it.

Comment

Usually one feels guilty for not giving to charity not the other way 'round.

If it makes folks feel better, I was also on the other side of that. The evil (but lovely) Flow deliberately bidding against me.

I actually apologised on Sunday to a gentleman I was bidding against on an item. He won it but I felt a bit bad for driving the price up. However, he was a very good sport about it.
                      Honestly, I would have loved to take home a bit of Stargate memorabilia, but I was happy for others and know every little bit helped out two worthy charities. Heck we set an amazing goal that I do hope we bypass at AT5. *nod*

I think my favorite moment, besides Neep's going pantsless crusade, was the bucket passed around in the hall and how everyone opened up bags, walllets and dug into pockets to fill it up. Was quite a sight to see. Of course, the tantalizing prospect of Amanda twirling her baton in connection with that bucket being passed didn't hurt either.

Comment

Hehe... the pants thing. I have actually felt confident enough to wear shorts several times this summer because hey- there isn't a hall full of people taking photos of me.
                        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                          Hehe... the pants thing. I have actually felt confident enough to wear shorts several times this summer because hey- there isn't a hall full of people taking photos of me.
                          You know for AT5 your going to have to come up with something to top this last crusdade, you know?

Comment

You know for AT5 your going to have to come up with something to top this last crusdade, you know?

Emphasis on the word "top?"

No one else reacted when I flashed Julia to try and make her spit her tea. A lobby full of straight faces.
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                              Emphasis on the word "top?"

No one else reacted when I flashed Julia to try and make her spit her tea. A lobby full of straight faces.
                              I can see this might get very expensive for me in donating money to keep Neep's top on, have to protect the reputation of the nieces you know.

Comment

I can see this might get very expensive for me in donating money to keep Neep's top on, have to protect the reputation of the nieces you know.
                                While I, on the other hand, may have to donate more just to counteract your efforts. Neep topless? Are you kidding?

Comment

Working...
                                X